Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

ORIGINAL: cocey

I have an experienced friend that is helping me but I also like to try on my own. We took it out Sunday- crash-wind. Going to meet agin this weekend.

I am glad that you have Help. Please, just a recommendation of course.....when you do try yourself it would highly increase the chance of a crash and does a few things.

First, your model will get damaged. I do hope you make sure your experienced Friend gets to know exactly what happened during your "on your own" trails that may have resulted in a crash.

Second, a missed item such as a cracked wing, cracked control horn that is not obvious might result in a ugly crash from up high (without any control) and hopefully the model is flown where people are not underneath.

Just keeping things simple and safe. Again, I would allow the needed time to obtain experienced help first even though you are determined to learn quickly.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
russ_hillis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cocey, if you can - try and get a copy of Flying Model Simulator, commonly known as FMS for your computer. It's not perfect but it's free. Get it set up so you're imitating a 3 channel with your joystick and fly the crap out of it. It will help you immensely with the left/right/up/down control of the plane. I'd say spend at least 6-10 hours on the simulator over a week. Get as much artificial stick time as possible, it can be a god send for the real thing.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM
bmonnig
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: russ_hillis

cocey, if you can - try and get a copy of Flying Model Simulator, commonly known as FMS for your computer. It's not perfect but it's free. Get it set up so you're imitating a 3 channel with your joystick and fly the crap out of it. It will help you immensely with the left/right/up/down control of the plane. I'd say spend at least 6-10 hours on the simulator over a week. Get as much artificial stick time as possible, it can be a god send for the real thing.
Here's a link to Gary Gunnerson's models for FMS. Notice he's got a HZ SuperCub on the list! IMO, it even flies like the real thing (Which is the goal). I've got our youngest spending time flying "my" SuperCub in FMS, practicing to fly my "real" SuperCub.

gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
cocey

Ok- thanks for the help!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
russ_hillis

Guys, I'm still having lots of problems with these floats. Plane want's to turn left all the time, on the water and in the air. In the water, if I keep on it with right rudder input it will eventually dig in and make a hard right turn. If I stay off the stick, it does the same only left. I have managed to get it in the air a couple of times and I have the trim full right and I still need to add right rudder to keep things sensibly straight. I've tried a few things, squared the floats & added bracing between the front & rear gear, but something is just not right.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Leisure_Shoot

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: cocey

Okay- after three horrible crashes and repairs I took out the cub to try and just launch and fly it straight and land. I am able to do that. It seems I was giving too much throttle and the plane got away from me quickly. Next I want to turn and land. How high up should I be to turn?Also, what speed/throttle should I beflying at. Full seems to quick for me.Thanks- any other suggestions appreciated!
I highly recommend to seek an experienced RC Flyer or seek a RC Club with certified instructors that can help you and provide you with the needed beginners skill.

These threads are very limited when it comes to teaching you behind the sticks.

Best of luck.

Carlos

While this is definitely the best advice, it is not necessarily reasonable for everyone. And most people with Super Cubs probably learned to fly them on their own. Because the Super Cub is not a great trainer, many instructors or clubs may not recommend it. Mainly because it doesn't really fly like a faster, more capable aileron trainer like a T28.

I see 2 things you are doing "wrong" from your post.
1. You should be low when you approach to land. Start your turn to land from a low altitude so that when you come out lined up, you are low enough. If you are not low, go around and set up for landing again. Trying to dive down to land will only gain extra speed and cause you to land too fast.
2. You should be flying with power when you land, as gliding in will cause your controls to be sluggish since the plane will be moving slowly and the prop will not be pushing air past the control surfaces. 1/2 - 3/4 seems to be the preferred set-up. Cut the throttle as you are landing. Imagine yourself flying 1 foot over the landing area. If you fly to that altitude smoothly, cutting the throttle further, and settling to the ground will go great.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Leisure_Shoot
...Because the Super Cub is not a great trainer, many instructors or clubs may not recommend it. ...
Not a great trainer. That puts it in a league of several other nice planes. More like the best r/c trainer ever made. Except for hard core nitro guys, I don't know any experienced pilot (who's actually flown the Super Cub) who doesn't recommend it as a trainer.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Leisure_Shoot

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Leisure_Shoot
...Because the Super Cub is not a great trainer, many instructors or clubs may not recommend it. ...
Not a great trainer. That puts it in a league of several other nice planes. More like the best r/c trainer ever made. Except for hard core nitro guys, I don't know any experienced pilot (who's actually flown the Super Cub) who doesn't recommend it as a trainer.

It's a different type of trainer. Kinda like training wheels. Few airplanes that we fly later in our hobby fly the same way. Most times, an instructor will lead new pilots to something else with ailerons.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
cocey

Thanks for the tips. I am a 40 year old that likes do things on his own sometimes. I also flew a Firebird Commander for a few months with little problem. I am going out with my friend again on Sunday as he is very experienced. Should I expect the CUB to level off once I am at the altitude I want to be. This things seems like it just wants to climb. I realize that I will probably make more mistakes on my own but that is part of the experience. The firebird was more of a glider and once I had it up I didn't have to worry about elevation. I would expect the Cub to level off at some point and fly straight? Am I wrong in thinking that?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
russ_hillis

@ full throttle the super cub will keep climbing if trimmed as per directions. Maybe read through the little manual that came with the plane. It explains how it was designed to be flown. Level flight is expected between 1/2 & 2/3rds throttle. Ascent & descent is achieved by adjusting the throttle.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
guapoman2000

Cocey,

I don't have any experience with the Firebird Commander on the sticks and have seen it fly in the hands of others who frequent our Club.

If you are flying your HZ Super Cub in stock form then, I would ask for assistance in the adjustment of control surfaces to match your skill level. The constant gaining altitude is normal for a model with this thick airfoil as it provides for lots of lift. However, it is not impossible to keep the model flying level (you being in control instead of the model) by keeping the required trim setups in a certain manner to keep it from gaining so much, however, it sill still have a tendency to climb just because of it's airfoil design. If you don't seem to be able to keep the model at level flight it means that either you have not enough travel on the control surfaces and at times this is good for a complete beginner, however, since you are not then, I would consider to move the control clevises closer to the control surface to provide additional movement and therefore control.

Many here in central Florida just purchase the Airframe Only and modify the plastic battery holder to provide a larger 3-cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLY and depending on the power system some keep the smaller 3-Cell, 1300mAH Li-POLYs to keep things as light as possible.

It is the best trainer that $$$ can buy. It is simple and a great flyer.

Good luck!
Carlos
Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Glenstr

finally got my batteries, and isee that they'll charge fine on the stock charger, but the connector to the plane is different. Is there an adaptor Ican get or do Ineed to change the connectors?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
russ_hillis

I assume it has the yellow plug? Check with Holden RC Hobby in Holden I know they have them. Open late on Thursdays.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Glenstr

my stock one has a blue plug with two female connectors, while the new ones are red with one male and one female.

ps. I'll call the store in Holden, but it's 200+ km's so I don't think I'll make it by closing time..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Glenstr

OK, enough practice, getting ready for my first aerial video, hopefully tomorrow at lunch if the wind is ok. Was trying to figure out how to mount the little Turnigy cam and came up with this (see pics)

My tail section still seems to dip on one side, even with a new one, put a folded paper shim in and it seemed to help. Also ran packing tape along the edges of my new but battered wing (hit a powerline and it was enough force to pop it off the plane, but other than a nick out of the back it seems ok.

Will covering the missing foam with packing tape be ok? Iran it along the leading edge of both wings as well, hope thats ok too..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig10991.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1485924   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr56035.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1485925   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg93547.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1485926   Click image for larger version

Name:	au56980.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1485927  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
russ_hillis

Glenstr, check your balance before you fly. That camera is a bit far back, I try to put loads under the center of balance.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Glenstr

good idea, however the camera is super light so Ithink it should be ok. What's the best way to check the balance?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
grubbyjeans

ORIGINAL: Glenstr

good idea, however the camera is super light so I think it should be ok. What's the best way to check the balance?
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15814528&postcount=31910]How to balance your SC[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/grubbyjeans#p/a/u/3/U_gpBCVCg1w]That is where I mounted my camera. Just be sure to check balance after mounting the camera.[/link]

Old 08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
bmonnig
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: grubbyjeans

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15814528&postcount=31910]How to balance your SC[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/grubbyjeans#p/a/u/3/U_gpBCVCg1w]That is where I mounted my camera. Just be sure to check balance after mounting the camera.[/link]
I've been cross-forum quoted! Ifeel special! Dang...I'm gonna have to put outlet covers on those outlet boxes now...

Nice video, btw. I've been flying my SCwith a pair of the keychain cameras, one facing forward, one facing rearward. I like being able to see the tail feathers move in-flight. I'm still using the crappy stock 27mhz system, so I'm not venturing too far out, however.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
grubbyjeans

ORIGINAL: motoguy1

ORIGINAL: grubbyjeans

I've been cross-forum quoted! I feel special! Dang...I'm gonna have to put outlet covers on those outlet boxes now...

Nice video, btw. I've been flying my SC with a pair of the keychain cameras, one facing forward, one facing rearward. I like being able to see the tail feathers move in-flight. I'm still using the crappy stock 27mhz system, so I'm not venturing too far out, however.

Ya. I had to do MY OWN cross posting. I used the 5-n-1 camera which was very light. It was blurry because the late afternoon sun was not very bright. Didn't seem to affect balance tho.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
russ_hillis

Just thought I'd share tonights adventure...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz-o9zA5pJc[/youtube]
Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 AM
guapoman2000

Russ,

Nice in-Flight Video! Very wide open spaces you have there!

Your credits at the end of the Video indicates that your power system is stock? Meaning the Brushed 480 in the Gearbox, correct?

Sure sounded like an Outrunner Brushless of some sort when you powered up at the end there....

Carlos
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 AM
russ_hillis

Nope, it's still all stock. I balanced the prop though and that really quieted the plane down.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Glenstr

Out of curiosity, how do you balance the prop?

And has anyone straightened out bent props and used them again? I've straightened a couple I have bent and they seem to spin pretty true, but Ihaven't flown them yet. Ikeep them in reserve, have more on order but they are taking their time, Ialso have a couple of 10X8's, one spare and one that iswith my float kit.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
russ_hillis

Glenstr, a simple prop balancer is only about $8 and it's surprising how much it will help. You sand away material on the heavier side near the root until the prop sits level after you spin it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.