Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Making the best of the best of the worst, new EDF pilot requires assistance!

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Making the best of the best of the worst, new EDF pilot requires assistance!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM
sam the edf noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the best of the best of the worst, new EDF pilot requires assistance!

I bought a banana hobby bz-22 backpack sized jet that goes 100 mph. its my first jet, i bought it because it looks really cool and the banana hobby video shoved the plane down my throat . I know it isnt a Begginners plane by any means and in retrospect i regret buying it as a plane that had less power and was easier to manouvre would have indefinitely been a better investment at this point through research. My real question for you guys was not for you guys to say how bad i messed up but to say what suggestions you had other then selling the plane (I cant due to costs). Tips for flying and training on it will be very helpful. I am trying to make the best of this situation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhEr17P8aY
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: Making the best of the best of the worst, new EDF pilot requires assistance!

Next to shelving it and getting a proper trainer my best suggestion is to get real life help in flying this plane.

This plane will fight you the entire time until you learn flight skills and orientation skills.

Chance of success Negative.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
sam the edf noob

Default RE: Making the best of the best of the worst, new EDF pilot requires assistance!

where i am currently, there are no other pilots :P, and the scene for RC here is not really alive per say. I was looking for tips on how to fly it without someone instructing me.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM
jdetray

Hi Sam -

Personally, I think your best - perhaps only - hope is to find someone to teach you to fly your plane. Otherwise, you should definitely start with a trainer. Even with help, learning to fly that jet as your first plane will be difficult.

There are lots of R/C flying clubs in the Toronto area. The Model Aeronautics Club of Canada has a list for Southeast Ontario:

http://www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs.php?zn=12

A flight simulator might be helpful for you as well, but in my opinion, a simulator is no substitute for actual flying.

Good luck!

- Jeff
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
sam the edf noob

Thanks Jeff for some useful information, i will certainly check them out, In canada string controlled planes are the main thing that are flown :P alot of those clubs in southeast ontario are a hours or so drive away and its difficult for me to get there, when i was speaking to the live support at banana hobby i was just told to wait for the perfect day, with a good mixture of wind and temperature, takeoff at 80-100 percent throttle and correct at 50-80 percent while up in the air. Also, i am going to buid this thing as well as i possibly can and have my friend come out and help me do hand launches and some bench testing. i think i may have a hard time the first couple of flights with flight orientation and handling, however i have plenty of single and double engine fairly large helicopters i have that i fly very well and i hope some of this skill can transfer over to planes :P. Any other tips for flying?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
jdetray

Hi Sam -

If possible, find a field with high grass for your first flights. Choose a location that allows you to fly straight ahead for a good distance before you must make your first turn. Use this straight ahead opportunity to trim the plane so that it flies straight when the control sticks are centered.

Wait for a day with zero wind. I will repeat, ZERO WIND.

Remove the landing gear and hand launch the plane. Set up the plane with minimal control throws. That is, when you move the sticks, you want the control surfaces on the plane to move a small amount. This reduces the tendency to over control, a big problem for new pilots.

Keep in mind that almost any plane can be repaired. It is not the end of the world if you crash and break something. Every R/C pilot I know has done that.

- Jeff