Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ready to race the Bear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to race the Bear!

Rare Bear build
I could'nt resist, this plane has been a favorite for a long time. I did not stray from the box stock with these exceptions: Added carbon stringers to the inside of the fuse, changed the motor after the first flight, tossed the tail wheel mount and wire (I think it was intended for the 90 size gas version), changed the gearing to accommodate a 2900kv motor and covered the model with white tape.
Flying
The first maiden went ok but the model is too sensitive in pitch to be comfortable. I moved the cg foreward by 1/2 inch and then she settled down. The stock motor will fly it but I didn't get the feeling I was flying a race plane. I replaced the stock motor with a small 2900kv brushless motor I picked up for $20. I thought the stock gearing to be light so I changed the main gear to a 64 tooth, using the stock pinion. Using an E-tech 1250 3 cell this plane is now ready for the races. It is much faster and you have a lot of reserve power. I did try a different motor, a DIY with around 160 watts and a 10x5 and 9x6 APC props. This is an extreme set-up in my world, I was actually thinking something was going to separate on a high speed pass. The DIY was too light anyways, I had to use a 1700 just to balance it out. I changed it back to the GD. Anyhow, the plane is very stable and could support a "Hemi". Good luck on your build !
Cptn.K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74729.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	413423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35909.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	413424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81591.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	413425  
Old 02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Ready to race the Bear!

Kptn Krunch:
Sweet looking bird. Are the retracts functional? Would think this planes design follows its big brother and, the GP Little Tony, Shoestring, Cosmic Wind and probably Cermark Alley Cat in that the wings are modified from the full scale to a sport flyer wing simply to make them decent sports flyers rather than twitchy hard to control racers. My Little Tony was a good flyer, would even hang on the prop (hover) with a 90, but a dog as to speed. Dont think the plane would be controlable by many rc pilots if it was a true scale. With a hemi, your bird will surly kick most of the other electric birds tails that are at your field, and still be fun to fly! Fast electric birds capable of keeping up with or beatilng the Q-500 are now out there, going to be interesting!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Cptn. Krunch

Default RE: Ready to race the Bear!

Yes, I totally agree. I knew that this plane would be stable when I saw the thick wing and measured the wingload. The plane is so stable it kind of makes the GWS warbirds feel tempermental. No, I did not go with retracts, I just made the gear removable. The only model I have that has a near-scale airfoil is my F-15. The Bear is fast for a Park flyer but the electric pylon guys up here would shred it, they are getting close to nitro speeds now. Of course, the pyon guys don't use a scale airframe. My flying buddy just got one of these too. He will be using the same motor. We've got a race planned!