Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Typhoon 3d quality issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
mdbuehler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon 3d quality issues?

If anything I'm just venting!

Bought a new Typhoon 3d about two weeks ago, and was a like a kid before Xmas waiting for it to arrive. Assembled it the day I got it home, plugged in the battery charger and popped a fuse... New fuse, and popped again... Third time she smoked out and I called it quits. Never got the battery on it to try and charge!

Park Zone is sendig a new one out.

Charged up on a friends charger, and went to the field. Motor kept cutting out intermittently every 10 sec or so while flying, so unflyable. After a bit of troubleshooting, found the bullets connecting the ESC to the motor weren't snapping tight, so snugged them up and flew the rest of the battery out, then was too dark so went home.

Today I put the other battery in on the shop bench, and while still switched off, it spins up for a second, starts beeping then smoke pours out of the nose! ***?! Took it apart and the ESC is toast.

I can't say how dissapointed I am in this plane! My Scout, Challenger and Cub have all been joys, and this one has been nothing but an expensive PITA! Now I have to call them tomorrow and see what else I ship back.

Grrrr... I should have just stuck with the Cub!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 AM
mdbuehler

Default RE: Typhoon 3d quality issues?

Well, Typhoon may have problems, but Hobby Zone came through again

New ESC is on the way, so hopefully I'm back in the air by the weekend! I'm 2 for 3 on known Typhoon problems, perhaps I should go buy a few spare servos
Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
maiden-crash

God almighty, I've never heard anyone having that many problems with the typhoon. I hope it flies well when yo get your new esc!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
mdbuehler

I'm looking forward to getting airborn again! The charger just arrived a little bit ago, so I can test that when I get home. All I need now is that ESC to arrive. The weather is PERFECT this week!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Crashcrazy

Mine has actually been my best plane - no issues at all. The only thing was when I changed all of my receivers over to JRs recently I had trouble arming the motor - but somone set me on the right track and all has been sensational.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:53 PM
mdbuehler

I've had two Scouts, an Aerobird Challenger, and my favorite J3 Cub. 60 flights or better between them and never an issue, thats why I've been so horribly dissapointed in the Typhoon so far! It has the potential to be the best one yet.

Can't say enough good things about HZ support though, my ESC is here and installed, and the plane revs up and checks out OK.

Will be flying this evening if the rain holds off!!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:05 PM
stockdaddy

I got the plug and play typhoon. No issues with it as of it. For a low wing it pretty easy to land and the landing gear is big and strong.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:50 PM
yoster

Only prob my typhoon has had is some random cutting out.. but thats due to the stock crappy plugs they use.. once I go Deans that won't be a problem. Other than that, it works fine. I've crashed it who knows how many times straight into the ground trying to do stupid things... like touch and goes where when I come down a weed hooks onto the landing gear and throws the plane into the ground! lol. I love it because it fixes so easily with some foam safe CA. I am going lipo on it next week... i've heard strories about lipo's frying the esc on it now and again... but I'm certain parkzone will take care of me if it does. So far so good tho, no complaints here! Oh, and other than a high-pitch sound, my charger for it works fine. It is also an extremely easy plane to fly imo. It is almost impossible to crash unless you are really being stupid (like I like to do). If you're just flying around doing simple manouvers it's nearly impossible to crash. I just try and race my friend with his stryker though trees and whatnot... so I kind of ask for it when I crash it.. but that's how you get better.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 AM
mdbuehler

Finally got to fly it, no problems, three battery packs. Had a blast!! Very fun plane, and as I don't do much 3d flying, the battery lasts quite a long time. Still getting used to airlerons, but really like how tight I can turn the plane and how well it responds to the controls.

I sent my USB camera up on the second battery back, attached to the wing. Was flying around the model rocket club as they were launching rockets, chasing a few other electrics and a few sail planes. Just got back and now find it was never cleared from last flight on the cub, so didn't record anything

Oh well! Soon as the rain goes away, I'm up again... Really like the fact it didn't even notice the extra weight. The Cub would struggle a bit to get going!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
yoster

what camera are you using (brand and model number.. or pic please!) I want to pick a smaller one up but am not sure what everyone else is using.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
mdbuehler

http://www.e-flightline.com/multipod.htm

Works pretty good, not super quality or anything, but very viewable!