Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

I don't know if I'll ever fly off water but I'll be ready. I got the floats because my local hobby shop said they're better than skies off snow. My club has a winter fun fly coming up in March.
I covered the plane with Coverite 21st Century Microlite. I've never used it before but it went on easier than I thought it would. I wish it were less transparent.
It still looks good though. I'm going to cover the floats with it also. I painted the cowl and rudder with Lusterkote. I don't need fuel proofing but it's what I had on hand and it matched pretty good.
I decided to put Hitec HS-82MG Micro servos on the rudder and elevator. I know it's over kill but again it's what I had and they're closer to the size of the stock Parkzone servos.

I'll post some pictures later.

Bob
Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 AM
S.C.C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys.
If anyone is interested, there is a photo competition for a brushless upgrade.
Come on over and post a pic.
Here is the thread. It is worth a read.

http://supercubclub.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=4424

Cheers

Competition ends Midnight 31st January.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM
phatbob02

Link is dead.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Voodoo101
My Feedback: (1)

Yup, the link is not working.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
S.C.C.

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

Link is dead.

Sorry about that guys.
http://supercubclub.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=4424
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
S.C.C.

Edit: Double post[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
phatbob02

Here's pix of what I have done so far.
I'm going to dress up the float hardware and I'm waiting on custom graphics from callies Graphics.
I had to order a receiver today. All I have left is a few AR7000's and they're over kill.
Gotta make some struts!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81391.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1719898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12896.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1719899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92860.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1719900  
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 AM
phatbob02

CF struts

Name:	Mk24931.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1720932  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
phatbob02

dun

Name:	Qo39202.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1721584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21497.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1721585  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
cjlear

Well, I've been and gone and done it. Just ordered my SC and a few spares from Modelflight in South Australia.

Very much looking forward to getting it!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
809flyer

I recently purchased a super cub as my first plane. I brought it home and put it together but had to wait for better winds here in south Florida. We flew it a few days later and it flew like a dream with a little trimming. Later that week I decided to pick up the air drop module to have a little fun with the kids. So I saw on the DVD that the guy pluged the module on the plane with the battery already installed. So I did that. but the plane lost all functions. No controls at all. I didn't really know what was going on so I took it to the hobby shop and the folks there didn't know what was going on. The guy ended up giving me a new plane which I took home and put together only to have the same thing happen again. It worked fine before the module was installed then lost all controls after the module was installed. I then looked into the instructions and they said to first install the module, then turn on the Rx, then the battery. Did I fry this one too? I tried to rebind and this is what happens. I put the bind plug into the Rx, I plugged the battery then held down the bind button, until the rapidly blinking led slowed down the blinking. So it did slow down but It soppost to stay lit when binded right? Well it's not. It's blinking slow and I have no controls.

So is the Rx fried or is there a fix to this? I'd hate to go back an ask for a second one..
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
agromer

I have been flying for years, but have always had a computer radio. I have a friend that just bought a hobby zone super cub. We set it up, and it has very little ruder throw. I managed to get it down in one piece, but it was not easy. I have moved the clevis all the way in at the rudder and all the way out at the servo. Is this normal, or is something wrong here? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Voodoo101

I don't know that there is anything wrong, but I'd check the push rods for ease of movement and make sure the push rod is not flexing under load, My SCLP is a very old girl but still using the stock servos. I'm not sure what holes my control rods are in, but I can tell you that I fly here with enugh deflection in the rudder that it almost touches the elevator when at full deflection in both directions. With that much movement I've been very happy with the way she flys. Might want just a little less for a rookie but as you know too little rudder is not good either.

I'd take the wing off and plug in the battery (maybe take the prop off, or be very careful) and then move both the rudder and elevator servo to see if they both move the same distance at full stick deflection. Should be easy to tell if the rudder servo is not keeping up.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
agromer

I have had thw wing off. I get about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 inch of deflection out of the rudder. I actualy drilled a new hole in the control horn closer in to get this. The rudder servo is not oving near as much as the elevator. I wonder if this is a servo problem or something in the receiver.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Voodoo101

If it's not a dual rate adjustment, call the guys at Horizon Hobby. They know everything. 1877 504-0233. You can give them a numer at the call back option and they will call you back. Good people down there.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Saburo Sakai

Phatbob, that is one BEAUTIFUL , functional looking SUPER Cub! Ever think about maybe keeping her just for show, for posterity,and getting Cub #2 fixed up similarly to fly?
Sweeet!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

Phatbob, that is one BEAUTIFUL [img][/img], functional looking SUPER Cub! Ever think about maybe keeping her just for show, for posterity, and getting Cub #2 fixed up similarly to fly?
Sweeet!
Maybe if I find another at a swap meet or what not.
This is the 1st year in years that I've been wishing for snow. It's Feb. and it's green here.![:-]
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
cjlear

Got the SC yesterday, assembly went without a hitch. Taped the LE and TE of the wing, painted the propeller tips, ran the motor in for about two hours on 3V. The gearbox was still very noisy, so I pulled it out for a closer look - the plastic gear binds over an area of about 45deg, it is nice and smooth the rest of the circumference. I shaved a little off the diameter of the offending bit, but it looks more like the teeth are wedging in the pinion rather than bottoming out. I loosened the two motor mount screws, pushed the motor as far down as possible and retightened. It only moved a tiny bit, but it made a little difference. I added a tiny bit of grease to the gear and reassembled before running it for another hour at 3V. Less noise and it seems to spin more freely now.

I waited until the kids (18, 15 and 13) were home before doing individual taxi tests (too windy). Instructed them not to move the throttle more than three clicks over idle. First couple of runs went OK, then 15-y-o says "What if I do this?" and pretends to shove the throttle open. Unfortunately the palm of his hand caught the stick and sent it about half way. The plane leaped forward, I hit the throttle back, and the plane rolled into the fence. No damage.

13-y-o did brilliantly, got the hang of using the rudder without moving the throttle setting, ran it up and down the driveway happily.

18-y-o daughter sent it away slowly, turned, came back, sent it away, turned so that it was pointing directly at me and said, "How fast does it go?" before whacking the throttle WFO. It covered the 12 feet to me in about a half second and whacked hard into my legs. Thank the lord she had the presence of mind to cut the throttle before storming off inside.

Again no damage, more due to luck than anything. I should have jumped aside (maybe) but it happened so quickly. And I was so lucky I got hit by the wing and not the prop. Took the boys and the plane inside and showed them some of the pictures in the "Prop bitten" thread. I think they'll be a little more respectful now. Not sure about my daughter.

So anyway, today was too windy for a maiden flight, so benched the plane and ran the battery out for a couple of cycles. First time, just randomly slowing increasing and decreasing speed. Second time, 1min half throttle, 3 mins full throttle, 11 mins half throttle. All the while fiddling with the elevators and rudder to simulate flight. We're looking at a solid 10 minute flight with a controlled landing, and 5 minutes reserve.

Might pull the gearbox out again tomorrow for another fettle if the wind hasn't dropped.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
cjlear

Well the wind had stopped so I went to a local sports ground with my daughter this morning. Everything checked out, there was a slight southerly breeze. Planned to do a couple of touch'n'gos before flying properly.

Went to full power and it just went up. By the time I'd trimmed the rudder to stop it turning it was about 100' and climbing fast. Cut the throttle and flew some circles while I figured out how to get it back down. Right then the wind picked up to a good 15mph. Fantastic timing. The SC was at a couple of hundred feet and I was still circling, but the wind was pushing it away. Tried going to full throttle every time it was pointed in my direction and cutting it when it was pointed away, that just made it porpoise. I dived to get some speed up into the wind, but it turned away. Managed a successful loop! And then it just turned to crap, the wind was getting stronger and took it further and further away. I gave up controlling it when it was just a speck, cut the throttle and watched it sink out of sight.

No sign from the car search, must be in someone's backyard. Will do some flyers (hah!) to put out later.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Voodoo101

Hey, that's too bad. Hopefully you'll hear something from someone when you get the flyers out. Wind and first time flyers rarely get along.

Hope you get it back.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 AM
cjlear

Thanks Voodoo.

http://youtu.be/H104O4goV6Q

Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Saburo Sakai

Cjlear, I felt my stomach drop reading your post-we know the desperate feeling you had, with so little control!
Whether you find your bird or not, you've GOT to get back into the air, pronto! Alone or with one friend, that last sensation of being out of control must be quashed, smashed, with a bold, baby-step flight where you end the day under control of that bird, even if for just a few moments. When everything's checked out and functioning, know that your bird WILL respond to your input. You will REALLY begin to grow, and be a good pilot. Press onward and overcome! You will enjoy this fulfilling experience!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
wizard122

Hi just ordered my SC and want to know whats the best paint to use thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
wizard122

Hi just ordered my SC and want to know whats the best paint to use thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
fishycomics

Long story short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.