Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Nebukatnizar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

alright well im getting the elite 1500, with small male tamiya ends..but with a brain 979 charger....do i need a converter cable to charge the battery or not?

so does anyone know wether or not the brain 979 has a small or large tamiya end on it..?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Spackles94

ORIGINAL: Nebukatnizar

alright well im getting the elite 1500, with small male tamiya ends..but with a brain 979 charger....do i need a converter cable to charge the battery or not?

so does anyone know wether or not the brain 979 has a small or large tamiya end on it..?

I can't find the 979. Are you talking about the 977, or the 989? If you are, take a look at Hobby Lobby. They're having a sale for 20 percent off everything in stock, so you should be able to get a $100 charger (if you're looking at the 977 or 989 indeed) for a nice $20-$30 off...

I can't tell whether any of them have the big or small Tamiya Connectors. But, if you're going to get new batteries and charger, this could be a good time to upgrade to the Deans connectors or anything that's a bit more reliable. And getting those upgraded connectors is no extra charge at cheapbatteriespacks anyway...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Nebukatnizar

im just not too keen on soldering........hmmm, so what should i do order the 977(what i meant..sorry for the confusion)and the battery with a small male tamiya(so i can plug it into the plane), and then see what kind of converter i need and then order that..?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM
L8again

Hey Spackles 94..couldn't agree more! In fact..anyone out there having issues with loss of power or radio signals,
should check their battery connections. Tamiyas are notorius. I found out by accident, while settig trim up inside. Had the battery hanging out on the floor, and was loosing power...wigled battery..a lo and behold.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Spackles94

Yeah, that sounds good. Or you could just order a small female Tamiya and put it on your charger, that really shouldn't be hard to do... I wonder if you'd even need to solder that in. Just take out the other big one and replace it with the other ones.

Do they make converters for that? I honestly don't know, but if they do, that'd be a nice solution, too...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:38 PM
L8again

Changed all connectors. Batteries, chargers, and receiver to deans
Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Spackles94

Great idea. I'll probably be doing that myself soon...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Spackles94

What kind of wheel setup do you folks use? I'm thinking about going to the 2 3/4-inch wheels, but another thing that irks me sometimes is how bent the wheel shaft can get. Is there a better option for it? I've seen some that are like a solid piece of aluminum or something like that... has anyone used those?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Sinai

ORIGINAL: Spackles94

What kind of wheel setup do you folks use? I'm thinking about going to the 2 3/4-inch wheels, but another thing that irks me sometimes is how bent the wheel shaft can get. Is there a better option for it? I've seen some that are like a solid piece of aluminum or something like that... has anyone used those?

Thanks!
Dubro Diamond Lite 2 3/4 "
Since these pics, I have a 1 inch tail wheel from a firebird commander landing gear.
I can deliver supplies to anyone in the Alaskan bush now. (No more nose-overs in the grass or gravel)
I hate that the metal bends too! If not the landing gear taking the punishment, I guess all that energy would rattle other parts of the plane instead, and that might not be very good either. DEAN's CONNECTORS RULE, by the way. Battery should always be FEMALE so you don't accidently short it on something before you plug it in. Here's the big gear (thanks to flyin moose, flybyvam, Mrmugen and the rest who helped me find these) pictures: What about the rest of you guys? I'm curious also about the landing gear bending too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19392.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	651508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70608.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	651509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72052.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	651510  
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Spackles94

ORIGINAL: Sinai

Thanks!
Dubro Diamond Lite 2 3/4 "
Since these pics, I have a 1 inch tail wheel from a firebird commander landing gear.
I can deliver supplies to anyone in the Alaskan bush now. (No more nose-overs in the grass or gravel)
I hate that the metal bends too! If not the landing gear taking the punishment, I guess all that energy would rattle other parts of the plane instead, and that might not be very good either. DEAN's CONNECTORS RULE, by the way. Battery should always be FEMALE so you don't accidently short it on something before you plug it in. Here's the big gear (thanks to flyin moose, flybyvam, Mrmugen and the rest who helped me find these) pictures: What about the rest of you guys? I'm curious also about the landing gear bending too.
Nice plane! Yeah, I'm those are the ones I was looking at, and I'll probably get the 1-inch wheel, too. How'd you attach it?

Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Sinai

Spackles,
I whittled the inside hub with a box cutter blade to make the new Dubros fit on the stock landing gear. Some don't care if the tires wobble but others have gone so far as to line the inside of the new tires with brass tubing. I always thought Moose's idea (post #2060) and supporting pics (post #2062) was great, but I didn't have a drill bit that big. Flybyvam's are cool too (post #2051). Well I just switched mine out after I whittled them abit (the grey plastic hub). In a bit I'll post some pics with the 1" tail wheel for everybody. Oh, the tail was whittled on BOTH sides to make it thin enough. Hobbyzone Firebird commander landing gear wheels.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
victoriacub

i just put a aluminum landing gear on. not sure from what plane it was but looks like the one from the parkzone cub. this gear is a bit lower than the stock one , even with the 2 3/4 wheels on it take way more runway to take of then before with the stock gear and 2 3/4 wheels. i guess i have to go with bigger tires now! otherwise i'm quite happy with this set up.
btw, the main reason for changing the settup was, that after every flight i had to "re-bent" the stock landing gear
sorry no pictures......

Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Chancefind

ORIGINAL: Chancefind

wow......
I never took a look at the firewall on my other Cub that had a bad crash and it's got a small crack in lower section. So thanks Spakles for the post that caused me to have a look even though its not a nice thing to find, haha. I might try the soldering iron technique that I used to seal the cracks I had on a cowl that worked so well that I wrote about in an earlier post but yeah...theres always glue too.
Chancefind,

Yeah, do take a look at it... if your plane is not acting funny, everything's probably fine, but it's still nice to know that you can at least fix it now better than later...

Hey, what's that soldering technique you're talking about? I have some cracks on my cowl (man, these cowls are awful!), and I'd like to learn how to fix it...

Thanks!
I took a small soldering iron and just as it was starting to get hot, I lightly dragged it over the crack from inside the cowl and it resealed it that way. I carefully pushed the crack in place first and then started working and could not even tell it had been cracked from the outside when I was done. If you try this just be really careful not to over heat the plastic and tap the cracked area lightly to check progress and how fast its melting plastic.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Spackles94

Cool, I'll have to try that -- thanks for the tip! My cowl is pretty busted right now, so I can try fixing it that way, or otherwise I'll just get a new one.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Nebukatnizar

so, i ordered my charger and battery...ill see if they connect, if not ill buy a converter...from cheap battery packs

i got a super brain 977 and a 7 cell 1500 elite pack
Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Spackles94

Cool! Let us know how you like them!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 PM
SassyDave

ORIGINAL: Nebukatnizar
i got a super brain 977 and a 7 cell 1500 elite pack
The difference between 7 and 8 cells is night and day. The 8-cell pack will fly just as long, but you will be able to fly much much faster. It's awesome! I highly recommend it. I got mine from cheapbatterypacks.com a couple weeks ago and it's great!

--Dave
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Sinai

Chance,
you posted a question to us about what we do to loop, and to land that works.
Remember that to land, USE THROTTLE DECREASE and NOT THE DOWN ELEVATOR (unless you want to come in HOT to avoid a tipstall). Elevator is used during landings as your "brakes" and slows you down further. TO land, I usually Cut the throttle (or fly till dead stick) and bring the plane around in a wide turn to bleed off altitude. Always land APPROACHING MYSELF and not away from myself if possible. Then I put the stick under the low wing as it's coming toward me to keep it level, and ease into the "brakes" as necessary.

Also, dead stick landings (throttle cuts off at end of flight) still afford you plenty of time with the Cub. I have the stock set up because I love the DROP MODULE, and usually have a long amount of flight at 1/2 throttle after dead-sticking to bring the plane to me. I just zero out the throttle while gliding a spent pack, and bring back to only 1/3 or 1/2 throttle to maintain enough airspeed to keep from stalling.

As for loops, I like multi-looping. I keep the last half of the loop long to dive into the next one, and so on. Start high. I hope this helps.

Spackles, here's a few pics of the new tail wheel. I took my wife flying with me and after we landed the cub up on the ridge we just enjoyed the rest of the afternoon together. She's a great plane, that SuperCub.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37499.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	651657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69481.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	651658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37009.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	651659  
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 PM
zestril5

I have a realflight g3.5. Can anyone tell me which plane that comes with the g3.5 is the closest to the HZ Supercub in performance?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Spackles94

Haha... gotta love that Photoshop! Nice job, that's pretty funny!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Chancefind

Sinai,
Thanks for your descriptions of your loops and landings. It's all like what I've been doing except that I have not been brave enough yet to totally drain a battery pack while in flight. I've flown dead stick lots of times but just never to where I have no choice but to land that way. Eventually, on a good calm day, I'll fly till the engin stops and see how I do with a no choice but to land right then.
LOL...My wife and I just had a good laugh over those pics you posted. Those are so funny and cool.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Spackles94

Hey, I got my plane to fly again -- I only had to add a couple of washers to the left of the motor mount, and I was back in business! Yay!

Man, this whole thrust-angle thing was scary...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
flyinmoose

You'll like that charger its what I ve got and I have all lipos. I combined it with the Apache SM505 balancer and they are a great combo. I loved my elite 1500 8 cells just sold those to Parky50. If you've got any ?'s I'll try to help you out.
Moose

The weather has been B-E-A-utiful and I ve been stuck inside doing the honey-do list.[&o] Oh well I ll get out there again.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Sinai

Hey, Moose!
Im glad you're still here!!! (nd im not being sarcastic!) You really are one of the ones that helped me the most in going back and reading this thread from the beginning. I love the tires you helped me find. They are PERFECT!!!! By the way I'm going to post a few more pics of my Cub (inspired by Mustang51's thread here at RCU called "best scale photo" where I'm trying to go for fooling the eye to make the Cub look bigger). Will you post some pics again of your planes? Once you're done with the list, of course!

Chance,
Are you on the stock set up? Because there's a long amount of throttle at 1/2 power AFTER INITIAL CUT OFF. At dead-stick, I go ahead and zero out the throttle and glide it in. If I'm too far away (I like the plane at a minimum height to clear some brush before touchdown where I fly), or if the air speed is too slow, I'll give it a booster at 1/2 throttle. I know that AFTER I ZERO the THROTTLE following motor cut-off with PZ tx, it resets for additional abilit to fly at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle at least for 45 seconds if not more. If you're not on Stock receiver, do other LVC's allow a grace period too?

I remember that it's a good idea to PLAN to deadstick on a calm day to get the feel. Using the up elevator SLOWS your airspeed, so the opposite is true. DOWN Elevator will bring the plane out of the sky quickly (like if you feel you might overshoot the runway upon approach), but you know that plane will be coming in HOT and will require more runway to stop once on the ground. Plus at higher speeds, the plane doesn't FLARE at the end but rather goes up like a dolphin, and still wants to fly. In such cases the plane does finally flare afterward, and fall out of the sky bending the landing gear. THE BEST WAY TO COME DOWN is to DECREASE THE THROTTLE and let the plane decend gracefully, with NO THROTTLE at landing approach.

Glad you guys got a kick out of those pics!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Chancefind

Sinai-
This is what I said in post # 31 about how I usually land. I've had lots of great landings this way but I'm still interested to hear how you and others prefer to land. By the way...On my question about loops, I'm hoping to hear some peoples descriptions of how they "move on the controls" throughout a loop. I mean like going into it, in the middle of it, and out for the most classic and smoothest executed motion. Like throttle and elevator details. I've done many loops in different ways but just wondering about other peoples movements on the throttle and elevator for the nicest circles.

From post #31 about my landing style:

"Before I land, I trim the elevator up more so I can cut way back on the throttle and fly slower on approach. Once I'm pointed into the wind and lined up with where I'm making a landing strip I start to ease off power more and then totally shut off the engine and pull a touch of up elevator right before the wheels make contact with ground. I never seem to use any down elevator at all in my landings but I'm usually tapping a lot at the rudder to stay lined up with the runway and trying to remember to totally kill the engine before I touch down to help safeguard against scuffing a prop.

I have the stock set up and I do realize that I will have some reserve power for the elevator and rudder after the engine shuts off from a drained battery. I realize I can get a reset short burst of thrust from the engine but I have never pushed it that far yet and have preferred to have lots of extra power since the fields I've flown in have not been that big. This way if an approach looks bad, I've got the peace of mind knowing that I'll have plenty of power for circling around again for a better looking approach to the narrow fields and to get myself pointing into the wind just right for the smoothest of landings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.