Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flyzone Sky Fly

I got it up for a short test flight tonight before sundown. The wind has been strong today but it quit right before sundown, only a couple of minutes of flight. I was primarily testing the 20 gauge set up. It got great control out of it, very snappy. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll get some longer flight times to get some height out of it and really get some strong testing done. Not needing the rubber bands is nice though.
    I don\'t need no sinkin\' sig...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok need help posting these photos. How is it done?????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hit post reply. At the bottom you'll see a place to upload files. If you do the fast reply at the bottom without going into the post reply button the option isn't there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the photos of my upgrades, i haven't tested them yet but will post as soon as i do. my next upgrade with be the motor, prop and battery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19115.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	875520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qk21184.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	875521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny27468.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	875522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lc48226.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	875523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68436.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	875518  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72488.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	875519  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks nice. The more I play with the 20 gauge wire the less I like it going through the carbon fiber tube. I'm getting to much flex in the wire for my liking. It worked fine today, but I can see it breaking over time with the flex. Tommorow I'm going to change the wire out to a heavier gauge and run it though the body like you did.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i saw another one cut like mine so i duplicated it. the hobby shop sells a 30" pushrod kit. it is a little thin so you have to use the rubber band on it but it looks good and tough, and really makes those pieces move well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No hobby shop within 2 hours here so I'm left to my own devices! I have heavy gauge wire here but I need 5 minute epoxy anyway so I'll see if they have some heavier gauge straight wire. The stuff I have here would probably work but it is on a spool so I'd have to straighten it. I've also got some small, light brass tubing I'm going to feed the wire through to help stabilize everything instead of letting the wire run free external of the carbon tube. That should eliminate all of the play I am seeing now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK guys, I'll upload my photos tomorrow - fully modified skyfly (complete and working - many flights).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 99Tarbox

No hobby shop within 2 hours here so I'm left to my own devices! I have heavy gauge wire here but I need 5 minute epoxy anyway so I'll see if they have some heavier gauge straight wire. The stuff I have here would probably work but it is on a spool so I'd have to straighten it. I've also got some small, light brass tubing I'm going to feed the wire through to help stabilize everything instead of letting the wire run free external of the carbon tube. That should eliminate all of the play I am seeing now.

I'd ixnay the brass tubing if I were you and see about some plastic instead. Not only is brass heavier than you think it is, but metal moving against metal = wicked radio interference and should be avoided at all costs on any RC model. On a 2.4 gig radio system you could probably get away with it, might even get away with it on this one, but then again you might not. Just a tip.
    Does anybody BUILD airplanes anymore?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys, as promised, here is my modified skyfly. This still shows my orignal wing I learn't to fly - still haven't broken it yet.
    Original motor is removed, but empty motor can re-installed - used to secure brushless motor plate to. I use nyloc nuts so they don't shake lose.
    In standard configuration (1st photo) it flies with 2200mah lipo battery (11.1v) - goes good and can soar/fly for 30+ minutes.
    I use RimFire 1300kV with a Silver Series 25A ESC and 8" x 5" prop.
    A friend of mine is now using a RimFire 1600kV, with Silver Series 25A and a 7" x 5" - Goes better than mine.
    In camera shooting mode, I use a 1500mah lipo which is lighter, and camera which work out the same as 2200mah (CG remains the same)
    Flights with camera onboard can still go for 10+ minutes (I tend to land before battery is flat).
    Also shown, is my next prototype - twin ducted fan (next yet ready to fly, but should be soon).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61756.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	876099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71039.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	876100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm23060.jpg 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	876101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dw65893.jpg 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	876102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd44434.jpg 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	876103  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hy34939.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	876104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vx44837.jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	876105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd12646.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	876106  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgot to mention, the 3rd photo shows a 3rd servo installed - It connects to 2 bomb releases. It must be noted, that I don't use any of the original electronics - all have been removed and instead use I use DX6 controller and hi-tec servos. The conversion cost more than buying a better model, but I enjoy making something better and then having something unique.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup. Agreed. I opted for 1/4" plastic tubing. I used 22 gauge wire through plastic tubing connected to the closest hole in to the surface. I test flew it tonight. The added control surfaces are absolutely NOT needed! I removed them after it I figured out they just made the thing fly very flaky. With the normal control surfaces and the added positive control from the wire the thing execute very snappy maneuvers and I was able to perform two loops in succession very easily and recover into level flight and the bottom of the last loop.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds great Tarbox -- do you attribute the better control to switching to wire alone, or did you do anything else? Surely the only real difference between wire and the stock mono/elastic arrangement is the lack of stretch in the wire. Is there that much stretch in the stock Skyfly controls...?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Two things, moving the control wire to the most inside hole and the change from rubber band/monofilament to direct linkage. It's not just stretch in the monofilament that contributes to the lack of control. I'm guessing here, (my aviation experience has to count for something ) but when the aircraft is in a strong slipsteam, for instance in a dive, the monofilament not only has to overcome resistance from the rubber band, but the increased airflow over the surface. With the direct linkage using wire, the only resistance is the slipstream and that is easily overcome. The thing is much more responsive to inputs and the input is noticeable instantly unlike before when there was a slight delay in normal flight and a longer one in a dive. Once the wind calms down I'll have the wife video some of the action.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are some pretty amazing upgrades! I won't put much money into mine. Once I get proficient with this one I'll move on to an aircraft with all the control surfaces. I'm looking at a 3DH Yak 54 ARF 47" (http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1857) but we'll see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey all, i had a chance to fly mine yesterday but it was in about 7mph winds. a little too windy for me but not the plane. without the added pieces on the tail(just stock tail pieces) this thing was so responsive, it will certainly let you know that you are over controlling it. I took off from rolling and hit the upstick and it went straigt up and stalled after climbing about 20 feet. got it straightened out and it came down on the nose. after taking off again and climbing slowly the wind got in it and took it for a ride. I panicked but managed to keep it up for a bit. with the pushrod on the lower controls, this thing is really sensitive to any stick movement. i am sure it will teach me to not over correct actions on the stick. will get back out there when these winds stop blowing a bit her in florida

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The stretch in the stock control lines does indeed effect control throw, but for the Sky Fly's intended purpose they actually work quite well. As was mentioned, when the aircraft's speed increases so does the load on the control surfaces. Control movements also tend to become more sensitive at higher speeds. When one adds in the effect of the stretchy control lines, I think this tends to tame the aircraft's response at higher speeds which could be useful for beginners. A slick trick to eliminate the flex that might be easier to execute for some than completely replacing the control linkages is to simply replace the stock control lines with something less stretchy. I like Spiderwire fishing line myself as it's quite resistant to abrasion, ridiculously strong, and has almost zero stretch. This of course doesn't eliminate the dreaded rubber bands however, but I'm planning on totally remodeling my Sky Fly before this flying season and one of the planned mods is a pull pull linkage system with Spiderwire control lines for more positive control and no more rubber bands to rot and break. Will be a bit more difficult than just replacing them with linkages, but also a bit lighter.

Lambodave, I LOVE the twin EDF Sky Fly! Now that's what I call innovation! I recently spied a Parkzone Super Cub in a magazine that someone performed a similar mod on. Two ducted fan units from a GWS A10 Warthog fitted under the wing, filled in the cowl, added a set of GWS floats, applied a pretty wild paint scheme and voila, a ducted fan floatplane that they dubbed the "FrankenCub" LOL.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Having control in both directions is what I was after. With the monofilament/rubber band control, even with good no stretch Spiderwire, the execution controlled by the rubber bands will still have less response since the rubber bands have to fight the slipstream. I do agree though, for the intended purpose, the control surfaces are perfect. All I needed was a bit of experience with the radio/aircraft interface and I was ready to move up a bit. This thing is still very docile though. Tonight I performed a half outside loop with a roll (yup, a roll!) at the bottom to level flight. I also did three inside rolls in sequence. The last roll was off the original line of flight but it did it! I couldn't get the wife out to video the flight though. Hopefully this weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tarbox -- sounds like yours is working well. I replaced the mono with something similar to spiderwire as well, looking for a bit less stretch and more longevity. I also rethreaded to the inner-most holes on the control horns. But how did you manage a roll without aelerons?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took the pushrods out of a aerobird 3 and put them in my skyfly and they work great very simple.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: huttcraft
    But how did you manage a roll without aelerons?
    At the bottom of the inverted loop the aircraft is upside down. I'm thinking that the rudder and elevator input acted like a aileron in this case. The speed at the bottom of the loop is pretty fast. I was rather suprised when it happened. I was wondering how I was going to get it flying upright since I didn't have enough airspace to complete an S. Hopefully the weather will hold and I'll get one on video.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If there's enough speed/power/control throw a roll can easily be executed with rudder only although it'll be more of a barrel roll than an axial roll. If there's enough control authority however, the barrel effect is barely visible. I've got a friend that flies a big 3 channel .90 size Sig Kadet that he converted to electric. To watch that plane fly you'd never know that it doesn't have ailerons. He's just got the throws cranked way up, and it's ridiculously overpowered . . . if there is such a thing.

I've done half rolls like you describe with my stock Sky Fly only I've done them at the top of a loop with a fresh battery. They eat up a lot of altitude, but are possible. I once held my Sky Fly inverted at the top of a loop and after diving a bit to get back some airspeed, actually managed to fly it inverted for about half a circuit around the field. Things got interesting toward the end though, considering that even with full down elevator the plane would barely hold altitude and refused to climb at all, and during any sort of turn it was dropping at a pretty good rate. I was so impressed that I actually got the thing to fly inverted that I didn't start thinking about rolling back over until I was dangerously close to the ground, LOL. I executed a half roll back to right side up, but it wasn't pretty. The landing gear bounced pretty hard on the grass just as it finished rolling over, but no damage at all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today was my second flight with the sky fly. Here is what happened yesterday with my first flight.

I really impressed myself as well as my brother at how well I was able to smoothly manover the plane in turns, and short dives for the ground then pulling up (I think the correct lingo is touch and go's) but all was going great untill I underestemated it's turning capabilities and got it caught in a powerline. Split the wing half way though and desided it just wanted to hang around. For a few minutes I was able to give the throttle a few boosts to hopfully "wiggle" the plane around to finish breaking off the wing but just my luck...the battery went dead. Solution....throw sticks at it. After about the 10-15th throw, finally hit it hard enough to finish breaking the wing loose....Ha, my eyes lit up....then wouldnt ya know it, the front landing gear got caught on the lower power line....Yeah, needless to say we threw more sticks and finally knocked her down. No damage exept for wing and my pride. Luckily, I bought a new wing at time of purchase so I took it home for repairs.

Ok, so today it first looked as if I wasnt going to be able to fly due to weather, wind gust up to 30+ mph, and rain. But later this afternoon it cleared up, sun popped out and wind died down to anywhere between 8-12 mph. Well feeling confident, I took it out to a larger feild and hand launched it into some slight wind, no problem, gained alt. to tree line and done a few circles around, then I felt the wind start to pick up so I turned the plane around and headed right for it. As I went to turn, the wind took over and drove it right into the ground, despite my attempt to "pull up". No damage exept for a little chigger on the wing, no problem, repaired with shipping tape.

Mainly, wanted to just touch on my first two flying experiences and despite both turnouts, I'm very happy with the sky fly. I'm confident that on a calm day and with no power lines getting in my way, I'll be able to keep in in the air and saftly land as I have once already.

Now it's human nature to blame something else for things that go wrong, but I'm almost positive that I would have been able to prevent both accidents if I had more "throw" in my elevators. And as you all have mentioned before, you can accomplish this by changing the regular fishing line with spider wire or fire line, and moving it to the closest hole in the horns but my concern is how do you secure the other end of the line to the servos. It would be hard for me to trust in a simple knot. What are your suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using direct wire linkage so I don't have to worry about that however if you are using fishing line I would suggest using the little lead sinkers that you can crimp closed on the line. I'd think that would be the easiest route.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lead sinkers? Are you mad?

Lead = heavy, heavy = bad, LOL. Great for fishing, but not exactly the best for aircraft.

A better option would be to use the little metal ferrules that come with a regular pull pull linkage set, simply thread the line through, then back through again, then crimp with a pair of pliers and secure with a drop of thin CA similar to how the lines are secured at the servo end in the stock configuration. A small metal or plastic ring would work too, simply tie the end of the line to it, feed it through the hole in the servo horn, then use the stock adjusters at the back to take up the slack. Or you could always just tie a car battery to the end guaranteeing that the plane would never leave the ground, that way the control throws or lack thereof wouldn't be so much of an issue.

OK, I'll quit being mean now, I promise. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast