Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Air Hogs Titan Jumbo Jet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
9thLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Hogs Titan Jumbo Jet?

In a burst of unrational thought I purchased this thing- I saw a couple of guys trying to fly one at the park (unsuccessfully) but was impressed with the wingspan (almost 4 ft) and the fact that it has 4 ducted fans onboard. I'm going to wire all 4 fans for thrust and install some servos for rudder, aeilrons and replace the electronics. This is my first attempt at shenanigans such as these- anyone have any experience with this plane? Done anything similar? let me know, I'm anxious to mod this thing. By the way, I get it tomorrow, just in time for the weekend!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Air Hogs Titan Jumbo Jet?

this plane has been known to suck at flying. stay away!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Cptn. Krunch

Ahhhh, that thing You may want to show us a picture or a link.
Cptn.K
Old 05-18-2006, 05:31 PM
9thLife

for $40, i'll give it a shot! check it out [link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002CK9T8/qid=1147991371/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5232036-0519020?v=glance&s=toys]here[/link]
Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Cooool! That is just screaming for an RC conversion. I bet it is very stable and if it is EPP it doesn't matter! Good find.
Cheers,
Cptn.K
Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
9thLife

I'm getting it today- I'll post some pics when I get it out of the box- there should be more than enough room to put whatever you want in there. I was thinking perhaps about pulling off the ducted fans and securing 4 480 motors on there with props- I think that configuration would pull me on a skateboard if I wanted to! Not sure what battery set up or ESC to use though...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Cptn. Krunch

480s? You are going to have a rocket. I have kit-bashed a couple of the flying toys and yeah, besides the radio, the first thing I do is to "drop in a Hemi". Here are a couple of examples:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91485.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	463775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12350.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	463776  
Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Leo L

I saw the Titan on display at Toys-R-Us around Chritmas, but they were out of stock and wouldn't sell the display. Sounds like a fun project. Cann't wait to hear how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
9thLife

I might have to get some LG on it too....I rocket indeed! I just hope it doesn't blow up like one! Your planes look great! What type of setup do you have in the b-29?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Cptn. Krunch

4 x 130 motors out of Audley race cars, 3 channel Hitec and a 10 amp SC. Rudder and Ailerons are coupled. Very gentle flyer but not too good in wind over 20kmph.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:33 PM
9thLife

ok- weekend flight report. This thing needs a lot of room to fly stock- it takes forever to get any altitude, but does look really cool flying inches from the ground. Additionally, this thing is fairly fast stock and virtually indestructable! I crashed into a tree going full speed and there is only a small ding on the wing- so I have ordered the parts to make this thing into the monster I want it to be- actually a quasi monster...I have a few extra parts for a stryker around, so I thought...heck, why not! The stryker is controlled essentially by 2 flaps on the wings- 2 servos and a PZ RX. The stryker is also Lipo expandable, so there's room for upgrades. in summary- I'm basically making an air ducted stryker! I don't see any fault to this plan, but then again, I'm not the brightest bulb- so if you have any ideas, please let me know!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw this Air Hoggs Titan at Costco Wholesale Club here in Orlando, Florida but, could not find the price slip advertisement.

There was one on display and the Transmitter is rather toyish and the throttle has a spring loaded keeper to keep the throttle to null (Off). I picked up the model and my goodness it was heavy.

1. Heavy EPP foam + Electronics, motors etc...
2. Wing airfoil is undercamber for maximum lift but, will not fly fast.
3. Has a carbon spar under the wing assembly for re-enforcement.
4. Has these tiny motors and empellers that seem toyish but, the shape of the empellers are for maximum thrust and not airspeed.

Nope, I just did not bother to ask how much....[:'(]

Came home and found the Air hoggs web site and they do not list this model as of yet.[&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33018.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	465344  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 AM
starguard

I bought this plane off of eBay once. This thing was a tota disaster for me. No matter what I tried, I NEVER got this thing to fly

Old 05-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Cptn. Krunch

So you are going to make it a taileron(v-tail?) set up? You might want to re-consider that configuration. Those are big wings and you probably need at least a rudder/elevator set up. Good luck.
Cptn.K
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 AM
9thLife

no tailerons, just ailerons like the stryker- I wired up one of the focke wulf batteries (9 cell Mh) to the stock set up on this plane to see the difference in thrust- I powered it up in my office and it blew papers off my desk across the room and started inching across the carpet, dragging the battery pack with it! (Remind you, there is no landing gear on and the pane is pretty large)

Star guard- sorry to hear that. I found the stock configuration would fly, it just needed a huge turning radius..more than practical. Also the stock controls are crap. You have to click the controls to the right or left and not hold them. I beleive it's 1 click for a short turn, 2 for a medium and 3 for a long one (they say to do this all in 1 second increments)

I just got my order confirmation from Horizon. All the necessary parts will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can log some flight time in the evening before LOST!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Cptn. Krunch

Stargaurd,
I tried it stock too. It flew ok but the control response was crapola. I did buy it just for the airframe and tossed the vector thrust radio in the trash after the first flight. Now, with 2 IPS and 4 blade screws it can climb at 60 degrees and take off or land in 10 feet. $20 at a flea market so no biggie. I wish I could find one of the Titans! Good going 9thlife!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
9thLife

update- ok, so the servos installed like a dream, a little soldering and I had the new parkzone guts installed! The ducted fans all ran fine and all seemed in order...I took it out this weekend and tried to get it in the air. No such luck....It seems that the added weight of the larger battery pack just isn't enough...The plane also seemed unresponsive to control. So last night, I re-evaluated the jumpers and tore the 4 ducted fans out of it. I think I fixed the jumper program and have wired 2 480's with extra stryker props I had around. What a crazy sound they make when they wind up! It sounds like a real plane! I am installing the motor mounts tonight and should be able to maiden this weekend..(crossing fingers) I'll post a pic of my mod soon
Old 06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
csimmer

now only $28.98 at amazon!!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
slave13

My wife bought me this plane on the weekend. Its great. My first plane mind you, but it flies awesome. Does anyone know where to get extra batteries or if quick chargers exist for this battery?

Dave