Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 AM
WVrailfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

20 mph winds?!, Good job, you can fly them in those conditions, but they are light and generally don't handle well.

It is a great first plane, and I think it is a good plane for more experienced pilots that want something they can just fly to relax and watch it in the air. They are easy to mod, easy to repair and as durable as any foam plane on the market. I have two, one is my very first RC plane, it's three years old and I still fly it, the second has become sort of a test mule, it has the motor upgrade, ailerons, covered with Oracal film and recently, LEDs for night flying. Regardless of what else I am flying, I see me having one of these in my hanger.

Jim

Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

20 MPH was a handfull especially with only 3 channells. But he had just won it and was addiment he was going to fly it. There was a direct crosswing and he was able to bring it into the wind over the runway and just nose down and decrease power untill it set down with no forward ground speed. The plane is small light and easy to handle. Fun to fly and just relax. Your lights look good.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Chucksolo69

I regularly fly mine in 15-16 MPH winds with no issues. At 20 mph, that must have been an interesting ride.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
FirebirdCdr2

In October I was down in the OBX. I took my cub down with me and I got a chance to fly it around. The wind was up down there too and it did a great job dealing with the wind. Super Cubs are Awesome.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 AM
STRAFEDOG

What temp settings on iron for covering the foam ?  I will attempt this using towercote (econkote).  Thanks....
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: STRAFEDOG

What temp settings on iron for covering the foam ? I will attempt this using towercote (econkote). Thanks....
I used coverite microlite 175°-200°F. Just don't set your iron too long in one place.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Whats up every1? Just ordered my SC which is my first plane! Cant wait to get it in the air. Im sure ill be posting in here alot in the months to come considering I know nothing about rc planes yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Summit
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
eghershey1

Enjoy that cub. The Super Cub is probably the best plane to learn to fly on. CA will repair any crash as long as you can find all the pieces. Any part of the cub is readily available. Very forgiving and flys just like a plane with airleons. (well kinda).
Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I really want to get my super cub running again but I had a problem with it a long while ago. I have the o.g. supercub so I would like to replace everything because they never worked in the first place. The motor would cut out at mid throttle and no one could ever find a solution so.. Anyone have any suggestions on some cheap replacements for the motor, esc and batteries?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

If u can wait til xmas ill sell u mine! I plan on getting something alittle faster and agile. Unless I just love the SC and never want to get rid of it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Chucksolo69

I have since given away all my trainers, except my Hobbyzone Super Cub. I really enjoy flying it.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I really want to get my super cub running again but I had a problem with it a long while ago. I have the o.g. supercub so I would like to replace everything because they never worked in the first place. The motor would cut out at mid throttle and no one could ever find a solution so.. Anyone have any suggestions on some cheap replacements for the motor, esc and batteries?
I'm not sure what you mean by "o.g. supercub", but if you're talking about one of the original supercubs with the NiMh batteries and the 5 wire servos and brushed motor, my guess is that the LVC jumper (low voltage cutoff jumper) fell out of the receiver... see post number 11597 in this thread (page 464, back in October 2011) for a discussion of that problem. This link might get you to it quicker.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10769049

With respect to changing out the electronics, if it's the original SC with the one piece receiver/ESC, since the servos are non-standard and the esc for the brushed motor is integrated into the receiver, you pretty much have to do all of the electronics at once. Hobbycity / hobbyking is a good source for cheap electronics... I posted a full list of what worked for me back in 2009 in this thread, post number 9139 on page 366 ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9053626 ), but I clicked on a couple of the links in that thread and some of the products have changed at hobbycity so they don't get you to current products... But the HXT900 servo link ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...?idProduct=662 ) still works and that will get you onto their website, and then you can search out what you're looking for...

I'd recommend:

The 6 channel 2.4 GHz Hobbyking transmitter and receiver
HXT900 servos (4 if you're going to add ailerons)
A turnigy 3536 motor of some kind... about 400ish watts, maybe the 1000KV or the 1250KV one
A Rhino or turnigy 3S LiPo battery - maybe about 2000 MAH
A turnigy plush ESC - 40ish amps (I think they 40 amp ones have the more reliable switchmode BEC compared to the linear BEC's in the lower amperage versions)
A roughly 9x6 propeller (depending upon what KV the motor has, which ESC you get, if you go 2 cell or 3 cell battery, etc.)

The tricky part about putting a brushless motor into the supercub is getting it attached to the firewall. I bought an aluminum motor mount from hobbycity that I made work eventually, and a lot of people cobble one together at home, but I think the easiest option if you're willing to spend a little money (I think it's under $20 for the mount alone, and the site also has kits that include turnigy motors and batteries and ESC's for doing brushless conversions but I think they're more expensive than putting together the individual parts yourself directly from hobbycity...) the following site has some options:

http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...roducts_id=113

or see one of their kits at

http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...roducts_id=118

I don't have a good current list of parts that work for the upgrade because it's been a long time since I put a "Frankencub" together...

Good luck with it!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

I got my SC tues., havent flown it yet due to weather and work but hooked it up just to make sure everything worked properly and noticed the rudder when centered is abit to the right. Even with the trim all the way to the left it still isnt centered. Is there an easy fix to this?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
eghershey1

Yes there is an easy fix and a very necessary fix. Insure both radio and plane are turned on.
First center your trim on your radio for both the elevator and the rudder.
Then adjust the control rod at the point of connection to the elevator or rudder by either lengthening it or shortening it until the elev or rudder is perfectly centered.
Then when you turn on the radio the elev and rudder will be perfectly centered each time.
Once you fly it, it will need further trim to make it fly perfectly smooth and level and straight. Use the trim on the radio to then adjust for fine tuning of the components.
If you see that that adjustment is perfect for you you can then re-adjust those control rods to position the elev and rudder to that position and center the trim on the radio to that new setting on the plane. Most find that a little left rudder and a little up or down on the elevator is normal.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

Thanks, and also the pics and vids ive seen have a long antenna hanging out the back. Are the new ones just shorter and hidden or do I need to unwrap it from inside? Didnt really notice 1 when I was putting it together so didnt think about it til now.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

The older version was 72 mghz and needed the antenna outside the plane. Yours is 2.4 ghz the antenna is fine inside the plane the way it came.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

Ok good bc the antenna hanging out the back looks terrible!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
downunderdog

One additional point that you might check before doing the adjustment described in the post below... you want to make sure that the servo arms are centered on the two servos that are in the body of the plane.... the servo arm should be as close to perpendicular as possible to the control rod when it's at the zero position, so that way you get an equal amount of left and right rudder deflection (or up and down elevator deflection) when you move the servo through it's travel. To make sure the servo arms are installed correctly, you should turn on the TX and power up the airplane and center the rudder and elevator controls, and then have a look at the two servos inside the body of the supercub. The two servo arms should be pointing directly out the sides of the airplane and not forward or aft much (and as perpendicular as possible to the rod that runs to the control surface servo horn) when the servo is at the neutral position (and with no trim applied). If they are pointing too far forward or aft, you can remove the screw that holds them on to the servo (hold on to the servo arm when doing that to prevent applying torque to the servo gears... and possibly damaging them by backdriving them) and then remove the servo arm and shift it a notch or two on the geared output from the servo so it's in the correct position. You may not need to adjust it at all, but it's good to check.

After doing the servo arm centering, you should then do the adjustment of the control rod length as described below to get the flight control surfaces to the neutral position.

ORIGINAL: eghershey1

Yes there is an easy fix and a very necessary fix. Insure both radio and plane are turned on.
First center your trim on your radio for both the elevator and the rudder.
Then adjust the control rod at the point of connection to the elevator or rudder by either lengthening it or shortening it until the elev or rudder is perfectly centered.
Then when you turn on the radio the elev and rudder will be perfectly centered each time.
Once you fly it, it will need further trim to make it fly perfectly smooth and level and straight. Use the trim on the radio to then adjust for fine tuning of the components.
If you see that that adjustment is perfect for you you can then re-adjust those control rods to position the elev and rudder to that position and center the trim on the radio to that new setting on the plane. Most find that a little left rudder and a little up or down on the elevator is normal.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Thanks alot. I still havent been able to fly it yet due to rain! God its been raining for a week! Hopefully its suposed to clear up tomorrow so if wind isnt to bad Ill be taking it up for my first flight!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
rlski

This may sound harsh but the weather gods may be doing you a favor. Reading some of you earlier posts it sounds like you are just starting out. Been there, done that. As a fellow RC pilot I can not keep quiet when there may be a problem. Yes the Super Cub is a great plane. However, I would not call it a trainer. At our club we fly the Champ and Easy Star as our trainers. Which leads me to ask, do you belong to a club? If not, do you have a buddy that can help. Also, are you flying off a field or are you going to hand launch the plane. Trying to hand launch a plane while holding the transmitter takes some practice. Having a second experienced pilot is really helpful when trimming out a plane. Finally are you a member of the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). The are a great resource, not to mention the need for insurance. I hope I have not rained on your parade and wish you well.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
eghershey1

Of course its all personal preferences but:  The Super Cub just flys like an airplane.  It banks left and right with as much ease as a plane with ailerons. 
It takes off with ease, lands so easy and will handle a bit of wind without any bad habits.  Don't get me wrong, the Easy Star is also an easy plane to fly and one of my favorites, but unless your really experienced, you have to hand launch.  (It is fun to take off on its belly too).
The Champ?  Are you speaking of the mini Champ????  Like the mini J3 Cub??  If so, I wouldn't even consider that a trainer.  Perhaps there is a larger Champ? 
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

No I dont belong to any clubs or have any1 to help. Im just gonna wing it. Lol. Thats weird bc I asked around for like a month before I got it and 95% of people say this is the best plane to learn with and it basically flies itself. O well I think Ill be fine, Ive flown some sims in the past and I know this prob has nothing to do with it but Ive flown a few real planes also. Ill find out soon enough. It says winds are supposed to be 20-30 mph tomorrow! Lol dont think Ill learn very well in that. Friday for sure tho.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 AM
rlski

Yes, the Cub is easy to fly. Landings may be another issue. With the prop up front you need to be careful not to break it or crack the plastic cowling. Part of the trick is to have the power off so the blade is not turning. The cowling on my SC has its share of tape. In any event I wish you well. Let us know how it goes.

Rich K
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
pontiac6000le88

I am not trying to start a war here. Please realized that almost all our first plane won't be pretty. This is what i did to my 10 years old son's supercub about a year ago. I just removed the original white plastic firewall, and epoxy a 3 layer plywood on the firewall area, mount a hobby king 480 motor, using 1047 soft prop. Don't worry about the cowl. It just break too easy. so we never have the cowl on after the 480 motor was installed. try to mount the motor point down and to the right. compare/ measure the original stock mount. just trying to get the same angle of the down thrust thing( don't know the exact name for it) 30AMP ESC is what we have. you can still use 1300mah 3s lipo. flight time is about 5-6 minutes.

we also cut the aileron on the wing. so more control on the turn.

for landing gear, this is the best part. get a 2 litre soda bottle, cut it half , throw away the bottle bottom, tape it at the front belly section and that is your landing gear. ( no more wheels) you have to hand launch. Just hold the plane about 25 -30degree pointing up, with right hand straight above your head( assume your throttle is left side). just give it a half throttle, see if plane trying to pull from your hand. then another 1/4 throttle ( so total 3/4 throttle) and just let go ur bird. it will pull off from your hand. no need to really throw the bird out.( stock motor can't do this at all.) PLEASE MAKE SURE MOTOR, prop is tightly attached , do you preflight check list before hand launch.

My goal for this supercub is to get my son learn to use the control sticks while plane is in air. Try to eliminate the repair time and go out fly. I know this bird is not pretty in looking, but it got him flying after a month of beating it up.

when ready for landing, just two to three click above stop throttle ( about 1/8 throttle) let the bird glide in for belly landing. make sure it is as level as possible. bring some extra prop when go flying.

learn to fly is about practice and practice. just make sure you don't lost orientation when in sky. keep making right turns or keep making left turns when u first started. try to practice to turn at almost same spot in the field. and always flying upwind ( meaning the wing is really pushing your plane backwards).

good luck and enjoy the new hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.