Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
flyinmoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Parky,
I told you I wouldn't be gone long. Hope all is going well.

Zestril ,
I've used that stuff and I don't really care for it. Messy and you've gotta sand it, fill it sand it fill it. You get the point. If anyone else has used this and liked it speak up. This is just my opinion.
Later
Moose
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Trev63

ORIGINAL: psion854
I took off the ground like a pro-it was flying fantastic.
I think I over compensated and had trouble with my brain getting used to the throttle being a slider on the back.
Also what is the highest capacity battery u can use in stock supercub

Regards

Boz from Oz

Hey Boz,
I got my SC just over a month ago and have put 50 flights on it now, luckily without a scratch so far (touch wood). I have never hand launched it as it takes of from the ground so easily, despite the manual's insistance that this is more advanced.
A mate of mine has a Cessna 182 EGO and it totally struggles to get airborn, not the Cub!!

I disliked the Aussie version controller (a pseudo Mode 1, elevator on left & rudder on right, slider on the back) [see pic for those that haven't seen it] I ordered the pseudo Mode 2 (elevator and rudder on the one stick on the right, slider on the front) controller direct from Hobbyzone in the US. Pity it wasn't optional either way as it would save the expense, but it was worth it as I feel much more confident with the "joystick" arrangement like flying a flight sim on the PC.

The highest capacity? I have seen a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intellect-1400mAh-2-3A-9-6V-NiMH-Battery-Pack-Firebird_W0QQitemZ230143930234QQihZ013QQcategoryZ8 4443QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]1400maH 8 cell NiMH[/link] on ebay, but I purchased the cheaper 1200maH from this seller and it gives good power and reliably extends flight to 15mins or more. Much better than stock.

You can go the LiPo way but they are much more expensive and need a special charger. Although you cannot recharge the 8 cell with the stock SC charger (7 cell max). I didn't have a problem as I purchased a PZ Spitfire at the same time and it has the bigger charger.

In any case I have just ordered a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300116448641&rd=1&rd=1]computer charger[/link] so will have the LiPo option open to me, mainly for the Spitty though.

Have fun flying,
Trev
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47236.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	706930  
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 AM
hsclater

I lost my cub [&o]

I was flying at the edge of a field or crops, which was very short and sparse where I was, and it cut out and went down. I thought it would be easy to locate as the crop was so short and didn't take a good fix on the location, and when I got up there it was up to my chest! I have been out 4 times now for an hour each, and cannot find her.

I still have the transmitter, battery and charger - is it cheaper to buy all the parts and rebuild from scratch?

Or can anyone recommend perhaps a model up that I could use these parts with, maybe a parkzone model?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
field flyer

I've been thinking about adding ailerons to my plane, but doing it an unconventional way, let me know your thoughts. I have all stock electronics and tx. I plan to upgraded to a 3-cell lipo soon. Once I get the lipo, I will use my floats more often. Ok, back to the ailerons. I attached a picture of what it would look like, in theory. I would use the rudder servo to control the ailerons. I would turn the rudder servo 90 degrees and attach two control rods, and run them throught the sides of the plane. .

Will using just ailerons allow me to turn left and right, sort of like a rudder does? Do you think this set up will work?

Name:	Nk27727.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	707030  
Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Showtime100

hsclater, If you think it has any battery left, walk to about where you think it went down and give it full throttle. You may hear it thrash about. At worst you may brake a prop, at best you find it. Losing a plane would make me sick as you get zero to salvage.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Showtime100

ORIGINAL: field flyer

Will using just ailerons allow me to turn left and right, sort of like a rudder does? Do you think this set up will work?
You can fly all around with ailerons and never touch the rudder on a 4+ channel. In a real airplane I believe pilots use ailerons simultaneously with a touch of rudder.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
hsclater

ORIGINAL: Xirtic88

hsclater, If you think it has any battery left, walk to about where you think it went down and give it full throttle. You may hear it thrash about. At worst you may brake a prop, at best you find it. Losing a plane would make me sick as you get zero to salvage.
Thanks - this was the first thing I tried, it is not making any noise. The plane has a dodgy connection on the battery - I had just had a rough landing and I think that was why it cut out in the fist place. So it is not making any noise...it's been over a week now as well and the crop is even higher.

Do you think the Parkzone P-51 Mustang would be a good next plane? I'd like something with a bit more power and ailerons....
Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 AM
zestril5

hsclatter
I was going to say just what Xirtic88 said. I lost mine due to a radio glitch about 200 yards out and in a huge expanse on 40-50 ft trees. I wasn't even going to look for it but my flying buddy said at least give it a try. Since I can't walk any distances we drove to the tree line and he went into the woods. It dawned on me that I should power up in short bursts so that he might hear it. That's how he found it. It had fallen through those tall trees to about 15 feet off the ground and shook out easily. Best part was no damage except for some leaves stuck in the cowl.

Moose
This is just my opinion.
Thanks that's good enough for me!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Showtime100

Has anyone painted their SC? I was thinking about painting mine the Yellow w/ black strip and adding big tires. Pics and type of paint would be helpful. I heard H2O paint would work on the foam.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 AM
zestril5

I'm using Enerland Lipos, (20C 1200 Mah 3s) in both cubs. When I first started using them they lasted longer and I could pop up in the air in a couple of feet. Not so anymore. I guess I've charged them with the supplied charger at least 50 or so times. I don't have a balancer, or a cycler for charging just the stock charger with a thingy that stops them from overcharging.

So my question is why the loss of zip. It is my understanding that neither nimh nor lipos need to be cycled (charged and discharged) for top performance. But what about balancing lipos? Is that important?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Showtime100

[quote]ORIGINAL: hsclater

ORIGINAL: Xirtic88

Do you think the Parkzone P-51 Mustang would be a good next plane? I'd like something with a bit more power and ailerons....
Sorry about your Cub... I don't know much about the Parkzone Mustang but I know they started a thread on it in here. Having no wheels would drive me nuts. Anyways, I just ordered the Hanger 9 P-51 PTS but only after reading almost every post in the 146 page thread. I have never personally seen the P-51 PTS, yet but after reading all that, I feel like I know a ton about it. However, I am still enlisting the help of an instructor to help me learn much more.
Of course, the PTS cost more than the Parkzone and is gas.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
zestril5

Lots of people have painted their Cubs. You can see my feeble attempt in post no. 3135 and post no. 3137. I used acrylic paints both air brushed and regular brush on. Any water based paint will not harm the foam. Although Those posts don't show it I have changed my Cubs Wheels. I got them at Maxx Products. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html

I have the 2.5" AW250 in the front and the 1.25" AW125 on the back I think these are much more realistic looking than the Dave Brown or Dubro wheels although they are a "bit" heavier. Nothing the cub can't handle though.

If I paint another one I think I would sand off all these relief marks first, especially on the wing. I would put on a primer coat after that and then either hand brush or air brush a couple of coats of the yellow (or whatever color)

The decorations are decals made with the Testors decal kit and my computer. Again If I were to do another I think I would use Label Paper (like Avery) instead of decals. I'd apply just a little heat to better bond the label paper to the foam.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
3010charles

Hello to all, I own one of these awesome Supercubs! I use to fly nitro planes before my 5 kids came along,now their grown and gone. So i'm starting over again.I read so many good things about this plane that I just had to have one. Bought mine off of E-bay from Diversion Hobbies for a $159.99 with extra battery and drop module & shipping.
After flying about 30 packs thru it I'm glad I chose this plane to get back in to the Hobby. I have most of the upgrades ordered, including a DX6. I've had some radio glitches because I fly near a interstate....almost gave me a heart attack!
I've read thru the whole thread and found a lot of very useful info....Thanks everyone who has contributed!!!
I have a question for any one who might care to help. Looking thru the Horizon Hobby site at other foam flyers I seen that the Typhoon comes with a brushless motor. Will this bolt into the stock S.Cubs motor mount?

Again I would like to Thank everyone for all of the great tip's and other info in this thread!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Showtime100

ORIGINAL: zestril5

Lots of people have painted their Cubs. You can see my feeble attempt in post no. 3135 and post no. 3137.
Hey, looks cool. For some reason I like the Yellow & Black better than the White & Red. I have alot of good grass areas to take-off and land so the bigger tires should help with that.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 AM
flyinmoose

I have used both the H2O and the Krylon fusion. The H2O is a little heavier due to it being latex. I use the Fusion paint and highly recomend it. You can find it at any home store or wal-mart.
Moose
Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Showtime100

I've seen videos of guys landing their SC and I can't believe how slow they can get this plane and keep it stable in the air. When I come in for a landing if I don't keep the throttle at least 1/4 all the way til a foot or so off the ground, it gets very uncontrollable. I've found faster approach speeds are easier to control. I do notice that landing into a little headwind is easier but I don't fly the Cub much in breezy conditions.
Any Suggestions?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
rick88ss

ORIGINAL: flyinmoose

I have used both the H2O and the Krylon fusion. The H2O is a little heavier due to it being latex. I use the Fusion paint and highly recomend it. You can find it at any home store or wal-mart.
Moose
I tried some of the Krylon Fusion paint on a scap piece of foam and it melted the foam. Did you yourself use it on the Suer cub?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: zestril5

Someone told me about this product "hobico Hobylite filler"

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL481&P=7

Not much information is given about it. Will it bond with the foam and not crack off at the slightest jarring when used as a filler? Can it be molded to fix like the edges of the Cub's wings.

My wing edges are chewed up pretty good from taxiing aroung too fast on turns on a gravel parking lot. I was looking for something that would repair the damage since I didn't have the foresight to tape B4 it became a problem.
My wingtips were also pretty rough. I simply got some vinyl electrical tape (I used white) and "stretched" around the wing tip edges. The tape smooths the missing chunks in the foam pretty well.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
rick88ss

Can somebody be so kind and measure the factory settings on the Super Cub for the elevator and rudder deflection? I'm setting up my new DX6 and I'm using the Spektrum servos and I need to make sure that I have the right amount of movement on the control surfaces before I maiden her on the new equipment.

I searched everywhere and I can't find the info. I even emailed Hobbyzone and the don't have the info that I need.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
L8again

Hey rick...near as I can tell.. rudder has 1 1/8" throw, and elevator 3/4" . I have the cotrol rod at the second hole in on the horn.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 PM
rick88ss

Thanks for the info but is that total length of throw from left to right for the rudder and up and down for the elevator or is it the distance from the center of each control surface ? So it's 9/16" left and 9/16" right for the rudder and 3/8" up and 3/8" down for the elevator? Are both of the control rods in the second hole of the horn? Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
flyinmoose

Rick
Yes I used it myself. I also think it covers a lot better. I used it to paint my cub 3 or 4 different times and never had the slightest bit of foam melt. The pictures of my cub below was done with the Krylon Fusion paint.
Moose

Name:	Vs55785.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	707479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61333.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	707480  
Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
rick88ss

I might have to try it again on a better piece of foam. I tried the paint on some cheap low density packing foam. I wanted to use the camo colors the Krylon Fusion has. Olive for the top half and tan for the bottom of the Cub. Did you use any primer?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 AM
L8again

Both rods are in the second hole in, and measured from center...1 1/8"| 1 1/8" etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 AM
rick88ss

Thanks for the info. That seems like a little too much. How does your Super cub handle in the air?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.