Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flyzone Sky Fly

Hi Sureshot --

I tied and CA'd small home-made metal rings to the ends of my spiderwire control lines to keep them from pulling through the servo disk holes. I made the rings from excess wire cut from the ends of capacitors I was installing in an old radio, but really anything would do. The spiderwire was also slightly thicker in diameter than the stock monofilament, so I had to drill out the holes in the tuning screws (on the control surface horns) slightly to make it go through.

Is the Skyfly your first RC plane? If so you're in the same boat as I was, and you might get something out of the following thread (which amounts to a primer on flying with lots of good tips from Ed Anderson): http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Good luck with the Skyfly!

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The tiny ones wouldn't add to much weight, but I get your point. My problem in this area is because of the lack of a proper hobby shop within an hour drive I have to improvise, adapt and overcome!
    I don\'t need no sinkin\' sig...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got the FlyZone SkyFly about a week ago and flew it 3 times, all failed attempts... It flew fine while in the air but I noticed that the control surface is too small, might have to try the surface extension idea expressed on here. Can't seem to fix this most recent problem. Went into a death spin and crashed at least 20+ mph into the ground, now the vertical stabilizer rudder servo is constantly on and the rudder wont move.. tried trimming it on the remote, re-aligning servo wheel, and replacing control wires with Spider-Wire, NOTHING!

If anyone knows or has an idea, I'm open for suggestions! Just let me know.
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the other servo and motor work properly with the transmitter I'd suspect the rudder servo. Just curious, do you have any experiance flying, either RC or real aircraft?
    I don\'t need no sinkin\' sig...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

real aircraft - yes

r/c - few first fliights

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm also wondering if I should adjust the rubber bands to the innermost notch when I make the switch from fishing line to spider wire. This is in fact my first RC plane with only a few flights under my belt but it's safe to say that I'm hooked. I'm now in the process of saving for a NexStar Select for when I feel confident enough in myself to take it out...even with the OC cord (OC = Oh, CRAP!) attached to a seasoned pilots transmitter, I'll still be white knuckled...thats still a long way to go though. In the mean-time, I'll stick to the SKYFLY and other RTF's to learn the basics on, while trying my hand at a few mod's here and there.

And while I'm thinking of it, does anyone know what the sky fly's distance/range is rated at? I know a few of you have mentioned having it 300+ ft alt. I just don't have that much trust in mine yet and when I start feeling like it's too far from me.....I start to panic and down I take it. I get my exercise in though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've yet to fly mine out of range, and I'm an experienced RC pilot. I've flown mine, with camera on board, out and up to my visual limits and found the radio link to be surprisingly stable for a 27 meg system especially. Just keep in mind that 27 meg is susceptible to all sorts of interference from common devices such as toy RC cars and CB radios, as well as other park flyers since there's only 6 channels available.

If you get tired of walking, and repairing, you could always execute the one option that most of us discover to be quite convenient at one time or another - turn the plane around and fly it back to yourself, then crash, LOL. Have you considered getting into free flight?

You'll love the NexStar, and kudos to you for opting for a buddy cord. A person can get away with quite a bit with these double tough all in one jobs, but a built up balsa plane won't take nearly the beating that a Sky Fly will, and you're also talking about a plane in the area of 5 lbs. that could do a lot more harm/damage should it happen to hit something/someone. Also, teaching yourself to fly is quite an accomplishment, but as I've seen over and over again from self taught pilots they all too often teach themselves wrong. That's all fine and dandy if you only fly by yourself, but when these folks come to a sanctioned event or club field expecting to be able to zoom around halfway out of control flying behind the flight line and bouncing off of peoples' cars and pit tables they tend to find out really quick the benefits of being taught by an experienced pilot, even if it's for no other reason than to learn the proper rules of safety and etiquette. Once you really start to get the hang of this though, you'll be amazed at how much "better" the NexStar flies. By better I mean you'll have so many more options at your disposal as far as maneuvers you can perform and weather conditions in which you can fly. Not to detract from the Sky Fly however, I learned with a built up balsa trainer oh so many years ago and man do I wish there'd been things like the Sky Fly on the market back then. Would've relieved a lot of my first flight jitters for sure. Considering everything's in the box for less than a C-note and the thing not only flies but actually flies quite well, the Sky Fly is pretty tough to beat in the value department.
    Does anybody BUILD airplanes anymore?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been flying the Sky Fly every chance I can get. It was only today that I switched the control lines to the nearest hole on the horn. I was nervous about doing it at first because I wasnt sure exactly how it would handle, I was afraid that I would over compensate and end up digging for peices. But to my amazement it was much more sensitive thus actually making it easier to control. If that makes any since. I can even do a "knives edge" for a few seconds with this tiny mod. Along with 2-3 flips in a row, and actually a pretty good "hemmerhead" considering it's only 3 channel.

Now here before long I will be trading the mono. fising line with spider wire or the like. I suspect that will give a little quicker responce due to it not streching under a load like I imagine the regular fishing line would. I'll also be adding a length of CF to the wing. I figured if I happen to run across some flat stock, I'll do that.

Oh, I ordered a Flycamone2 last night from [link]http://hobby-lobby.com[/link] can't wait to try it out on the sky fly. Has anyone else done this? Any tips you can give on this subject?

I've got my piggy bank on a pretty good start on saving for the NexStar. I really do look forward to getting it. I'm hoping I can keep myself from flying/crashing it till I find someone to hook the buddy cord up to. Learing the aerilons I'm sure, will be a trip.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sureshot --

I tried an eDVR 5-in-1 on my Skyfly this weekend. It's somewhat similar to the Flycamone 2 for video quality (640x480, 30fps), has the advantage of being smaller, but the disadvantages of no SD expandability and no swiveling lens. I bought the camera for on-board vids from my RC boats. When I got the Skyfly at Christmas of course I was raring to give it a try, although I had to learn to fly the thing first. This weekend was my third flight and first attempt at onboard video: SkyFly over Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. As you'll see, maybe I should have focused on the learning to fly first.

The crash was all my fault -- still getting the hang of perspective in 3 dimensions -- but I'm happy to report that both the Skyfly and camera were relatively unscathed. I just had to get all the snow out of the pod and let everything dry out...

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shortly after getting my Sky Fly, I strapped my Aiptek IS-DV on top and took it for a ride. There's a link to the video I shot in an earlier post if you'd like to check it out. The IS-DV weights about 5 ounces, compared to the FlyCam that, if I'm not mistaken, weighs about an ounce. I've since gotten a FlyCam, the original version not the new one, and although it doesn't shoot as good of video as my IS-DV, it's also a lot lighter. I've put the flycam on my E-Flite Extra 260 foamy and it handles it no problem, so there's no way you would probably even notice it on a Sky Fly. I've also put the Fly Cam on my T-Rex 450 helicopter, and my Mugi Evo, also my Hobby Lobby Miss Acro and none of these aircraft exhibited even a slight change in performance. Definitely, the FlyCamOne is the way to go if you want to shoot aerial video with a small plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently discovered the free FMS rc flight simulator and have had a lot of fun tweaking my skills between real flights. There was no Sky Fly model available for it though, so over the past week I've spent a ton of time hunting through forums and learning 3D modelling. Bottom line is that I managed to generate an FMS simulation model of the Flyzone Sky Fly.

If you're interested, you need to download and install FMS before adding the Sky Fly model. The FMS program is available free here: FMS homepage

The Sky Fly simulation can be downloaded from here: skyfly.zip

Please let me know if you run into problems you think I can help with. The model is generally pretty close to the real thing, although I think the sim has a bit more power and responsiveness.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i just bought one today and at first it started up ok seemed fine but when i hooked up the charged battery it only would controll the rudder and the elevator.I then hooked it up to another battery fully charged and encountered the same problem anybody got any ideas please reply

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi MJD -- First, I think there's a way to cycle, or reset, the remote per the instructions. Make sure you turn on the Tx before attaching the battery in the plane.

If that doesn't work, try hotwiring the motor. If you touch the battery wires directly to the terminals on the motor does it fire up? If not, it's a problem with the motor; if so it may be the e-board. The circuitboard may be replaced by Flyzone without many questions.

Let us know how you make out -- Good luck.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just bought a Sky Fly. Has anyone out there flown theirs on a 2-cell LiPo battery pack? (Yeah, I already know the plane doesn't have a LiPo low-voltage cutout).

One of the reasons I chose it over the ParkZone planes is that the battery compartment in the Sky Fly is better suited to holding a LiPo pack.
    I liek yer cents of hummer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly 3-cell lipo's in my skyfly, brushless motor + different esc. Flies great ...
    I am in the process of building-up twin brushless motors skyfly (motor one each wing).
    Runs 2 x esc and has counter-rotating 3-bladed props. Should be fun !!! (not ready just yet)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lambodave

I fly 3-cell lipo's in my skyfly, brushless motor + different esc. Flies great ...
    I am in the process of building-up twin brushless motors skyfly (motor one each wing).
    Runs 2 x esc and has counter-rotating 3-bladed props. Should be fun !!! (not ready just yet)
    At first I thought you were joking, but then I found your posting with the pics!

For now, I'm thinking of trying a 1200mah 2S lipo or a 2000mah. The bigger pack weighs about the same as the stock pack, so it shouldn't affect the COG much. The 1200 is lighter and so I'm wondering if I'll be able to balance the plane at all.

If anyone has tried a 2S lipo with the stock electronics, let me know. I'm new to planes (just running boats until now).
    I liek yer cents of hummer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As you've mentioned, you already know about the voltage cut so you're one step ahead there. I'd definitely use an aftermarket lipo protection device if I were you. There's several available, most of which will start a light blinking or something along those lines when battery voltage gets too low.

On a 2 cell lipo, I would think your plane should fly just fine so long as you choose a size that balances the plane correctly, and your flight times would no doubt be longer. I don't know if they'd be enough longer to make it worth the extra expense, but there's really only one way to find out. On the surface it would appear that you should get much longer flight times, but keep in mind that you can use a lot more of the available capacity from a nimh battery than you can from a lipo. A 2 cell lipo shouldn't be pulled any lower than 6 volts, a 6 cell nimh can be pulled much lower than that and still provide enough power to fly the aircraft. Where you'd notice a serious increase in flight times however, would be if you were to go to a brushless motor of course, but if you're going to do that then you'd be best to trash the factory electronics and start over. As far as damaging the electronics, I wouldn't worry about that at all as you'll be running the same voltage as the factory 6 cell nimh battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All - I am in the process of building-up another skyfly, but this time it's running twin-motors (one on each wing - No center motor). I've connected all the RC gear up and it's working fine - Not flown it yet, still making a few more mods like steerable tail wheel, etc. Anyway, my question is regarding the possibility of using 'channel-mixing' on the DX6 transmitter. It seems the RimFire Brushless motors / Great Planes SilverServices ESC don't like running from AUX on my reciever. Normally, you need to 'arm' the motors before they will start. With my twin set-up, I have each motor connected to it's own ESC, with one using Throttle channel (1) and the other using Aux channel(6). In the controller, Channel 1 is mixed with channel 6 at 100% - so both provide the same power. The problem is, the motor connected to Channel 6 is failing to arm it-self. The reason of mixing the channels, is to help with turning. In addition to 1-6 mixing, I also mix the rudder input to the throttles. This results in better turns, as the rudder input will increase the speed the appropraite motor. You'll find a twin-motor plane flying at speed like to fly striaght, and the rudder becomes less effective. By mixing/speeding up motors, helps with the turns. Do I simply need to buy cheaper/unsafe ESC that don't have the 'safe-start' utility ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmmm, been awhile since I've programmed a mix like that, and even longer since I did it on my DX6, but I'll give you a few things to try anyway. If none work, check back with me in a few weeks as I'm putting together an E-Flite P38 right now and was also intending on using differential throttle, mostly for ground handling purposes however so mine will be on a switch. That might not be a bad idea for yours as well, to put the mix on a switch. That way you can turn it off if things don't go as you thought they would. When it comes to thrust differential, a little goes a long way.

First of all, you need to get both "throttle" channels running the same. You said you mixed them at 100%, but if I'm not mistaken you'll need to mix them at 50%. Don't quote me on that, but it seems to me as though that's the case. Also, if I'm not mistaken, working from memory here so once again don't quote me, but I think you have to move the stick up and program the top side to +50%, then move the stick down and program the bottom side to -50%. Possibly it could be 100% in both directions, but either way the top and bottom have to be the same. Also, one channel may be reversed and not need to be, or vice versa. A slick way to tell if you've got it right is to plug a servo into both channels, then move the throttle stick up and down and make sure that they move the same amount, and in the same direction. That mix should be set to "on", because you don't want it on a switch but active all the time instead. I'm sure that's your problem, possibly not the right solution, but definitely the problem. One throttle isn't coming all the way to zero and that's why your ESC won't arm on the one side.

After you get all of that working, you should be able to mix your rudder inputs in, but as I mentioned I'd put that one on a switch if I were you. I think you'll have to mix your rudder to both throttles in order to get it to work properly, so when you're finished you should have a total of 3 programmed mixes. I'd start with a pretty small throttle differential percentage to begin with, then work up from there.

Hope it helps, but if it doesn't just let me know and I'll get you some better info. As I mentioned, I'm about to put myself through the same torture, LOL.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Raginredneck93 - Thanks for your advice, and very useful 'servo-testing' to perform with the throttle channels. I will perform this test.
    I did try setting throttle mixes to +50%/-50% while moving the throttle stick, but still no good. It seems the esc connected to AUX(ch-6) just doesn't arm - It just keeps 'beeping' loudly.
    I will set my mixes on a switch, as it sounds like a very good idea !!! I have installed a 3rd servo and steerable tail-wheel and spent a few hours at home, 'driving' the plane around the house !!!
    I am thinking if I should be using a different channel (maybe Aliaron) as I am not using it, and channel-6 is simply the FLAP switch which is controlled by a switch... (channel-5 is GEAR, also controlled by switch) - Maybe ch-6 & ch-5 simply can't be used for mixing - Am I right or wrong ?
    I took a look at you new plane - E-Flite P38 - Looks very nice...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK if no one else is going to raise it I will. Who's going to be the first to try floats on their Sky Fly now that summer's knocking?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds fishy lambodave, [sm=confused.gif] you should be able to mix any channel to any other channel, and you should be able to pick whether you want it on a switch, inhibited, or on at all times. I'd say that your aux or gear channel would be the best bet myself. As I mentioned, give me a little time and I'll get you an explanation. I use a DX7 myself and I'm sure that's how it works on my radio, but I'll toss a battery in my old DX6 this weekend and see if I can get a mix working, then I'll give you an explanation of what I find if you haven't figured it out by then.

I thought about floats on a Sky Fly back when I first got mine. Would probably work great with a cheap set of foamies like GWS or similar. Unfortunately however, I think a person would need a little more power for it to work. After a brushless conversion it'd work for sure, but it'd be pretty iffy on the stock power plant methinks. Never know though, give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: huttcraft

OK if no one else is going to raise it I will. Who's going to be the first to try floats on their Sky Fly now that summer's knocking?

Dave
    Hey Dave,

Haven't really been thinking floats, but definitely have plans for skis come winter. Not sure if they will be bought or engineered, but there's a large marsh nearby that will be a great place to fly off of when frozen.

The idea of floats just makes me nervous. The Skyfly is so light that I picture an endover as soon as the water catches the floats on landing. Have already soaked(and dried) the ESC/reciever from a muddy unconventional landing, hate to think what a real soaking would do to it. Then there's the whole question of plane retrieval.

I've got to say that you sent me for a loop last week! Due to business, I regularly travel to Halifax and have been scoping a place to fly. After checking Google satellite map for open areas, the best option that I came up with was Shannon Park. A day later I come across your video on YouTube "Skyfly Over Halifax". Anticipating a mystery solving exercise, trying to figure out where you were flying, the McKay bridge comes into view, then Tufts Cove Generating Station! Shannon Park! Thought that was pretty cool.

Any other flying spots you can suggest? A local suggested Lawrencetown, but haven't checked it out yet.

Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jack

PM sent re field locations in our area.

My Sky Fly has also had to be dried out once, but it was after the pod filled with snow in the crash you saw in my Youtube vid. I think the Sky Fly could handle floats, I'm just not sure I want to be the guy to try it...!

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi raginredneck93, I'll wait for your weekend DX6 findings... I have just ordered 3 more Hi-tec MG65 servos for my first 'proper' Aieral Photography plane (GWS Slow-stick with many modifications - including 'live-video' link with VR glasses).
    Once I get these servos, I'll be able to perform some 'throttle/servo mixing tests'. I won't have these until sometime next week, so I think your weekend findings we benefit me first. This weekend, I'll be installing all RC gear / ESC x 2 into my twin-motor skyfly, ensuring CG remains the same. Do you think I'll need to increase rudder 'surface-area' to fly the twin-engine skyfly ? I've heard that when flying twin-motor planes 'at speed', the rudder becomes less effective. I can resolve this problem if 'we' get the channel-mixing of the throttles sorted ... What would be the better mix ? - Increasing one motor rpm, while decreasing the rpm of the other OR simply increasing the rpm of just one motor, while leaving the other unchanged ?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast