Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Flyzone Sky Fly

Old 04-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyzone Sky Fly

Hey, welcome to the addiction!

Yeah I hate it when my plane sits around the house. It seems to get windy right when Im thinking of flying!

Yeah as you'll see, this plane does not like to make steep, or even what would seem to be normal *tight* turns. I guess it's the trade off for being designed to glide really well, and fly in winds. One thing to keep in mind: If you run the battery low to the cut-off point, you ONLY get one more chance to do the 'throttle down and up re-arm' thingy to help power the plane back down for a controlled landing, and its not much of a duration either, maybe a 10 second burst at best. At least with my experience that's how it behaves, unlike my Slo-V where I can keep reseting the throttle and getting some more powered flight at low throttle for landing , if need be.

BTW, those extra batteries, are those stock 6-cell batteries, or did you pick up some other ones that fit the size i.e. I bought a 7-cell (8.4 volt) Firebird *something* battery that was the same physical cell size (2/3A size or something?) and connector, and it's 1000 mah instead of the stock 900 mah, which is also nice besides the extra power. I've also run my Slo'V 7-cell batteries in my Sky Fly on a regular basis (they are lighter but only 600 mah).

Let me know when you go a couple or more hundred feet in the air with this thing looking like a small four-point ufo, and then *try* to glide it back on 0%-25% throttle with a steady breeze, and tell me it doesnt take you at least a couple minutes to do that alone!

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Deltabongo2

Thanks for the info on getting a little more juice for the landings. The extra batteries I have are the stock 900mah ones. When you put in a 7 cell pack, do you have to re-balance the plane?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Slo-V Flyer

No I dont balance my plane when using either my lighter Slo-V 7-cells, or the heavier green 7-cell, although the larger green one's additional cell may add a tad bit towards nose weight, I noticed no problems lifting off the ground or climbing, since its got more power to compensate.

Darn wind didnt give up today, and in my stubborness I flew (for about 30 seconds), I crashed it nose first, not due to the craptastically fast wind, but due to some unknown stupid problem that caused it to not wanna pull up after it dipped its nose. Grrrrrr!!!!! Squished the nose, but I "unbent" it back into shape... mostly..... Ripped the tail feathers off their hinges. Gotta buy new ones and mod them again, epoxy the tail back on for the nth^10th time... again.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
gunnut

Hey guys, I bought my Sky Fly two days ago from my LHS. It's my second plane. My first was a Hot Bodies Skywave. I am pretty confident flying the Skywave but it's getting a little beat up looking. Plus it glitches and I don't like the ON/OFF throttle. So it was time for something new!
The Sky Fly seems pretty well mannered in the air-- I ran a pack through it yesterday. I had a hard time landing it at first until I figured out you have to give it little bursts of power for the controls to respond. I definitely want to try to extend the control surfaces!

I have a bunch of 7 cell packs and I wasn't sure if it was safe to run them-- Now that I read this thread, I can't wait to try it. I have two 600mah nicad 7-cells and one 1100nimh 7-cell.

This is a cool plane, I think the price is right!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey Gunnut!

Thats good you flew it without any major problems. Just make sure you tighten the tiny screws that hold the thumb adjusters for the control cords in the tail, and also as for the batteries, if they are not too heavy than the stock, you shouldnt have trouble with the center of gravity. I use 2 of the the Slo-V plane's blue, only 600mah, but 7-cells and are lighter, but you'll need to get an adapter to be able to plug them into the Sky-Fly's connector, and then I recently got a green 7-cell 1000Mah Firebird *something* battery, same cell size as the stock, but slightly heavier (good for windy conditions I reckon with more power and heavier nose). For some reason, I dont see much of a noticeable difference between the blue and green batteries' runtime.

Let use know how your batteries do. Oh, and yeah, the landing speeds are faster when compared to other slower planes and the controls couldn't be any more sluggish with power off..... No biggy, it looks more realistic [8D] and the landing gear is up to the job of hard landings.

Have fun!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:25 AM
DJ88

Great to hear you guys are enjoying your planes! Mine is pretty battered...especialy the canopy... i have repaired that dang thing 10 times... i need the LHS to get them in stock!

About landing...do you all land with beginner mode or in expert? I fly in beginner and have landed with it on...was wondering if i would get better with expert on since the up elevator would not come on in a turn when gliding down.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I personally prefer to fly and land in Expert mode. Much more control over plane's behavior. But then I've had practice flying over the past year and half with my Slo-V.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
gunnut

I also prefer expert mode. I've had LOTS of practice with my Hot Bodies Skywave. My dad will probably need to use beginner mode. I have really only crashed once or twice, But he always gets my planes stuck in trees! He tends to overcontrol or go into spins. [:@] I wished he wouldn't do it with my planes! He bought the Sky Fly for me though, since he totaled my Skywave(folded the wing trying to loop it, the thing went screaming into the ground at FULL POWER! I was yelling KILL THE MOTOR!!!)
Oh well, since he bought my new plane, I can't hold a grudge . [8D]
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Arrrr!!!!

I drove my Sky Fly from 80ft. above into the ground in my neighbors backyard going WOT today, same thing, tried, TRIED to do a loop. It folded the wings (first time this has happened, probably due to dmg from previous crash). It sitting in my car right now with half a wing, and busted tail for the nth time.. ..... It was funny though, the other half of the wing was still in the air long after. It just spun edge over edge as it came down. That slowed it down which made it move in a direction eventually ending up in another neighbor's yard. Grrr!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
DJ88

Is the sky able to do acrobatics?? I have had the wing fold over just flying... that wing is basically toast... unless i can add a balsa sheet like AAEJ suggests for repair

I had a good flight yesterday....I was way up there... i had to drop some altitude.
Flying is trimmed straight, but when i turn and dip, the speed recovering from the drop bumps up the altitude.
Experimented a bit with Expert on... mostly while landing.. practices.. it was cool.

I grimaced when my son leaned over right on my wing! He creased the top, but not the bottom
Old 04-21-2006, 03:13 PM
knothead64

Hey guys, I have a sky fly also 1 week old.
Real quick about the batts then back to my plane.
the foam battery compartment was made for a 7 cell pack. If you feel in there at the nose you will feel the indention for the 7th bat. So yes 7cell packs are ok.
Now on my madien flight which lasted all of 10 seconds , crashed into some trees and broke right wing slap in half.
swallowed pride and limped broken plane back to car. Proceded to fix with gorilla glue, 4mil coroplast, popsicle sticks, and fg packing tape.
I cut a one inch wide by 29" long strip of the coroplast and gorillaed it to the top of wing at LE. Then cut a 1"x 8" strip(2) and glued these on the TE on either side of the plastic motor cooling thingie. Then covered with packing tape. On the bottom of wing on the broken side I glued two popsicle sticks over the break and taped over with packing tape. Man I have a sturdy wing now!
Fly tested it yesterday and flew great and held up to a couple of cartwheels.
Still I have new wings ordered. But I'm planning to reinforce them with a piece of CF strip and tape up the LE and TE.
I like my little plane alot. My first one and first time flying ever. Seems easy enough to fix in a mishap.
I have hand launched all of my flights, hard to ROG with it. But I'm dying to do some touch and goes.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Slo-V Flyer

You can rog it, I do all the time, unless its too windy, or the ground is too rough. It usually needs some good distance to get up to speed about 30ft or so in good conditions, with those small wheels not helping much to reduce ground/wheel friction. Once it leaves the ground it'll climb up strong.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
knothead64

What about a motor upgrade? I've read that a stryker 480 is a drop in mod and that with a 7cell 8.4v 1100mah batt pack from batteryspace.com is awesome. And U use the stock prop. get stryker 480 for $10 from HobbyZone.com
Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 AM
fiver

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Arrrr!!!!

I drove my Sky Fly from 80ft. above into the ground in my neighbors backyard going WOT today, same thing, tried, TRIED to do a loop. It folded the wings (first time this has happened, probably due to dmg from previous crash).

Same thing happened to me. Had the plane for about a week...bought new wings. 20 minutes later I tried my first "exhilarating loop(s) at will" as it says on the box. Wing folded...came straight to the ground and broke everything. Been at hobbico for a week...waiting to hear back. Had numerous other problems...IMO it's not worth the $100...I am getting a park zone plane!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
gunnut

I guess loops aren't a good idea. I'm glad I haven't tried one yet. I might reinforce the wing a little bit too. I have all kinds of balsa scraps I could use. Or should I buy some carbon fiber?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
LibertyRider

I agree with everybody! The controls are small and don't move much, but I think this is what makes it a gentle flier and made me look pro first time out. The guy that put 'loops at will' on the box lied. There are no loops on the video at the website, nough said. The landing gear is great. The electronics are iffy. The main will break in mid air. I have taped two CF rods to the underside of the wing and folded tape around the leading and trailing edge of the wing and have not had any failures. One real nice cartwheel but did nothing to the plane. For going up and flying laps around the flying field this is a great plane. My last time out I had a battery run for between 15-30 minutes! Got a like that. I'm thinking of trying a 8.4 volt seven cell or trying the Stryker motor install, does it work?
I like mine but I thinking of getting something more responsive. I think I will still fly the SkyFly but I'm thinking of moving to a Parkzone Stryker. That way I could leave the SkyFly stock and let others fly it and get them hooked!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 AM
DJ88

I was thinking of making some wing struts to keep the wing from folding. Do you all know what i am talking about?

Just picture a right angle representing the bottomside of the wing and the side of the fuseloge. the strut would be glued to the wing underside and then screwed into the fuseloge. Any up and down movements of the wing would then be stopped.

I may work on this during the weekend...maybe... but was wondering what your thoughts are on this mod.
Figure this could make my one wing re-usable.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
fiver

I used strapping tape in the field for "struts" when both sides folded up. Worked fine until the tape ripped. The best way to go without impacting the flite is carbon fiber rod. 1/8" or so along the front edge for the entire straight section.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:13 AM
gunnut

My family has a farm in Kentucky, I going there tomorrow-- With my Sky Fly! Hopefully weather will be good for flying. I'll try to get some photos or videos of my Sky Fly doing what it does best! I post them when I return. Hopefully no crashes!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:32 PM
gunnut

I'm back with a video, I'm happy to report that there were no crashes. Winds were calm yesterday so flying was very easy. I ran 7 or 8 packs with no real problems! I tried to fly again this morning but winds were really picking up and I had to make a "forced landing". The plane was hovering right in front of me and I tried to set her down easily[X(]. I lost the little yellow "nut" that holds the nosewheel on.
I modified the control surfaces and it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE! I used scrap foam from some other "dead" planes (that also happened to be yellow!) I cut the extensions out and attached them with foam safe CA and toothpicks. It flies like a whole new plane now-- I was starting to get pretty bold, flying it low and buzzing the family. [>:] I accidentally hit the camera man while making a landing. LOL you'll see that at the end of my video!
Enjoy the video. I'll place a link below along with some photos of the modified tail.[8D]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEs3Mx2YooA]link to my video![/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67106.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	453085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92161.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	453086  
Old 04-30-2006, 06:01 PM
retro2

I purchased the Sky Fly about two months ago and have had a great time flying with it. I actually like flying it in winter more than the summer because you can belly-land it on soft snow very nicely (after removing the wheels). I imagine soft grass would be good as well (don't have that yet). In any case, I'd certainly recommend it as a "first plane" for anyone. Just purchase a couple of extra parts for those first few flights. Oh, and make sure you have a lot of space to fly it in...as others have mentioned, it doesn't exactly turn quickly. IMO it is easier to control in the "expert" mode too.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey Gunnut,

Nice mods on the tail. That's almost exactly how the tail on mine looks! Except not that pretty. I stuck the foam cut outs from my busted tail with duct tape. Not as stiff as using toothpicks though. Brilliant! I gotta try that when I feel like fixing it up again (damn plane likes neighbor's backyard soil too much). It did make it a tad more responsive definitely.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
DJ88

Sweet mod Gannut!! [8D]

You said it flies different... specifically how so?

I took mine out yesterday... it was windy, but i thought i could handle it....I wound up getting caught downwind over the woods..... and of course my battery gave up..... i had to trudge through the woods carrying my son looking up and down for the plane! I had an idea of where it was and when it was dead quiet, i gave the throttle a blast. I heard it! It was to my left in the middle of all the trees... was happy to find it, and there was no damage except for a bit of scrapes to the wing... man did i luck out and learn a lesson!
The forecast said 7-10 mph winds... and that had to be what was up... i should have kept her in the hangar.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:59 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: DJ88

Sweet mod Gannut!! [8D]

You said it flies different... specifically how so?
Thanks for the compliments! The plane feels a lot more responsive, but not too much. I was thinking I'd have to fool around with it for a while but it turned out pretty good on the first try. Now it responds much better shooting landings. before the mod the controls were ineffective when the prop wasn't blowing air over them. That made for some nervous landings! but now with the mod I feel more confident in how it flies.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
raginredneck93

I'm afraid I really don't know what any of you are talking about when you say you've had problems with the wings folding on your Sky Fly's. Were the wings already damaged before they broke? When I first got mine I noticed a bit of wing flex and considered adding "flying wires" to support the wing, but decided it really wasn't necessary. I've even rubber banded my 5 1/2 ounce digital camcorder to the top of the wing and took some aerial video with it, no problems whatsoever except for a bit sluggish on climb out, and you have to land it a wee bit hotter, about half throttle or so. The video can be found here.
[link]http://asifyougiveadamn.blogspot.com/2006/05/wanna-go-for-ride.html#links[/link]

I've flown mine more times than I can count and haven't had any problems with it except for the nose wheel. Every time I would land in grass or a little rough on the pavement the wheel would bend a little to one side then the plane wouldn't track straight on the next take off. Finally after numerous times being bent back straight, it broke off. I simply made a new nose gear out of heavier wire and omitted the coil spring and haven't had any problems since.

I bought mine as a cheap and easy way to get back into flying after a several year hiatus, and for the money I don't think it can be beat. I say that if you're looking for higher performance, buy a higher performance aircraft, just keep track of what you spend because I assure you that it will be more than a hundred bucks, probably a lot more, after all you can barely buy a bottom of the line radio for the entire cost of this plane. It would be nice if it used standard radio gear, but for it's intended use, I think the plane does a pretty good job.

I agree that "loops at will" is a bit of a stretch, with a fresh battery mine will loop OK after a bit of a dive to gain speed, but after about the first minute of a flight they get pretty pointy at the top. I've never tried 7 cell packs, but I know where there are a few that I can get cheap, I'll have to give it a try.

As far as the control authority, allow me to tell you what I've done to mine. First of all, unthread the nifty little fishing line control cables from the control horns at the tail, and instead of running them through the outside holes on the horns, run them through the inside, as in closest to the control surface. This will nearly double the control throw and makes the plane about as responsive as it needs to be, it isn't exactly intended to be a 3D ship after all.

Another neat trick that worked out great for me is to replace the monofilament fishing line with something a little less stretchy. A good braided fishing line works good, I used some leftover Spider Wire that I had in my tackle box but any of the higher quality low stretch, high strength lines would work. Just tie it to the tail ends of the existing lines and pull it through, then make sure that you get it attached firmly to the "servo" wheel by whatever method you like. The best part of this mod is that the Spectra or Kevlar fiber braided lines don't stretch, and they don't get soft when the temperature rises, so after you get your tail surfaces "tuned" with the little thumb wheels, you can put a drop of CA between them and the control horn and lock them in place, that way they don't go out of adjustment every time the tail gets bumped. There still isn't a lot of authority in the elevator, but I think that was intentional. I've noticed that my Sky Fly absolutely WILL NOT stall, even with full up elevator it just glides around slowly gradually losing altitude. With power on I've noticed no lack whatsoever of rudder authority after performing the described mods, mine will turn on a dime, especially if I climb a little first to bleed off some speed, then give it full throttle and full rudder. I've flown a lot of aileron planes that won't pivot as fast.

Anyway, I hope what I've suggested here helps somebody to get better performance out of their planes. The best part of these mods is that they add no weight whatsoever, and unlike adding area to the control surfaces, they don't significantly raise the loading on the "servos", printed circuit boards have been known to crack after all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.