Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Lazy Bee ARF

Old 01-18-2003, 03:33 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Bee ARF

Just finished my Clancy Lazy Bee ARF and thought I'd share some comments. No I haven't flown it yet as it's too cold out! BTW, this is my first ARF after building 20+ kits.

Pluses:
Excellent craftmanship, parts fit, overall quality. 18-20 hrs time for completion, Room for std. servos, very light. Includes tires, collars, pushrods, + other "normal" hardware, Above average instructions.

Minuses:
Would not recommend to a beginner unless assistance was provided. Should have included an overall detail view of the plane in the instructions, No barrier between engine bay and inside of fuselage allowing possible entry of glow fuel/oil into fuselage, fuel tank bay too short for recommended 4oz. tank, Poor quality clevises that were not useable, pushrods were cut to length and not useable with my servos, pushrod tubes mounted at same height as servo rails which would not allow pushrods to attach to servos without binding, Blind nut not installed correctly for attaching horizontal stab, Non-standard lazy bee landing gear.

Overall this was a great ARF with most of the minuses being small annoyances and not major problems. Yes, it's a long list but nothing that an average builder could not work around. These did add considerably to the completion time of the plane. I was very suprised by the high build quality, wood selection, fit and finish. I can't wait to fly it and just purchased the Du-Bro skiis to try it out on the snow.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:27 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Default Lazy Bee ARF

Just wondering if you have any pictures of your new bird and if you have a flight report for us?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:58 PM
jgiles-RCU

Default Lazy Bee ARF

I didn't get to fly it over the weekend as the weather would not cooperate. 20-40 mph winds, snow, 15-20 degree temps. The forecast is for a more "seasonal" weekend which should bring the temps back into the high 20's. If the weather's reasonable I'll be out there!

Sorry, no digital pics yet. I'll have to get my film developed and scan in a photo.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:14 PM
jgiles-RCU

Default Lazy Bee ARF

The weather finally cooperated for flying yesterday although the wind was gusting and a little on the high side.

I managed to get the first flight in on Du-bro skis. It was very difficult to take off as the plan kept blowing over onto the wing tips. This was most likely due to the very narrow landing gear and gusting winds. The skis worked great after a few mods to keep them from freely rotating. At idle the plane would actually cruise along at a fast pace on snow similar to wheels on pavement.

Once I broke snow, the plane flew fairly well. Very aerobatic and capable of SLOW flight almost to a standstill into the wind. Definitely overpowered with the .26 4 stroke. Recommended control throws are right on, with dual rates set higher for tight aerobatics.

The only negatives: Very touchy taxiing and flight with the gusty wind conditions and narrow gear. The landing gear bent on very first landing even though it was very smooth and in snow (I couldn't believe it was bent!). It definitely needs a wider stance and some method of shock absorption. I wish it had ailerons.

I think I'll order the wing kit with ailerons and build the wing flat to handle the wind better.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:04 AM
drinksgin

Default Lazy Bee ARF

It sounds like the quality has gone downhill since Clancy sold the planes down the river last year.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:13 PM
jgiles-RCU

Default Lazy Bee ARF

Drinksgin: The build quality of the plane is excellent, materials used were also above average. Sure, there were a few minor annoyances that would not make it a beginners kit, but why did you get the impression that the quality was not good?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:40 AM
cbaker76

Default RE: Lazy Bee ARF

I was wondering if the arf comes with the rudder and elevaders were pre-hinged or do you have to use tape??? thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 10:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Lazy Bee ARF

ORIGINAL: drinksgin

It sounds like the quality has gone downhill since Clancy sold the planes down the river last year.
Considering the excellent review of the kit quality this seems like an odd comment. Can you explain?