Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
twoslick2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Take a pic and let us see your cub.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Chucksolo69

You are right, learning to fly is about practice, but, I completely disagree with you on the landing gear. You learn practically nothing about landing  when you belly land an RC plane. Landing is a technique that is learned when you attempt to land on landing gear. I hope that you took the dihedral out of the wing when you added ailerons. Ailerons and lots of dihedral don't play very well. The HZ Super Cub was my second airplane after the HZ Firebird Stratos. I never belly landed either as I added the LG on the FB Stratos straight off. BTW - I never crashed my Super Cub and I'm not so sure that adding ailerons helps in turning her. My SC (which I still fly) has no issues turning with rudder only on the right stick. Even though my SC is my only 3 channel plane now, I still fly her because of its relaxing flying habits. She is about the easiest plane to land that I have.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

4 hours til my first flight!!!! Hopefully this doesnt happen!!!

http://youtu.be/YKpIJgppOtw

Wow that never gets old. Lmao
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
rlski

Just remember the line is "Build it, Fly it Crash it". The trick is to avoid the last part as long as possible. FYI the really important part is to have the wings level when checking out the center of gravity. If anything a little nose down is much better than nose up. Good luck.

Rich
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Holy $h!t that was great!!!! I was shaking the first flight! Lmao. I hate to say this bc I looovvvveeee my Summit but this was twice as much fun as any truck,car, heli Ive drove or flown before. Man did I underestimate the whole flying towards you thing! That was alittle hard to grasp the first few turns towards me! O and I didnt break anything...thank god! Well guys Im hooked for life! Here is my first flight vid....

http://youtu.be/hrzkDOFcaCQ
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM
downunderdog

Nice - very good for a first flight!

When flying in wind, you should stand at the downwind end of the field and keep the airplane upwind of you all the time - in strong winds if the plane gets too far downwind of you it's easy to get into trouble and have the plane get away from you. Also, try to take off and land directly into the wind - it makes things a lot easier.

Another thing to think about when positioning yourself on the field (doesn't look like it was a problem in your example... or maybe you did it on purpose... but it's something that a lot of people never think about) is to stand at the end/corner of the field where the sun is at your back. That way the plane is never flying by the sun and you can see it better for the entire flight - there's no "blind areas" of the field.

I predict that it won't be long before you're cutting ailerons into those wings!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
rlski

Boy, you did a great job on your first flight! On the flying toward you issue one of our senior members gave me a hint. Think in terms of proping up the low wing to stop a turn. In short it will be wings level as the plane flys toward you. It's also a good to have the wings level on landing, keeps the wings from getting banked up.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Man I never noticed how windy it is here. Took the plane out again today in 15 mph wind and it was no fun! Cant wait for a calm day!!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Zerbstie

Hi,my super cub has started intermittently cutting out(the motor) and also pitches upward at the same time,I don't have act turned on.it only does it for around a second then goes back to normal until it does it again.im flying in my usuall spot so I don't believe it is interference!?.any ideas? Had broken the black wire to the motor,tried soldering it unsuccessfully ,so ran it through the hole on the motor tag and then twitched it together.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM
coupe1942

Darn, I sure wish I had seen the picture posted by Belemnoid of his SC before I just replaced my own firewall. I didn't think about putting in the screws like this until after the firewall had already been afixed to the plane. It sure would have made it easier to pull the motor off for any reason in the future. The stock firewall mounting means that I have to actually remove the firewall to get to those little screws holding the gear box and motor in place. I know this is an older thread, but it hit the nail on target for me. Too late, as I already glued down that firewall. Man, I sure wish I had seen the photo here, first. :-(

Oh, well, if I ever put my spare fuselage together for flight, then perhaps I won't forget doing this one mod in the process...

Last edited by coupe1942; 10-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
coupe1942

Has this thread run it's course or did all the Super Cub owners just pick up and disappear from this site for a while? Sure seems like slow going in new posts for some reason.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupe1942,

I did a terrible thing

I gave away both of my Hobby Zone Super Cubs to a good friend who in turned gave em away to someone that would appreciate them.

I was not flying them any longer.

However, if you have any specific question(s) let me know, I am still receiving E-Main Notifications.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 AM
fleetz

Wow 471 pages of threads on the Super Cub! This is going to be my first fixed wing trainer......can anyone post or PM their DX8 setup?

Regards,

Fleetz
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 AM
coupe1942

I recently replaced my gear box. In my haste, I accidentally dropped out the two little metal bearings before I saw how they both went back into place on the shaft assembly. There are no instructions included in the package for a complete gearbox and pinion set packet and all the parts and screws are loose inside the packet. I was not for sure just how to place the two small bearings onto the gear shaft in the correct order. Unfortunately, I didn't see Belemnoid's photo before I had already glued the firewall plastic into place, so in order to remove the motor screws and shaft to make changes at this point, I have to remove that firewall plastic piece, which is a real pain. Any rate, what is the proper sequence of the parts that go onto the shaft? I found some photos in this very lengthy thread, but they didn't show the metal bearings in the photos. I don't seem to have any flex in the shaft and how I positioned them and the motor and prop work very well on testing. Just wanted to check that placement so that the next time I'll have it correct. Hope that explains my question okay. In the 2nd pic, where do the metal bearings go? Is there one to the outside area of that long piece, just behind the plastic insert spacer, and one to the inside of that long black piece that goes onto the shaft from the inside as the shaft is put into the opening?

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 AM
coupe1942

Here is another photo that shows the essential parts and what I believe is the correct order to put them all on. If I am correct in this photo, I did mine wrong on the plane itself, but it seems to be working how I did it and, like say, I'd have to remove the firewall to unscrew the big assembly and change it out at this point. I don't want to rip out any more foam in doing that, so I'll see how my booboo works.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 AM
guapoman2000

Coupe1942,

Here is my contribution to a more complete post showing you the inners of what to expect when you dissassemble and re-assemble the STOCK Hobby-Zone gearbox for the Super Cub.

All hardware that you see in pictures below are / should be included with Part Number HBZ7129.

Washer goes between the prop hub nut and the plastic force bearing. The Plastic force bearing comes with a new Gearbox assembly!

Here's the sequence of assembly!

All these items come with Part Number HBZ7129
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 AM
guapoman2000

There is a complete INDEX of modeling improvements and HOW-TO items over at this different SITE that may give you more information:

ALL KINDS of ITEMS!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852122
Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
coupe1942

Yes, I have read all the various posts there, but found the answer nowhere as to the correct position of those two metal bearings. I am hoping that my LHS gets in some more packets to view and perhaps one will actually be complete enough in the packet to see where they are really supposed to go. I believe I am correct, as shown in my last posted pic above, but I was just checking. No matter at this time, as I have already locked that firewall into place and the metal gearbox can't be removed to correct it without tearing off the firewall. Like say, nothing seems to work badly as I have it and I'll be doing some flight time to see what results I have with it. The link you show is great, but just like this one, the info gets more and more to wade through. Thanks for the info and pics, as I do appreciate it.

I do question of this thread is still alive or if everyone has moved on to another website? I have found info at Wattsflyer, RCgroups at HobbyKing and SuperCubClub. All are great, but easily overwhelming to a newb with lots to learn and in tracking that one great response that actually addresses your individual needs. Hopefully this thread is not dead though.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
cjlear

Originally Posted by cjlear
Well the wind had stopped so I went to a local sports ground with my daughter this morning. Everything checked out, there was a slight southerly breeze. Planned to do a couple of touch'n'gos before flying properly.

Went to full power and it just went up. By the time I'd trimmed the rudder to stop it turning it was about 100' and climbing fast. Cut the throttle and flew some circles while I figured out how to get it back down. Right then the wind picked up to a good 15mph. Fantastic timing. The SC was at a couple of hundred feet and I was still circling, but the wind was pushing it away. Tried going to full throttle every time it was pointed in my direction and cutting it when it was pointed away, that just made it porpoise. I dived to get some speed up into the wind, but it turned away. Managed a successful loop! And then it just turned to crap, the wind was getting stronger and took it further and further away. I gave up controlling it when it was just a speck, cut the throttle and watched it sink out of sight.

No sign from the car search, must be in someone's backyard. Will do some flyers (hah!) to put out later.

Originally Posted by Voodoo101
Hey, that's too bad. Hopefully you'll hear something from someone when you get the flyers out. Wind and first time flyers rarely get along.

Hope you get it back.

Originally Posted by cjlear
Thanks Voodoo.

Â*http://youtu.be/H104O4goV6Q
Originally Posted by Saburo Sakai
Cjlear, I felt my stomach drop reading your post-we know the desperate feeling you had, with so little control!
Whether you find your bird or not, you've GOT to get back into the air, pronto! Alone or with one friend, that last sensation of being out of control must be quashed, smashed, with a bold, baby-step flight where you end the day under control of that bird, even if for just a few moments. When everything's checked out and functioning, know that your bird WILL respond to your input. You will REALLY begin to grow, and be a good pilot. Press onward and overcome! You will enjoy this fulfilling experience!

Well well well, here we are. My family spent Christmas overseas so the rule was "no presents" but my daughter went and got me one anyway. It was a big rectangular box, quite light, and it rattled a bit. I couldn't think what it was and was frankly a bit annoyed that she'd gone and spent money when we'd all agreed not to.

Got back home and she handed me the box. Closed my eyes, ripped off the paper, opened my eyes to find a brand new Super Cub. I had absolutely no idea. Just blew me away (pardon the pun).

So in the next day or two, when the wind drops to NOTHING, I'll be at the local park again... with my name and phone number clearly labelled on the wing and fuselage!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 AM
xlcrlee

And now for something completely different" [Monty Python's Flying Circus] >

If you check frame-by-frame [easiest to see in Delta vid], you can see he's actually steering [within constraints of tether and/or gravity] ... and no just hanging on & "riding".

Lee

Kiki Flies His Delta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBlU9bXz_Pg

Kiki's Flying Carpet [also INVERTED!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezdpoMFtKrQ

Kiki Playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHQbJupRis

Totally Kiki [all of the above 3 videos strung together]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5IwE0SJLII

more info >

As indicated in the YouTube text you can jog the video/s frame-by-frame to inspect Kiki's continual steering input to the gliders. Easiest to see in the Delta vid: for ex., in the un-tethered landing sequences note his body & tail go nearly vertical as he prepares to flare the landing [as I'm saying "Up!"].

Careful observation of the videos shows that he seems to very rapidly use his body position + posture to provide the same control inputs as would an experienced human pilot [within the constraints of the tether and/or gravity]. Some is instinct, some, my teaching, and some just being smart ....!

Further, if you turn up the volume and listen closely you can hear him happily whistle during many of the seemingly crazy/hard parts [like hanging sideways during some of the tethered Carpet starts and in the "wingover/loops" ]. Obviously not crazy for a fun-loving experienced acrobatic/aerobatic bird with wings always at the ready to instantly "save" him if needed.

Frame-by-frame note an interesting avian technique as he makes high-speed/hot landing approaches using his own wings at the beginning of the Kiki Playing vid. He seems to be making extremely rapid micro S-turn glide-slope corrections [all our birds do this macro, easily seen]. It's a kind of very quick tail-waggle yaw "doublet". Stoplet?

Could be just the effect of differential wing-thrust moving the tail, or a conscious effort to raise the tail's Rn. Dunno.

But I do know that besides being a real good guy, Kiki is an excellent flier in the natural bird.way. Sometimes with wingtip feathers only bare millimeters from the walls during 50KPH circular room chases [he allows more space when going more straight-line room-to-room].

L

b.t.w., it was I who created the name AirVenture for my startup toy plane company in Seattloe in the 90's: you can chech Boeing sales records re: millions of adverising specialty planes I made for them
... some samples of which went to a pilot for Evergreen Airlines, which owned the Blue Goose at the time. The rest is history ....

addendum > for total CG changes and control-force calculations:

Kiki: 43g, CG slightly behind his grip w.r.t. natural perch position [on yellow stick]

Delta: 23g, CG halfway up vert. member, in vert. line w/tether point at top of that member

Carpet: 21g, CG over underside cross-member, tether point at perch

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kiki delta 4.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1974363   Click image for larger version

Name:	kiki delta.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	1974366   Click image for larger version

Name:	kiki flying carpet.PNG
Views:	232
Size:	877.0 KB
ID:	1974367  
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2015, 02:11 AM
mta3d

Hello all,

I am trying to revive a Hobbyzone Super Cub and have a couple of questions.

The servos have come loose from the foam body. I bought cynaoacrylate is that any good for gluing them back in? If not, I'll get some epoxy.

I need to remove the receiver and solder a new battery connector (lipo conversion) and in studying the HBZ7152 receiver, I am unsure what some of the wires do. The indicated red and black ones go into the foam body seemingly to nowhere. The grey one looks like an attachment so is probably not relevant. I'm curious to know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	supercub.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	2061009  

Last edited by mta3d; 01-05-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Why not take the opportunity to change out the electronics with a couple of standard 3 wire HS55 servos, and a contemporary radio receiver.

You can used a dab of hot glue or silicone caulk to hold the servos in place.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM
mta3d

Thanks for the suggestions, Max. I'm all for doing it properly and servos sound fine, but a new receiver (and transmitter too?) sounds like it's going to get a bit expensive. Can you suggest a suitable brand/model for the plane so I can start looking into it?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:54 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

I see that they're now running the SC w/ 3wire std servos, and the receivers are std DSM2, so you're OK then. Just use a dab of hot glue to mount the servo.
I suggest that you apply a piece of tape to the side of the servo then apply the hot glue onto the tape surface. That will make it easier to remove the glue if you ever need to reuse it on something else.
Don't use too much glue. You don't what any excess to squeeze into the shaft/arm area causing a problem.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 AM
fishycomics

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been quite some time I flew my SC. I inspected and ordered a new tail. I was able to work all kinks out. I had my ex/esc cut out at 3/4 throttle. Found out the firewall came loose. So I dusted her off did a test flight, ordered part and still some minor cleaning. I will re maiden her.

Just checking in in and saying thanks guys will go back some pages and catch up on here.

Fish

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.