Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Flyzone Sky Fly

Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
neuroMarauder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyzone Sky Fly

It went well. Wind was 5-8mph, but it handled really nicely. Didn't need much trim. I had three successful soft landings over the pack.

However, I was revving the motor to see if it had the juice for a fourth and final small leg around the field when it starting whirring horribly and then the red nose spinner and the prop sort ofunceremoniously plopped onto the ground. We couldn't figure out what happened, other than the plastic spinner suddenly stripped out for some unknown reason. The third flight had an aborted landing that had me throwing the motor to full power while turning into the wind to avoid both a stall and some white pine. It was a pretty tough little flyer and came through but maybe that began the stripping. I'm glad it didn't happen mid-flight. I'm not so glad that I need to wait until Friday to get it back in the air.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

I assume you have the SF2...the red one. Cheap spinners are usually problematic. If it was out of balance it could eventually cause it to strip. If you can do without the spinner you will probably in better shape.

That is super great that your first couple of flights went well! Can't really ask for more than that.

Rob
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
neuroMarauder

Yes it's the 2 - It didn't even occur to me this might not be the right thread so apologies if I was posting in the wrong place. I wish I could do with out the spinner. I'm not even sure if spinner is the right term. It snaps onto the motor and holds the prop on. Very strange, I wonder if there is a balancing problem but it didn't seem like it was having troubles.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
RTice

As far as I know it is for any sky fly. now they have 3 versions.

Yeah, I guess you can't eliminate the spinner on that design. No problem. It looks like you can replace it if needed with part number HCAA3893 Propeller w/Spinner.

Maybe someone else with a SF2 can chime in and give you some sage advice.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Flow_FX

Has anyone ever replaced the entire body of a Sky Fly plane? Icrashed mine pretty bad, caught a bad gust of wind and it dove straight into the ground, ouch. The nose of the plane is bad and the cross members for the rubber bands dug into the plastic so replacing the body of the plane was needed.

So the question is how to fish the wires from the old one into the new one without too much trouble.

Getting the electronics out is easy enough, but its the fish lines and the antenna that concerns me the most. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
RTice

It can be done, but it is not easy. Someone else might be able to give you pointers.

However, instead of re-doing the fishing line, I would recommend doing the pushrod modification. It is approx the same amount of work, but a much better setup.

See attached for my version, but I would also suggest going back thru the thread for other versions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ki19053.pdf (429.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

ORIGINAL: Flow_FX

Has anyone ever replaced the entire body of a Sky Fly plane? I crashed mine pretty bad, caught a bad gust of wind and it dove straight into the ground, ouch. The nose of the plane is bad and the cross members for the rubber bands dug into the plastic so replacing the body of the plane was needed.

So the question is how to fish the wires from the old one into the new one without too much trouble.

Getting the electronics out is easy enough, but its the fish lines and the antenna that concerns me the most. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

You might look at the cost of getting a new fus and body, I have seen them available in (I think) Hobby Town USA stores. But, the cost is quite high as I remember. IMHO, I would just put the extra money needed and get the latest SF. It is so much better than the old first versions.
I did learn to fly rc with the orig SF and do still have a soft spot in my heart for it.
Bob
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Flow_FX

I have a new body that I can mount all of the electronics to, its fishing the lines through that is the trouble. I wonder if the manufacturer ended up using a thin wire to pull the lines through the tail? Maybe that is the better way to go, using a thin wire instead of fishing line.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 PM
kyracer29

Can you use the skyfly wing on the skyfly 2?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 PM
neuroMarauder

I had a tough crash with my SkyFly 2 recently, breaking the fiberglass rod. I replaced it with a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Works just fine. With all the other little modifications made to fix dings and what not, it's amazing it flies at all. But that's the fun of one of these gliders.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Wow, old thread. I'm just starting out with this plane and wondered if it would be better to use a 2s or 3s lipo in it rather than the 7 cell NI pack? If, so which one of the two would be best. I suppose I tend to over throttle , I'm thinking the 2s.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 AM
guver

Can someone help me get my skyfly 2 in the air? I'm kinda newbie and have an idea of what might be happening , maybe I am missing something.

The first one seemed to dive down too. It was a bit tail heavy and I thought that made it better.

I tried to get the second one in the air today and all systems seem to work fine , but it just falls to ground like the first one.

When I checked the balance like in manual it was balancing behind the lines telling me it needed tail weight. Based on the first one I left it a bit tail heavy cuz I figured that would make it climb better and not nose-dive. I figured that if it was light on the nose it would make it angle upward and stay a flight better.

After pondering this for a bit I realised that with enough power and airspeed this may be true , but it may actually slow the plane down enough to not get enough speed to fly. I only have 15 feet to take off in or hand launch with a bum shoulder. I tried it 3 times with no flight at WOT.

I guess my question could be summed up like this: Might adding some tail weight actually help this to fly and take off , maybe even fly better at slower speeds?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
RTice

When I checked the balance like in manual it was balancing behind the lines telling me it needed tail weight.
Guver:
If it is balancing behind the lines, that means it was already tail heavy. A plane that is tail heavy will pretty much fall out the sky as you mentioned. As they say, a plane that it too nose heavy flies poorly. A plane that is too tail heavy, only flies once.

As a self-proclaimed newbie, you should stick to the instructions, recommended battery, and center of gravity. Planes like the skyfly and skyfly2 are going to fly well when balanced with just an ever-so-slight hint of being nose heavy. I have always balanced my skyfly so that the tail boom is basically parallel to the ground.

Regarding batteries, until you have mastered the skyfly2 with the stock setup, I would not consider trying to upgrade your batteries. Use the standard 8.4V 900mAh NiMH Battery that comes with it.

Once you truly have the hang of it (at least 20 successful flights), you could consider upgrading batteries. You will need to make sure that your electronics can handle a lipo battery (a 2s is 7.4volts and a 3s is 11.4volts).

Hope that helps.
Rob
Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
guver

Your right, I got mixed up. It needs weight in the nose. I am using all stock stuff and won't go to a lighter pack yet since that will make it even worse.

Would there be an acceptable way to remove weight from tail rather than adding weight. I hate add weight to anything. I do have the heavy pack pushed all way up front.

I'm going to play with things right now and thank you for confirming that a tail heavy plane will kinda fall out of the sky. (It doesn't nose-dive  , it just falls nose up)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
guver

After messing around a bit with this on the bench , would it be decent to shorten the tail boom around 1 " or perhaps use a heavier pack in the nose?

Did anyone with a skyfly2 have to add weight to nose? I have a third one I can check too , but I'd bet money it is also tail heavy.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
RTice

Guver:
It is hard to believe that the out of the box skyfly2 won't balance with the stock battery (moving it forward or aft). Did you add extra glue or tape to the tail for repairs?

Trimming the boom is not the best idea since that shortens the plane (usually not a good thing) and probably would not make much of a difference in terms of balancing anyway.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to add weight little by little to the nose until it balances.
Another thing you could do it try to move the wing slightly backwards (if that is at all possible).

Otherwise, check the forums to see what adjustments are needed to get the SF2 balanced and in the air.

Rob
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
guver

I didn't add any weight anywhere before. It was as it came from box.

Yep, got it. I added required weight for now and my balance is right in the middle of factory range. I hope I can work with that. [] I'm ready as soon as it's calm outside. After some successful flights I may try to remove my front weight and then balance by other means using better batery or removing tail weight. I imagine that weight on the tail means a whole lot more since it's 2 feet from the balance point.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
RTice

I imagine that weight on the tail means a whole lot more since it's 2 feet from the balance point.
You are absolutely right. However, in my experience, it would take way more than shortening the boom by 1" to make a difference. I may be wrong, but... I would just hate to see you shorten it by 1", then another 1/2", and then another, and so on. Short planes typically do not track very well.

Usually, if your only choice is to add weight, it is best to add it in a useful form...such as a larger battery or more powerful motor. However, if you can get away by adding just enough of 'dead' weight to tip the scales, then that would be my first choice in this instance.

I hope that puts you on the right track at this point.

Rob
Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM
guver

I guess I am going to need some help with this one. I tried it again and got the same thing. After doing some more forum research and seeing it happen I'm convinced that it is "airspeed" (too slow)

I desire to play around with it because that's my best way to learn , but it get expensive. I might just wait on this plane for an expert to come over and help me out. One post described this plane as a "brick" until it gets going. I do remember the first one I had did indeed take off from the 15' trampoline a couple of times , but having a helper hand launch it was much better.

The only thing I have to compare is my 30 gram albatross and by comparison this thing is HEAVY. I need something very docile,lazy and slow for right now.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM
guver

I finally got this skyfly 2 in the air. It is indeed a brick until it gets going. It was too fast for me for sure , lots of fun though. I nearly crashed it and flew it with 3S for about 6 minutes. I'm not sure it needs 3S , and the motor got about 160 deg F +

I moved the wing back instead of adding weight.

2s might be ok with very little power to spare. Nice would be to install a replacement BL system in it. Does anyone know a "bolt in" motor? Any idea what rpm this stock motor turns at various voltages? I do have a nice 380 bl motor , but it is 4600 rpm/v What rpm do plane props turn?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
zippppy1

Greetings all, Well I got a steal on a used Sky Fly at a yard sale.. $5 plus a couple helicopters.
It was missing the cockpit window and had a taped tail section and no rubber bands.
I use a piece of elastic (the type that are attached to gift tags) and tied knots to get what the rudder and elevator to move proper.
and a couple of rubber bands from veggies at the store.
The front wheel was alittle bent. and the balance was off. So I found a lead wt. and attached it in the nose. it seemed balanced eventually.
Prior to the wt. My first flights were short. took off in a parking lot. landed in an iris bed.. no breaks. then I miss judged the distance and ended up landing up a hill in some lupin.. no problem. took it in the track field and got it airborn and that is where you could see the nose was not heavy enougth just as it almost landed , it headed up.. full power allowed a recover and it tumbled to a stop in the grass... no break.
Went camping in a large field.. a bit of a breezy day. had to toss it to get it airborn.. did pretty good for a first timer. added a little piece of cardboard to the rudder with duct tape. just a small piece.. it did pretty good. but I got it further away from me than I liked and ended up over the highway.. but was able to bring it back ok. even missed the power lines. I got a few flights in with some closee calls with power lines and terees. then I had a calm day. well. only got a couple flights in . the last was plagued with problems, on takeoff.. hand launched, it headed for a tree. I was amazed how it had enough power to climb about straight up and recover.. was going ok then I thought I might have lost some control as it was not responding, but it did and flew around pretty good. until I turned into the sun as it was heading for the power lines.. I lost sight of it (sun) and when I gained it I was pleased it had missed the line but quickily I noticed that tree. it was pulling up until it decided to park.... in the tree one of the two in the huge field hehe. wll the wheel had lost the yellow plastic piece that holds in on.. it had bent eh screw piece. and the wheel mount a little. so I bent the screw.. I think it just broke off at the plastic.. so will epoxy it. then I found the wheel in the grass (not the piece that holds it on) then I cut off a piece of plastic out of a bottle top and drilled a hole in it and pusshed it so it would hold the wheel on. I traded the screw for the rear wheels for the front one then put duct tape over both screws. But I haven't flown it yet. I took it for a ground test over rockes etc.. the wheel is holding fine.
Best 5 buck I spent. and it will fly again. any suggestions on fixes for increasing control?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM
guver

You got your money's worth, for sure. Mine has been crashed and repaired. Waiting for a heavy batery. I think you are on to something with increasing the control surface area or at least the travel. My flights were crazy. I'm sorry that I bought 3 of these , but I am going to keep trying.