Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 AM
scubajt41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Whats sad is i bought a spare fusalage and tail section when i bought the plane.. trying my best to make sure it cant be resurrected before i replace
Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 AM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: scubajt41

Whats sad is i bought a spare fusalage and tail section when i bought the plane.. trying my best to make sure it cant be resurrected before i replace
I did the same,,still in a box somewhere...I should round up all my spare parts and have a SC sale [8D]
Old 07-04-2009, 08:02 AM
CMGvsMTB

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for how the electronics are hooked up?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:30 AM
scubajt41

ORIGINAL: CMGvsMTB

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for how the electronics are hooked up?

easy.. recd to red and black to black

i took a picture and will upload in a minute
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
scubajt41

Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Everybody,

Did a Video yesterday and put it on youtube. I tried to put it up here, but for some reason it wont let me. Anyway it think I did a good job on it. The title of it on youtube is HobbyZone Super Cub RC Flight: In Virginia. Take a look if you guys want.

Firebird
Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
rjr6860

I looked at the posts because I have wanted to fly RC for years. After reading decided to get Super Cub. It has been nothing but a nightmare. Have tried 7 times. The most air time was 30 seconds. Have replaced 2 props. I would like to enjoy it but it is so erratic. It won't ever fly straight or even. I am always having to mess with controls - even with no wind.
'
Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM
CMGvsMTB

I recommend taking it to the LHSwhere you bought it and have them look it over. If that's not an option, take it to a flying field and have one of the club members fly it. Also, be sure the wing is centered and that ACT is OFF. ACT is useful, but there are many factors that can cause erratic behavior. It could also be a receiver/tx issue. Either way, I'd try to diagnose and fix the issue locally.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
rjr6860

Thanks CMGvsMTB  . I will take it to LHS but they will probably just think I'm some idiot and should never have purchased it. Anyway, maybe I will just take it to them and leave it and they can call me when they have had a chance to fly it. I don't know what one can get for a used Cub - probably not much. Just very discouraged.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:46 PM
colvid

Fort Knox

Great forum for the Super Cub. Learn to fly with the SC and have enclosed photos of five of them modified. The tri-motor is ready to test; just waiting for cooler day and a friend who is much more experienced than I.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53656.gif
Views:	13
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1229839  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:59 PM
CMGvsMTB

If you don't have a good rapport with your LHS, or their just in it for the money (which is not the way something ancillary should operate). I'm on a first-name basis with everyone at my shop, and see them weekly at a local flying club.

I would do my best to seek a similar experience out in your area if I were in your position. I highly recommend that before you give up, seek out a local flying club and seek them out. The best part about this hobby versus my other hobbies: mountain biking, photography and climbing; the r/c flying community is largely very well-adjusted and friendly. No spandex and angry guys in Audi's here!

I got my cub two weeks ago, but have been using FS One for a few months. After a week, the Cub began to misbehave. Finally, after a week of thorough trouble-shooting and professional assistance, I am no longer grounded.

Don't give up!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 PM
CMGvsMTB

Does anyone know of a better way to reshape the wing rather than using a heavy book and heat gun?  After putting Ekonocote on my Super Cub LP, it only wanted to make right turns until it death spiraled.  I've since fixed this somewhat, but left turns/leveling out is still extremely difficult.  Any suggestions other than get a new wing?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
MCSEVZ

CMGvsMTB, you could try cutting two thin lines near the center of the wing where the dihedral starts...this way it takes pressure off of the wings from the bending effect. After you do that I personally would add a 1" wide strip of more monokote, or put down a 1/4" line of trim, it's up to you though...good luck!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
FirebirdCdr2

This may not be for everybody, but I did have a few problems with my cub when i first got it and i figured it was me, but found out later that even with the act off. For some reason it was interfering with the rx anyway, so i cut the darn ACT out of my Cub.

Firebird
Old 07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
eghershey

Well, bad luck finally really caught up with me this morning. First flight with the cub and made a couple circles of the huge field at a slow pace and then decided to show off a bit in front of the other cub drivers and give it full throttle and took her straight up at full speed. 3 cell lipo and brushless 40 amp motor makes it a real screamer. Climbed about 100 or 150 ft. and all of a sudden it quit...no power......no controls.......no nuttin'. I glanced down and made sure my antenna was out and power on the transmitter and it was....several of us watched it do a death spiral straight down....nose first of course.
Well, one strut pulled thru the wing, wing was off to the side, tail and elevator was in perfect shape, fuselage was in three big pieces and two smaller pieces laying off to the side.
I picked her up and carried her back to the staging area and an evaluation as to the cause while in all those pieces was done. Seems like the Dean connector on the cubs positive wire was only holding on by the shrink tubing.
Two hours of CA shes back together again. Looks like she should be flyable tomorrow morning again.
Word of advice...check those connections often, the dean plugs are positive connections but so hard to release you end up pulling on the wires too and something has to give some times, somewhere.
Wish I had taken pictures of the cub in its crashed state to show just how much abuse they will take and still be rebuild-able.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM
gws_003

I've not used deans,,but the guys at my field that do, use pliers to pull them apart,,no stress to the wires,,just pull on the connectors....
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
twoslick2

Need some help. My SC doesn't have full throttle range. When I try to power up the prop doesn't start to spin until half way on the control,then it cuts off before reaching full throttle. New batts in control and fresh charge in plane antenna aall the way up! anybody got any help?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM
MCSEVZ

Quick question...I don't have my plane with me now and I need to know if the stock transmitter has a trainer jack in it? If so, what kind is it? Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
scubajt41

ORIGINAL: MCSEVZ

Quick question...I don't have my plane with me now and I need to know if the stock transmitter has a trainer jack in it? If so, what kind is it? Thanks

it does not
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM
grubbyjeans

No, it does not. I've installed Futaba equip in my SC and can use a trainer. You just need to install a receiver and servos that are compatible with a radio system that is capable of 'trainer' use.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
MCSEVZ

Ok, I was thinking there wasn't one. Too bad because I have a guy who was willing to train on a larger plane as long as I brought my own controller. Yea, my next step is to get a Futaba 7 or 8 channel radio with receiver and servos (as needed for my future planes).

Did the switch to Futaba or any other aftermarket radio gear add noticeable weight? I wouldn't think it would add much, but I've been wrong about that kind of stuff before.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
grubbyjeans

Ok, I was thinking there wasn't one. Too bad because I have a guy who was willing to train on a larger plane as long as I brought my own controller. Yea, my next step is to get a Futaba 7 or 8 channel radio with receiver and servos (as needed for my future planes).

Did the switch to Futaba or any other aftermarket radio gear add noticeable weight? I wouldn't think it would add much, but I've been wrong about that kind of stuff before.
Haven't weighed recently, but I suspect they were about the same; however, I converted to brushless at the same time.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
scubajt41

i got my flycamone2 today.. does anybody have it? i want to know where to mount it
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 AM
twoslick2

Hello, I have a problem with my SC throttle control, when I try to power up it doesn't start to respond til 1/2 throttle then cuts off before reaching full throttle. New batts in control and fresh charge in plane anybody got any ideas on what's wrong?And how to fix it? Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 AM
MCSEVZ

TwoSlick2 I had the same problem, all I had to do was unplug the ACT sensors from the ESC. After that I had the throttle starting at about 1/4 and actually staying at full throttle! (Amazing, huh?!)

I love this plane, it's fairly agile considering its only a 3 channel. I did a accidental loop at about 30-40 feet and came within 5 feet of the ground at the bottom of the loop, really got my heart beating, but it survived yet more of my abuse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.