Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Sinai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Dig Chance. Good luck, and maybe others can add to this...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:19 PM
dannyrsturbo

boooo booooo boo to the cub
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
cjg

I "fly" my SC in the approach at about 1/3 throttle to get a nice descending landing slope into the wind. I have my SC balanced slightly nose heavy, so it settles nicely under 1/3 power down to very close to the ground, sometimes even powered onto the ground at 1/3 throttle and very slight up elevator to settle in a slight flare. With my flying rather than gliding approach too much up elevator will cause it to porpoise, then stall, and land heavy.
Once the wheels touch I cut throttle and let it roll out nicely.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
tele1974

Hey guys check you slofly mini epp... slofly.com. I have been a loyal cub owner and have I am still having flying it. The slofly was my second plane you gotta check out the forum at rcgroups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...82174&page=289
Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Nebukatnizar

ORIGINAL: flyinmoose

You'll like that charger its what I ve got and I have all lipos. I combined it with the Apache SM505 balancer and they are a great combo. I loved my elite 1500 8 cells just sold those to Parky50. If you've got any ?'s I'll try to help you out.
Moose

The weather has been B-E-A-utiful and I ve been stuck inside doing the honey-do list.[&o] Oh well I ll get out there again.
Yea thanks flying moose

and my question is, i bought the 1500 elite with a small male tamiya end...and the 977 has i dont know what kind of end....will they work together....or do i need a converter cable to go from a small female tamiya to a male end for what ever kind of end the 977 has...

and also, what does a lipo balancer do??
Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
eastcoast

heres a video of my 4th time flyin. enjoy

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...bwithloops.flv
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 AM
pap921

Hi all
would the Hobby Zone Super Cub would be good for someone like me , someone who has a simulator, and has practice a bit flying on the sim .
Is the Super Cub a good beginner plane ??
Thanks
Pap
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
victoriacub

the super cub is the perfect beginner plane for everyone! i didn't have sim. time in and didn't crash it.
so, if i can fly it--anyone can!

get it and have fun.

don't worry about all the upgrades every one does---she flys well with the stock outfit. ok, maybe put some bigger wheels on

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Sinai

Thanks for the video, eastcoast! QUADRUPLE LOOPS! YEAH!!!!!

Pap I agree with victoriacub about the plane and the stock set up. Yes. get the plane. And get the optional larger battery (8 cell).

I have the stock set up and because of that, also enjoy the combat modules with friends, and most of all the ARIAL DROP MODULE. This "x-port" aspect of the hobbyzone SC is overlooked because if you upgrade to Brushless or other electronics/servos etc you LOSE THE FUN OF additional x-port modules and have to find a way to piece those options together (night lights, drop modules) more creatively on your own if you still want them. I can drop and land, load and drop again which keeps me practiced up for landings.

How much time do you practice LANDINGS compared to time practicing in the air? Think about it, Landings are CRUCIAL to living to fly another day. That's why SuperCub is a great beginner's plane too. It helps you by working with you and not against you as you learn. And landings seem easier with the SC. Soon, you will be addicted to the Supercub, and also to checking posts here at RCU at 6am to see who else is alive with the same addictions as you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84200.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	652338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75129.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	652339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17498.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	652340  
Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Nebukatnizar

wait can someone tell me exactly what i need to upgrade my wheels.....like the exact product(s) i need..?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
zestril5

I have a realflight g3.5 sim. I also have a Supercub that I haven't had a chance to fly yet. I would like to practice on the sim with a plane that is as close to supercub characteristics as possible. I've tried the Cap 232, Cessna 182, Nexstar and Spacewalker. All changed to have no ailerons and the rudderon the right stick. Is there a better choice? Maybe in one of the upgrade packs?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
flyinmoose

Sinai,
I can get you some more but it might be a few days. I am in the middle of revamping the paint(I had a little crash due to some experimenting with the flaperons) Got em all squared away now, takeoffs are a breeze at 1/3 throttle in about 12-15 feet.[8D] I ll get some newer pictures up as soon as I can, might be sunday/monday because my son is having surgery. Do you just want general pictures or specific pictures of mods? And you are so dead on with the checking posts and others with the addiction.

Nebukatnizar ,
If you have the stock battery connectors (large tamiya's) you will be fine no adapters. I have deans on mine. A balancer goes in line between the battery and charger. It will charge each individual cell to the voltage needed to achieve the packs total voltage. ex: 1cell is 3.7V in a three cell pack the balancer makes sure that all three cells have the same voltage so the packs total is 11.1V. If a lipo pack is out of balance it wears out faster causing one cell never achieve the 3.7V. It also keeps the charger from charging just one cell and causing a fire. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Moose
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
flyinmoose

Can anyone please tell me how to convert my cell phone videos (3GP files) so that I can put them on here or somewhere. I have no idea what program to run to convert these videos. I ve got 3 or 4 I wanna post. Thanks in advance for the help.
Moose
Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Spackles94

Eastcoast,

Nice video! I like the paint job on your SC. Hey, is that a stock cowl that you painted, or is it some sort of upgrade? I'm tired of mine breaking every time!

Now on to everyone else...

How much throw do y'all put for the elevator/rudder? Right now I just have it with both of them set to the second closest to the elevator/rudder, but I didn't know what the best combination might be for the stock setup...

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Spackles94

ORIGINAL: flyinmoose

Can anyone please tell me how to convert my cell phone videos (3GP files) so that I can put them on here or somewhere. I have no idea what program to run to convert these videos. I ve got 3 or 4 I wanna post. Thanks in advance for the help.
Moose
Check out http://www.zs4.net/

OR

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...converter.html .

I've never tried them, but they seem free and OK, I guess...

Once you get that done, you can put it on YouTube, as long as it's a .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, or a .MPG.

Are you on a PC or a Mac? These are for PCs... but I wonder if the Mac (I use OS X) would just do it automatically...

HTH...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
flyinmoose

I'll check em out thanks man!
Moose
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Spackles94

Anytime!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Chancefind

On the question of how much throw on the rudder and elevator....
Mine are set not at the most outer hole on the control horn but the very next one in.
I've been able to do tight loops even on that much and so far I'm not wanting the controls to be any more sensitive. I'm not really wanting to get into major acrobatics, at least not yet anyway if ever, and really enjoy the gracefully smooth looking long turns and relaxing flights at high altitudes with maybe a loop here are there for a little contrast. I really like going for those long smooth landings that can look like a larger plane would do. I think of flying my plane almost like a meditation time in the way some people getaway to go sailing.
The people that watch or come up to me to ask about my plane really make me feel proud I own it. It's such a fine thing to be into and I know you guys understand what I mean.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 PM
eastcoast

thank you Spackles94,for the cowl; i beat the crap out of mine too,so i did the fix up with the sodring iron and then used elec tape and covered the inside and outside it seems to work for me .i might use fiber tape when i get a new one.and i still have mine set in the outmost hole like they tell you in the cd.

cheers mike

heres a newer version of the movie i shot a bunch that day so i made a new one with movie maker

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...vie_0002-1.flv
Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Chancefind

Flyer Mike and Camera girl Kerri-
Enjoyed the movie. Great Job.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Spackles94

Thanks! I think I'll set mine to that, too. The ones on the far out don't really give it that much throw in the first place... but I know what you mean about not wanting to get too acrobatic with it.

Hey, are you still flying at the Hoover Met?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Spackles94

Eastcoast,

Cool idea about the cowl. I've beat mine badly, too, so I'm going to find a way to fix it. I've already soldered it, but it still looks a bit clumsy.

Man, I hope they fix that cowl design/material problem soon... it's awful! I'd buy a foam one or an aftermarket one in a heartbeat if they offered it...
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Nebukatnizar

wait what wheels does everyone use?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM
L8again

Hey Eastcoast! Nice flying, and good camera work. I have to go tomorrow evening or Sat, an hours drive, to pick up one..or more cowls, some spare props, and order in a fuse. Mines still useable, but has seen its' share of bumps. Hoping as the flights get better, won't have to worry about banging it up. Maybe if this little wonder "takes off" up here in eastern Canada.., we could in theory, fly from here Dartmouth to Mt. Pearl! Good luck..plane looks great!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 PM
eastcoast

here are some ideas hope it helps

http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1170126972

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.