Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

MINI ULTRA STICK,,,,,, ITS AWESOME

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

MINI ULTRA STICK,,,,,, ITS AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINI ULTRA STICK,,,,,, ITS AWESOME

I finally flew my mini ultra stick the other day as the winds finally calmed down. I was a little concerned as I never had luck with electrics. HOWEVER this plane is AWESOME. It flew like a dream. It just needed a little trim and then it was flying perfectly. No bad tendencies, no stalling, no nothing just straight and level flight. The dual rates are awesome as I can do about 5 to 7 rolls before it starts to drop. I have mine set up with flaperons but I see no need for them and I will remove that program from my radio. I love this electric and am looking for more flights.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
flmlm

Default RE: MINI ULTRA STICK,,,,,, ITS AWESOME

fireplug1111,

What type of motor,battery, prop combination are you using on yours?I've got a Mini Ultra Stick in the box myself . I hope to have in the air soon.

Regards
Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
fireplug1111

FLMLM:

Im using a eflite 450 motor a 11.1 volt 1950 mah battery a 10x6 prop. I think its a little underpowered. Im looking to buy a 480 motor a bigger ESC and a prop to go with it. You wont need flaps. Ive tried seveal times to get them to slow the plane and it wont. Flaps are a waist of time and effort.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
dalelvn

keep that same motor just goto a 10X8 prop, what i fly mine on and has unlimited vertical with a 20 amp esc and dualsky 1700 Mah 3S packs
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 PM
flmlm

Fireplug1111,

Thanks for the heads up on your power plant. I've got an AXI 2808 / 20 laying around collecting dust that i'd like to try on my MUS. I know it's a lot of power but I may just use it to see what it'll do. Good Luck with yours

Regards
Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
flmlm

Ok,

I see there's been plenty of hits on this thread and I need some advice for my MUS power set up!

This is my plan;

AXI 2808 / 20
11.1 TP 2100 (first generation)
CC 35 amp ESC
10x5 APC E prop

will this power setup work without damaging my equipment?

I do plan on seeing how many watts this draws on a friends meter but I need some assistance.

Regards
Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
arfdog
My Feedback: (113)

I have a mini ultra stick with a Hi-Max 2816-0890, 1900 Lipo,
ORIGINAL: dalelvn

keep that same motor just goto a 10X8 prop, what i fly mine on and has unlimited vertical with a 20 amp esc and dualsky 1700 Mah 3S packs
20a Esc and 12 x 6E prop and wish it had more power. Would it move out better with a 10 x 8E?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:37 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

My Mini Ultra Stick has a 450 outrunner, 2100 mah lipo and 10x4.7SF APC prop. With this combination, vertical is fantastic, it hovers great and slows down beautifully for landing.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 PM
fireplug1111

I just upgraded to a bigger motor as I did not like the performance the 450 was giving me. I went to a EFLITE 480 35 amp ESC and a 2100Mah Lipoly it has a 11x 3.5 prop and what a differance. This thing will take off in about 8 inches and go vertical at just over 1/4 throttle and not even hesitate. I go to 1/2 throttle and high rate on and I can do about 30 rolls and not even loose an inch of altitude. This plane is extremily inpressive, I LOVE IT. Flaps I have them but no need I can land in about 15 feet.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

flmlm,

I just got my first couple flights in with AXI 2808/20 11x7E CC35 and 3200FMA LiPoly !!
I still have to get the CG right (the FMA "Kokam") is a brick but it flies the Stik like a rocket!
You won't be dissappointed with that Axi on it - you don't have to fly full throttle and you'll get some amazing flight times out of it. I finally landed after 30 minutes because my eyes were tired of chasing that thing around the sky.
You will like that combo. If you get an overamp draw and the engine cuts out - just prop it down. You could go to a 9" if you had to. I don't know the DC rate on that TP LiPoly. I have 20C on the FMA (20 x capacity of 3.2amps)
Old 02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
flmlm

smitty1001,

Thanks for the heads up on the power set up. I can't remember what the C rating is on my TP. I thought it was a bit below 20C but I can't say for sure. I do not plan on flying around at full throttle for extended periods so with a little throttle management I'm hoping to be ok. I'm going to pick up my RX during this week (futuba R114) and have it all ready to fly by the weekend.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:18 PM
slostick

i have been flying a slowstick this fall and winter. after a while i put a himax 2808 0860 on it running either a 8.4 or 10.8 volt battery. i also put ailerons on it. great little parkflyer. now i am almost done with a mini ulta stick. my concern is more about how slow this plane will go and how much area it needs. i bought it after reading about how it was a good transition plane and that it had flaps and could do crow. i thought it would have a wide speed range and be able to slow way down. i did fly a aerobird challenger before the slowstick for a month, but the slow stick is better for really small fields. how slow can the mini ultra stick go? from 30 ft altitude how far till touch down? my slowstick i can decend at 45 degrees or 80 degrees with wind no problem and it just lands with no rolling.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 AM
reiffron

would a himax 2015-4100 on a gear box power this plane
Old 02-26-2006, 08:14 PM
fireplug1111

SLOSTICK:

I can slow this plane down to about 10 mph and it will float in. If you can fly a slostick then you should have no problem with this plane. I would recommond taking it easy for the first few flights and then you will get real good at it. I fly mine at the flying field however the only time I get it more than 200 feet away is when I go vertical and I go until I almost can not see it. If I get it any further away from me than 200 feet it gets hard to see. I really like the colors as I have no problem telling the top from the bottom. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Also no flaps are needed. The only time I use flaps with when I want to slow it down in winds at about 30 feet off the deck. Its kinda cool as it will float in one spot as long as I keep it there.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:36 PM
flmlm

reiffron,

I'm sure that the Himax 2015-4100 would fly the Mini Ultra Stick. I don't believe this set up would be blinding fast but I do believe that it would fly the MUS with some authority.

I've got a Himax 2015-4100 on my E-Starter which weights a little more than the MUS and the 2015-4100 pulls it around just fine.

slostick,

I think the Mini Ultra Stick could be flown on an average size ball field. However, it's no slow stick and has no built in dihedral therefore no self righting tendencies. Good Luck with your MUS.

Regards
Mike
Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 PM
slostick

fireplug1111:
thanks for the info about speed. i guess it will slow doun about the same as the aerobird so no problem. i like doing the stationary flying too. i do it on calm days about 10 to 30 ft up. will have to see how the mus does once i get used to it.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:48 PM
slostick

flmlm:
thanks for the warning about no self righting. i will watch for that on my maiden flight. at least i have practice useing ailerons on the slow stick. the mus is about ready to fly. just have to bolt the wing on. i may have to wait quite a while to get a calm day to try the mus. it has been about 30 degrees and about 10 mph winds. i want to give the poor plane a real chance so want 0 to 5 mph wind.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
slostick

has any one used nimh batteries in the mus? i was told the lipo batteries don't like the cold and i hate to wait a month for warm weather. it has been in the 30's here recently. i have a 10.8 volt battery i coud use.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:15 AM
slostick

i have been using the simulator. there are some planes with no dihedral in it. hopefully it helps. have work to do so i can't go flying today. by the time i get the chores done it will be too windy.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
slostick

i thought of another question. how fast is the wind before you decide it is not safe to fly the mus? for many small planes 10 mph winds are the limit to fly safely.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 PM
slostick

i got the last parts needed to finish the mus and i have only to plug in some connections. all the parts are in the plane. i talked to the guy at the lhs he had just helped a friend build a mus in 2 hours and they flew the plane. it did all sorts of aerobatics. it was awesome. he said i would have to be careful with mine because it has no dihedral. it would want to fall off to a side. my brother said at the speed that plane fies it should be flown at a big ama site. i think this mus is going into the box till the end of summer. i will fly the slow stick and look for a better intermediate park flyer that is a stable slow flyer. the mus is too good a plane to wreck till i am up to its performance. anyone have a good recommendation for a stable slow parkflyer that would be a good step between the slow stick with ailerons and brushless outrunner and the mus?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
flmlm

slostick,

I think your probably headed in the right direction by putting off the MUS until you have a little more experience under your belt. For me the GWS E-Starter was a great aileron trainer. I still fly my E-Starter and have had a great time with it. Good luck and above all else have fun with whatever you choose.

Regards
Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
slostick

when i put ailerons on the slow stick it made it much easier to fly than the rudder and elevator alone. the ailerons give instant powerful control over the roll axis. when a blast of wind upset the slowstick the ailerons instantly were able to level the wings. i had no learning curve to adjust to ailerons. i was able to fly much better with them. it is the no dihedral that i am told may cause me problems. i may try taking the dihedral out of the slow stick and see how it flies. the aerobird i had before the slow stick flew at 10 plus mph so the speed may not be a real problem. i rather crash the $35 slow stick at 5 to 10 mph than the $89 mus at 10 to 20 mph. on the slow stick i would put the stock motor and brushed esc on it for the trial run with the no dihedral to minimize the investment. no use trashing a brushless motor and esc. i also would put on one of those single conversion recievers i recieved with the radio. i usually buy double conversion recievers.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Although the MUS has no dihedral, it is extremely stable and able to fly fairly slow. I have a E-flite 450 with a 10x4.7SF APC prop and it is a great combination. Great vertical and slows down nicely for landing. If you can fly comfortably, you should have no problems with the Mini Ultra Stick.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
slostick

skorman:
glad to hear that about the stability. in the next week or two i should be flying the mus. i am just reluctant to try it because it is such a beauty. don't want to crash it. everyone has told me how great it looks. mine weighs in at 25 ounces with a 10.8 volt nimh. too cold for lipo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.