Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
wilbur right

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

ORIGINAL: Sinai
ORIGINAL: wilbur right that one was cool too!! Not as cool as your under the bridge attempt though LOL!!
Wilbur, not everybody appreciated my "bridge attempt" video!! lol even though it was 1/2 mile away from any cars (there's 2 bridges in the video, and I flew under the small one, apedestrian bridge). Again not everybody liked it because they said beginners might try something dangerous after watching the video.Glad u liked it though. Thanks
Hey Sinai, you mean THISONE? LOL!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1HDt3H14k[/youtube]
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Sinai

LOL!!! Yep, Wilbur that's the one. For the record, YOUPOSTEDit here! LOL!!!
ORIGINAL: Andyjk Not sure if you've seen my other vid yet:
Andyjk, now that's a good cam angle too!Very clear shot of everything below.Enjoyed thisvideo too. Landing at :50 is a greaser. Oh, and parasails suck too (2:41), especially that one. Itcrashed as youpassed by! lol! I think I could also see the Sydney skyline way out on the horizon, to the northeast of you?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Andyjk

Yeah this camera angle is better as it eliminates the shakiness I get between half and full throttle. Yeah that is the Sydney skyline. Wouldn't mind getting some fotage a litle closer! It's been raining heaps here lately so I havent been able to go out and do more flying. But as soon as it stops, I'll be sure to get more footage =)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Andyjk

Another vid I just put together.

Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymm_z0H7Z3s[/youtube]
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
WVrailfan

Hi folks,
I'm new to RC flying and got the Hobbyzone Super Cub on the recommendation of a flyer at my LHS. I flew it for the first time today. I actually had a good time and the plane few well. On my second flight I struck a goal post and broke a wing. The break is clean and I have repaired the wing, but the crash also broke two of the wing struts.

My question is, can you fly the plane without the struts? I have ordered a new wing and struts from Hobbyzone, but just wondered how much structural support the struts provide.

Thanks, and go ahead and laugh out loud at the new guy. My wife did;-)

Jim

Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
russ_hillis

The wing struts are there to stop the wing from breaking in half. A lot of us have modded the struts or in my case I made new ones using a steel fishing leader kit.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 AM
poeee

With so much love for this 'beginners' plane, looks like it's my best option to get in to the flying hobby (already have/race RC cars).

Where can I get one of these in Australia?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
WVrailfan

Thanks Russ.

The new struts came from Hobbyzone today. They get an "attaboy" from me for having parts in stock and quick shipping. With the new struts and repaired wing,I got the Cub back together.

So to a different field I go (no goalposts)and hand launch my plane and guess what, it flew great! This was my very first time flying any kind of RC plane and this plane made it easy. I even managed to land without breaking anything, though I did nose over twice because the grass is a bit tall. But even then, I had reduced speed and altitude enough that the nose over was no big deal.

I'm off to the LHS tomorrow to get a new battery so i will have two charged the next time I go flying.

I've been a model railroader for forty years. I've always wanted to try my hand at RC flight, but the expense, the thought of how much a single crash can cost kept me away. But now,I thinkI have a great second hobby.

Stay safe
Jim
Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 PM
WVrailfan

I take it the Krylon does not attack the foam? I was under the impression that most spray paint will eat foam.

Jim
ORIGINAL: Leisure_Shoot

Just a heads-up for anyone thinking about painting your Super Cub.
Krylon makes a spray called "True Blue" It is almost a perfect match for the SC stock blue decals.
I got mine at WalMart, so I know they carry it.
Nice way to make yours look better than the original, without having to get customer decals.

ETA:Inoticed after posting, that my SC is in my avatar. It shows the blue paint job on the fuse, cowl, wings, and rudder.
EETA: Here it is...

Old 06-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Dangaras

This regular Krylon started eating my slow-stick foam wings, particularly where I sprayed it too thick. I had used krylon H2O which worked great. Just be careful with the applied amount. I remember using the H2O version of the primer first also. If I hadn't the foam would have been totallydissolved.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
WVrailfan

Well, since you folks showed me it can be done. i painted my HZ Cub to look like one used by the Army in the late 50s. I flew it today andI think it is easier to see painted yellow. I used Krylon from Wal Mart. I primed it with a couple of light coats of flat white before painting the yellow. The flat white dries very fast, before it can harm the foam, then it provides a little protection for the color coat. It came out okay for a first paint job on my first RC plane.

Jim
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
rjr6860

I guess I am finished with Super Cub. This is my Third Season. Last year the plane had almost no power. Could even hardly get it up in the air. Went to Hobby Shop and was told, likely need new battery. I purchased a new 9 cell and still didn't work. Hobby Shop said - must need a new motor. I got a motor and it flew, but I couldn't get the time I used to get in the air. Maybe 8 minutes. So here it is, a new season. I've been trying to charge the batteries every few months. Tried to fly today and got 4 minutes with 9 cell battery. If Iam going to spend more money. I will find lipo. This is irritating. I envy you guys that have such awesome flights documented on video. I suppose one can have a lemon Super Cub just like a lemon car.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Voodoo101
My Feedback: (1)

Hey rj, Don't let it get you down. There are very few things that could be causing your short flight times. I'm guessing that your flight battery has set around the housefor several months without being charged and discharged. Batteries will lose capacity after a while if not used and kept charged to the proper level.

I'm guessing you had a nickle metal hydride battery, rather than LIpo?

I'm not really up on the NMH versions, but a lot of what I've read tells me that they never were all that great with the gear reduced motor. While I know that like most of us, you have to operate within your budget, the best bet is to switch your aircraft over to Lipo flight battery and if you really want good power, get a E-flite Park 450 motor. Of course you'd need a different motor mount but plenty of guys have made their own motor mount from light plywood. I personally have a aluminum mount that I bought from www.customrcparts.com . Nice machined mount and it fits like a glove. And you would need a new ESC. I use a E-Flite 30 amp esc, but you can get both motor and esc from www.hobbyking.com .

Do yourself a favor and read up on some of the mods that have been done to the SCLP. It's even kind of fun to perform the mods yourself and then see how well the plane flys. There is a lot of good information here on this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bert
Old 07-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Sinai

My 1st post here is on page 74, post #1838. Now, 387 pages and 9,678 posts later, I can say I have been an active participant in this thread for a long time. Years, in fact, like some of you others here too. My wife and I have had.. discussions.. about my time spent obsessing over this thread, and other threads on RCU, andwhen you have a hobby, plus a social network about that hobby (RCU), it's twice the time spent. . . so i'm posting at 4:30am while she sleeps... lol I guess she's right after all.

RJR6860,
I got my cub in 2006 and was using the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh) batteries for years, with the same frustrations too. The problem is that u have to charge and fly right then, without waiting. So you become a slave to your charger, trying to schedule flying time 45 minutes before you go while hoping you peak your battery enough to have a good time. Then its a 4 minute flight and your battery is all hot, and you didn't even get to fly. The best NiMh battery for the supercub isn't the 9 cell however. that one is too heavy. It is the 8 cell.

Now I'm using LiPo batteries. I charge, then fly days later at my convenience. My batteries are still ready when I fly. Best of all, at the end of that 10 or even 20 minute flight, the LiPo battery still has just as much power burst for a loop, unlike the NiMh battery that tends to have full power for loops at the beginning, and then dwindle in power steadily until it cuts off.

I remember having a lot of questions before I switched to Lipo batteries. While you don't have to change a thing in your red-trim Supercub, except to pull the J-3 jumper out of your receiver (see manual), Your main 3 things you need are:

[*]Charger (I use a "Triton Jr" charger, cuz the INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN ENGLISH ONLY, and easy to understand best of all)[*]Lipo Batteries (3 - cell Lipos with 1320 mah - 2100 mah)[*]12V Power Converter ( I use a Pyramid 14KX - it's a box you plug into the wall and connect your charger up to for 12V power)[/list]WVrailfan
    that is one beautiful paint job!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

'rjr6860'
You may wish to step up to a PZ T28 Trojan, and consider rehabilitating your Supercub with a Li-Po powered/brush-less system. The Red &White T28B NAVY version is the one I've been flying since January 2008 after driving a stock HZ Supercub w/the 8cell NiMh pack.
It's easier to see compared to the darker gray/blue AIRFORCE version.
All the PZ warbirds use the 3S 11.1V 1800-2200MAh Li-Po battery pack which can be used to power a reconfigured Supercub.
You'll need to invest in a new battery charger as well as familiarize yourself on how to safely use, maintain, and store Li-Po battery packs. A quality Li-Po can provide excellent service if it is used and serviced IAW all applicable standards, but can be as dangerous as an-attended ROAD FLARE going off in your living room, car, etc.....if those requirement are neglected.

Jim, those are some very handsome B1-Rd's you've got there. I hope they fly as well as they look...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Saburo Sakai

Why'd that little guy jump out of a perfectly good Super Cub? Because he's AIRBORNE!!!
The flag is just TOO COOL! I gotta go back about a year in the thread and read how you set her up again, Sinai!
Godspeed!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Saburo Sakai

Because of this thread I just ordered my first Super Cub from HH, so I am no longer a Cub virgin. My beloved Micros shall cry with jealousy, but tough. Got extra, 10x8 prop.Recommended?
Here's the latest spec. sheet, if it's changed since HHwent DSM2, DSMX.:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7380
Got perfect spot to fly her, over the Gulf, over the Bay, and over sand dunes,with concrete landing area. And....winds!
Yippy-tye-yay, Onward to Victory!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
fasterthanyours

I just finished my rebuild less the ailerons, coming soon.  I went to Walmart and picked up some paint.  The wife wanted Purple and I wanted Red, so we'll see how it turns out.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Voodoo101
My Feedback: (1)

Geeze, all you guys getting new Super Cubs and new paint jobs. I'm going to get jelous. I've been thinking about different pait scheemes. I'm leaning toward red with a little black thrown in for good measure. I may have to order a new fuse kit.Saburo, the SC LP BNF flys pretty good as is with a 1300 mah lipo battery. In the end though you'll probably want a different outrunner motor. If and when you make the decision you'll also have to upgrade your ESC. When I did mine I went with a 30 amp ESC so there was no worry weather or not it would be enough, and I can use it in other aircraft when the cub is retired. I bought my motor mount from Gary at www.customrcparts.com he's a great guy and has some very nice products. Does all the work himself and he's great at communication if you have a question or two later on. I've had a few questions because I now use his mounts in a couple of other Parkzone aircraft as well.Anyway if you want it to fly well but not to wild the Park 450 works well for me. If you want more power the Park 480 will bolt up to the same mount, and is a good choice if you're going to fly with floats.When you get your cub and you go out and fly with that 10X8 prop, be sure to let the engine cool a little between flights or at least fly a few minutes near the end of the flight at reduced throttle settings. If you go out and run WOT all the time and don't cool the motor between flights you will burn the motor up for sure. We've seen it happen all to often on this website.You can see photos of my grandson and I at our local flying field at this Google/Picasa Site.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Kzooroa...CL_l4YbckNmCKA#

I can't post single pics from here at work.

Hope you don't forgo your ultra micro aircraft completely. I just flew my UM P-51 and my Sukhoi yesterday. They're still a lot of fun in a small park or indoors in the winter.Have fun and keep in touch on this site,Bert
Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

Congratulations everybody on both the content and the rating of this thread! Had I known in the beginning of my career as a sport scale enthusiast what I know now I would have chosen the endearing HZ flying machine you all are having so much fun with.

I did manage to enjoy and learn a lot with the FZ Cub that I ended up with. The embarassment experenced during a low air density hot day convinced me that a better performing airplane was needed.

In studying the information about the J-3's history it was interesting to find out that it was actually responsible for three "kills" of enemy Nazi planes. So, it seems reasonable to think of it as a "warbird," and therefore, perfectly confortable in the presence of Ace fighter planes.

Rolling in for reconnaissance photos.

Out!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Saburo Sakai

Love H2O with multiple coats. I've had Krylon "Fusion" eat test foam, don't know if it's the same Z-foam as the Super Cub but I'd look out. I love my new Humbrol paints from Red Frog Hobbies out of New Yorkhttp://redfroghobbies.com/ in both latex and enamel, and the enamel I'vebought hasn't eaten even cheap, Chinese foam. Awesome color variety.As always, test on each type of foam before hitting the bird itself.
Godspeed!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Saburo Sakai

Voodoo! Can't post pictures from WORK?Look over your shoulder! The MAN'S coming! I gave you five stars for being a bold flyer! We know what's reallyimportant here!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Saburo Sakai

What, you mean Grasshoppers got credited with three downed Nazi planes? What, with .45 Colt ACP sidearms (happy anniversary, Colt 1911 and legendary creator John Browning)?That's awesome!Did they get commendations? They get my praise!

I'll file reports on this here SC, Mad Web, and convince you that you've got to have one. Yes, of course I'll mount Micro Machine Guns(tm) on her. I've put Dr. Browning and the secret "Elves' Works" elves on the alert downin R&D.

Dear Mad, you MUSTtell us more about these Cub Kills!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
fasterthanyours

I've got a 2200mah 3S 25C battery that i'm going to be using to test with and if all goes well tomorrow I'll be doing a lot of flying next weekend.

I've got the original 1300mah HZ lipos that I can use too.

However in the long run I plan to use 4000mah battery at 40C so I can get longer flights and scale back the throttle to 70% max so there won't be any over heating.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
mad web tv scientist

Sakai, Okay, the first kills were 109s. One was hit by a rocket fired from a cub and another was "killed" by maneuvering him into a mountain side. The final kill was (you guessed it) by the two Cub crewmen using their 1911s on a hapless Storch.

In a related matter that will be discussed in more detail on my HH thread, Although I still get blocked some and/or don't get responses from good, solid sources, My new PC has some really impressive security and it is continually being upgraded such that enemy hackers are getting easier and easier to defeat. My theroy is that at some point it will become obvious even to the most perverted hacker and/or his slave master that honesty will eventually become so much more profitable than perverted pleasures, that the problem of hackers will eventually fade away. That is assuming the end does not come first, of course. Either way truth will become victorious regardless of political correctness and/or "peace in our time" cowardice.

Out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.