Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Electrafun XP + Lipo = Amazing fun!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Electrafun XP + Lipo = Amazing fun!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:04 AM
bnoblet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrafun XP + Lipo = Amazing fun!

I just tried a 2-cell 1800mah Lipo in my little Electrafun ... it's like a completely different plane!

Even though the lipo is less voltage, it's less than half the weight and this more than makes up for it. The plane can loop and roll much sharper than ever before.

It also lasts forever, I was getting a good 25 mins even while doing constant acrobatics at full throttle.

Strongly recommended for a little more fun!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
clovus

Default RE: Electrafun XP + Lipo = Amazing fun!

What control throws are you using? Did you also change the control throws at the servo end?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:08 AM
maiden-crash

My electrafun is completely trashed! I wanted to put aq lipo in it but I killed it before i got a chance You mentioned rolling the plane, did you do that by adding ailerons?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:11 AM
clovus

Hey PP,

Ive got two spare ones and heaps of bits. PM me with what you need. I'll see what I can do.

Clovus
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 AM
bnoblet

Oops forgot to subscribe to this thread so didn't realise there were replies.

I'm using the inside control horn positions (so widest range of control)

The rolls aren't really like an aileron roll ... I point it into the wind and go full rudder right or left and it now has enough thrust to do a kind of tight loop-roll .. .. hard to explain, I'll try and get some video.

My next project is a brushless motor that I have on the way ...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=6066534432

I'm hoping it will install fairly easily ... I'm curious just how fast this thing will go!

Should have it within a week ... will let you all know how I go (even if it makes the poor old Electrafun spontaneously combust!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 AM
clovus

I almost guarantee the wing will fold on you. I'd strongly suggest tre-inforcing it by taping a longer piece of carbon fibre to it.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 AM
bnoblet

I've folded a wing with the stock motor and never fly with unstrenthened wings anymore!

The carbon rods are more rigid than the strips ... might need two with the brushless

The main problem is that the largest prop that will go on the back is about 6 inches (the stock is about 6.5 inches but that's not a standard prop size). This is a pretty small prop for a brushless motor and might make it run too hot .. I'll have to take it easy at first and maybe add some more ventilation.

I did dream up some crazy idea of making a rear mount that would lift the motor about an inch higher. allowing for a larger prop ... but I suspect this would severely screw with the balance and probably make it impossible to gain altitude. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of aviation design could confirm or deny this?

And before anyone asks why, I like to experiment and if it doesn't work out the new motor and ESC will get used somewhere else
Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 AM
benb1984

i just got a brushless for my extrafun and have put the 470 motor and li po in to my electrafun, havent flown it yet but ill keep u posted, i hope the wind dies tommorow