Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 471 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Had my first flight today and it's a 5 thumbs up! Someone mentioned this earlier, but to repeat, this is a great trainer as well as something the more experienced pilot would enjoy. (I sound like a sales rep )

Against my better judgement, I headed for the local highschool with a turf football field. It's not as wide open as the soccer fields I normally fly at but it had the turf field with convenient hash marks for measuring take off distances and such. I thought for sure I'd be fighting her in the gusty winds, but she took the gusts like a champ. Little bobbing here and there, but she tracked straight and responded like I needed her to in the high winds. WOT fly-bys are quick enough to keep even a veteran pilot interested.

Like any taildragger, it's easy to ground loop on take off roll if you don't pay attention to your rudder inputs, but after a few taxi tests, I was ready to let her go. Scale take off's look great and are a blast. Just half throttle for about ten yards or so, then slowly to full power and it takes to the air with ease. Plenty of power with stock gear and you get the feeling you could easily throw some weight on her no problem. In fact, this CUb really behaves more like those suped up cubs they use for STOL competitions.

Landing is cake. 1/3 throttle or so to line her up and get into the landing pattern and you can almost hands off land her. Little flare at the end looks great, but not really needed. Coming in dead stick is predictable, just keep those turns nice and loose as she'll slow down nicely without power.
    So a few succesful landings and takeoffs and I was getting cocky. I tried some STOL's. Little right rudder and smoothly up to full power but swiftly and she leaps off the ground like it's out of style. With a slight head wind she was wheels up in about 5 yards!!! This really is a Super Cub.

Slow flight is gentle and forgiving, it really is a hands off flyer, but then again, so is the real Cub. You really can toss this thing under full power and let it climb away without touching the stick( I imagine this is especially true in a no wind condition)

Terrible Idea Aleart!!! So my new stunt is going to be the "Hands Off Hand Toss" I'll go to full throttle and put the transmitter on the ground, then walk away from the TX about 10 yards or so. Give it a good toss into the wind, then turn my back on it and calmy walk back to the TX and take control. Dangerous you say? Irresponsible? Yea I know, I'm not really going to try that, but someone else might, in which case, I want a video!

*FoeHammer* You could easily swap out the stock electronics for your preferred gear, extra weight will be np at all (within reason), in fact, I'm already working on a Float conversion. Hopefully I can make it easy to go from wheels to floats on the field, like the PZ cub. Take STO's advice and enjoy this baby stock for a bit, you WILL enjoy it stock. Of course, the beauty is it should be pretty easy to add ailerons for your four channel when you want a little more authority.

*STO* Thanks bud! You were right, this plane is a wonderful diversion from snappier Stryker, very relaxing flight.

In short, WEEEEEE! I guess my only advice really is follow the instructions on the build, it's actually very easy ( had it ready to fly in about 30 minutes) and if your a beginner, wait for calm winds, no more the 5 mph and you should have all succesful flights. Happy landings!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captain,

Is the receiver/esc the Hobbyzone style electronics board with the servos mounted on it or the Parkzone style receiver/esc with separate five wire plug in servos?

wbfann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Willfann, I didn't really look at that but I'll check this evening and get back to you asap. Maybe someone else knows and can tell you before I can.

"Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Willfann the SC has the same type of electronics set up as the PZ models with a closed case for the rec/esc and plug ins for the servos.

The servos, IMHO, on the SC are superior to the PZ Cub servos as they appear to be more responsive.

Had the SC up yesterday at the field for a couple of flights and the fellas there were quite impressed with it. They all had to take a closer look at it. One guy couldn't believe how much flight time I had with her....a good 15 mins.

This is a winner plane for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys.

STO

I just returned from flying my pz cub this morning. Winds were light and variable today. It is a fun low stress fly for me. Several weeks ago I crashed a pz fw-190 due to a bad battery. I had purchased the battery used on eBay, so I may not do that again. I have another fw-190 on a different frequency now. I love that airplane. Fun to fly in the park. All of the electronics from the crashed fw-190 still work. I only had five flights on the equipment. I thought I would take everything out of the crashed fw-190 and put it into a hz super cub. From what you have said it sounds like that will work. I think they use the same engine, the fw and the super cup, so the esc would be a non-issue. If that all works, I could save a few bucks. All I need to do is buy the parts for the airframe. I am really excited about the super cub. It looks like a fun airplane for all rc skill levels.

Do you know if the servos in the super cub are the same servos as the Typhoon? I am thinking about the Hitec 81 servos for my Typhoon. I am currently installing the Spectrum DX6 radio in my Typhoon. I am not sure that their S75 servos are the way to go. They are smaller and I am not sure how to fix them in the Typhoon so they are not loose.

Best Regards, willfann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yo

my plane finnally got sent! not here yet but it wont be long
    can i make a video from a traditional video camra or do i have to have a digital one
    hope to post a video soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

willfann, the Super Cub servos are the Hobbyzone/Parkzone 3 wire servos. The servos in the Typhoon are Parkzone servos with the more standard 5 wire configuration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bowbender,

Thanks. I should have been able to figure that out given my familiarity with pz and hz products. Another one of those duh! moments.

willfann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm an instructor at my flying club and I also enjoy rc nitro boating. I'm looking for an electric float plane that I can have fun with at the local pond. Just running my nitro boat gets boring after one hour. I was almost ready to get the GWS Beaver with floats. I then started to look at the PZ cub, but I read that the stock engine is under powered for float flying. This SC looks amazing! Have you been able to do the float conversion. What floats should I use?

Thanks
    A discovery is said to be an accident meeting a prepared mind

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm convinced the SC has plenty of stock power for the water, but I'm having issues just building the floats, so no, no conversion just yet. I bought the GWS floats for like 12 bucks and they look to be exactly the right size. If anyone beats me to the float conversion, please post your thoughts.

"Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bowbender,

I believe you have it backwards. The HB Super Cub have the 5 wire servos, and the Typhoon includes the more traditional hobby 3 wire servos...Is that what you meant?

chief

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chief you are correct. The SC uses 5 wire servos. The Fw uses the same set up I believe or at least the Mustang certainly does. In fact the SC uses the same motor, prop and gear assembly as the PZ Mustang.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

STO,

Do you know if the pz mustang and pz fw-190 utilize the same motor, gear and prop? I have all the electrics from an old crashed fw-190. If they are the same as the mustang, obviously I could buy just the SC airframe and install the electronics from the fw-190. Short of calling hz techs, do you think that will work?

willfann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just purchased the plane and floats from greathobbies.com. They are one of the cheapest online stores in Canada, and I don't end up paying the 8% prov tax. I got the eflite 25's EFLA500.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._Float_Set.pdf
    Way too much money for floats though. I like the idea of having those float rudders. These fiberglass floats must weigh more than the GWS floats. I can't find their weight anywhere. They must be stronger also. It's going to be strange flying without ailerons. I will post the conversion steps and the flying habbits once I'm done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

willfann,

Assuming anyone still trusts me after that servo wire count incident [8D], I think you would be able to use the fw-190 parts in the SC. Both have the 480 motor and I think the prop is the same because both planes are listed with it on the PZ/HZ replacement parts pages. I think the only difference in the power system is that the SC uses a 7-cell battery and the fw-190 & mustang use the 9-cell. Using the 9-cell in the SC has crossed my mind but so far I can't bring myself to cut the plastic battery box to allow for the bigger battery! It works well in my Stryker (with the Lithium prop) so I'd assume the same would be true for the SC. The optional 8-cell will fit without modification but the 9-cell is too long.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bowbender,

There are those that have and those that will. I knew what you meant when you wrote your post regarding the pz and hz servos. I am in the process of moving and my mustang is packed. When I unpack it sometime next week I will be able to see what is what on the engine, gears and props. I did some research last night on various web sites, but primarily hobbyzone.com. It looks to me that the fw-190 and mustang are the same engine, shaft, prop and gears with the exception that the fw-190 may not use the mustang and super cub firewall. Also, the pz servos are used in the super cub.

willfann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went to my LHS and looked at the Eflite 25 size floats with the SC, and they are way to big, heavy and expensive. I'm ordering a set of the GWS floats instead for 1/5 of the price. I called HH Support about the optional PZ 8-cell 9.6V 900mAh Ni-MH Battery, and asked them whether or not it can be charged with one of the two chargers included. Two chargers are included to give pilots two options for charging their Ni-MH battery packs - a 3-hr AC delta peak wall charger (HBZ7130) and a 1.2A variable rate DC peak charger (HBZ1026)

The online manual says:
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...ualCropped.pdf

1) DC peak charger for car
    The DC peak charger has an adjustable rate from 300mah to 1.2a
    Peak charges 4-7cell NiCd or NiMh packs
    Select the rate of 1.2a for the stock 8.4v 1000mah battery

2) AC peak charger for wall
    500mah charge rate for 8.4v battery
    400mah charge rate for 9.6v battery
    Charges only 7-8cell NiMh packs

I'm wondering why HH Support would tell me that I needed a charger for the optional PZ 8-cell 9.6V 900mAh Ni-MH Battery, when the manual says that the AC peak charger will charge 7-8cell NiMh packs. From one of the post on this thread, I understand that the SC onboard battery box will not fit a 9-cell pack. Knowing this, what is the best battery I should go with, without doing any upgrades. It might be time for me to purchase a field charger like the Hobbico MKII. I'm looking to get the best flight times and power running floats.

The PZ FW-190 is 3S Li-Po compatible, with just a small change needed to jumper 3 on the ESC. This will change the auto cut-off voltage on the ESC to protect your Li-Po battery from being over-discharged. With the jumper present, cut off is set at approx 5.7v, which works with a 6-9cell NiMh pack. With the jumper absent, cut off is set at approx 8.8v, which works with a 3S LiPo. PZ recommends the 3-cell 11.1V 2100mAh Li-Po (THP21003SPL) on their FW-190

Does the HZ SC have the same ESC as the PZ FW-190? From the descriptions they sound like they both use the Power FET proportional ESC/receiver. If so, it would appear that this mod for LiPo's could be used on the SC. Then the question is, does the HZ SC battery box fit a THP21003SPL battery? What will this extra juice do to the stock 480 motor life?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all, new SC owner here!

I'm a heli guy that decided on the Super Cub for something relaxing to fly during LiPo charges for my helis. Does anyone have any vids of their stock SCs? I've seen a number of vids for modified SCs, but not any stock SCs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone. I stumbled across this thread and decided to throw my 2cents in. Just got this plane yesterday (8-7-06).
    Before putting the plane together i watched the included DVD and was impressed with the instructions and flying video, which made me want to fly the SC in a hurry. Assembly was short, but a little tough using the included china made screwdriver. After assembly i tested all the controls and did the battery rundown stated in the manual. For me it was driving up and down the driveway at 12:00 at night. After the rundown, i hooked up the ac charger for the 2 hour charge. The maiden flight wasn't until the next day The next day i went to my homemade field, hooked up the electronics, and range tested the radio gear. I simply placed the SC on the grass runway and gave her full throttle and off she went. I was suprised at the power the SC has. It was able to ROG in short 1-1 1/2"
    grass. It was very stable in the air, and had power to spare. My flying was done at half throttle. I never used the ACT due to me being nervous that it might interfere with my control of the plane. Landing is a piece of cake, just line up with the runway, and chop the throttle, couldn't be simpler. There are some pros and cons to this plane. The pros-good power, scale looks, long flight times, easy assembly, flies great, and perfect for the rookie flyer! the cons- Sluggish servos, cheap included tool, long recharge time, and really doesn't turn that great. All in allthe plane is better than it is worse. I might be adding my own eguipment to it to make it more powerful and faster turning wise. I recommend this plane to anybody including pro pilots looking for a nice evening flight.
    IF you crash, I say better luck next time! IF I crash, I cry like little sissie!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bookboy22, I'm of the opinnion that E-flights 25 size ARF floats are perfect size. The SC is technically a 25 size plane, at least the 480 sized motor is equivelent to a 25 size glow. I've seen these floats on the J3 Cub 25 plane with a 49.6 inch wing span powered by a 480 motor so I don't see why they won't work on the SC with a 47.75 inch wingspan powered by the same 480 motor. I guess we'll see as I mutilated my GWS floats during the build hahaha. Hope these E-flights will work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Eflite 25's are very nice looking floats, and you just might be able to take off and fly the HZ SC with them, but those floats are made by Eflite specifically for their J-3 Cub 25 ARF, which is a much larger and more powerfull plane. I looked at the HZ SC and the Eflite 25's out of their boxes at my LHS, and the Eflite floats are not to scale with the HZ SC.

Here is the spec's of the Eflite J-3 Cub 25 ARF to the HZ SC

J-3 Cub
    ---------
    WS = 62in
    L = 35.5in
    FW = 1900g

HZ SC
    --------
    WS = 47.7in
    L = 32.5in
    FW = 715g

The GWS floats are 21.1in long, and weigh 130g. The Eflite 25 floats are 28in long, and weigh 796g. That's more than six times the weight of the GWS floats, and they weigh more than the SC fly weight. They will make the SC fly like a pendulum on drugs. They also cost 5 times what the GWS floats go for. If you go to foamfloats.com, you will see that their FLT25 Float Set are 25in long and weigh 113g. There is some confusion about the term '25 size' floats and the length of the floats required. Take the length of your plane and mulitlpy by .75. That gives you a 24.3in float for the SC. The 21.1in GWS floats are on the small side for the SC, but I think that's ok due the low fly weight of the SC. The LHS guy told me to not trim the plastic as much so that the GWS floats will be deeper. He said that the optional 8-cell battery will not charge with the stock chargers, and that if I'm using floats, I should use the optional 8-cell battery for that extra power. I might also try and build my own set of 25in floats, and just use the GWS gear wire. http://www.seminolerc.com/EZ-Float-Design.html

I'm going with the GWS floats for now. There are tons of building tips out there. I'm building a top flite 60 spitfire kit, so how hard can these floats be? I was told by some float fliers that the float step should be at the CG or just a tiny bit back. It's also a good idea to set them up so that the wings are positive 2 degree incidence with the floats. This will help with a neutral stick takeoff once the water surface tension has broke. Please let me know how the SC flys with those Eflite 25's.

480 engine breakin. For your first charge, run the engine at low speed for 2min cycles. Let it cool down, and run it again for 2min. This will improve the engine life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey bookboy, have ya got your super cub yet? And where can I find some of the videos besides the one from horizon hobby?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Capt. Yossarian

Had my first flight today and it's a 5 thumbs up! Someone mentioned this earlier, but to repeat, this is a great trainer as well as something the more experienced pilot would enjoy. (I sound like a sales rep )

Against my better judgement, I headed for the local highschool with a turf football field. It's not as wide open as the soccer fields I normally fly at but it had the turf field with convenient hash marks for measuring take off distances and such. I thought for sure I'd be fighting her in the gusty winds, but she took the gusts like a champ. Little bobbing here and there, but she tracked straight and responded like I needed her to in the high winds. WOT fly-bys are quick enough to keep even a veteran pilot interested.

Like any taildragger, it's easy to ground loop on take off roll if you don't pay attention to your rudder inputs, but after a few taxi tests, I was ready to let her go. Scale take off's look great and are a blast. Just half throttle for about ten yards or so, then slowly to full power and it takes to the air with ease. Plenty of power with stock gear and you get the feeling you could easily throw some weight on her no problem. In fact, this CUb really behaves more like those suped up cubs they use for STOL competitions.

Landing is cake. 1/3 throttle or so to line her up and get into the landing pattern and you can almost hands off land her. Little flare at the end looks great, but not really needed. Coming in dead stick is predictable, just keep those turns nice and loose as she'll slow down nicely without power.
    So a few succesful landings and takeoffs and I was getting cocky. I tried some STOL's. Little right rudder and smoothly up to full power but swiftly and she leaps off the ground like it's out of style. With a slight head wind she was wheels up in about 5 yards!!! This really is a Super Cub.

Slow flight is gentle and forgiving, it really is a hands off flyer, but then again, so is the real Cub. You really can toss this thing under full power and let it climb away without touching the stick( I imagine this is especially true in a no wind condition)

Terrible Idea Aleart!!! So my new stunt is going to be the "Hands Off Hand Toss" I'll go to full throttle and put the transmitter on the ground, then walk away from the TX about 10 yards or so. Give it a good toss into the wind, then turn my back on it and calmy walk back to the TX and take control. Dangerous you say? Irresponsible? Yea I know, I'm not really going to try that, but someone else might, in which case, I want a video!

*FoeHammer* You could easily swap out the stock electronics for your preferred gear, extra weight will be np at all (within reason), in fact, I'm already working on a Float conversion. Hopefully I can make it easy to go from wheels to floats on the field, like the PZ cub. Take STO's advice and enjoy this baby stock for a bit, you WILL enjoy it stock. Of course, the beauty is it should be pretty easy to add ailerons for your four channel when you want a little more authority.

*STO* Thanks bud! You were right, this plane is a wonderful diversion from snappier Stryker, very relaxing flight.

In short, WEEEEEE! I guess my only advice really is follow the instructions on the build, it's actually very easy ( had it ready to fly in about 30 minutes) and if your a beginner, wait for calm winds, no more the 5 mph and you should have all succesful flights. Happy landings!!!!
    Great Report, Capt.! I'm getting anxious! And; so is my buddy that sits next to me! He's the real impatient type!! Ha!! I hope to see ours by early, early next week!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just bought the HZ SC today from my LHS. I have to wait for the optional battery and GWS floats to come in next week. I'm charging the stock battery right now, and will do the engine breakin with that first charge. I don't know of any other videos out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

still havent gotten my sc in the mail. should be ariving today but who listens to shipping track! lol just watched thehorizon hobby video. finally got to see my plane in action. just wish it would GET HERE.

Page 2 of 471 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast