Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Fighterbird to Firebird XL...newbie questions

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Fighterbird to Firebird XL...newbie questions

Old 01-06-2003, 02:24 PM
JPW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighterbird to Firebird XL...newbie questions

My Father and I made a mistake. We are complete newbies and saw the fighterbirds in a hobby shop and were hooked. We bought one each and then two of our friends got two as well. I flew a few times in calm wind with no problems...it was great fun. However, my Father immediately put his in a tree about 70 feet high and there is no way its coming down. The next day I took mine out in windy conditions. I'm not sure if it was specifically a thermal that grabbed it or what. All I know is the wind grabbed and it took it about a mile away and dropped it in the middle of a huge river.

Lessons learned for us

Anyway, I now have two remote controls with no plane. After reading extensively about the different hobbyzone planes I learned that the fighterbird is not a beginner plane and the firebird xl is. I assume I can use the remote control with the firebird xl since the frequencies are the same. What I cannot figure out is the other parts. Does anyone know of a web site where I can order JUST the plane itself? From what I can see I could order the parts and just put one together and it would be less that ordering the whole package again but I am not sure what specific parts I need. Has anyone run into this before?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:46 PM
MAKODS

For less than price of a Firebird replacement you could probably pick up a T-hawk and get a plane with a tail and elevators that can handle some wind. Check out my post.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:40 AM
saturn360

Default Firebird XL

Hi, sorry to hear about your firebird. I have the firebird XL, but am going to sell mine because I'm getting a Tigermoth. I've only flew mine maybe half a dozen times, now I'm hooked. Just to let you know, the firebird (or most other electric park fliers, DON'T LIKE WIND! especially anything over 5MPH.) Some will handle it better than others. I hope your first experience with flying doesn't put you off, just don't fly in windy conditions. It'll pay to wait for lower wind conditions. If your looking for another firebird xl, I have one with low miles, batt, video, etc. Anyway, isn't this forum great! I'm sure you'll get lots of help. Good luck!
Saturn360
Old 01-08-2003, 11:49 PM
pacoson71
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for your loss with both planes. I do believe you can order all of the parts through http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...b=support#tabs

You will need to buy the fuse that matches your frequency, there should be an order form that came with the birds in the box.

Good luck and don't give up
Jon
Old 01-13-2003, 08:23 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear you lost your new planes, but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed them enough to get new ones.

Can anyone tell me what makes a firebird or a firebird XL a good beginner plane and why all the review suggest that the Fighterbird is not good for beginners? Forget about combat, I just want to learn to fly for now with the ability to do combat later.

Certainly not knowing about wind isn't the reason.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:18 PM
tallyho88

Hi AER Jr. I have 2 Fbird XLs...had 3 but lost one out of sight & control in a thermal.I also built one double size out of balsa & Pink foam. It uses a 400 Cobalt motor geared with a 9 by 6 folding prop!!Wingspan about 60 inches. After losing my F bird, I realized the radio range is unsufficient, so I threw out the stock radio & replaced with a Hitec 3 channel with mixing for rudder/elevator control.There are no TRUE servos in the XL...only a motor with lines attached. The THawk comes with 2 servos & an ESC. Both can easily fly in 15 to 20 MPH winds if U shim the trailing edge with a popsicle stick. Hitec radios are about $70 with 2 or 3 servos.

Dr. Gravity.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:41 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

tallyho88

Thanks for your advice. What is an ESC? I have seen that in the posts and don't know what that means.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:19 PM
tallyho88

ESC= Electronic Speed Control. Both XL & THawk have em!!XL throttle control is on Left Xmtr stick....from neutral mid point to full forward.
By replacing ON/OFF switch on THawk, U make FULL use of the built-in ESC....have total throttle control...instead of full on/off.I think the just introduced, newest THawk at about $170 has all the bells & whistles the original lacks....including much better radio control RANGE. Remember the one I lost???
Dr. Gravity