Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
bookboy22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

I had my maiden flight tonight. What an easy plane to fly in 5mph winds. There is no need for ailerons. She takes of in 10ft and climbs easy at 1/2 throttle. Turns are slow, smooth and predictable. As this was my maiden at dusk, I didn't want to push my luck, so I flew her nice an easy. I'm sure she can do alot more. Landings are a piece of cake. She just glides in for touchdowns. I can't wait to get the optional battery and the GWS floats. It's so much more relaxing then flying my Hangar 9 p51 and my Goldberg 60 Ultimate bipe. I wanted a plane that I could fly at my local pond along with my nitro vee boat. So far she is everything I was looking for. Flying with the floats is another chapter. Picked her up at my LHS for $175CAN. They just got their first shipment today. It was my lucky day.

Finally, relaxing fun after 3 years of flying like a bat out of hell.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Capt. Yossarian

*Bookboy* I totally understand where you coming from. It's just a nice relaxing plane. Enough juice for moderate stunts, but we all know this one's built for comfort. I had no idea about the weight difference of the e-flights and the GWS, it's conveniently difficult to find the weight. I'm determined to try my e-flight 25 size floats though, I'm hoping with the 8cell she'll pull it out of the water, we'll see. I'll give you a report tommorrow evening, provided I don't sink her, in which case I'll spend the majority of the evening curled into the fetal position whimpering.

*Arg26* Glad I could help in your choice. I tried to be as objective as possible, but I was really smitten with her right off the bat. I think you will be too.

*Foehammer* In my experience you'll come to absolutely loath the Postal Service, perhaps even to the point of cursing them openly in church, but as soon as that postal carrier comes walking up with that big box under arm, you'll instantly fall in love and possibly even offer to have his or her babies, disregarding the fact that you may have incompatible instruments, if you get my drift. So just be careful is all I'm saying.

"Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying."
Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Foehammer

well it finaly came in. i think the problem was that i got the FREE shipping. o well, gatta do the battery run down and stuff, and i didnt know that u had to break in the engine. whoever that was thta said that thxs. ill post after first flight. untill then

STO one can never be too crazy to fly rc. if there are people that crazy, then the odds of the world ending soon are greater than exspected.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Foehammer

oops wrong person srry Cap.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
AGR26

ORIGINAL: Capt. Yossarian

*Arg26* Glad I could help in your choice. I tried to be as objective as possible, but I was really smitten with her right off the bat. I think you will be too.

Yeah! Mike and I are pretty excited at the office. We ordered them just minutes apart. And; another guy (the one that got me really interested in finally getting a plane - the same guy, I bought the Blade CX heli from ), is already enjoying his Super Cub. And; I think, he went out yesterday and bought the Mustang or Fokker (he has it bad! ).

Now...... I am already eyeing the Stryker! Help!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Capt. Yossarian

Arg, yea, it sounds like me. I get impulsive in the LHS and if I'm not careful, can find my self taking out a second mortgage trying to buy more kits. Sure my girlfriend kills me when I get home. Yes, I'm sleeping in the dog house, but I have new planes!!!!!

*foehammer* Yea I hear ya. Sanity is definetly overrated. It's good to take your mind off the hook for a bit and save your sanity for later.

AGR26, I actually went the opposite direction. Got the Stryker first, then went to the SC. Either way, they are both great planes for the price.

Bookboy, I finally dug the e-flights out and it's obvious the majority of the weight is in the landing struts that come with the floats. This is good news for me I hope. I plan on rigging something up that allows me to easily go from floats to tires on the field, so if I manage to use the main gear provided with the stock SC, it should keep the weight down considerably. I need to get a scale!

P.S. The quote "Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying," is from the book Catch-22. Great book on a fictional WW2 bomber squadron. People love the book for the very same reasons others hate it. It's a bit of a social commentary. It's worth seeing if just for the opening scenes. A squadron of B-25's taking off into the sunrise, it's just stunning.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 PM
NitroEddie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new SC had her maiden today! Everything went well. The white plastic piece that attaches to the landing gear rubber a bit on the wheel so I trimmed it. After that, no more rubbing issues. A non-issue really.

What an easy plane to fly! Of course, I say that about just about every plane as I mainly fly helis, but the SC is truly a graceful bird. Very relaxing plane to fly and that is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think I'm getting the 10-15 minutes of flight time it states on the HZ website, though. I would say less than 10 minutes before I notice a decrease in power. Kind of a bummer, but a few spare batteries will get me in the air quicker. I'll probably pick up a 9.6v battery or three (are they worth it?).

Anyone try looping their SC yet? I thought about it, but didn't want to turn the plane into a dirt missle the first day I had it in the air.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:45 PM
tcarp

I had never flown anything other than an Aero Ace and had spent about a year off and on flying a sim. looped it "several" times on its first flight...Handles it with ease. Just make sure you are high enough to bail if you need to..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Capt. Yossarian

ORIGINAL: NitroEddie

The new SC had her maiden today! Everything went well. The white plastic piece that attaches to the landing gear rubber a bit on the wheel so I trimmed it. After that, no more rubbing issues. A non-issue really.

What an easy plane to fly! Of course, I say that about just about every plane as I mainly fly helis, but the SC is truly a graceful bird. Very relaxing plane to fly and that is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think I'm getting the 10-15 minutes of flight time it states on the HZ website, though. I would say less than 10 minutes before I notice a decrease in power. Kind of a bummer, but a few spare batteries will get me in the air quicker. I'll probably pick up a 9.6v battery or three (are they worth it?).

Anyone try looping their SC yet? I thought about it, but didn't want to turn the plane into a dirt missle the first day I had it in the air.
The 9.6v 8 cell pack is definetly worth it. Noticeable performance boost and extended flight time with throttle management. She'll definetly loop, she'll loop on the stock 7 cell. I've also been having fun with tail slides and hammer heads. Still working on the float conversion, harder than I anticipated. THe stock landing struts are threaded which is nice for the tire set up, but not so good if you want to convert to floats or even add bigger tires for grass. Get the 9.6v pack, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
tcarp

ANy hook-ups on where to get that upgraded battery?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Capt. Yossarian

ORIGINAL: tcarp

ANy hook-ups on where to get that upgraded battery?
Just order the stock Parkzone p51 pack. It's exactly what you need. Hell, get a couple.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 AM
Capt. Yossarian

I should also mention that you might need to look at getting a better charger if you go for the 8 cell. Not sure wether the stock charger will charge the 8 cell, though I think it will. I'm betting the LHS guys will tell you that you absolutely need a better charger, but I'm not so sure.

I do happen to use a better charger because I like to charge fast on the field. I use the Duratrax IntelliPeak Twin Pulse Charger! Boy that sounds impressive don't it! No idea what all the bells and whistles mean, but it works. It was about 50 bucks and I can charge two packs simultaneously off my car battery or at home with AC(Usually takes about 10 minutes to charge two batteries). You will need to get some of the Hobbyzone adapters and sauder the new adapter on the new charger leads, but after that, it's pretty nice.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Foehammer

anyone know anything about the wttage coursair? im asking couse my first attemp at a three channel plane was one of those[&o], anywhay it came with an 8 cell battery. can i use that bat. to fly my cub.

i have my cub now but havent taken a full flight . just ran it up and down the drive way to geet used to steering. too windy. about 15 mph yesterday. gonna try again today. ill post after. (by the way how do u convert a video TAPE to a computer file.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Capt. Yossarian

********I made a mistake****** The p51 battery packs are 9 cell!!! Don't get those, it won't fit in the SC. Only the 8 cell will fit. I think it's an optional size battery for the Stryker. Both the stock Stryker and the SC come with the 7 cell pack, but I think they offer the 8 cell as an option or it's for another PZ/HZ plane.

As far as the Wttage Corsair battery, it would work, though you'll need to look at the adapters, which might not be the same size. You can just buy the proprietary connecters from HobbyZone and splice them onto the COrsair battery. If that's too much trouble, just order some 8 cells from Parkzone/hobbyzone and they will come ready to go. My LHS stocked them fortunately.

No idea on getting cassette movies onto the computer.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM
bookboy22

Hi Capt,

Both HH and my LHS explained that the stock chargers will not charge the optional 8-cell 9.6V 900mAh Ni-MH Battery (PKZ1023). Bummer. I'm planning on getting the Hobbico field charger MKII with a 12V field battery.
http://hobbico.com/manuals/hcap0290-manual-v1_2.pdf
It will charge 1-8cell NiCd and NiMh, and 1-3cell LiPo's if anyone decides to upgrade their SC electrics in the future. The MKII will also charge two battery packs at the same time. I'm going to adjust the charger to a rate of 1.0A, as anything stronger will shorten your battery life over time. At that charge rate, it will take 1 hour to charge a 1000mah battery. I would suggest getting two of the PKZ1023 batteries. Remember to recharge you batteries just prior to using them, as NiMh batteries self discharge up to 25% over a couple of days sitting idle. This is the PZ charger wire connector you will need to connect to the ends of the charger output wires. http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HBZ1081.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
tcarp

My charger says right on it:

Output 8.4V .5a, 9.6V .4V
Charges 7 and 8 cell packs (600-1000mah)

Am I misunderstanding something here..Looks like it will do both.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
chief illini

Tcarp,

You are correct, they must be referring to charging the optional 8 cell with the included DC peak charger (which only charges 4-7 cells)...

There is an AC charger that is included that will charge both 7 and 8 cell packs....

chief
Old 08-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Capt. Yossarian

Bookboy, if I could do it all over again, I'd get the charger you mentioned. As it is now, when I go Lipo, I'll need a new charger altogether.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:42 AM
NitroEddie

Picked up a couple 8 cell packs and a cheapo charger yesterday after work. The first charge took a mind-numbing 3.5 hours (stupid 600mah charger). That killed any chances of trying to get in the air last night. Instead, I took the two fresh packs out early this morning before the winds picked up and headed to the park. You guys were right, 8 cell packs from here on out. I doubt I'll even use the 7 cell pack that came with the plane! The SC has much more power with the 8 cell packs which makes climbing after take-off that much easier. Also, the plane responds to control input quicker. Loops are a breeze. Flight time is also much better because the plane requires less throttle to hold a given airspeed and also to climb. The plane also doesn't seem to mind the added weight of the extra cell.

Time to stop by the LHS and pick up a drop module and night fly module as well as a better charger!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 PM
bookboy22

Capt: I'm hearing nothing good about LiPo's these days. Sure you get longer run times and their lighter than NiMh, but their expensive, easy to burnout, easy to damage via accidental drops, and like to catch on fire, explode and burn your house down if you don't know what your doing. I'm sticking with getting the 8-cell optional pack. I'm sure the SC will fly great with the 8-cell NiMh. It flys fine right now on the 7-cell stock battery. I'm pulling loops. Can't seam to roll her though.

Chief and Tcarp: Can you please confirm with your LHS that the AC wall charger will work with the optional 8-cell pack. I know for sure that DC peak car charger will not charge the optional 8-cell pack, but I'm still confused about why HH and my LHS would say that the AC wll charger would not work when it says that it takes 7 to 8 cell packs. I'm in a state of limbo here. If it will work then forget about that Hobbico MKII field charger and the additonal 12V field battery to power it.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 PM
NitroEddie

The wall charger that comes with the SC will charger 8 cell packs. Mine says so right on the charger itself. Takes 3 hours to charge the 8 cell 1000mah pack.

Oh, taking the proper precautions (just like you should be doing with ANY battery pack), LiPos are perfectly safe. I run LiPos in 4 different helis and I have zero issues which includes crashing. My Swift heli takes a HUGE 22.2volt 6S LiPo. Expensive? You bet, but it can't be touched by a NiCd or NiMh in the power to weight to capacity area.

That said, yes, the 8 cell pack does a fine job of pulling the SC around. Loops with plenty of authority, even with the elevator set on the outer most hole.

Hmm, but my 11.1volt 1200mah LiPos will fit in the SC battery compartment...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:56 PM
NitroEddie

Oh, on a seperate matter, I bought the light and drop modules today. Light module works beautifully. Did a little night flying this evening with it. The drop module, however, doesn't work. The electromagnet powers up, but does not disengage when I press the transmitter mounted button. I'm guessing it's defective as the button itself seems to work as the motor also powers down when the button is pressed. looks like I'll be bringing this sucker back tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:04 PM
NitroEddie

Quick question...

Has anyone tried different props on the SC?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:43 PM
NitroEddie

LEDs!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77322.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	506254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18512.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	506255   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27709.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	506256  
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
flyinmoose

Is there any videos yet? Other than the ones on the HH page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.