Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS or Wattage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 09:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GWS or Wattage

whats your preference I have (had) 2 GWS sticks but I'm getting a wattage 3D max parkflyer for xmas and just wondered who likes what best?......Rog
Old 12-01-2002, 09:09 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS or Wattage

h had a wattage extra and it was well built but so underpowered it might as well have been a car as it was not capable of getting in the air. however i have had great sucsess with a gws tigermoth it is a great plane. i would not recomend wattage to my worst enemy.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:21 PM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Default GWS or Wattage

I would have to agree w/Brian.Ive got a wattage mini max,not to good,I wouldnt buy another.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:02 AM
jimbo_h

Default GWS or Wattage

I have a Wattage Crazy Max that I have been happy with. It is aerobatic, but not 3D (although I am not good enough to do 3D anyway). It does well on the 8 Cell 5/4 AAA NiMH packs. You might find it challenging going from a Stik straight to the Crazy Max, as they fly very differently. I also feel more comfortable with a larger flying area with the Crazy Max then I do with my Stik and MiniMax.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:32 AM
Flyfalcons

Default GWS or Wattage

I think Wattage is great, I have seen their minimax and crazy max fly. The mini flies like a park flyer, what do you expect from a little foam plane? On the other hand the Crazy Max is quite aerobatic with an 8 cell nimh pack. Definitely not 3D capable, but that seems to be a term flung around by anyone who makes a plane capable of going upside down. The plane was very aerobatic and a joy to watch.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:52 PM
flyinrog

Default GWS or Wattage

Hey ;Bryan? which one did you get? extra that is...the reason I was making the switch to wattage was to later on get the Extra 300L (its blue in the pictures/ and no radio included) and it runs a 400 motor I think $130......? Rog
Old 12-02-2002, 09:48 PM
BRYAN01601

Default GWS or Wattage

THAT IS THE ONE. I would sugest If you plan on getting it to buy some string to hang it from you celing as that is all it is good for. Mine would not get off the ground and bought everthing they recomended. I still have it and contemplate putting a small gas engin in it one of the ones with the tank in the mount. I would never buy wattage again. try Graupner of GWS GWS is made of foam but they fly great.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:24 AM
flyinrog

Default GWS or Wattage

man that just doesnt sound right/?\ I ve heard a lot of good about wattage stuff, by the way I pm'd you,
Old 12-03-2002, 01:02 AM
jimbo_h

Default GWS or Wattage

flyinrod,

I cannot speak about the Extra, but both the MiniMax and CrazyMax have been good planes for me. The only mod that I did on them was to tape the fuse with packing tape and epoxy the firewall.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:03 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default GWS or Wattage

Bryan, Before you go bashing the Extra itself, put a more powerful motor in it. Typically, in my experience and observation, most of the motor setups that come with many of these ARF's arent' up to par for the aircraft. That is the case with the Extra.

There are numerous threads over at www.rcgroups.com about the Extra and how great of flyer it is on alternative setups.

It sounds like you tried the stock setup, found it doesnt work, then gave up. Try some experimenting, or search rcgroups to see what other guys have done and made it successful.

The basic problem with the stock setup is that their trying to get a crappy 400 size cobalt (direct drive) to fly a 28-30 oz plane. Simple logic should tell you that its not going to have much power since typically well powered 400 sized planes weigh 16-20 oz.

If they'd just add a gearbox to swing a larger prop on 8-10 cells they could have excellent power for this great flying plane.

You dont need to spend hundreds of dollars on a brushless setup to get this plane to fly well.

If it were me, I'd get a Graupner Speed 480, a gearbox of some sort/ratio, and run 8-10 cells, and about a 10" prop.

--Paul
Old 12-03-2002, 06:19 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default GWS or Wattage

ok, I ran some #'s, and found a setup that would work, it would push the motor a bit, but you'd get some decent power. You could run a smaller prop (8 x 6) and give up some thrust, but you'd lower your current draw to about 14 amps.

Batteries: 10 x CP1300 mah nicads
Motor: Graupner Speed 480 race 7.2 volt #6330 $22.00 from Hobby Lobby

Gearbox: 3:1 #MJ8102 $12.90 also from HL
Prop: 9 x 6 APC- E prop

Full throttle stats:
Amps 18
Static thrust 36.7 oz
In flight 21.3
Pitch speed: 52.6 mph
Weight with motor, batteries, gearbox, prop, + 10% is 16.83 oz
Full throttle duration: 3.38 minutes

Or try a Speed 500,

If you'd like to try different setups go to P-calc a free online motor calculator here.

http://custompaintjob.com/ezcalc/dma.asp

--Paul
Old 12-03-2002, 08:47 PM
flyinrog

Default GWS or Wattage

lot of nice homework ya did there Elf,, but the thing is it should be good right outa the box, especially as many products as Wattage has, I dont know how long theyve been around but I hear a lot about them so I'm guessing its been a while, anyway if I over "battery" it the motor is only gonna last so long, then maybe an upgrade.......Rog
Old 12-03-2002, 09:03 PM
genovia

Default GWS or Wattage

***i would not recomend wattage to my worst enemy. ***

Do you guys got this backwards??? Watt-age is by far make's excellent ARF's, flyable airplanes, best in the market.

Reason, why newbies fail in flight, not because of the manufactoriers products, but simply, lack the understanding of flight, and the basic key behind E-flight.

****"I would have to agree w/Brian.Ive got a wattage mini max,not to good,I wouldnt buy another."***

Not being able to successfully fly a mini max is funny to me, for this is the easiest airplane that Watt-age makes in it's line of orange planes

Watt-age Extra. I have two of them, both plane are good flyer's. Thought it is underpowered by it's stock gears. Throw them away, the sucks, but the planes build up is sweet. I powered mine BL Mx4T and helical 2.55:1 GB ratio. 9 Hecells ... Pretty aerobatic to me, I'm having a blast w/ it
Old 12-03-2002, 11:59 PM
BRYAN01601

Default GWS or Wattage

the craftmanship in the airfram itself is excellent ! But to market this as a take it out of the box assemble it and use the stock motor and gears is bogus. way underpowerd in this set up. I belive it is misleading to market the plane in the way they do with that set up. I have no other experience on the crazy max etc... nor do I intend to.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:31 AM
genovia

Default GWS or Wattage

****But to market this as a take it out of the box assemble it and use the stock motor and gears is bogus. way underpowered in this set up. I believe it is misleading to market the plane in the way they do with that set up. I have no other experience on the crazy max etc... nor do I intend to.***

It can fly, underpowered no problem as promised by the manufacturer that it will fly, and yes! Watt-age Products do fly, some are underpowered, to that I excuse myself for the confusion. Under power in my opinion because I am used to high speed, and don't mess around with can motors.

Mini Max is easy
Crazy Max, trained me to fly aerobatics, and basic 3D flying ... Whatever the case, I think, and in my opinion, newbies are to eager to fly and when it doesn't go there way, they blame the manufacturer for their lack of fundamental understand of flight
Old 12-04-2002, 03:07 AM
BRYAN01601

Default GWS or Wattage

I belive you two extra's fly very well, Mine would be two if I put twice as much money into it on upgraded motors etc. But to sell this as an electric arf aerobatic plane with a speed 400 motor is not being fair to the consumer(yes it is electric, yes it is and arf, and yes it could be aerobatic with the right set up) my opinion it would have been better for wattage to sell this w/o a motor and gearbox and sell it for around 99.00 with the understanding you will have to provide power. Under this condition I would say it is a fair price and the plane is well built. Like you said Throw away the stock motor and gears it is crap... So why offer it...
Old 12-04-2002, 03:09 AM
BRYAN01601

Default GWS or Wattage

buy the way I would love to see this plane fly 3d. Is this yet another wattage definition or is this 3d, Show me the harrier, The wall, A Blender, And lets see it hover inches of the ground and pull verticle... 3d is more than loops and rolls
Old 12-04-2002, 05:16 AM
genovia

Default GWS or Wattage

BRYAN01601,

Your question should address to Watt-age. Let me drop it down. The cobalt 400 motor that it comes with is under powered, meaning that it can only take you up, but not a demon of a flyer, that you want it to be, and Watt-age cobalt doesn't last that long.

This I think is the only Watt-age airplane, that it's system is getting lot's of bad rep. The rest are AWESOME, all of them

Bryan,

It take's time to understand the fundamentals of E-flight, your just disappointed for you have not gotten to a level where your satisfied. Don't worry, you will level up, just keep flying.

The Watt-age Extra awesome in flight. All of Watt-age planes are proven and rated excellent by Ezone flyer's
Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 PM
BRYAN01601

Default GWS or Wattage

First Off, The Super Cobalst 400 Motor is one that wattage just started putting inthis plane in the last few months. My plane purchased this time last year has a different generic speed 400 motor. The plane I bought a year ago is built very well, but the power package that it comes with is junk. This is my basis for not flying a wattage plane ever again. I have several other electrics that I love, and the best in my opinion are Northeast sailplane products, and GWS. Both are light years better than Wattage
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM
KG2MV

Default Extra 330L

I also bought the Extra 330L last year and tried a number of motors, cells and props and could not get it to perform as I wanted. In the process I had to buy a new wing after a crash.

So now I have an OS .10 LA in it with a 2oz tank and it is a fantastic plane. Can do almost as much as my 40 plane.

Has had over 30 flights. It will be the first one out when the snow melts here in Jersey.

Easy to land on our short strip by the swamp.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:55 PM
pc_pilot

Default GWS or Wattage

I also heard some not so good reviews about the wattage F-22. Personally, I think wattage makes some of the most attractive airplanes but they do not match their power systems as well as GWS does.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:28 AM
JoeyCoates

Default GWS or Wattage

I have both WattAge and GWS, personally I do like the GWS better. I have a WattAge Sukhoi that needed a lot of work to perform properly, and it will still tip stall out of even a semi tight loop, pull up ect. I mean it really takes to a snap. I have made the leading edges of the inner wing sharper and thathelped to an extent, but it should not display this behavior period. Also the Sukhoi is a mid wing plane and on this model it stays whole on top and the wing has a plastic fairing under it to hold the battery and fill the gap under the wing. The problem is after a short period of time the rubber bands which hold the wing to the fuselage start to bend the whole fus in the shape of a bow because there is not much meat above the wing and no support below. This is only using two rubber bands which I thought is not enough in the first place! I eventually put some balsa stiffeners in the bottom fairing to hold the two sides of the fuselage apart when installed. This should have been taken care of from the factory and at the same time I have had nothing but good luck with GWS, just my opinion I guess.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:03 PM
KG2MV

Default Extra 330L

Attached is a picture of my Wattage Extra 330L with its OS 10 LA engine. It flies great now and no longer falls out of the loop. It has had 30 great flights and, more importantly, just as many safe landings.

I still prefer my GWS TigerMoth and Zero. They both flew on stock equipment right out of the box. The TigerMoth has also been great for teaching my 11 yr old and 7 yr old kids how to fly and I hope to move them to the 46 planes this summer. I also intend to put foam floats on the TigerMoth now for some snow landings and water this summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60811_29349.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	24162