Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Invited to Club Fly In this weekend

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Invited to Club Fly In this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM
patnchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invited to Club Fly In this weekend

I am invited to a club fly in, this weekend......Appears that they're looking for members....(more dues and more people to donate labor) ...The guy I talked to seemed very nice and assured me that a lot of guys in the club fly electrics.....Gave me the website of the club.....I went online to check it out.....Funny.....all the posted pic's, officers, and poster's on their forum, were the same 7-8 guys...Even though they say they have 52 members.....A couplke guys are flying planes that wouldn't fit through my garage door.....59cc engines......Seems like this club is for several people who have planes that should be flown from an airport, and being supported by the rest of the membership, who fly there occasionally.....I'm going to attend....But I'm pretty sure I'm not going to join.....What did the guy say....$79 per year....$50 initiation fee....must be AMA....Electrics are restricted to certain days, and have to attend two consecutive meetings....Money must accompany application....approval is by membership vote, on the following meeting...meetings monthly.....non-refundable.....so this means...even if I wanted to join....and they decide they want me.....I would'nt find out until December......and if they didn't vote me in.....I'd be out $129 plus the money sent to AMA.............I don't even like the way this smells....
Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Invited to Club Fly In this weekend

I belong to several local clubs, and I have had nothing but good experiences. I have never heard of someone not getting voted in to one of these clubs. This rule is usually put in place for those 1 in 100 guys that are real jerks as an "out" for them.

I don't like the fact that electrics are limited. I just don't see any reason for this. At our club you can fly either electric or glow fuel anytime you wish. There is never a conflict. I have found that me flying electrics is a good influence on the old guys. They ask questions and are always interested in them. It is nice to teach them something they don't know, and they are a huge source of knowledge for me when it comes to all kind of flying and building techniques.

I would say keep an open mind. A couple Saturdays a year doing a field pick up is a lot of fun, and a great way to meet new people. You may be surprised at how open these guys may be to a person such as yourself teaching them more about electrics. Once the guys see how much power these bigger elcectrics actually have, and the fact that you don't have to wipe off the slime after you are done, they usually come around.

Adam