Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Drop Module Fun???

Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Live2die420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Module Fun???

Hi everyone. I have been flying helis for a long time now. I also love driving cars, and boats. I had a lazy bee a while ago. With my RC collection now at a Trex XL, Blade Cp, Blade Cx, 65+ MPH Team losi RC18, and two tamiya mini coopers i figured what the hay i want some planes!. So anyway i went on ebay. I had looked at the parkzone J-# piper cub in the hobby store so i got one of those off ebay. Then i went browsing for a 3d plane. I found a brand new typhoon 3d going of for about 100 less then ususall so i got that to. Then i started reading about the slow v because i liked the way it looked in the hobby store. I thought to myself i just bought two why do i need a third? But then i read about this cool little drop module. I was reading and i thought it would be cool to let me fly this thing and all the little kids in the neighbor hood have fun catching the parachute man. So I read and read. I read i need 2s lipo to get this thing up high and drop the module blah blah blah. So I added it all up. Total cost plus lipo was less then 200. I wanted to use a lipo i had but there all 3s not 2. So My question is has anyone used the drop module. Is it really fun? How do you activate it from the transmitter? Is there a little button you push or is it something redneck like if you give it full throttle and left rudder it drops? Being that it is a 3 channel transmitter i dont know how this works? SO anyone that can inform me please let me know. RC collection i now have 9 so i think it might be time for a sale lmfao. Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Todd
Old 05-21-2006, 05:43 PM
yoster

Default RE: Drop Module Fun???

First of all, the dop module works on a lot of other planes besides the slo-v. You can get the Firebird Freedom, the Aerobird Challenger, and the brand-new Super Cub ( http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7100 )

And no, you don't need a lipo with those other planes for it to work. Is it fun? Sure, at first. But I is FAR more entertaining to buy an F-27B stryker, or the P51 or Wulf 190 with a buddy and dogfight using the combat module.

As far as the button goes.. it doesn't run on its own channel. It kind of runs on an existing channel.. it changes the pulse to a "square" pulse (as someone put it) which the receiver recognizes. I have no idea how it really works, I just know it isn't on its own channel... there is a thread about it on here somewhere.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Live2die420

yea looked all over for the post on this but i couldnt find it if anyone has some additional info?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:37 PM
gunracer

the drop module works thru the x-port 'channel' via electromagnetism...an elastic strap with a magnet on the end holds everything in place but only when the plane and tx are powered up...when you press the x-port button, it cuts power to the plane...this also breaks the circuit to the magnet and causes it to detach...whatever was contained within the strap falls...i put one on my pz cub...it's fun dropping stuff on unsuspecting seagulls....
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Live2die420

o man the darn pz cub has an xport to ? Darnit!!!! thats the whole reason i bought the slo-v!!!! o well whatever! lol

Old 05-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Slo-V Flyer

You don't need lipos or anything expensive. All you need is a GWS EP 12x6 prop, the 7-cell "optional" battery pack (or hell, I use a 6 or 7-cell 1000 mah Firebird pack, it's heavier but it works/lasts much better IMO) , and if you want more power, replace the stock crapper 370 motor with your favorite 18th scale truck motor. I use a Team Orion Big Block Mini-t motor. With that setup, I can haul around a ~3 oz digi camera and still fly up as high as I want, even in a slight 2-3mph breeze.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Live2die420

well i have a rc18t mini stock motor could i use that? I dont know if that would work? I think the rc18t stock motor might be small then the mini lst but im not completly sure. If that doesnt work i have a motor from one of my blades? Would that work or is that the same motor? anyways thanks for the help!

Todd
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Yes they are almost all the same sized motors you mentioned (Blade, Mini-T, 18T, Slo-V) . BTW I said Mini-T not Mini-LST. I think the 18T motor is going to work just fine, but you still need a 10 tooth pinion. I used an Eflite 10t pinion, so check around your LHS for one that would fit your choice of motor, and make sure it's the same pitch as the stock gears in your Slo-V (I just eyeballed it). Go back a page and I think somewhere I posted the part # for the Eflite pinion.

BTW Dont forget you will have to reverse the wires when you hook up the motor, so your prop turns the right way.

After hopping up to a better motor, and the 12x6 prop, you WILL be able to handle 5mph winds easily! I flew in winds a tad higher than that often, sometimes with a dv-cam onboard, and it is not as bad as when the V was stock. I think it primarily comes down to 2 things, power, and user experience; that is, if you know how to fly into the wind, and compensate for any sudden plane movements due to gusts, etc.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Live2die420

wel i dont rele feel like getting the 12x67 prop but i do have also my balde cp motor with an 10 tooth pinion already on it, would this work? I am already going to be running lipo and with this and the motor i hope this thing will really zip! LMK ASAP thanks!

Todd