Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
solar696

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

ORIGINAL: FlyinLo

ORIGINAL: solar696

I use a car battery charger for my power supply. It has adjustable amperage. 2 amp, 10 amp and "engine start" I leave it at 2 amp and keep both charging knobs just below 1 amp
be very cautios with any automotive type baterry charger, it provides "dirty" DC power, meaning: it is not regulated, voltge will swing up/down , it is not pure DC voltage, some of those even have AC spikes.
the automotive type charger is hooked directly to a car battery, the battery is a huge capacitor (and voltage buffer). it will soak up any spiked voltage swing even minor AC spikes. it does not care.
Using such charger will be torture on any DC electronic equipment and can/will send it to the grave.
Won't the fuse on my charger protect it?
NO, the fuses are designed to blow/break when exessive current or voltage flows through it. Example a 5 amp fuse (the metal part) would heatup / melt and break apart only if you try to push more than 5 amp through the circuit.
The fuse will not blow if you have voltage spikes or even reverse current A/C, it does not care which way the electricity flows as long as it is not more that the fuse can handle.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
solar696

ORIGINAL: dlabrie

ORIGINAL: Bigtone
24 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh $24.59 (3) 9.6v packs
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=38

36 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh $35.99 (4) 10.8v packs
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=144

Let me see if I have this right. I could buy 36 of these batteries and put them together in packs of 7 and have 5 battery packs that are the same as the
HobbyZone HBZ1013 Battery, 8.4V 1000 mAh That go with my Super Cub ?

David in NH
You got it. The pack you build would be better because it has more capacity 1200 Mah.
But keep in mind you would also need battery bars to connect the cell , some of those tabs will not line up (mine did'nt ). You will need shrink wrap, some wires for the lead wire and some connectors, good soldering gun, flux and solder. But it is the way to go if you have the knowledge and the time. You can make custom 7, 8, 9, 10 cell packs, flat or in 2 row. Now you can also replace dead cells in the hobbyzone packs.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
solar696

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

see you next year
:-)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 AM
dlabrie

David where is Campton? I also live in NH
First off...HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

FlyinLo,

Campton is the town just north of Plymouth. Exits 27-28 off of Rt. 93. Waterville Valley is about 10 miles NE.

Solar696,

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to this aspect of the hobby. Can you tell me what kind/brand of meter I will need to use for batteries, power supplies, etc?

Ofnsve,

Qreat pics! I am still waiting for my Super Cub to arrive. I also have the skis on my "wish List" at Tower Hobbies:-)

David

Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 PM
dav44

Good News!!

The throttle cutting out problem was indeed the battery pack needing to wake up. This goes for the extra pack I purchased as well. In my opinion the initial draining of the pack using the plane may not quite do the job. I got a Radio Shack power supply and got my Robbe automatic charger/discharger going and did a discharge and then charge on both packs, plugged them into the plane, throttled up and blew the papers off the table with no cut outs. I'm not sure the supplied wall charger is that great. I wonder how many planes are returned or free Rx and battery packs are needlessly sent when apparently all that is needed is a good discharge and charge of the packs.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for some good weather...oh well at least there is wall to wall football...GO OSU!!

Thanks for the knowledge and help,
David
Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
jonahex2099

Hi All! I'm 100% new to RC Airplanes and my wife thought it'd be a great hobby to get me outside more. So the Super Cub was what she got me. I've had -0- experience with anything like this so it was pretty interesting.

My first flight was horrendous and I was lucky I didn't break anything - had it up, was doing alright then lost it and nosedived, minor dents. My second flight I nosed it and broke the prop (because I didn't kill the throttle as it took a dive) and being new to this I didn't know what a field box was so I didn't think to bring anything to repair with. [&:]

So a trip to the local shop and a couple days later we get some decent flying weather so I head out to give it another go. My very first flight this time I had her up for a good three or four minutes and then got cocky and nose dived straight into the one patch of concrete in the entire field (4 soccer fields side by side). Shattered the cowl and snapped the fuselage right at the tail section (there's a photo of someone who did the same thing much earlier in this thread and mine literally broke in the exact same place) So - I jumped in the car and headed to the hobby shop thinking I'd have to replace the entire fuselage. As it turns out, some fast drying foam glue was all I needed as it was a clean break.

So I glued her up after taking apart the tail section, and I also reinforced it with some 1" strapping tape once the glue set. (White tape with fiber through it). They didn't have any extra cowl's but the gent in the shop said it was fine to fly it without the cowl just don't nose it in...

Back in the air and I'm finally getting the hang of it and I start to lose it again as the plane starts a slanted roll straight towards the side of a barn..!!! As it went out of sight I jerked back on the stick waiting for the impact with the building and somehow I managed to recover from that and bring her somewhat gently to the ground...

So I decided for one more try...and after spending 15 minutes in the air finally getting the feel for flying, not trying anything fancy - I have to say that I'm totally in love with this sport/hobby, and plan on spending a lot more time (weather permitting) flying this plane in the next few weeks. I hope to graduate to another plane in three or four months so if there are any recommendations please feel free to share!!!

Anyway - I just wanted to share my experience with this plane, and my new found love of flying!

And one last question - spare parts online? Any recommended sites that carry a good stock (I've checked out Hobby Zone already)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:28 PM
FlyinLo

Hobbyzone is where I get my parts. Shipping is pretty reasonable.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 PM
patnchris

There doesn't seem to be a suplier of discount HobbyZone parts around...Seems that everyone sells for MSRP or close to it.....Ebay is out there and you might be able to buy a whole plane....I would suggest that is is a good opportunity to patronize your local hobby shop. They can be a tremendous help to a new flyer, and if they don't make a little profit, they won't be around, so you can purchase those last minute necessities, when you need them......Pat
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
xtian999

Hey Guys,
I'm letting go of my beloved Super Cub. It has only been flown once (flew great). I'm selling it to make room for a tow ship for my glider. Has 2 wings, 2 batteries, 2 chargers. Will trade for G3 or equivalent sim. Cash offers also welcome.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 PM
mmcnab

DUDE you have it all backwards. The super cub is the easiest plane I have ever flown. Seriously flies like a dream. Even a firm handlaunch is effortless. Tried to fly my slo-v for the first time 2 weeks ago and pulled up too far!!! Nose dived down and busted airfraim, landing gear mount (wich is other half of wing mount), reciever mount, battery tray, and servo mounts. If you fly your cub, say for instance you snap wing in half; throw some CA glue on it, hit it with some accelerator, maybe a littlle clear packing tape and your right back in the air. Been wanting to right some reviews on the super cub because im so moved by how gracefull it flies, and effortless controlling. Just an all around awsome plane. GO FLY THAT THING YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 PM
savage 40

Yes Package tape is the cubs best friend! I taped all the edges and the fueselage (after I snapped it in half) and this thing sure is fun! a kid at 42! heres another fun thing to do!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55860691994136 a reply to jonahex2099
Old 01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
jonahex2099

ORIGINAL: savage 40

Yes Package tape is the cubs best friend! I taped all the edges and the fueselage (after I snapped it in half) and this thing sure is fun! a kid at 42! heres another fun thing to do!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55860691994136 a reply to jonahex2099
What camara did you attach? That is awesome! Mayhap when I get a few more flights under my belt I'll try something similar!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:50 PM
savage 40

I got one from overstock.com. No name though, it was just advertised as the worlds smallest digital video recorder.. I will post a picture of it tomorrow.. ( it looks like they are out of stock) it was34 bux!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
FlyinLo

I have a question about motor break-in.

Rather than using two "D"-cell 1.5v batteries could I use three "AA" 1.2v cells?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
m0ng00se

About the camera, thats the CSIT 5 in 1 DV camera you are talkin about. Thats what i used before it flew away from me with the plane. I have 5 or so videos from it. Here are two that i edited and uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuYxWcXHHXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3vPDrAr3Dw

Videos would prolly be a lot cooler if i had more than trees around me
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
mmcnab

Just an idea for some nubiee's scared to fly, I bought a simulator on e-bay express for $26 at my door, new in box. Preaty fun and usefull for $12 and shipping.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM
EBasil

Well, the SuperCub is not a first plane for my Father and I, who fly together, but it's an instant favorite. We've been flying/crashing the hideous HobbyZone Crashbird Freedom, having a blast with a ParkZone Super Decathlon that we've upgraded with motor and prop and just built a pair of Slow Sticks, using electronics scavenged from -Zone planes. The Super Cub was a Christmas present to my Dad from Mom, and the first thing we noticed was that she's BIG, the wing has a deep cross-section, nice dihedral and the kit includes a wall-charger, too. Very cool.

Our first flight was 2 days after Christmas, after one charge and run inside the house to break-in the battery and motor and then another just taxiing around the street. We hand-launched into a 5mph breeze with light gusts and the SuperCub handles very nicely, with adequate horsepower to climb through mild wind and excellent recovery characteristics. We flew with the ACT turned on, but I doubt we ever had it in an orientation where it activated, being able to take her up to a level between 2-300' and then fly roller-coaster eights with ease. It flares nicely on landing, but we did take a few chunks out of a wingtip. I've repaired that with some foam putty and now lined the leading, trailing and tips of the wings with clear packing tape. This thing is basically a grin factory, is notably easier to fly than the Super Dec and will make a GREAT first plane for anyone. It's big, stable, well-powered and looks great. A lot of fun. It handles light breezes, that pitched our Storm Launcher and Slow Stick around, with aplomb and simple handling.

We like the stripes under the wings, but like those on the Super Dec even more, so I'm thinking about adding either Sharpie striping or something brighter in an asymmetrical pattern to assist us with orientaton when she's high and away. Of course, we're already wondering if there's an RC-car motor or something out there that's a little hotter and a direct swap-in, as there is for the Super Dec (what a great move that was!) ?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Mr. Mugen

Here a pic of the fellas I flew with this morning for the first time. They are one cool bunch. Myself and friend mcnab went with them to our favorite fishing/flying hole Teal Lake. We had a blast. The Super Cow was a favorite for the windy conditions. It has ailerons and a 3s lipo. Also flew my new typhoon today. Will have video of it up in a while. It was an awesome morning once again. The folks pic'd are Bob and Nate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74842.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	589809  
Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Mr. Mugen

Believe it or not this cow never hit the ground or was on the ground when photo was taken As you can tell by the elev. I was just starting to pull up 6 feet infront of mcnab taking the pic. I never hit the ground or him and didn't crash....lol. The 3s lipo is simply amazing in this 4ch. cow/cub. I used a mono ski set up.. I just made the wire to fit and put one ski on it. It responds so much better than the other cub with 2 skis. Of course I hand launch it but it lands nicely and tips to one wing tip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99036.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	589832  
Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
savage 40

here's the link to the camera... http://www.overstock.com/?page=profr...43095#moreinfo
Old 01-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Mr. Mugen

Yup thats the one I wanted but they say it may be a while before we get to buy one. Bummer.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Bigtone

This is out of stock but, look at this price! http://usbmall.com/g2/prodView.asp?idproduct=42

ORIGINAL: savage 40

here's the link to the camera... http://www.overstock.com/?page=profr...43095#moreinfo
Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 AM
cjdscratch

Mr. Mugen what servos and esc are you useing in that beautiful cow?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Mr. Mugen

I use the hitec hs56hb's for the elev and rudder and hs-55's for the ailerons (would have used 56hb's but they only had 2 of them). I use a futaba R114F reciever and a futaba T6XAs radio. Man does it fly awesome with ailerons. Have to see to believe. By the way Welcome to RCU. I hope you can learn a lot here....I did.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
cjdscratch

Thanks Mr. Mugen,

I was into RC Trucks for a while. I stumbled on this forum and went out purchased my first plane the Super Cub. I was hooked on the first 2 minute flight. Since then I have sold all of my RC truck equipment and am focusiing on learning to fly. And having so much fun doing so. Thanks to this forum I have put floats on my cub and now I am ready for Ailerons and Lipo's. I was thinking of using one of GWS's esc's and a TP1320 prolite 3 cell lipo. I have a DX6 radio that I am using for my Hyperion Sniper I just need another reciever for the cub. Any Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.