Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Sunday Morning over Orlando, Florida!

My 2nd Hobby Zone Super Cub with BP Hobbies A2117/9 brushless motor and ailerons.

Pictures taken by my good buddy Gerry with his new Digital SLR camera and at the High School Concrete Band Practice surface!

Floating into the 5 MPH wind from the North

Knife Edge

Hammer Head

Roll

Landing
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Voodoo101
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice lookingCub, I like the stripes. We have a aileron wing for ours, but haven't used it yet. I put a stock wing back on and a stripe package something like what you have. But it looks like you did a better job than I did.

Would like to get a better look at your P-51, as that's what I'd like to have next.But I'm not up on all the ARF vs RTF and all that stuff yet. I need to konw weather I can use a Spectrum reciever if I buy a ARF. Will the servos plug into a Spectrum reciever?

I've been watching a lot of video on youtube. And I"ve seen your video. Looks very promising and I think it might very well give the Horizon Hobby Park Zone stuff a good run for it's money.

Gives me something to think about.

Thanks for the info...

Bert
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101

Nice looking Cub, I like the stripes. We have a aileron wing for ours, but haven't used it yet. I put a stock wing back on and a stripe package something like what you have. But it looks like you did a better job than I did.

Would like to get a better look at your P-51, as that's what I'd like to have next. But I'm not up on all the ARF vs RTF and all that stuff yet. I need to konw weather I can use a Spectrum reciever if I buy a ARF. Will the servos plug into a Spectrum reciever?

I've been watching a lot of video on youtube. And I''ve seen your video. Looks very promising and I think it might very well give the Horizon Hobby Park Zone stuff a good run for it's money.

Gives me something to think about.

Thanks for the info...

Bert
Bert,

If you are going to buy an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) it usually means just an Airframe Only and no Electronics what-so-ever unless otherwise noted by the distributor.

If you are looking into an Receiver Ready "or" in other language, "PNP = Plug and Play" means that the Electric Power System plus servos and all push rods has been included and all you need is "a" receiver.

If you are looking into an "BNF = Bind and Fly" model then, it usually means that all is included (Take example Park Zone) where Electric Power System, Servos and most importantly Receiver plus Flight Battery pack and charger is included.

Now, Hobby Zone is a little different even though it is under the umbrella of Horizon Hobby label. For example the Hobby Zone Super Cub still comes with the integrated Electronic package and especially the 2.4 Giga Spectrum technology. The issue here is that the servos are not the RC Hobby standard 3-wire and instead comes with the 5-Wire servos so, NO you will not be able to use a separate "Spektrum" Receiver with the 5-wire servos. You will need to remove the servos that come with the Super Cub and install 3-wire.

Hope this helps!
Carlos[8D]
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
DSDRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close call today, but what a rush.  Wind was a lil strong and I was flying in a strange place, flying wise at least.  There is a mile worth of cane field leading up to the neighborhood where my camp is located so figured that would be a good flying spot.  Take off, all is well, then I attempted a manuver that works on my simulator, I was probably 100 or so feet off the ground, pushed up elevator and right rudder at the same time, basically shoved the stick into the top right corner of the controller, plane flipped over but to get it back over had to reverse elevator input, she pulled up fine but had built some speed and was about 2 feet or so off the ground, came up very fast heading straight for power lines, and somehow flew right through them, WHEW!!!!  So I flew around a lil longer but didnt try that again LOL.  I had an original hobbyzone battery go out today, it showed signs but now its gone, anyone know how many cycles I can expect with these?  I probably had 60 or so and no telling how much when I got em, I also only use the stock HZ charger for now.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Voodoo101

Well that's what I don't know and is hard to figure out sometimes. I've seen ARFs advertized that had servos and some that, like you said, have no electronics at all.

What I was really interested in is the NitroPlanes P-51 which I thought was the same as the one you have in one of your videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4bkxovYAI

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't this the same airframe? I don't want to use their basic Tx but would probably use my DX7 because I like the flap feature on that Tx.

I guess I could call Nitro Planes and ask for Tony. Maybe he's thereand maybe he's out flying...who knows.

Thanks for all the information. Being a rookie again, I've got a lot to learn.

Where if any, would you go to find out more about that NitroPlanes P-51. While more expensive, it looks like it could be more aircraft than the HZ P-51 BL that I've been lusting for all winter.

Bert

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Voodoo101

Oh, you gotta watch out for those new manuvers. Best to have lots of altitude and plenty of space for recovery. But I think we've all done something along those lines. Just last night I was flying indoors at the local Soccer Zone, and tried a roll out from the top of a loop with my EmberII. Ended up bouncing off the astro turf nose first. Good thing that stuff is soft and forgiving. I just replaced the prop and prop shaft last week.

I'm hoping for some better weather this next week so I can get the SC out and fly off the snow with the floats again. Seems to be evenbetter than using the wheels on grass.

Spring can't come soon enough to suit me.

Bert
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Glenstr

I just ordered the A-370 Power Up 450 Speed Outrunner Brushless Motor along with the needed ESC, Prop, servos to build another SC from all my surplus parts.  I think I will make this bird my float plane,  and see if I can mount my gopro between the floats.  If I have the time and feel brave enough I may put ailerons on it too.

Will post back once she's done..
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101

Well that's what I don't know and is hard to figure out sometimes. I've seen ARFs advertized that had servos and some that, like you said, have no electronics at all.

What I was really interested in is the Nitro Planes P-51 which I thought was the same as the one you have in one of your videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4bkxovYAI

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't this the same airframe? I don't want to use their basic Tx but would probably use my DX7 because I like the flap feature on that Tx.

I guess I could call Nitro Planes and ask for Tony. Maybe he's there and maybe he's out flying...who knows.

Thanks for all the information. Being a rookie again, I've got a lot to learn.

Where if any, would you go to find out more about that Nitro Planes P-51. While more expensive, it looks like it could be more aircraft than the HZ P-51 BL that I've been lusting for all winter.

Bert

Bert,

To continue with the FMS "or" Airfield P51D Mustang discussion then, please go to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10285563

and look for POST # 54 as I have replied there.

Thanks!
Carlos[8D]
Old 01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Glenstr

I just ordered the A-370 Power Up 450 Speed Outrunner Brushless Motor along with the needed ESC, Prop, servos to build another SC from all my surplus parts. I think I will make this bird my float plane, and see if I can mount my gopro between the floats. If I have the time and feel brave enough I may put ailerons on it too.

Will post back once she's done..
Glenstr,

Okay, there is a very detailed (including most of many people contributions) at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=2

You will hopefully find what you are looking for in modifications on the Hobby Zone Super Cub that others have done before you and wish you best of luck in y our quest for modifications.

For brushless motor modifications that I made on my 2nd Super Cub is located here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10726

Carlos[8D]
Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Glenstr

Thanks Carlos, good info!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Glenstr

Thanks Carlos, good info!

You are welcomed.

Oh, I finally got the rest of the pictures from my buddy Gerry from Sunday morning, January 23rd, 2011.

All Knife Edge!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
CWPOWELL

Nice! I have tough time holding mine in a knife edge.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Guapoman,

Nice Pictures!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 AM
wopachop

Hey guys bought a used super cub. My buddy is an extremely advanced pilot, he threw it in the air and told me i need to balance before i fly. This is my first plane.

Well im searching like a mad man and it seems i could read for 14 days about CG and CL.

The plane has a 2100 battery pack. Its been wrapped in tape but its the stock motor, NO aileron mod.

Hate to ask this question...but is 2.25" still pretty close to the CG im looking for? (thread i read was from 2008)

Does it matter how far sideways i put that 2.25 mark?

So people just use nickles and quarters as weights?

Where exactly do you put the balancing weight? (i got confused last night with this. need to learn all the parts and terms of the plane)

Sorry to post simple questions. Work leaves me little computer searching time. I just want to fly the sucker already!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

Here's my Snow Bird. The Uber Super Cub.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57932.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1562795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98423.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1562796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49984.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1562797  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: MAX HEADSPEED

Here's my Snow Bird. The Uber Super Cub.
That Cub looks awesome...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Glenstr

Took mine out for a flight yesterday, 2 minutes in lost rudder control one direction, plane circled and circled till I finally gave up and put it down. Luckily the lake is frozen..

New Rx/Esc in recently, was thinking now maybe servos are gone. Then I notice when I am retrieving it that the rudder section has partially popped off - thinking I never checked it in pre flight so perhaps that was the cause.. if wind calms down today I'll try it again after gluing tailfeathers down.

If it's the servo(s) then I think its time to gut this and replace the Esc & servos. Probably buying a used Futaba FM radio tomorrow for the other plane I am building, will just get a receiver for the cub too I think.

After the flight I also noticed that the top extension was bent over to and almost broken off, Iknow this wasn't the cause of the rudder not working because it started doing that when the plane was almost overhead, but I'm wondering how much range is going to be affected by the top extension being gone now.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

Thanx.
It flies just as well as it looks too. with some nice relaxing, scale flight characteristics. It's a sweet pleasure to fly. Plenty of power over the original configuration.
I'm using an E-Flite Park 480 1020Kv with a stock PZT28 prop. I can run it with a 3s 1500 mAh 20c or 3s 2200 mAh 20-25c packs.
I've modified the fuse and battery box. The cowl was modified using two layers of plastic screen mesh on the openings to prevent snow from getting into the motor but still allow air to get through.
I've got the wheeled landing gear for an quick & easy change over.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Leisure_Shoot

MAX HEADSPEED, love the paint job. Very believable. Small item, but I like the doors on the side of the fuse. I want one, now.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Voodoo101

Good morning MAX,

It sounds as if you've been reading my mind.You have the exact setup on your LP that I've been considering. So far all I have is the motor mount from Custom RC Parts. It's a real nice piece and I'm sure the motor will fit just great.

BTW, how much air time do you get with a 1300 mAh pack and which ESC are you using.

Thanks for breaking the way for me,

Bert
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

I get about 7-8 minutes with the 1500mAh pack with normal throttle management.

I'm using an E-Flite Park 480 1020Kv with a stock PZT28 prop, an Electri-Fly SS25 ESC, and four(4) HS55 servos.

It's set up to run on either a 3s 1500 mAh 20c or 3s 2200 mAh 20-25c packs that are positioned straight up over the CG point.

Some of the main decals come from the stock PZ T28B (white & red) Trojan decal sheet.

I modified the fuse and battery box and cut in the ailerons. I found some extremely helpful videos that were posted on You Tube by NeCubFlyer.

The wing struts are not stock parts. They are constructed with picture hanging wire inside of poly-styrene tube attached with fishing line swivels.

The cowl was modified for winter use using two layers of plastic screen mesh over the openings to prevent snow from getting into the motor but still allow cooling air to get through.

I've got the wheeled landing gear unit for an quick & easy change over, and I also have a set of GWS pontoons/foats ready to use, if I get the nerve to.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Voodoo101

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a great setup. I'm going to pick up the rest of the parts tomorrow afternoon at the LHS. I will use the Park 480 motor but I'm not sure about the ESC. My LHSexpert was telling me I could save a few bucks and use a Castle Creations ESC. The kid is pretty sharp,so I'll have a look see. I have aqired a good number of 3S 1300 mAh packs, soI'll be using those for the near future.

I'm using the SCLPand a Ember 2 to teach my 12 year old grandson to fly RC. I hadn't flown in over 15 years, but it comes back pretty quickly. Our next bird will probably be the PZ P-51 BL. That way we can keep using the same batteries. I also have the micro T-28, P-51, and the new version of the Sukhoi. That way we can go from the Cub to a faster aircraft with ailerons before he gets into the P-51 BL.

I gotta admit that the SCmods are more for me than for him...I want a little more performance with the floats.We have the HZ float kit installed and it flys off of the snow just fantastic.But the create a good bit of drag and a good loop requires a bit of a dive to build speed. The new motor should cure that.

Thanks again, and any more information you want to shoot my way is always welcome.

Bert

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

I would recommend running a 3s 1800/2200 mAh 20c (min rated) battery.
I only run the 1500 in it because I just happened to run another model, which I cra....ah, landed on it's prop and is in need off some rehabilitation.
I'm planning on checking out a 10x7 prop on it.

Watch that CG.

Here's a useful link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa9pXnEG7uw
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Voodoo101

I'm stuck here at work until 6PM and our web service is filtered, which means I can't see Youtube from here. But I'll check it out when Iget home.

I can tell you hat I like the 10X8 prop that came with my float kit. That prop makes areal difference in performance with the floats installed. If it were not for the fact that we enjoy flying off of the snow with the floats, I'd probably forgo the new motor. But we have a local park that has a huge softball diamond just inside the gate. WE park just off the first base line and fly from near third base. All we need now are more days with winds less than 10 MPH and warm enough so my grandson can stand to be gloveless for more than 10 min. at a time, andI'll soon need two War Birds to fly.

But hey that's OK with me. So far we've been flying everything with our DX6i and we have a DX7 just sitting in the box doing nothing. That's gotta change soon.

Bert
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Leisure_Shoot

Speaking of motor mounts, thought someone might find this helpful. I did this for speed of getting the plane in the air, more than saving $20 on a mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.