Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

PZ P51 and FW190; Who Has Both?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PZ P51 and FW190; Who Has Both?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:22 AM
NitroEddie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PZ P51 and FW190; Who Has Both?

I recently bought a PZ FW-190 and absolutely love it. I originally wanted the P51 but went with the Butcher Bird because of the complaints I have read by P51 owners such as the battery compartment and the tendency for the plane to climb under full throttle even with down elevator applied, etc.

Well, now that I have the Butcher Bird, I really want the P51 to round out the collection. My question is for the people who own BOTH of these birds. Side by side, how do these birds compare?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PZ P51 and FW190; Who Has Both?

the p-51 requires fell up trim on launch. it likes a little headwind 10mph. it does have a pitch up problem but use elevatior to control. I love mine it is more fragile than the 190 but thrown at full throttle in the wind from the front, not the back of the wing makes for carefree launches. i have had mine over a year and she looks fine. I bought another airframe incase. for 90 you get the fuse wing with the moter installed
Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Rube Goldberg

I've got both. Bought the 190 first, was so impressed with the flight I bought the P 51. Managed to get maybe 1 flight with the P 51 using the included NiMh battery. Several "lawn dart" hand launches later I resorted to a Thunder Power 2100 LiPo battery which made the P 51 extremely fast with the stock motor/gearbox setup.

Fast forward 4 months. Both the 190 and the P 51 are on the shelf. The LiPo battery conversion made the P 51 extremely fast.....but with a cost. I've replaced the gearbox twice, and the pinion gear at least 7 times. Expect maybe 4 flights per pinion before it spins loose, and no amount of CA glue/gorilla glue/loctite is going to keep it fastened to the shaft. I've also replaced the receiver/speed control twice. Its faulty again. Runs full throttle for about 10 seconds then shuts off. Just what you DON'T want for a hand launch. And as for the FW 190 using the LiPo, it is no faster than the using the NiMh batteries, just flys longer.

FW 190: Flys well right out of the box for about $185.
P 51: Count on spending $80 for the LiPo battery, $50 for the charger and another $50 for the balancer to make it really "flyable". You've got the superior plane of the two, spend the money on something better.

Just my .02
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
NitroEddie

That's so weird that two planes that share the exact same electronics, etc. behave so differently.

I already have a LiPo charger (my helis run on LiPos), so it's really just a matter of buying the recommended pack for the FW-190 and P51. Thing is, I'm still leary of the P51 because of these "issues".
Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
khalsans
My Feedback: (7)

>I've also replaced the receiver/speed control twice. Its faulty again. Runs full throttle for about 10 seconds then shuts off. Just what you DON'T want for a hand launch.

Is it a low battery voltage cut-off, or FET failure? Does it work again when it has cooled? I'd like to know the failure mechanism on the ESC. Thanks. -NSK
Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

if you launch the mustang from the nose and front into a wind of at least 10 mph with full up trim at WOT never had a problem, now in calm weather we are talking hard to do! it flys great when in the air
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Okinchi

Have both. The FW in the store made me to start again with this hobby 8 week ago or so. No noise, smoke, oil, etc...plus, LIPO's for 10 min or more. Love both. The P51 was my trainer. I crashed it about 6~7 times so far, 3 times haevely!. Repaired each time. Added a lot of foam to repair the fragile plastic structure at the front and around 1 oz glue (epoxy and hot, low temp glue).
Today flew it again, like a new one! I could not believe it. No issues with the motor, gearbox (once exchanged after a crash) or pinion. Bought the Stryker F27C a week ago. Figured it is easier to launch alone because of the great brushless power. And it really is. It is easy to fly, and it glids better than P51 or FW AND you do not need to flly full throttle! You can, but way less is enough. It is more foregiving for landings... in general, because the wingt tips are not. They are very fragile! Worked few times but I did manage to total it after 5 days, I think, because of a slopy reinforcement of the tip of the wing. Luckily all electronics and the LIPO were OK, I used the Spektrum DX receiver in it. Bought a new body for $ 20 and rebuilding it now.
Tomorrow, if no rain and wind I hope to fly the P51 again.
Back to the initial question: P51 is more difficult to launch as the FW for some reason. But, with a few steps, and crafty push with a 20~25 angle, full throttle it works too. It does glid better the the FW,
it might be not relevent for a fighter, but I do land them gliding.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:26 PM
ea01bg

I've owned booth of these planes. I'm still flying the FW-190. The P-51 wingtip stalled to its grave after the 4th flight. I've got to say I was not happy with it. Its a pain in the backside to launch (scarred the crap out of me EVERY time), is underpowered to the point of being bearly flyable with th stock battery,and its airframe is very fragile compaired to the FW-190. Its clear to me that the 190 benifited from the mistakes made on the P-51. The only plus on the P-51 is the Looks! Nothing looks better in the air. I would suggest looking into another kit. I've been looking at the Viper P-51. I also like the look of the E-Flight kit reviewed here. But I would need to do a lot of painting to get the look I want.