Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Are park fliers necessarily electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Are park fliers necessarily electric?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 06:48 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are park fliers necessarily electric?

I am considering the purchase of the following kit

http://www.dchobby.com/powered/qtee/qtee.html

I built this plane when i was 13, but it didn't survive the second flight.

I would like some input if it could be considered a park flyer.
Power will be a Cox QRC muffled .049 engine.

The site also has an electric version of the same

http://www.dchobby.com/electric/q-teee/qteee.html

What cell count / capacity would be good for this plane?

Thanx
Jim in Chicagoland
Old 01-22-2002, 12:48 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric ? NO!

Jim,

I am just building my first park flyers - 3 of them all electric, but no, I don't believe they have to be electric. I am gonna look into the .010 and .020 sizes for some stuff down the road. Of course, you do have to consider noise - since I live on 10 acres and will fly in my front yard, the noise will be less than my tractor.

Dan
Old 01-22-2002, 06:11 AM
HitecRedneck

This plane could be considered a park flyer and the quiet cox would be a good choice rather than electric.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:16 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Cellcount/Capacity.

Well looking at the weight for the gas version I would go with a geared speed 400 on 7 or 8 cells this would give you plenty of power for good climbs, then throttle back and float around for a while. Hobby Lobby has some 1100 mah nickel metal hydride batteries which would give you awesome flight times. If you ran NiMh, I would run 8 cells.

A cheap battery that would give decent duration would be a 7 or 8 cell nicad pack, the 600 mah AE packs. The geared speed 400 would be a 6 volt motor and a gearbox with a 2.33:1 ratio would be a good flyer. This would allow you to swing a 9 to 10 inch diameter prop.

If you really built this plane light you could use a geared Speed 280 or Speed 300 with a gear ratio of 5:1. Running a speed 300 on 7 cells, and a 720 Nimh pack would give really good flight time as well.

--Paul
Old 02-15-2002, 02:53 AM
Flash-RCU

Just for the record, a park flyer can be powered electric, rubber, Co2, or be a hand launch glider. I've seen them all and each has it's fun characteristic.

Electric batteries run down, rubber unwinds, Co2 has the best sound, and sore arms and shoulders speak for the hand launchers.

Just go for it!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Slowbatics

I have a Sig Kadet Senior that I could fly out of any park.With its OS 91- 4 stroke up front it will not only fly in the park but straight up and out of the park. After flying for 25 or more years this is the plane I have the most fun with. Im thinking of building a 60 size Fiesler(sp) Storch. Talk about a back yard flyer. WOW
Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Hogan-RCU

Default Q-T

I scratch built mine about 10 years ago. Put a .051 cox, mini servos, and mini reciever in it and it had a bit of a struggle moving. I upgraded to the .074 and it was solved. With the micro electronics as cheap as they are now, I would think a an .049 would have no trouble with it now. I am possibly going to rebuild mine to electric as I have what seems like an endless supply of batteries.
hogan
Old 02-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Hogan-RCU

Default Q-T

I scratch built mine about 10 years ago. Put a .051 cox, mini servos, and mini reciever in it and it had a bit of a struggle moving. I upgraded to the .074 and it was solved. With the micro electronics as cheap as they are now, I would think a an .049 would have no trouble with it now. I am possibly going to rebuild mine to electric as I have what seems like an endless supply of batteries.
hogan