Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Odd Noise, Parkzone Stryker motor

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Odd Noise, Parkzone Stryker motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 AM
9thLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Noise, Parkzone Stryker motor

ok, so I have about 5 extra stryker motors lying around (buy stuff I don't need just in case...all the time!) and I figure, well, I did just buy this pointless air hogs titan for $40....why don't I swap out all the electronics, strip the ducted fans off and mount 2 or 4 parkzone 480s on this thing and see what it will do? My theory here is that if I reverse the wiring on the same motor and prop that comes with the striker, I should be able to pull this new plane through the air, rather than push it like the striker. So I run a test on my stryker (not full power) and all is fine and dandy! Imagine my joy..I am pleased with my ingenuity. So I rig up the new plane with only 2 of these motors (again still with the stock stryker props) and I turn it on to test. This time, I run the motors up to full speed and lo and behold, this incredible noise kicks up. It sounds like the motors are pushing the air past the foam on the wings so hard that it creates a unique whistling sound? I'm not completely sure, but has anyone else ran their stryker motor backwards on full throttle?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 AM
maiden-crash

Default RE: Odd Noise, Parkzone Stryker motor

Are you using the original stryker props? That may explain it...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
9thLife

yes- the original props, not the lipo props though
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
AJ1202

The problem is the prop is designed to move air one way, unlike most props that can be turned around a pusher prop will not work efficiently running backwards, the motor can turn either direction with no problems, you are moving the air the right direction but you are causing the motor to work overtime because the flow is not clean, the air is having to move across the prop at the wrong pitch so it is sort of like being out of ballance, you could try drilling the hole for the shaft the rest of the way though the prop then gring the point of the hub down and put the prop on backwards, this would make it move the air the way it was designed, but the hole is tapered so you would have to be carefull not to drill it through too big, or just get a couple prop adapters and use regular props
I have played around with this a little too, I hope the titan is a fairly tough plane or your going to tear the wings off with those motors
Good luck with it