Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

*Yay! Aerobird Xtreme rear wheel mod!*

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

*Yay! Aerobird Xtreme rear wheel mod!*

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Ice Fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Yay! Aerobird Xtreme rear wheel mod!*

I thought about it for awhile and finally made this sweet rotating rear landing gear mod for my Aerobird Xtreme. Now, I get much more control while taking off, landing, and taxing.

*this does not affect my maneuverability while controlling the plane in mid-air*

Hope you like it! [8D]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPrXjlSbU6U
or
http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....e=&category=mr

What do you guys think?

*If I get enough requests, I might make a tutorial
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
eyeper

Default RE: *Yay! Aerobird Xtreme rear wheel mod!*

I like the steerabe tail wheel. It looks pretty neat and efficient in the video, but I can't quite see how it was done..... My ABX has a fixed tail wheel which is better than none at all, but can you describe how you made this for yours?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Ice Fun

ORIGINAL: eyeper

I like the steerabe tail wheel. It looks pretty neat and efficient in the video, but I can't quite see how it was done..... My ABX has a fixed tail wheel which is better than none at all, but can you describe how you made this for yours?

Thanks
It is very difficult to explain. The materials you need include,

-paper clip (use small, BEND-ABLE paperclip. Bend it so that the body bends a LITTLE backwards with 2 "Us" in each end)
-ELASTIC nylon thread
-Tail wheel (MUST BE screwed onto REAR screw)
-A LOT of time

If you were to simply slap on a string to the tail, your rudders/elevators will have VERY limited movement. ex. both flaps CANNOT move up. To avoid this, a paper clip and the ELASTIC nylong string will provide room for stretching but also be tight enough the the wheel can turn on the ground. This combination is pretty difficult to match but with some time, the back wheel will be perfect WITHOUT disturbing the flaps.

The general movement of the rear wheel is propeled by the UPPER control horns of the rudders/elevators. Have your servos linked to the hole closest to the flaps (Most sensative). Tie a piece of ELASTIC nylon string into an "O" so that one end is tied to the upper control horn and the other end into the rear hole of the rear wheel (NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO ENCLOSE THE REAR SCREW HOLE OF THE REAR WHEEL WITH A WRENCH). Once you have this on BOTH sides, secure the paper clip using the FRONT screw with the nylon strings running through each end of the paper clip so more "slack" can be made when pulling on the strings. (If you don't understand the last sentence, please just say so and I will elaborate more) Be sure the paper body is bent a LITTLE backwards and WIDE so more elasticity can be achieve. If done correctly, the rear wheel should move accordingly to your rudder input WITHOUT disturbing the up and down elevator.

Hope this helps! Some feedback/video would be nice
Old 09-26-2006, 10:27 AM
eyeper

Thanks for your detailed reply and explanation! I regret right now I am too busy to figure it out or even fly my planes. I will file it and hopefully put it to use when I get some time to fly this winter....
Old 11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
eyeper

I just got an ad for a new version of the Xtreme, it has a tailwheel and AILERONS! - Called the Aerobird Swift..... has anyone flown one of these yet?

Dennis
Santa Rosa, CA
Old 11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
critterhunter

I made a tail wheel for the Extreme at one time. A fixed wheel using just some bent wire wrapped around the plastic tail "V" channel will work fine. However, if you stick the wire into a swivel mount it will allow the wheel to move left/right as needed. Just remember to keep it light because even a little weight all the way out at the end of the boom can make the plane tail heavy and you'll have major flight control problems.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Flyer 1

Or you can get one of the Du-Bro micro steerable tail wheels and fit it on with very little trouble. I've put one on every taildragger I own.
Flyer