Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

HELP WANTED - confused over equipment

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

HELP WANTED - confused over equipment

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Venom_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WANTED - confused over equipment

Hey Everyone,

I have been flying R/c Planes for about 3 years now. Even though it has been 3 years, i only get to fly 2 seasons, normally spring and summer. So i am not as experienced as i could be but i want to move on.

I was recently bought the PZ FW-190. Its great to fly and look at as it tears across the sky. I own 3 planes and i am looking to upgrade.
I have looked around the Internet and every plane looks great, but you need your own electric equipment, and i have no idea where to look first for a transmitter and servos, i don't even know what an ESC does.

Can anyone explain to me what an ESC does, and can anyone suggest a cheap-ish transmitter that i could get, that could be used on my next model... i'm looking into the Electric E-Flight P-47.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
yoster

Default RE: HELP WANTED - confused over equipment

Pretend the ESC is the "servo" that controls the throttle of your "gas" engine, or in your case, the device that controls the amount of juice going to your motor. In fact, the ESC even plugs into the throttle plug of the receiver.

The ESC does a few other things other than controlling engine speed however. It also uses a voltage cutoff (cuts power to the engine so you still have enough power to glide it down.. control surfaces will still work but the motor will not. I am sure you've seen that with your parkzone plane) which can protect your batteries, especially lipo's. Some also utilize a brake feature, which stops the pop when throttle is brought to 0.. this is especially helpful when using a folding prop.

There are several things different ESC's can do, but the main idea is that they simply tell your motor to go faster when you give it more throttle. You will notice they are rated in amperage, or sometimes wattage. This is simply the measure of how many continuous amps the ESC can safely take when the motor is at full throttle (note that different props can change amp draw). Some ESC's also report a peak or burst amperage rating. Always give yourself a little room here (It's better to have a beefier ESC than a smaller one.. even if you don't need it, it will at least keep the ESC cooler since it isn't working as hard.. this is assuming you aren't concerned with weight). To make it easy on yourself, several companies offer brushless packages that include both the motor and the ESC.

As far as transmitters go, we need to know your pricerange. I personally use a Futaba 6EX-PCM. I like it a lot, paid $169.99. Comes with the transmitter, receiver, 4 servos, receiver battery and transmitter batter, and charger. Note that I got it with standard servos and receiver. It is also available with micro servos and a micro receiver.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
lshadow2005
My Feedback: (5)

Alex,
The ESC is an (Electric Speed Control), It connects to your Battery and to the motor throttle channel on the receiver ( usually chan 3 ) it also supplies the voltage to run the servos
There are 2 types of ESC's (Brushless or Brushed) depending what type of motor (brushless or brushed) ( you CANNOT mix them ) ESC are rated by AMPS and according to the Amps your motor will draw when flying. The ESC can be powered by any type of Battery just be sure to have matching connectors on the ESC and the Battery ( CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT THE BATTERY WIRES WHEN SODERING THE CONNECTORS) or get your local hobby shop or fellow flyier to show you.
Hope this helps
BOb
Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Fliprob17

As for the Transmitter, I also went with the 6 channel Futaba 6EX-PCM, mine came with 3 micro servos and a micro receiver, trans. bat., and reciever bat. and charger for both for $169.99 or $164.99 with a coupon code, and holds a 6 or 8 model memory so it is good to go for future planes. Should be a good choice for the E-flite P-47.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Venom_14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for answering the questions, i now know what most of the components do.

I have a kysoho J-3 cub (same as PZ cub but with 4 channel transmitter) couldn't i just take all the stuff out of that and put it into a different plane, or are there restrictions?

I cant get a pricey transmitter... i am only in my teens with no source of income and Christmas and birthdays are annual but i cant wait until then [] So, the cheaper the better, but know when the price goes down, so does the quality, so I'm stuck... [:@]
Anything just above £100 would be alright. If a little bit more but it comes with receivers and servos is great!

Thanks again

Alex
Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Venom_14

looks like $170 transmitters are the ones people are going for... thats about £150 in the UK, thats alright for me.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Venom_14

Hey Everyone... Again...

I have found some good, (or what i think are good) Tranmitters for decent prices... what do you think?

[link=http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4942]Optic 6 Radio System[/link]

[link=http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=19006]4EX Radio System[/link]

[link=http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=728]RD 6000 Sport Radio system [/link]

if you know any other links please share... thanks

Alex
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
AJ1202

Venom, you can remove the components from 1 plane and put them into another, I have done it quit a few times myself, it becomes a pain after a while if you want to fly both planes though. as to a TX there are many choices out there and not all are expensive, I use a Hitek Flash 5, it can store 5 models in memory and has V-tail mixing capabilities as well as dual rates and switch for retracts,cam etc
I picked it up used for 38.00 and it works as good as any new TX, if your buget is low like mine you have to be willing to look around for good deals. there is a place here at RCU and E-Bay is a good source as well to try to find what you need. There are brand new TX out there for around 50.00
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Fliprob17

For such a small difference like 25-35, why not just go for it and go with the Futaba 6EX-PCM, it will be well worth the extra $$'s. And it gives you plenty of room to go 3-D or add flaps, etc...with 6 channels. Like you said before, you go down in price with random brand names and you lose quality in the gear. I would try and stick to leaving the gear in your existing plane if you plan on flying it as well, it is way too much of a hassel to switch back and forth.

Try this link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUV7**&P=0