Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
SnitGTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Hello all! I am new to RC Airplanes and I'm looking for a radio controller that will be able to handle most if not all of my future needs. I did some research and I've been looking at the Hitec Optic 6. Anyone have any experience with this controller? Is there a better one out there that's in the same ballpark price wise?

Also, I have some basic controller questions too. What is a mixer and what would I use it for? Can you get more then one reciever to work with the same transmitter and what would you need to know to purchase additional recievers if you can?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jay
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Capt. Yossarian

Default RE: Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

I'm not sure how much the optic sells for, but consider a Spektrum DX6-6channel. I think I paid 200US for it. Like the optic, it's digitial and allows for servo mixing plus it uses a completely different frequency range so it won't interefere with other flyers or take any stray signals. It's for my Lancair EP which is half built so I really haven't messed with the DX6 much, but it looks great.

Servo mixing is an advent of the digital age. An example would be mixing the ailerons and rudder, for a beginner pilot perhaps. Basically, you can set the ailerons to also control the rudder for smooth, coordinated turns. You can set the percentage of of throw when you mix too. Another common application would be Elevator to flaps mixing in oppostie directions used to increase the pitch rate of an aircraft(great for beginners or park flyers). Or mix them in the same direction (Elevator up, flaps up) to help prevent tip stalling in high alpha maneuvers, mainly for 3d flyers.

As far as the receivers, you bet you can get more receivers for your radio. Most veteran pilots( I'm not there yet my self) have one, excellent radio that they prefer, then simply throw receivers for that radio in all of their planes. You can even have the same radio and several receivers on different frequencies, though I haven't messed with that much, I think it's as easy as popping out a small chip and replacing it with the frequency you want.

A good radio is a great idea if you plan on pursuing the hobby and I've heard good things about the optic, but obviousy I went for the Spektrum. Hope that helps a bit.

"Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying."
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
SnitGTS

Default RE: Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Thanks Capt. Yossarian! I haven't even had my maiden flight with my Graupner Tipsy and I'm already searching for the "next" plane! After reading many forums, I've decided I want to get a radio that will be capable of doing everything I will ever need for the next 5-10 years or so until I need something even better! Right now I have a Hitec 3 channel radio that came as a package with my Graupner Tipsy and while it's a nice radio, it's only 3 channels. I definately want my next plane to be 4 channel so I can move up to ailerons, and I'm sure as soon as I get good with that I'm going to want planes with retracts, flaps, spoilers, and anything else I can think up.

Thanks for your help!!!

Jay