Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

suggestions for my very first plane/park flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

suggestions for my very first plane/park flyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM
DIVR6347
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for my very first plane/park flyer

hey
first off i am a complete newb to this flying deal i have an aero ace that im trying to learn the basics on but other that that if it dont say rc 10 or duratrax evader st pro
i have no idea about it
i need a durable ready to fly plane for a reasonable price say under $100
if possible i have a park not 30 yards across the street with a large open area to fly it in but i think that something with a 24 or 26 in wingspan would be the ticket
any advice for a shorter wingspan easy to fly/learn to fly plane and also where to buy online would be great
remember i am a complete newbie
thanks guys
divr6347
Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 AM
spookythecat

Default RE: suggestions for my very first plane/park flyer

well, i haven't flown one of these planes personally but i'm planning on getting the 4 channel version once the planets align and i've got the money and they've got the plane up.

it's the parkflyers cessna 182. it comes with everything you'd need and i'd suggest going with the 3 channel for being a beginner. they've got 'em on ebay pretty cheap. check the link below. it's probably the best you'll find for the price you're looking at. otherwise, i can tell you the parkzone cub or decathlon are both good starter planes and they can take a pretty good beating. you should be able to find one for around $160.00. also, if you've got a local hobby store that carries r/c stuff they should be stocked up on spare parts for them. i've heard the parkflyers planes aren't as easy to get spare parts for. anyway, good luck and don't feel like you need to rush to get a plane. there's a whole summer of flying coming up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cessna-182-Ready...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-22-2006, 09:45 AM
AJ1202

DIVR6347, I would not suggest the Cessna, that is a plane for someone that has some experience behind them, A good first plane would be something like the Slow Stik or maybe the Firebird Commander II, the FBC II is a 2 channel plane but it is a good plane to learn on and a lot of fun to fly. You can pick one up for around 119.00 and it comes ready to fly
the slow stik would require building it and buying the equipment needed, if you don't already have a radio the cost could get above what your looking to spend
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
flyingace451

I would recommend the Firebird Commander II for your budget. If you ARE willing to spend the extra, a slow stick or a Parkzone Slo V (the slow stick in RTF form) would both be great trainer choices. Slow flying and easy to control. If you don't have a radio already (I'm guessing you don't) than building and buy all things needed for the Slow stick would go over $200 bucks, but that's only if you go cheap on it. I would suggest either the FBCII or the Slo V(about $140)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:42 PM
jmir

Not knowing whether or not I was going to like this hobby, I started with the least expensive plane I could find on E-bay.

I started with 2-channel planes. I purchased an "Air-Vee" complete with radio, ready-to-fly, for about $30. It was cheap! It only took a few flights before I got the hang of it. Later on I purchased a "Vortex" for about $45 also on E-bay. It was a little better, but still very cheap looking. Both of these planes are the "pusher" type. That is, the propeller is on the back and it pushes the plane rather than pull it. This saves lots of propellers and propeller shafts on those unintended landings while learning. Needless to say, I got hooked on this fascinating hobby.

My first real RC plane was the 3-channel, Parkzone J-3 Cub. I had no problems with it since I already had the experience flying the other two planes. I then moved to a 4-channel Cessna 182 and I'm now flying the Parkzone Typhoon, trying to learn 3D stuff!

I guess my point here is that I started with the easy planes and moved on to better planes whenever I thought I could handle them. This is what I would recommend to you, especially if you are not sure if you are going to like the hobby.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM
flyingace451

If you do decide to go on with this hobby, there are PLENTY of people here who can help you find a next plane. *cough*parkzone/hobbyzone stuff*cough*

How is the Typhoon treating you? I was thinking about going with a U-Can-Do 3D EP after I go brushless on my Stryker.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
jmir

The Typhoon flies great for a slow parkflyer. The problem is I'm still learning the 3D stuff, so I don't do that well with that part of the flights. I can do the usual 3 to 5 second hovers, come out of them OK and make it look like I know what I'm doing, but I can't keep it on a hover past those 5 seconds.

I do like to fly low to the ground, especially hovering or harriers, so I've crashed it quite a few times while learning to control it. It's very easy to repair and get back to flying the next day.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it. Don't know much about the U-CAN-DO-IT planes other than there is a fellow nearby that flies a gas powered one, about 80 inch wing span. He does great with it.

I do also fly a Stryker in stock form other than the battery. I use the 9-cell battery that comes with the Typhoon and that's plenty of speed for me! I get around 10 minute flights with it using WOT about 1/2 the time. I do love how it flies and always gets people's attention; even those who make fun of electrics admire the Stryker.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:19 PM
r0bman

I learned VERY quickly with the wing dragon from hobby lobby. can't go wrong for a 3 channel RTF for less than a hundred bucks. And it's FUN. I have a nice little fleet of warbirds, gliders, 3ds, etc. and I bought my friend a dragon for christmas as his first plane and I still have a blast flying it

I'd seriously look no further. http://hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm