Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Red Hawk(?) An Exact Clone Of Challenger For $69?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Red Hawk(?) An Exact Clone Of Challenger For $69?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Hawk(?) An Exact Clone Of Challenger For $69?

Was just up at the local hobby store today picking up various parts and noticed a new entry into the RTF market. Didn't have the time to investigate in much detail but I think this plane is called the "Red Hawk", or something similar. From my brief and initial skimming over the box it appears to be an exact clone of the Aerobird Challenger. What I do remember was looking in detail at the motor mount area and seeing the exact same "pinch" and vents on the outside of the body that holds the 400 motor in place, as well as numerous other exacting details of the Challenger. It comes with a 6 cell 900ma nimh (the Challenger originaly did but now comes with a 1000ma battery) and at initial glance the wings, tail, and various other details look identical. Again, I didn't have much time to stew over the details but I believe the price was around $69. As I made my exit I asked the clerk about the plane and he responded that it was an exacting Challenger clone. Other than that I know very little details but figured I'd post this message for a heads up to others who are considering a Challenger.

By the way, I did notice that the TX is different. It has servo reversing switches. The plane also comes with a car cigarette charger and a wall outlet charger. Wonder if the electronics are identicle as well but the servo reversing switch has me wonding....perhaps it comes with standard electronics?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 AM
fiver

Default RE: Red Hawk(?) An Exact Clone Of Challenger For $69?

I too noticed if looks very similar. Maybe hobbico has hobbyzone make the fuse and then put their own electronics in? I did read the manual and it has replaceable servos with an esc/reciever combo. Hopefully the servos are std 3 wire. You can hardly beat that price...esp if it flies as good as the challenger. That was going to be my first plane but it has been out of stock around here for a long time.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM
critterhunter

Was just up at the local hobby store and took more time to inspect the plane. Held it's replacement wing and tail up to Challenger ones and the wings are the same width but one is just slightly longer than the other. The tails are also the same width but the Red Hawk's is just a bit longer and has smaller flaps. They should work on either plane. In fact, I'd opt for the Red Hawk wing when replacing one on a Challenger because it's only $10 compared to the Challenger's at $15 and even comes with a carbon rod already in it.

The two planes are identical so far as I can tell. One unique feature of the Red Hawk is the throttle slider is on the back of the TX where a finger will more easily be able to control it while holding the TX. It also has servo reversing switches on the TX but I don't know if the plane features standard electronics and/or servos.

The Red Hawk comes with a 6 cell 900ma battery but the Challenger's now have 1000ma 6 cells with them. The Red Hawk also comes with a wall outlet charger in addition to the car cigarette charger the Challenger comes with. The Red Hawk also comes with a DVD like the Challenger. It's made by FunZone (Or is that Flyzone?). I don't know if the electronics are a match to the Challenger's as I said. If I was going to buy a new Challenger I'd probably opt for this plane instead for $69, but then again I know very little about it and haven't seen it out of the box to compare quality. If these two companies don't have some kind of deal together then I'm guessing over in China the trademarks don't apply and so they starting making cheaper knock offs.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 PM
flyingace451

If it flies just like the Challenger and can take a beating similar to the Challenger, I should get my dad to buy that for him. Poor challenger has had so many crashes I'm not sure how much longer she'll last.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Gionix

I dont have the challenger but i can say that the Red Hawk is a good plane for a beginner I've been learned with it .. I have want and ti flies well I maybe should recommend it but its good value for a beginner you can get a 2 extra wings, 2 extra v-tail and extra battery for 130 it looks good for a beginner no so much expensive in bad RTF or beginner planes.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 AM
EBasil

I chased down the review article on this, and see the postings about how well suited this bird may be for beginners. Man, do I ever wish I'd read this BEFORE we bought a HobbyZone Crashbird Freedom! This plane costs less and that high-wing design is apparently much better for the population both planes are aimed at.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I caused a sudden deceleration event with mine and the replacement parts, including a main wing I won't be using for a while cost $12. It has a 380 motor in it, if that means something to you. I see it as superfast. My problem is I want to learn at low speed and then speed up. The elevons want to perform at mid to high speed. Really mushy controls at low speed, hence the deceleration event.