Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Fort Knox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

It was suggested to me in another post that I start a Super Cub (from here on SC) discussion. I forget who suggested it, but thanks for a great idea!! So here we go.

This is a place to discuss the soon to be released SC which I am going to order from Hobby Zone in a few minutes. It won't be released until July, so there won't be much to say for a while but we can still get some talk going.

I am curious what people have heard about it in magazines or other internet sources.

Enough from me, what do ya'll have to say??

Kyle
Old 06-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Fort Knox

Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Did some more research today at the LHS. The SC has the same engine and propeller as the the P-51 and new FW-190 and uses the same propeller. I think that I am going to go with this as my new plane, espescially since my next step up is likely going to be the P-51. I think that I like the potential of this plane. The guy at the Lhs did not know much about the SC cause it has not been released yet, but he said he will have on in stock once it is released and he will go fly one to see if he likes it. Anyways, there must be other Cub fans eagerly awaiting the release of this plane, I know that I sure am!!

Kye
Old 06-10-2006, 08:24 AM
gunracer

i like the size of it...i also like the wing thickness and that it has an actual airfoil...the pz cub has an airfoil but it's shaped from a flat piece of foam...i noticed the auw was in the mid 20 oz area...hopefully the wingloading will be light enough for the 480 brushed motor to give her some decent performance...definitely dig the stock steerable tailwheel and x-port...had to mod my pz cub to have the same features...the only thing i don't like is the color scheme...i'm thinking of just buying the airframe and painting it...also thinking of putting a bl motor in her...
Old 06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Fort Knox

Gunracer, how hard is a brushless conversion?? I really think that I want to buy the SC, but I am not sure if I can wait that long. I may end up buying the J-3 and then the SC down the road. Ultimately I want to graduate to aerobatic warbirds...
Old 06-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Fort Knox

Steerable tail wheel, X-Port, ACT, whats not to like? Big 480 motor....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM
bowbender
My Feedback: (4)

Anyone still interested in the Super Cub? I don't think it's gotten much attention under the Hobbyzone brand. I just picked it up yesterday. The LHS said they just got them in. This is my fifth plane (Aerobird Challenger, Megatech Freedom Flyer, Parkzone Stryker, Parkzone Typhoon, Hobbyzone Super Cub). I was looking for a relaxing change of pace from the Stryker and Typhoon that I could also use to help family and friends try flying RC. So far I must say the Super Cub seems to fit the bill perfectly. The power of the geared 480 is right on and the wing generates a lot of lift. Flight is very smooth and predictable. Being larger than the Hobbyzone Cub/Decath seems to make it pretty stable as well. I've been able to loop, fly inverted briefly, hammerhead stall, etc. (typical maneuvers for 3-channel). The design of the plane is great. There is plenty of room in the radio compartment, the battery box works is on the bottom and works well, and the steerable tail wheel makes ROG takeoffs and landings a breeze. I haven't messed much with the ACT (anti-crash technology) feature much since I don't really need it. I've seen some not so good comments about it in other posts but I can't really say one way or the other yet. Fortunately you can turn it on and off easily from the transmitter at the flip of a switch.

Anybody else try this bird yet? It's marketed for beginners but the power, stability, lift, x-port (drop module and I would presume the night flight module and sonic combat module all work) make it a great plane for anyone to have on hand for relaxing flights or teaching new flyers.

Josh
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
yoster

If they release a plug and play model I'll go for it. I also would like a change of pace from the faster aircrafts that I fly... and I've always wanted that drop module.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Fort Knox

I couldn't wait until the end of july to get a plane. I got the Cub, still haven't flown it, grrr, but I will. I kinda want to get one of the SC's as well.

Kyle
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Foehammer

havent gotten mine yet. i ordered late. i liker the training system though. never could take lessons
Old 08-03-2006, 09:08 AM
bowbender
My Feedback: (4)

I couldn't believe that I just stumbled into it at the LHS. That never happens to me! So far I'm quite impressed with this plane. I agree that a plug and play version would be nice but I doubt we'll see it in the Hobbyzone line. I've never had much trouble with the stock Hobbyzone/Parkzone electronics so I'm happy with it as is.

I hope people don't pass this plane over thinking that it's just for beginners. I look at it as having a very wide audience range from the beginner to the expert who is looking for a change of pace that can accept some mods and so forth. It seems like a very solid airframe that will invite lots of mods and experimentation just as people have done with the Parkzone Cub/Decath. The Super Cub definitely has a size and power advantage over the Cub/Decath right out of the box. For starters I'll be digging out the old drop module that I used with my Aerobird Challenger. Now let's see...where can I get some parachute men? Looks like it's time for a trip to the Dollar Store! Fortunately my wife has been suppotive of my RC flying addiction. She probably recognizes that it's a lot cheaper and safer than me learning to fly full-scale!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM
EBasil

ORIGINAL: bowbender

I The Super Cub definitely has a size and power advantage over the Cub/Decath right out of the box.
Well, I knew it was bigger, but that's great to hear about the power-to-weight/performance! My Dad & I are having a lot of fun with a Super Dec we put a new prop and motor onto. We think the SuperCub is our next plane...soon as it hits the LHS.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
STO

I was finally able to maiden my SC this morning. Conditions were ideal i.e. no wind and no rain and cloudy so no glaring sun. Everything fits nicely especially the wing. It's a real nice looking bird all put together.

I placed the battery and connected her up. Tried the controls and the factory settings were quite good. The elevator needed a few clicks of down and she was fine. I must say the servos and control surfaces are really very good with this plane. Much better than the PZ Cub. After a range check, heart pounding, I got out to the middle of the field, pushed full on throttle and gave it a good firm toss. The manual states that the plane does not require elevator input to climb and it's right. The plane made a nice steady climb without any elevator inputs. Just a bit of rudder to keep it straight. Very responsive in the air and that 480 motor has plenty of power. At half throttle she slows down a fair bit and I did have to give it a bit more "gas" to climb back up. I did not turn ACT one even once (really don't need it). She turns nicely and is really a nice steady flyer. The weather started to turn and I had to make a lunch date with my wife so after about five minutes I eased her down for a perfect landing. Overall I'm quite happy with this plane. Look forward to adding the drop feature and some mods i.e. brushless set up down the road.

Tomorrow morning looks like a promising flight experience so hopefully I'll be able to really try her out.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Foehammer

i envy u. i cant wait to see the vidios made with this plane. i intend to send one as soon as i can make it

im a noob though so this ought to be interesting
Old 08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
BackyardFlyer

Im looking at this plane for my first. Ive done alot of reaserch and looking from its preformance so it looks great. I was just wondering, can you take out the receiver and servos and put it in other 3-channel planes?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
STO

Backyard: as will all HZ and PZ planes on 27 mgz frequency the stock radio gear is not really meant to be put into other planes although I suppose you could put it into another HZ or PZ plane but why would you want to?

If you are looking for a plane that you can install your radio gear and use in other planes down the road then you should consider ARFS such as the GWS line. Having said that, for the $$ you would be hard pressed to beat the SC. It would not be difficult to swap out the stock gear and put in your own brushless set up. It wouldn't be all that difficult to make this into a 4 channel plane either.

Bottom line...for less than $200 you get all that you need to get this bird in the air and it's a treat to fly, so far anyway. Then, as your skill gets better you can upgrade no sweat.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Foehammer

yea, i have a three channel radio set that i took out of a plane i crashed. i thought about just buying an arf set and installing it myself, but its all a matter of exsperience lvl. if ur good a building things then go for it. im not so the SC fits the part. maby later on ill use the radio set. it is a four channel just with three servos.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Foehammer

STO, how much does it cost to go to a brushless setup. and what would i have to do in instalation.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Capt. Yossarian

Hello everyone, my name is David and I'm an RCplaneaholic. (Hello David! *clap clap clap clap*) Thankyou, I recently got back into this hobby after a 6 year break. I wetted my apetite with the PZ Stryker. It had the performance and durability I was looking for in a re-entry plane. (And shooting my brother down with the combat module is a blast)

The Piper Cub is one of my absolute favorite planes and after stumbling onto this thread, my fate was sealed. RTF electric with a 48" wing span, just begging for some ailerons and it will ROG!? Are you kidding me?! I'm just counting the minutes until the LHS opens and I can go get this baby!

Hmmm...Might as well pick up some GWS floats while I'm at it.

I'll drop my two cents after I maiden later today, though I have no doubt this plane flys as good as it looks.

Foehammer, I've looked into going brushless and Lipo. I'm just going for a ballpark figure here, but for a brushless motor with about the same thrust to weight ratio of the brushed 480 stock motor is going to be about 40-80 dollars depending on make. Not sure if you need a new ESC when you go Brushless but I do know that only certain ESC's can handle Lipo's. I really have no idea what's a good brand, though I hear Mega mentioned a lot. It also seems like a lot of people go Lipo at the same time as the brushless upgrade. Maybe the brushless motors draw more amps? I probably just muddied the water there, sorry, I could use some clarification I guess too.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
STO

There are lots of considerations so this is not an easy question to answer as I have yet to go brushless but to give you an idea ...

E flite Park 480 BL outrunner brushless $69.99

E flite ESC 20A $41.99

Hitec micro HS 55 13.99 ea x 2 = $28

Hitec electron rec 6 ch $54.99

total (not including radio tx and crystal) $195....

Battery you could use the stock Nimh to save $$ otherise tack on another $50 for a an E Flite 1200 3 cell lipo

Not cheap but if you plan on doing some serious flying it's not a bad way to go to get away from brushed motors. Even at $10.00 a pop if you fly a lot you'll be changing them fairly regularly and that will add up....

I'm sure there are lots of options for cheaper brushless upgrades but remember you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM
STO

Foehammer assuming you go brushless outrunner which means no gearbox and a direct drive, which is what I plan on doing, you'd have to use an outrunner motor mount and E Flite has what you need for maybe another $10. The motor then connects to the ESC you'd need to buy as mentioned above and then that into the new receiver. You can't use stock PZ HZ radio gear with brushless set ups. Though someone has come up with a board that will allow you to use the stock gear. It's around $30. On the RC Groups Boards I'll see if I can get the thread....but personally I'd switch out all the stock gear. Put in decent micro servos such as the Hitec 55s or the HS 81s and a good micro receiver. If you don't already have a 72 mhz aircraft radio you will need one of those as well as the coresponding crystal number for your reciever.

As I mentioned, you could easily use the stock battery on an upgraded radio set up. But if you choose to go lipo you'll need to make sure that the pack will fit the battery cage. If you don't have to cut out space to accommodate a new battery all the better so why not go with the stock one....it's really a question of choice, how long you want your flights to last and how much more you are willing to spend and how much tinkering you want to tackle. I find 10 - 15 minutes plenty of time for flights. After that my concentration goes..

Do your research and try the plane stock for a while before diving into Mods and upgrades. Good luck. [8D]
Old 08-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Capt. Yossarian

Personally I don't mind scale performance out of this plane, and the stock gear actually looks like plenty of power judging from the dvd that comes with the plane. The motor is pre-mounted in the fuse, so no water break in unless I want to perform surgery and frankly, I just wanna fly her.

One thing I've been doing with my styker is using larger than recommended battery packs for a cheap and easy power boost. I use the p51 packs( 9cell 1000Mah 10.8v) The ESC and receiver have been fine with it. It's heavier of course, but the extra power compensates. Might have to try an 8 cell perhaps.

Got the kit this morning and it's ready to maiden, probably later today.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
STO

Happy Landings, Capt. I'm sure you will be quite happy with your SC. Have fun and stay out of trees....
Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Foehammer

wow! ok thats a big bigger than i anticipated. thanks for info.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Foehammer

just curious, is the radio transmitter and reciever interchangeable. i have a four channel radio set i ripped off a wattage corsair. would i be able to change radios and add a servo without the weight factor?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:17 PM
patnchris

I just got a SC this morning......Part of an exchange deal on my Firebird Freedom......It really looks cool and I'd love to fly.......However as a complete newbie, I think I will not fly it until I become proficient and confident flying my Slo-V....I can bust it up quite a bit, put it back together, and bust it up some more....Then, when I'm ready....I can try my hand at crashing the SC.....Until then, it can sit in my hanger and look pretty.....LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.