Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone P51 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 AM
gt89stang393

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P51 problems

Hello everyone, I am new to the rc world, however have much simulator experience my whole life with different aircraft simulators, anyway, I own the Parkzone P-51 and FW-190. The mustang was very underpowered so I went and upgraded to the li-poly battery packs. Now, tonight was my second flight on this set-up with the li-poly battery, and midway through the flight I heard a POP and just a horrible sound, I pulled all power back (the transmitter is horrible, your either all in or half throttle which it doesn't like) and noticed the spinner was gone, luckily I had a lot of speed and was able to land the plane without much drama. Now here is where it gets confusing, upon getting the plane I noticed one blade of the prop was still connected to the shaft which was hanging out of the nose of the aircraft. Looked inside the nose and the gearbox was broken, gear intact. What the heck could have happened here? We are thinking the prop isn't strong enough to handle the extra RPM and torque of the li-poly, but many other people have this same upgrade with no issue. Could the prop have been faulty? This was the 4th flight on the plane, first 2 with standard battery and I refused to fly it like that after the second flight. I also found that the pinion gear started rubbing against the firewall, and looks like there are grooves on the pinion shaft below the gear which makes me think the pinion pulled back and into the firewall. The aircraft is amazing with the li-poly battery, I am going to fix it, but want to know if this is something I can expect more now? Anybody that knows anything about this or knows anyone who had like issues please let me know, I don't want this to happen again and cause a catastrophic failure causing me to lose the plane. Thank you for any help!

Also, would it be possible to upgrade these aircraft to use the Spektrum radio's that have just come out, the 2.4 Ghz ones? My next aircraft is going to be a E-Flite P-47 and I am buying the Spektrum kit for that. Thank you!

Eric Schmehl
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
L0stS0ul

Default RE: Parkzone P51 problems

It's hard to tell exactly what happened here. I take it the prop broke from your description. If you threw a blade on the prop then that is more than enough to destroy the gearbox. I have well over 100 flights on my P-51. I can't even venture to guess how many and I have never broken a prop on this plane. It is possible you just had a bad one. It's possible that just the blade being thrown was enough to cause all of that damage.

Also check this thread out: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30..._1/key_/tm.htm

Yes it is possible to upgrade to the spectrum. If you purchase the spectrum package that comes with the receiver and 2 S-75 servos then all you need to upgrade the plane is a 20 amp brushed speed controller. You can not reuse any of the electronics that come with the p-51. I would recommend the Castle Creations Pixie 20P speed controller. It would work very well in the plane.

link to the 20P
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=619
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
gunracer

if you go with one servo for the ailerons, i would recommend using a bigger servo than the s75...the s75, as with most sub micro servos, is too small for the aileron servo bay and it may not provide the necessary torque...i currently use a dx6 and use a jr sport mc35 servo for the ailerons...
Old 08-14-2006, 06:35 PM
gt89stang393

Thank you for the replies, I will save that information for when the funds are available to upgrade to the spektrum. I have the parts ordered and will hopefully be getting them soon. One question, as far as the pinion gear goes, who would it be rubbing against the firewall? Is the gear supposed to be flush with the pinion shaft? Thank you.

Eric
Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
gunracer

gt,

the pinion gear (the small black one) is mounted on the motor shaft and should not be rubbing against the firewall...the spur gear (the larger white one) is mounted on the prop shaft...on the stock motors, the shaft protrudes past the pinion gear by about 2mm...hope that helps...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 AM
gt89stang393

With the 20P speed controller the highest voltage cutoff is 8.4V, is that safe for the li-poly batteries? I thought that would be really low for a li-poly?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM
gunracer

gt,

you can get a lipo compatible esc for brushed motors...i'd recommend the the 15a gws 480li...it's underrated at 15a...
Old 08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
L0stS0ul

The pixie 20p is safe for lipos