Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone P-51D Brushless Options?? HELP! lol

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone P-51D Brushless Options?? HELP! lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 AM
diggydaz2006ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P-51D Brushless Options?? HELP! lol

Hiya fellow electric gearheads....

Just to let yah know i have moved on from the parkflyers Cessna 182 scale to a warbird. That warbird is the infamous parkzone p-51D. I have flown it and i love it, if you know what you are doing this plane RAWKS!!! If you dont know what you are doing? lol..... ummmmmm good luck? lol.... The servo's and RX are WAY better quality than the ParkFlyers Cessna 72mhz. In fact, the difference is clear in both the sound... reaction times and lack of the dreaded radio freak outs. I fly this plane in a very small area lined with tree's and several close(ish) power and telephone lines and havent had one problem with flight, tight turns, decent altitude n speed. My ParkFLyers cessna on the other hand? bombed over and over there.... terrible RX in that thing. A serious issue for me currently with the radio is, the annoying parkzone only plug system on the servo's. I have a great Spektrum DX6 that i was looking to put in this badboy. But new esc needed and servo replacements..... ehhhhhhhh not into hack n chop yet... so i left it.

Anyhow to lead into my question.... My main complaint up till now with this plane is it seems to have Juuuuuuuuuuuuust enough power to do the job and have fun... but i, like most im sure... want mo0o0o0o0o0ore. I am in the process of ordering 4 lipos for this and from my past lipo (7.4) experience its a large difference. Could this alone give me the extra hit im looking for??

Is there a brushless with gearbox combination that any of you guys (n girls) recommend? (stock 480 with 3:1) If you have done one yourself pls let me know what you used. This plane is great but i know it can be better with a little more power. I would also like to be able to run the same 10x8 prop... only a 4 blade (much more authentic).

Hit me back with your input... loving this hobby... n learnin every damn day...

Cheers

Diggy
Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Parkzone P-51D Brushless Options?? HELP! lol

Diggy,
I run a Mega 16/15/6 in mine. Through the gear box, spinning a Hobby Lobby #FS400, 9x7 four blade. But I run on 4s1320 TP packs on mine. Gives realistic speed and power. And mine runs with retracts and steerable tail wheel. Jumping to a 10x8 would only jump the speed up a little from my set up, but would increase the thrust by nearly 8.5 oz.
I kinda went all out on mine, with seperate servos for the ailerons, so I can dial them in like flaps, to help with tip stall on landing. separate servos for elevator, and steering. Repaint to look like a Tuskeegee Air Corps version. It's a sweet flying bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80613.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	425274  
Old 03-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Dora Nine

You can also look at AON Electric...they make a motor that is a direct fit. I think they are running a combo with CC ESC for like 130 bucks. Also, E-Flite is coming out with a 28mm inrunner in April...that should work also...check it out on Horizon Hobby.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:55 AM
diggydaz2006ca

Hiya

Good to hear back from somebody thats for sure. Glacier... that Mustang in hot hot hot! lol Wo0o0o0o0o. Intresting setup with retracts... WHat type are those? you must have had to hack n slash to get them to work huh?... Really nice job.

I am hoping for this brushless thing to work out... i flew again the past few days, loving that plane.

Do you hand bomb the plane on take off?... or ground roll.... cuz i know some retracts arent... they are more like drop wheels. Yours go up n down? if so? DO TELL lol

Anyway thanks for your advice... look forward to getting some more from yah if n when i can...

Cheers,

Diggz
Old 03-15-2006, 04:51 AM
diggydaz2006ca

Hiya again Glacier!

Read over your comments and did some research... i have found the motor you are talking about. You made it sound easy or like second nature to you... me when i saw the "Turns" and various combo's i started getting novice nail biting action lol.

From what i saw the 16/15/4 with the 3:1 (i assume you mean leave our stock ones in) gives me 27oz thrust with an 11x7. Do you know what the result would be with a 10x8 (2 blade stocker)? If i knew the formula i could answer myself i suppose. If i went up to a 4 blade i assume i get more thrust and also more draw on my battery. ( not sure if i want to cut my battery time down too much)

Battery Ordered: 3 Cell 11.1v 1800mah 12c Lipo - 4 Units

With your 16/15/6 with your 9x7 prop... how much more in % of thrust over stock do you feel you get?? One thing i dont want to do is go beyond 1:1 power to weight as i dont think that is realistic and by the sounds of it... you and I like Authentic.

Any more help you can offer is great... and oneday maybe i can help you out lol (doubt it.... Ms landing gear n servo's this n that :P lol AWESOME)

Cheers Diggy
Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Glacier Girl

Diggy,
You'll find out soon enough I tend to do things differently. I know a little bit about motors, so I tend to use low Kv (rpm)rated motors at high voltages. This gives me similar power at less amp draw, or I can spin bigger props at the same amp draw, which will give me more thrust and speed. Your 16/15/4 will work well, but will draw about double the amps from a pack that my set up does. So I use a smaller capacity pack of 4 cells, where on yours you will use a larger capacity pack of 3 cells. Weight wise both packs are probably equal. But mine puts less strain on the system, as I am pulling less amps. Either set up will give a lot more power and speed then the stock system. The 16/15/4 would involve less to install.
Take a look here www.motocalc.com It's a calc program you can use to see what changes in systems will occur. You can play around with different motors, batteries, packs and such and get a general idea of how they will affect your bird. It's got a "FREE" 30 day trial to play with it.
I would suggest buying it, if you plan on staying with electrics, I use it all the time. It will help you understand how kv ratings/ windings affect your system.

As for the retracts, the one in the picture has mechanical retracts, yes they do retract. And yes it does take off and land on them. I've since done an air retract system conversion, much easier but a lot more expensive. I did a complete build of the air retacts over on Watt Flyer, If you like I can look it up and post a link to it for you so you can see what is involved.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Glacier Girl

Air retract set up.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...hp?t=53&page=3

And info on the mechanical retracts. Starts on post #486.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...20/key_/tm.htm
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 PM
diggydaz2006ca

Hiya Me Again!!

I have downloaded the motorcalc that you hooked me up with and it seems like i am getting errors and saying my combinations will not work. If you could answer the following that would be great for me... and let it be known if i can do something to help you sometime please let me know.

I currently have 2 - 3S 15c 1500mah li-po's (which i noticed made a huge difference in power on the stock motor alone)

Currently i get about 10-13 mins flight time varying from mellow to aggressive.

I am looking to follow your road with brushless can motor on the stock gear box but instead i will opt to use the stock 10x8 2 blade (minimal modifications, im not ready for your world yet... aw HELL naw).

Which Motor is the right choice for me? I have been thinking 4 turn Mega. But will that end up giving me ridiculously low flight times?

1) Which motor will run best and draw less on the stock prop. (obviously i want more power than stock)

2) Which motor will give me the highest run times with my current batteries.

3) if you recommend? should i maybe go with a smaller prop... if so? which do you suggest? Im interested in pulling power not overall speed. stock high speed is plenty for me.

4) My battery packs seem like great quality... and they last quite well with the brushed... long enough until i want to lan for a break anyway. I dont want to replace this motor bad enough to end up with 5 mins flight times. Or i will just stick with stock.

My ultimate goal is more power than the brushed but not so much more so it looks and acts fake (3d stuff... on a mustang? UGH) with the longest duration of flight time possible out of my current packs.

I do thankyou for all your help... you have been great... i hope you get this.. not sure if you will be i will watch like a hawk.

Cheers

Digz!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:56 AM
dsilver668

GG you are sooo understated.. LOL
You saw the line on what you think you could do on the PZ P-51 then prceeded to blow by that like it wasn't even there.
Your plane does look mighty sweet though.
I only plan on foaming the nose for strength, going lipo, and possibly a better brushed at first, then switch to brushless later when I change out the radio system..
Baby steps...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Glacier Girl

Digz, for the simplest route I would say the 16/15/4 Mega.
On MotoCalc it works out like this. 14.7 amps, 23 oz thrust, and around 55 mph.
Would work well with your packs you have now.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
dsilver668

Anyone know what the dry weight is on the P-51, and the surface area of the wing. I just down loaded motocalc and am playing with it. I would like to upgrade the motor, but have no idea which direction I want to go. I might just go with a descent brushed motor for a direct fit if it were to get me better thrust.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Glacier Girl

ORIGINAL: dsilver668

Anyone know what the dry weight is on the P-51, and the surface area of the wing. I just down loaded motocalc and am playing with it. I would like to upgrade the motor, but have no idea which direction I want to go. I might just go with a descent brushed motor for a direct fit if it were to get me better thrust.
If memory serves me, WS is 39.5" WA is around 155 sq in, and maybe around 25 oz weight wise.

You know you can always retime the stock motor to get a little more out of it.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dsilver668

The brushless motor that is in the PZ 3D typhoon is a direct fit replacement in the P-51 gearbox. I put that motor in mine.