Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Am I ready for a warbird???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Zandona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I ready for a warbird???

Oh man here we go...
I've been flying sailplanes for almost three years now. I've flow 2M, HLG, flying wings and started flying helicopters about 6 months ago. my first airplanes was a sports flyer tatler (about 42in wingspan RE dihedral).
So in one way I feel like I have enough airtime to try out a low wing warbird like the GWS Spitfire but in another way I have not flown a low wing full house parkflyer yet!
I'm looking for any input from those of you experienced in warbirds. If you look back at when you flew your warbird for the first time, how difficult was that?
Do you recommend dual rates or exponentials in order to make the plane less responsive and maybe more forgiving at first?
Thank you.
Andre
Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 AM
yoster

Default RE: Am I ready for a warbird???

In my opinion, you'll have no problems at all. I take a different approach to teaching how to fly however. For you, it'l be just like any other new plane.. at first you'll be a little squirrly on the controls getting your grounds.. and after about 15 seconds you'll straighten out, and fly the rest of the time with no problem. I also recommend MORE maneuverability than less (this is where my preference differs). I've noticed that when I am teaching people how to fly.. they figure it out a lot faster when I let them fly my 3d plane (after I get it up there) then on a "trainer" plane. Provided you have ample power at the prop, the extra control surgace/throw can save you. Personally, I don't think you're going to have a bit of a problem. These planes, expecially if you are starting with a brushed motor, require minimal experience to enjoy.. even the ones that ParkZone claims as "Advanced" (Typhoon 3d, F-27B stryker.. both of which i have).
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM
gunracer

yeah you should be ok...i wouldn't bother with dual rates...stick with the full range of aileron and elevator and/or rudder deflection...i always fly with some expo (20%) to minimize over controlling near neutral...i recommend the same until you get used to her speed and flying characteristics...
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Hagar69

Why don't you try a warbird in a simulator? Get the free FMS and download a Spitfire or Mustang + one of the planes you allready know well. Then you can compare.
With your experience you should be fine, just make sure to maiden your warbird on a calm day in an area with plenty of space.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Zandona

Great information here guys. Thanks a lot for the quick replies.

Yoster. I'll keep in mind what you said, extra control surface/throw can save me. I've read warbirds tend to come fast and hot for a landing (similar to some flying wings I'd assume) and because of that I thought expos or dual rates would be helpful.

Gunracer. Over controlling near neutral is definitely one of my concerns.

Hagar69. I have flown some of the warbirds on Real flight G3 and performed fairly well, the only thing is the model they have are simulations of larger models than the ones I plan on flying (I'm thinking about a GWS Spitfire, 32in wingspan and electric) but I'll check FMS and their models.

Thank you so much for the help, I'll check again, now I'm off to the hobby shop
Happy Landings.
Andre
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tower has some GWS warbirds on sale now. I don't expect them to be there at these prices for long:

Corsair:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR5100&P=DS

Mustang:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR5094&P=DS

Zero:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR5111&P=DS

They also have some other things in their daily sale that would help you outfit your plane cheaply.

Hard to beat these prices.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:32 AM
foreverNight

Yes you can fly a Warbird no prob! I say this because I've flown many electric parkflyers including a Warbird (GWS Zero)
I recently bought a venom Night ranger II heli and tried to fly it and it gave me a hard time! I didnt break it but, Its in my closet for now! BTW you'll find that Warbirds are very twitchy compared to other planes, they respond quick to controls. well, that's how my Zero was.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I've got a couple of warbirds in my stable, take a look at my gallery.
Hands down the easiest one of the bunch to fly is the E-Flite P47.
You can pick it up for around $80.00, and add your electronics, though it does come with a brushed motor. Even in stock form it flys quite well. Has the ability to add a working rudder, and it does come with landing gear.