Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Build A Bullet Proof Stryker (Brushless Or Stock)

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Build A Bullet Proof Stryker (Brushless Or Stock)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build A Bullet Proof Stryker (Brushless Or Stock)

Iammam - things that go bump in the night? I don't mess around with anything that can cause harm, injury or damage to third party's - Gawd willing!!! For example RX's, I always try and get the best range ones now, having "lost" a plane (54in w/span EZ*), out of range. I use a DX6i set-up now. I never found it but if it had hit someone or something I would be liable. Also servos, find the ones that YOU have faith in, regardless of weight, price or name. Some of the best are no-name ones, bad servos = no control. Speed: we all have control over what speed we do or go for, but I don't fly a 70mph Plane in a busy park or space. The famous Grand prix driver Stirling Moss was asked what was a sensible speed and he replied "49mph for a 50mph corner", words of wisdom. And of course, the bloody weather. I won't fly now in anything where I might loose control or the plane, its just not worth it. I live in a wind tunnel called Glasgow and I can fly once in 3/4 days cos of winds, but I know my planes and other people will survive.
So what you flying, share with us all.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
critterhunter

There is real junk out there in the "cheap" stuff, but there is also some great stuff out there as well that performs as well or better than the brand names at 2 to 5 times the price. There is also some brand name stuff that is junk, or tends to fail a lot at certain weak points. What it comes down to is doing a little research and reading of test threads to sort it all out. A good place for this is the power sources forum on RCGroups for motors and ESCs. The batteries forum is great for that, and the radios forum for servos, etc. A good example would be the HXT900 servo sold by Hobby City. It's not just almost or as good as the HS55 by Hitec, it's even better! And at $4 a servo versus $10 to $20 for the HS55, I'll never buy an the Hitec again. Even here you must watch what you do. Buy the HXT900 from other sources (some times called the SG90), and you'll find it has cheaper parts in it. I confirmed this by first hand experience. The motor is weaker for one thing.

It all comes down to your confidence and what you believe. If you get extra peace of mind and confidence from paying for a respected and established brand name, and feel it's worth the extra cash you have to cough up, then by all means go that route. I'm pretty happy with the cheaper alternatives at a fraction of the price...only because I did my research to make a wise choice. It's sort'a like fishing. Some guys swear by a particular lure and catch plenty of fish with it, while the guy standing right next to him using the same lure can't catch a thing. He doesn't have the proven track record the other guy has, and thus he doesn't have the confidence to trust the lure. I've got friends who swear by BECs and won't trust a plane without them even on only 2 servos. This is because they've blown the BECs on speed controls and lost control of the plane. I've never had that happen so I don't see the need for a BEC unless I'm going 4+ servos with heavy amp draw.

The other factor that comes into my mind is failure rate. Even if I get two or three duds (never had one dud, I don't think) in electronics or batteries, chances are the third or fourth one that works will still have me spending less in total than the brand name equiv.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
iamman711

ORIGINAL: tam popo

So what you flying, share with us all.
Hey there,

I fly all Parkzone for now. Typhoon 2 3D RTF, T-28 Trojan RTF, and now I have the F-27C Stryker RTF but will not fly until I get some landing gear installed.

I'm fiddling with the Stryker now and that Tiger Meet paint that comes with it sort of dusts off and I inhale it and it makes my lower posterior torso hurt. I know that doesnt make any sense but I think its asbestos material. Who knows if its safe? Any doctors here hehe. <-- for amusement purposes only (please ignore unless you'd like to comment about it).

Anyway and back to topic, I want to do all kinds of things to my Stryker and i anticipate that it will take probably a month before I can finish my plane with:

1) steerable nose gear
2) retractable tricycle landing gear
3) battery hatch affixed via magnets
4) rear hatch affixed via screws
5) Carbon fiber tubing to reinforce body
6) set up a flycamone2 camera connected to servo for remote camera adjustment.

I'm trying to figure out where to place all the servos, wires, tubing, etc as there is very little real estate to work with on this plane and I already have a full range receiver (AR6200) inside.

I'm really good with technology and computers, but not so much mechanically. Its gonna take me a while to figure all this stuff out as I am relatively new to RC (long time admirer; fledgling participant). But in the end I'll have one crazy SUPER-STRYKER! Note how I don't plan on doing any electronics upgrades... yet.

Any tips, parts recommendations, comments, anything? I'm all ears![&:]
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
tam popo

Iamaman - I like your ideas for the Stryker but I think you are striving for the improbable/impossible to get all that into the fuse and still make it fly. The plane will have to have at least 5 servos, maybe 6 - 2 for retracts, 1 for nose wheel, 2 for elevons and maybe one for cam (unless its fixed to nose wheel). The idea of the StrykerC is speed, control and ease of assembly. I'm not knocking your ideas in any way, but the constraints are huge. Critt and myself have seen good examples of fixed u/c that fly well, and the cam on a servo is a good idea, one of our pals Maxamus did one of the best Stryker vids ever without the servo help.
Research is half the battle in everything
Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 AM
iamman711

I'm not in a hurry to crash it. I'll just build and maybe add a parachute so when everything is finally done I'll have no way of crashing. Wow I'm proud of myself for thinking of that.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
robertdownes25

I tried setting up a fixed landing gear on my old Styker air frame last summer and it was a disaster. Crumped the landing and punched a hold through the rear housing near where the motor mount starts.
Don't belive the foam can take the impact - or too many - and you have to get the wheel dead straigh or it'll crab on landing and flip.
Like Tam says, this F27 is just not meant for this without massive, MASSIVE, modification, to the point where the finished product would no longer be an F27 - merely a vessel that flies.
Still, I wish you well in your endeavours. Love to see a pic/video posted if you ever get it to slip the 'surly bonds of earth'.
Isn't this weather a bit Tam - no Stryker action for months and barely a chance to fly my new heli - and that does need real calm weather.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
tam popo

Robert - Yearh, weather bad here as well, flying 1 day in 4/5, and even then is windy!!! Crashed my new EZ* cos of the wind, made the wife laugh anyway. Off topic but there's a new plane on the block and he's called.........(drum roll)
Multiplex Fox, a chuck glider (don't laugh!!!) but converted by some guys in Cornwall and Germany to be either a sloper or electric combat. leccy version has a smallb/less (E-Max 2805??), 550 2S, 2 servos for either aileron/elevator or elevator/rudder. It looks like a scaled down EZ* without the motor pod, so the motor will have to go at front. The important bit - its only £8 over here!!! Thats not a typing error, £8. So all in and flying without RX will be £35-£40. It will do at least 60mph and is ideal for combat cos its made from the best foam in the World, Elapor. When I get time and if you'r interested I'll post some vids and pics to amaze you....Byeee.....

Bought a new TX/Rx last week and its the bee's knees - The Spectum DX6i. A steal at £100 Tx and expensive RX, but th range is probably one of the best, Max. It gives you a sense of confidence in the range and no glitches. My tip for today......buy one.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 PM
critterhunter

A friend I fly with started messing with testing the efficiency of various speed controls last night. Very interesting stuff. While cheap doesn't mean poor efficiency, there are some brands to avoid. IE: One unit produces 8 ounces of less thrust! Here's the link to the thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839924
Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 AM
Hagar69

Hi Guys,
Have not been here for a long time, been busy messing with other planes and a helicopter.
But my Stryker is still one of my favorite planes, and it is now more fun than ever thanks to this great motor:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3885]Cheap 1700 kV motor[/link]

With a good quality 3S pack (25C 2100) it pulls over 40 amps using an 8x6 prop. It will leave the 12T back in the dust
And it can also handle 4S if propped down, 6x4 is safe. I have also done 7x5 on 4S, but things starts getting hot then.

A great way to mount this motor on the Stryker is to get rid of the original mount, and glue a stick in it instead.
Then use this stick-mount:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5135]GWS Stick mount[/link]

Picture of my beat up Stryker is hopefully showing up below.

I have also cut off 5 cm (2 inches) of each wingtip on mine, I did it mostly because one wintip was damaged. But this improved the roll rate substantially. And I also believe it reduces drag. My vertical fins are also about 2 inches lower than stock and made of balsa. This too helps improve roll rate.

The above modifications have made the Stryker very agile, it is not longer a beginners plane (if it ever was).

Hagar

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	918198  
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Mr. Mugen

Just read page 12 of dark side and figured it all out....my bad....wrong hood I guess.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM
iamman711

I think I speak for many when I say that: I like quality. But that doesn't mean I am irresponsible with money. Kevin, you can't impose your beliefs on others. Let them be. Fly free and do what makes you happy.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
tam popo

Kevin - you are right in a way, I used to go to the DSide thread where I leant a lot about Strykers, still my fave plane. There will never, ever be a bullet-proof Stryker, all we can do is minimise the damage caused when these birds go down. I'm a believer that bigger chunks of foam are better than small, itsy bitsy pieces, you don't need as many bin liners to carry the plane home!!! We nearly all start by inserting rods etc, using tape, glassing etc, but some of the birds on this thread are salvaged Strykers, resurrected to fly again using the least possible amount of $$£££, rightly or wrongly. We don't skimp on safety, trying to buy the best servos and RX's. They can be as fast as you want to go. My own SonodSatan has no nosecone, cut down and epoxied fins, balsa elevons and a 200W motor with 1700 3S and can scare me shoeless, but when it does crash the damage is minimal. Thats my take on this thread and long may it carry on in some form or other. Thanks......
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Mr. Mugen

wrong thread.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
tam popo

Kevin - I know you from way back and you ARE a good guy, no-one here thought otherwise. Its just that I personally am not into 5S and Mega etc......now that would scare me!!! I turned to the SlowSide, a bit Darth Vader on Prozac, eyes are shot, leg are wonky and my brain hurts, and I can't keep up with anything that goes over 90mph. No, I like my SlowStick and EasyStar. See ya with Grph and the guys....byeee......
Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM
iamman711

ORIGINAL: iamman711

I think I speak for many when I say that: I like quality. But that doesn't mean I am irresponsible with money. Kevin, you can't impose your beliefs on others. Let them be. Fly free and do what makes you happy.
April Fools!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Hagar69

Hi Guys,
Have not been here for a long time, been busy messing with other planes and a helicopter.
But my Stryker is still one of my favorite planes, and it is now more fun than ever thanks to this great motor:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3885]Cheap 1700 kV motor[/link]

With a good quality 3S pack (25C 2100) it pulls over 40 amps using an 8x6 prop. It will leave the 12T back in the dust
And it can also handle 4S if propped down, 6x4 is safe. I have also done 7x5 on 4S, but things starts getting hot then.

A great way to mount this motor on the Stryker is to get rid of the original mount, and glue a stick in it instead.
Then use this stick-mount:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5135]GWS Stick mount[/link]

Picture of my beat up Stryker is hopefully showing up below.

I have also cut off 5 cm (2 inches) of each wingtip on mine, I did it mostly because one wintip was damaged. But this improved the roll rate substantially. And I also believe it reduces drag. My vertical fins are also about 2 inches lower than stock and made of balsa. This too helps improve roll rate.

The above modifications have made the Stryker very agile, it is not longer a beginners plane (if it ever was).

Hagar

Hagar, nice to see you still pop in once in a while. Printed out the specs/remarks about that motor to read later but it looks good from my initial skimming. Appears to handle more watts/amps than the 12T is meant to. I say "meant" because we all know we push this motor a bit higher than it was designed for on the 8x6 prop. By the way, the 12D can handle a more watts than the T version. I read a test thread where the guy was using either a 9x6 or 8x7 prop (somewhere in there above an 8x6) with no problems. That should be a barn burner. My 12T is still strapped to my streamlined Stryker. I've got a Go Brushless triple stator kit that we did a custom magnet job on and will be doing a fast wind that is compromised just a little to give the thing enough torque to push my heavy 27 ounce bird into unlimited V. Remember, the prior Stryker it was built from was all epoxy pre-gorilla glue days for me, so that's why it's that heavy. I've still waiting to some some dopplers of the 12T on various props before I swap it out for my triple stator. I'm expecting air speeds in the 80 to 100+ range. [8D] The winding process and other data will be posted here when I get to it.

Keep popping in. That reminds me...I've got to see if the Darkside thread has hit 100 messages yet. As I said, I plan to migrate back over there when that comes. [sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
critterhunter

Sunday I stripped the stream lined Stryker down for a re-build, mainly just re-covering it and such but reason being that it's time to throw on the GBX triple stator motor kit. We winded it and checked the thrust and amps it was putting out. Pretty impressive but don't have the data in front of me to post right now. Will within the next week or so. For anybody interested in winding a motor (not hard to do) $30 will get you a very efficient, powerful, and versatile motor that can produce some monserous thrust and speed at efficiencys well into the 80's and 90's. We haven't found a motor yet in it's class, kit or "store bought" at any price, that can match it's performance. These motors can come with the magnets already glued in or you can special request them to be loose. We ordered it that way as we are using a different configuration for this wind. The little bugger on a 6x5 prop almost took the weight thrust stand straight off the table. [8D] Amazing performance. More info later...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
reaperofsoulz

Cant wait to see the rebuild on the streaker!!
I haven't posted here in forever but i finally got to maiden my Futaba radio along with the Wing Commander completely non-stock components on Sunday.

Sticking with the cheap but fast theory I have a no name 30ABEC and no name 4000rpm outrunner BL motor

both hooked up to my MG-81 servos..fastest on the market.

I had to dust off my flying skills but everything went good. We took out 6 planes (2 just small micros to mess with while batteries charge) The newest addition to the hanger is an Electristar from Hobbico, very nice plane RTF. MaeBell II my spitfire is still going strong, man how I love high speed low passes with this bird! As for the WC we tested amp draw on 3 different prop setups and at full speed kept getting about 60A, half throttle about 30A (i only have a 30Aesc) I decided to use the APC 7X5 prop, toss it up and then throttle down to a crusing speed knowing the speec control had a temp cutoof if things got hot. Tossed it up with 3 different batteries with success, final landing I was low and not prepared for the throttle to cut so she tumbled. I'd say it flew about stock speed of the StrykerB...the StrykerC i flew was faster than the setup I have now but the best part is now I can try as many configurations as I want (can afford) to get the best performance. Maybe it's time I check out this "darkside" thread now that i've accomplished a bullet-proof stryker and am ready for performance upgrades.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
iamman711

such a beauty. where did you buy the motor mount. or did u fabricate it yourself? kevlar? where do you buy that stuff. it looks great. how does it fly? how much does it weigh? wow.

edit: i hope its not rude, and if you take it as rude then you dont have to answer this.. how much does the body alone with the kevlar reinforcements and carbon fiber, etc cost, not including the price of the $40 Stryker body? Thinking about doing this one day if I have some spare dough lying around and i feel the need to spoil myself.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
reaperofsoulz

thanks, i think she's a beauty too! She flys great, even after battery cutoff or if i just feel like soaring she glides well, even at 30oz. all up wieght. As for cost i'm not really sure it was more work than cost really, the materials (kevlar/carbon fiber/S-glass) is all aviation grade ordered from an aviation supply company in southern california. The strykers no that big maybe a 4'x3' peice of fiberglass covered the whole bottom and then thin strips of kevlar along the wingtips and a piece for the bottom engine mount and about a sq.ft. piece of carbon fiber for the top engine mount. The canopy was made by covering the fuselage area with packing tape and then slowly and constantly "wetting" the CF with the resin until it took the shape of the fuse, trimmed it up and now its strong and super light.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
critterhunter

Printed out the latest messages to read later over a smoke so no responses for now. Just a quick blurb about the Go Brushless custom magnet a 5 turn wind we did for my Stryker. From memory (have the data written down somewhere), I think it's putting out about 36 ounces of thrust at 31 amps on a 6x5.5 prop. I can probably go to a less turn wind and still get great V while increasing top speed, but I want to play with props on this one first. Hasn't flown yet. I've also found a way to slick my streamlined Stryker even further [8D] , and will have updates with pictures on that soon. Haven't been on much lately due to trade school and other things taking up my time.

By the way: While doing various thrust and amp measurements on the motor we also tried a few different fully charged 3 cell lipo packs. I had read in the past that the HXT series of Hobby City lipos hold their voltage under load better than the Loong Max, but that the Loong Max have a more "true" capacity. Interestingly enough, we tested a HXT lipo that was broken in properly and only has maybe 20 or 30 cycles on it versus a Loong Max of the same 20C 2250ma size and found that the Loong Max put out max thrust. Both packs were fully charged and read within .1 volts of each other. The only factor that may have thrown off the results was the HXT pack is roughly 5 or 6 months old while the Loong Max is about a month or two old.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
critterhunter

I've been neglecting this thread as of late but will soon post the completed new Streaker along with the hot triple stator motor stats. I've test flown the bird once and, while the thrust angle was way off, she was a rocket! Here's why I've been absent lately. Yea, not exactly a Stryker, but I am using many of the same build mods for this bird that the Stryker was/is such a great test bed for. The EDF setup for one thing should do well on an F27...

Welp, here's the mostly done body on my Klingon Bird Of Prey. It still needs a bit more sanding but is real close. I had cut a prototype body out a month or so back to give me ideas and that really helped make my final decision for the final body. It's hot wired out of a single piece of really strong EPS. I made my rough cuts using the EDF dimensions as my guide, then sanded to final contour. Used a drill hole cutter for the EDF duct. I think it came out great.

The 3900 k/v inrunner on this 2.58 (2.68?) EDF should suck down about 30 amps and produce somewhere around 21 to 24 ounces of thrust. I have plans to buy a slightly higher k/v outrunner (4000 or 4100 k/v or so) that should max my 3 cell 20C packs out at about 38 amps and produce a good bit more thrust, though the current setup is no slouch. I've also got a 2.5" EDF that produces more thrust than this one that that one might also go into. It has similar amp draw on the 3900 k/v motor but produces 2 or 3 ounces more of thrust.

The nose is detachable via magnets and, after I've destroyed this one, I plan to replace it with some soft sponge like foam that will bounce back. I've found on my Stryker builds that a magnet held nose designed to break away really helps prevent body damage by absorbing monentum and also by deflecting the body from a straight ground hit.

I was going to go with the standard carbon tube in the fuse but this one is pretty thin. As it is I'll just be able to squeeze the 2250ma 3 cell pack into the forward fuse, so I plan to cover the foam in the slender front portion with balsa. It'll go on the top and bottom. That way if I take a nose in landing it should snap cleanly for repair. If I sheeted the sides I'd expect the balsa to break width-wise and thus make things messy. The balsa will also go into the fat EDF portion of the fuse several inches to prevent breakage there. The wing already has two carbon rods in it and is stiff as a board.

The hardest part was figuring out where to put the fins for cosmetic reasons. A single or dual ones on top didn't look good. At the tips of the wings looks best but I've already got the wing tips to where they just touch the ground along with the belly for landings. I plan to strengthen the tips with something to prevent road rash. Either way, I decided mid-wing looked OK and would keep the v-stabs clear of the ground.

The EDF exhaust inside the fuse will be lined with clear notebook protective plastic or some other form of slick material. Covering inside with Ultra-coat would be too hard to do.

I'm planning a few test throws without electronics to determine a good COG location, which I'm figuring should be right around the leading edge of the wing tips. Fuse length is about 33". Wingspan is 3.5 feet. I think this may be one of my best builds yet...If it get's in the air. Just have to attach the disruptors (err...V-Stabs) permanently and throw the elevons back on. Test glide is tonight!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29708.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	976942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10422.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	976943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84249.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	976944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20255.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	976945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60491.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	976946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84648.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	976947  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
iamman711

Streaker... that's a totally unique design lke aliens from outer space. cant wait to see how it looks and flies.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
critterhunter

You mis-read. "Streaker" is the streamlined Stryker you can see a few pages back on here. It's been updated and streamlined even more. The above bird of prey hasn't been named yet.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
critterhunter

As is always the theme for me (Cheap but good), I've got a new charger on order that looks outstanding for $36. LCD screen. Also has numerous other features found only on chargers costing $100 or more. It'll do up to 6 cell lipos (or 2 three cell packs at a time) so it's like getting two chargers at $20 a piece. It also does other cell types and so on. I just ordered one.

http://www.****/hobbycity/store/uh_v...idProduct=7028

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.