Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

What would be a good brushless setup for PZ stryker?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What would be a good brushless setup for PZ stryker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
SS2P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a good brushless setup for PZ stryker?

Hey..

I'm planning to put Mega 16/15/4 on there with 6x4 direct drive, Castle creations phoenix 25 ESC, and probably stock battery.

Any thoughts about my setup? I just want to try going even faster than the stock.
Any BETTER setups? Remember... I don't want to go with 120 mph, I just want to go like 80 or something..

Paul
Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: What would be a good brushless setup for PZ stryker?

Paul, the stock pack will not handle it. Spend your money on a 3S lipo or go with a 9 cell pack .
Your set up will be in the 25 amp range. Will get you to 80 mph.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
SS2P

I will get either a 3s lipo or ... would typhoon 3ds stock pack work mega motor? It's a 9 cell 1000 mah pack... i could also go with kokam 3 cell 2000 mah ... I wanna stay on budget.
Any tips on my flight? Would CC-25 work with nimh/lipo.

: glacier girl, I've read the part 4 of stryker...You really seem to know about that stuff lol. How fast did yours go?

Paul
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Gryphon

Some info for you.

MEGA motor 16/25/X series fits the stock motor mount and is the same length as the stock motor, so it fits through both loops. Needs 2-3 seconds sanding per loop with a Dremel.
Instead of the stock motor's 3.3 o.z. weight, they are 3.9; 0.6 O.Z. heavier

the 16/15/x series motors are lighter than stock and most people use them.

the 25 series are little more powerful and efficient at higher amp combinations.

The weight/size of CC 45 Amp ESC is essentially the same as the CC 35 AMP ESC and about the same price. So I would pick the 45 Amp CC Phoenix ESC.

You can get good COMBO prices from dynamoelectrics.com Randy is a good guy.

If you want max Aerobatics go with 15 series MEGA, if max Power output then the 25 series.

TP 2650 battery with some throttle management would be awesome and push you hard past 90 MPH (depending on the battery voltage {3S/4S} and prop sizes).

Have fun
Gryphon
Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Hagar69

SS2P,
Do you have the stock radio only? You say that you are on a budget.
Why not just get a 9 cell NIMH based on IB1200 cells and the Parkzone LiPo propeller, this will make the stock setup go a lot faster.

If you have standard (not Parkzone) radio gear you could go for brushless (or you could get the "PowerZone" from Mr. RC-CAM to be able to use stock radio gear).
Another much cheaper upgrade than the Mega is to use a BP-21 motor or the more bowerful BM 2409-12T. The BP-21 will be fine with an 18 amp ESC or bigger, the 2409-12T need a 30 Amp ESC. Both these setups will run quite well with either the 9 cell NIMH or a 3S LIPO.

Both motors above can be bought as a combo deal with ESC, connectors and a few props for around USD 45,- from various dealers. I have bought several combos from www.aero-nuts.com

You would have to modify the motor mount, but that is quite easy to do.

Hagar
Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 AM
maiden-crash

Hi guys,

Got a question, Can you use the lipo prop with a standard battery?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Gryphon

I don't remember running the lipoly prop with the standard 7 cells.

I know that I have run it on a 8cell 900 Mah Nimh (std. upgrade battery). ON 8 cells the Lipoly prop was superior.

Gryphon
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Hagar69

LiPo prop on 7 cell will not be an improvement. The LiPo prop has lower pitch and lower diameter (5.3 x 3.3), this makes the motor pull less amps when the voltage goes up. This also makes the motor achieve higher rpms compared to stock prop.

Actually static thrust is better with stock prop (6x4) than LiPo prop even when using 9 cell NIMH, but there is a great risk of burning motor and RX using this setup.
Even when using the LiPo prop, the motor will evetually burn, but a new one cost less than USD 10,-

A stock Stryker with 9 cell NIMH or 3S LIPO and the LiPo prop is about as fast as a BP-21 Stryker with 7x6 prop, but vertical performance is not nearly as good as with BP-21.

Important: When getting a new 8 or 9 cell NIMH it really pays to get high quality packs. I have been very happy with IB1200 cells. I also tried some cheap 10 cell packs once, but they were no good. Could not deliver the amps and got toasted after only a few flights.

Hagar
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

SS2P,
See what happens when you ask a question about a Stryker? LOL
Excellent advise abounds, pay attention, Hagar & Gryphon know the bird well.[X(]

Oh and how fast were mine? TOO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Gryphon

The stock Stryker prop is 5.9X3.0 and the lipoly prop is 5.3X3.3.

The 5.9X3.0 does have more thrust, but less speed.

Choose one depending on your needs.

I prefer the APC 6X4 prop ($2.50) which needs a 2.3mm adapter($5)

The APC 6X4 prop can be used with the stock 480 motor at up to 3 cell lipoly. But 6X5.5 will burn the motor in no time, don't do it.
The stock ESC can handle current draw of the APC 6X4 prop easily, more easily than the motor. I do recommend providing additional cooling to the ESC, either let in more air from the top covers and/or open up the side air duct passages with increasing drill sizes and finishing with 1/2".

Depending on the size, you can run 1,2 or 3 small heat sinks on the motor to let it run cooler. There are some small one's that I've seen for Heli use and were sold real cheap at the local store, I run up to 3 on a motor. about 4 grams each, no real weight, so why not.....

Stock motor, 3 cell lipoly, APC 6X4 prop is about 15 Amps, good idea to use some throttle control, I don't so I fly wide open throttle. The motor is real cheap like Hagar69 said. I think I pay too much $11.

I have to go now, hope this helps,

Gryphon

Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
9thLife

my .02....

I just upgraded to brushless with the help of AON electric. Their site is a little outdated, but Scott there is pretty nice and helpful.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
SS2P

Hagar,

Yes, I have my own radio gear but I'm currently using the stock because everything is on stock...
Where to buy BP21 motor?
Btw, I don't know a whole lot about electrics, and I want to ask> Can you use a larger ESC then you need? I mean Can I use like a 20/even bigger amp ESC on BP21?

Ok,

stay cool

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Hagar69

SS2P,
You can always use a higher rated ESC, the only penalty for using an over-rated ESC is added weight. The motor and prop combination decides how many amps will be pulled at a given voltage. The motor has a maximum ampere rating that (usually) can be exceeded without too much problems. The important thing is that your ESC and battery can handle at least as many amps as the maximum the motor will pull with the prop you use. It is generally a good idea to have battery and ESC that can handle 20% more than the motor pulls, this will prolong the life of these components. Also a higher diamter or higher pitch prop makes the same motor draw more amps.

If you want to try the BP-21 it might be a good idea to get a 30 Amp ESC, then you can switch to the 2409-12T motor later.

I suggest this combo: [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_77&products_id=197]BP-21 combo from Aero Nuts[/link]
You could even buy this more powerful motor in addition: [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_46&products_id=204]2409-12T[/link]

The second motor gives incredible speed and thrust with a 7x7 prop, but you need a battery capable of delivering 30 Amps or more, that would be a 15C 2100 mAh LIPO or a 20C 1700 mAh LIPO, this is what I have, and it rocks

Hagar
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
SS2P

Is BP21 an outrunner? lol.... How do you mount that thing?
BTW I could use my electrifly 35 amp ESC right? I wanna get just the BP21, no combos... BP21 Will work with 9 cell.... right?
Hey, I have a computer radio but I don't wanna use there, could I use hitec focus 3 SS ? I have a small (3 chn.) Hitec rx too. Are the stock servos fine for brushless? I had problems with my typhoon's servos.

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 02:03 PM
SS2P

I just tryed my stryker with a 9 cell & the "lipo" prop. quite fast, but I want to enter the "dark side" and get even faster... LOL

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Wastegate

Would this combination be any good on the Stryker as it seems good value for money?

[link=http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=888]Robotbirds[/link]
Old 07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
wildjaych

so the BP-21 motor isnt much faster than stock???? I was about to order this but glad i didnt. Let me know.

Whats the speed you can get with the BM 2409-12T motor with the 7x7 prop mentioned here? whats the biggest prop you can run on the stryker?

I was also looking at running an inrunner but i like the price of BP-21 or BM 2409-12T with 30 amp ESC. but now i dont know.......
what is the best inrunner to go 60-70mph?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
SS2P

nope, BP21 is faster than stock.
I don't really know whats a good inrunner to go with.
I think I'm going with Mega 16/15/4 or the 25 series. I want mad speed.
Right now I'm thinking of 2 setups:

BP21 with 9 cell
35 Amp ESC

or

Mega 16/15/4
6 x 4 prop
35 amp ESC
3 cell 2000 mah (15 C ) pack

I like the first onebecause of the price and second one because my friend has it, and he could show me some tricks there... The only difference he has is that he has a CC 25 ESC.

Which one?[:-]

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM
wildjaych

what about BP-21 with 3s 11.1v lipo? would be better that nimh i think.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:18 PM
SS2P

I know, but that's the point, version 1 is "cheap" and version two is "not staying on budget" lol

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 PM
wo23dodge

If you want I can take some pictures of the mount I made for my BP21,I used the stock mount and all stock radio gear.

ORIGINAL: SS2P

Is BP21 an outrunner? lol.... How do you mount that thing?
BTW I could use my electrifly 35 amp ESC right? I wanna get just the BP21, no combos... BP21 Will work with 9 cell.... right?
Hey, I have a computer radio but I don't wanna use there, could I use hitec focus 3 SS ? I have a small (3 chn.) Hitec rx too. Are the stock servos fine for brushless? I had problems with my typhoon's servos.

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 PM
wo23dodge

I'm going to fly this combo for the first time tomorrow,I'll check back and let you know my impression

I can tell you this,the align 400L seems like it has twice the power when powered up here in the house,I've bought a couple of these used on the forums for $30.

ORIGINAL: wildjaych

what about BP-21 with 3s 11.1v lipo? would be better that nimh i think.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 PM
SS2P

Hey dodge, sounds great!
That's exactly what I need right now... You used stock radio gear too?
Can you tell your setup? rx,tx,motor,ESC,prop etc... + pics, if possible

thanks

Paul
Old 07-08-2006, 01:44 AM
wo23dodge

ORIGINAL: SS2P

Hey dodge, sounds great!
That's exactly what I need right now... You used stock radio gear too?
Can you tell your setup? rx,tx,motor,ESC,prop etc... + pics, if possible

thanks

Paul

Yes,stock radio gear,the fine folks right here on this board pointed me in the right direction,I bought whats called a powerzone board that plugs right in to the stock RX and have a BP21 and an Align 400L that I will be testing tomorrow,as far as a prop,I have no clue what I should be using or even if I have to worry about if it's a pusher prop or not,so for now I have a stock prop from a zagi on it,tomorrow I will post pictures of what I have.

I can tell you this,put a prop on the 400L with it in the motor mount but not mounted on the plane and run it up to speed while holding it and it's scary,much more than the BP21,I think it's going to scream with the 400L and probably be pretty good with the BP21.

Brian
Old 07-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Gryphon

MEGA 16/15/4 that you were thinking about above is a good choice, but I like the 16/25/2 if you are going for max speed mostly with 3 cells and not going more than 4 cells.
It is a 2650 KV, great for a Stryker.
MEGA 16/25/2 can push you to 100 MPH on 3 cells and get you to about 110 on 4S.
Depending on your battery, prop it as high as you can given the specs of the battery and your flying style(throttle position wise). Till you get a big battery run it on APC 5X5 with a little throttle management.
For max speed and power, you need high AMPS/watts; You can ballance the plane with a 3S2P 4200 battery, the motor fits the stock motor mount with a 2 seconds sanding of the inside of the loops by a dremel.

Since the weight and size of Castle Creation 35 Amp and 45 Amp ESCs are close I would go with the 45AMP for another $10+.

You mentioned budget, I know that is an important consideraton. Do you want to think later; I came in $30 under budget but my plane is not as fast as I hoped, or do you want to think; I went $40 over budget, but I will race anyone....JUST BRING IT ON.

How far do you want to go in the DARK SIDE??????

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.