Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

How about a picture or two of your CF placement in the wing? Is any CF needed for the tail?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Oregon Craig

Mine was a combo of poor skill AND bad luck.
My poor skills made me do a crappy landing approach from the left, so I went to full throttle to go around and try again (was coming in way too hot).
My bad luck placed a flag pole at the far right end of the field, which I flew just about square into at full throttle.

I am looking forward to the spit. It sounds more like what I wanted, anyway. A little more relaxed and forgiving.

Thanks! Now, let's go USPS. I would love to maiden by Labor day weekend!

Oh, and I know that if someone there would have said "I'll give you 500 bucks cash if you can fly
directly into that 3 inch wide pole down there", I could have tried all day and never hit it on purpose!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71823.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	745090  
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: Crash One

How about a picture or two of your CF placement in the wing? Is any CF needed for the tail?
Sure here are pics of my hangar (garage). I need to make more room..lol

PZ Spitfire: Align 430L BL w/35 amp ESC, DX6 TX/AR6000 rx, TPS Prolite 2100 (soon to be TPS extreme 2070) and CF strip reinforcement on the undersides ( I folded my first Spit after 10= flights/ spinning lawndart at 60+ mph... Terra Firma:1... Modified Spit:0)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97057.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	745092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78825.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	745093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67996.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	745094  
Old 08-19-2007, 12:18 PM
icarus1859

ORIGINAL: AETCBoom4

Icaurus: You mentioned that you are thinking about shelving the align motor for now. How much experience do you have flying low wing aileron planes? With the align motor or any hot setup, you have to think 2 steps ahead of the plane and have instinctive reflexes otherwise it's real easy to lose sight or crash into the ground. I've had situations where my thumbs had to react w/out really thinking about what I was going to do. Not trying to scare you but with this motor you need to be proactive and not reactive especially at WOT.

I'm sure you're right, I have very limited experience of fixed wing models.
I'm not a total novice as I fly helicopters and its generally accepted they are harder to fly so I'm hoping its just a case of getting used to the way it moves in the air compared to my heli's.

Although I take your point, perhaps the speed until I'm used to it will catch me out. I'm going to fly it on the stock motor until I feel confident enough to put the brushless in.
I may even spend another £100 and get a Supercub, put my lipo's in and use that as a trainer just to be sure I don't smash my Spit.

The carbon rod you put in the wings...does it go right through the fuse? Or just in each wing stopping at the fuse?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 PM
AETCBoom4

This was my first RC plane that I flew successfully. I did have alot of experience on G3.5 though. I first flew it stock with a TPS 11.1. It is easy to fly IMHO. What batts are you planning on using? Stock or Lipo

The SC is a good choice, it does not give you aileron experience but will help with orientation and thumb coordination. I got this for my kid and I fly it with a lipo. The SC is good for stress free flying.

Regarding the CF strips. I used a dremel tool to grind a trench for the CF cf strip. The left and right pieces intersect at the dihedral. I then took another small piece, removed some more foam in front of the Cf intersection (towards the nose) and wedged/epoxied it in there. Folded the plastic back over and used clear tape to seal it up. The wing has absolutely no flex in it . It is important to add the center CF section otherwise the wing will flex in the center. I found this out on my second wing. It sounds like alot of work but it actually took me about 30 minutes to do it. Some people do this mod on the top but I decided to do it on the bottom of the wing to keep a clean appearance. I highly recommend this if going BL. And no I did not see the need to Cf the tail. Not gonna stress it that much, it's a warbird not a 3D.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 PM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: N7OR

Mine was a combo of poor skill AND bad luck.
My poor skills made me do a crappy landing approach from the left, so I went to full throttle to go around and try again (was coming in way too hot).
My bad luck placed a flag pole at the far right end of the field, which I flew just about square into at full throttle.

I am looking forward to the spit. It sounds more like what I wanted, anyway. A little more relaxed and forgiving.

Thanks! Now, let's go USPS. I would love to maiden by Labor day weekend!

Oh, and I know that if someone there would have said "I'll give you 500 bucks cash if you can fly
directly into that 3 inch wide pole down there", I could have tried all day and never hit it on purpose!
N7OR:
You mentioned about using the Mustang's radio gear. If so the Stang's aileron servo has a servo reversing cable plugged into the servo which goes to the rx. If I remember right it has a plastic sticker on the cable. I remember something in my builds to unplug that cable and just plug the servo into the RX. The reason is that the Stang servo placement in the wing faces the servo arm up. In the Spitfire it faces down in the wing. When transferring the servo, plug all the radio gear up and do a control check. The info is located in the manual that comes with the ARF kit. Otherwise aileron control could be reversed. This is critical or you will crash again. Left will be right and vice versa. This happened to me when I put my DX6 in and forgot to set it on the tx.

Any questions let me know.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Oregon Craig

Good advice. Thanks. I did NOT know that.
I always check before each flight, but ya never know!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 AM
icarus1859

ORIGINAL: AETCBoom4

This was my first RC plane that I flew successfully. I did have alot of experience on G3.5 though. I first flew it stock with a TPS 11.1. It is easy to fly IMHO. What batts are you planning on using? Stock or Lipo

The SC is a good choice, it does not give you aileron experience but will help with orientation and thumb coordination. I got this for my kid and I fly it with a lipo. The SC is good for stress free flying.

Regarding the CF strips. I used a dremel tool to grind a trench for the CF cf strip. The left and right pieces intersect at the dihedral. I then took another small piece, removed some more foam in front of the Cf intersection (towards the nose) and wedged/epoxied it in there. Folded the plastic back over and used clear tape to seal it up. The wing has absolutely no flex in it . It is important to add the center CF section otherwise the wing will flex in the center. I found this out on my second wing. It sounds like alot of work but it actually took me about 30 minutes to do it. Some people do this mod on the top but I decided to do it on the bottom of the wing to keep a clean appearance. I highly recommend this if going BL. And no I did not see the need to Cf the tail. Not gonna stress it that much, it's a warbird not a 3D.

Hmmmm, maybe won't bother with the SC if its elevator only, without ailerons it won't cope with the wind we get here, I live right on the coast and I need something very manouverable to cope with the winds, especially because I'll be flying on the beach and sand banks. We've got a huge area called 'the sands' where I can fly, its very quiet, usually deserted and altogether easily 3miles square, when the tide is out its even bigger. Only problem is its windy.
I fly on my sim (phoenix, G3.5etc) with 10m/s wind and gusts set in to try and replicate the conditions, its fun with the small electrics because you have to tack into the wind to get anywhere, then you can kill the power and float back round.

Does anyone have Phoenix sim? We could meet online, I'm in a hotel in Dubai right now and could do with some entertainment (the hookers are too expensive ).
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
declank

Why is everyone posting off this ONE thread, when there's a dedicated Spitfire forum?

Its going to making thing very hard to find.

Dec
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Oregon Craig

Well, I for one didn't know about it.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
oscarlovel

Hi:

I'm new to the board here and really new to EP RC. I have been away from RC for ten years now, but just recently purchased a PKZ J-3 and the Spitfire. As a way of getting back in, I also bought the GP Realflight 3.5 Sim. Downloaded the PKZ Spitfire from the Swap Pages of KnifeFlight website. I'm hoping that those of you who have flown the actual plane can tell me that it flies better than the Sim. The sim seems very underpowered. Any comments would be appreciated. BTW, I'm going to our place out in the country in the next few days. 15 Acs. of mowed pasture. I'll try my hand at the J-3 and then the Spit, assuming the winds allow.

Clint Lovell
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: oscarlovel

Hi:

I'm new to the board here and really new to EP RC. I have been away from RC for ten years now, but just recently purchased a PKZ J-3 and the Spitfire. As a way of getting back in, I also bought the GP Realflight 3.5 Sim. Downloaded the PKZ Spitfire from the Swap Pages of KnifeFlight website. I'm hoping that those of you who have flown the actual plane can tell me that it flies better than the Sim. The sim seems very underpowered. Any comments would be appreciated. BTW, I'm going to our place out in the country in the next few days. 15 Acs. of mowed pasture. I'll try my hand at the J-3 and then the Spit, assuming the winds allow.

Clint Lovell
Hi and welcome aboard,
I will have to try that download on my G3.5. The PZ Spit is easy to fly if you have prior aileron experience definitely warm up on G3.5 and the J-3 for orientation and thumb coordination. Make sure the winds are low, no more than 5 mph until you get the hang of it and don't overbank the Spit. What is your handlaunch experience? To me the plane is underpowered with the stock NiMh battery. Have you thought about a Lipo? To me speed is life. What is your RC experience? I'll try the sim tonite and let you know.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: oscarlovel

Hi:

Clint Lovell
Sorry unable to find that sim odel on the knifedge website. Can you post a link?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Wild Willie

Good luck
You will find even though the Spitfire is a low wing aileron control, it is also easier to fly than the J3
I got my old J3 out the other day just for fun and couldn't believe the difference.....If you can fly the J3, you will have NO problem with the Spit
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
oscarlovel

Try

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=1169

[link=http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1169]PKZ Spitfire[/link]

That link should put you on the download page. Let me hear back after you guys try it.

Thinking maybe I need to go li-po!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
AETCBoom4

oscar,

Sorry, I don't have the addons 2 for G3.5 to check their Spit. With that being said is their any advice you are looking for. What battery are you planning to run?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Rowdy_b64

Sorry Oscar,
Same boat mate .. don't have 3.5
Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 AM
princeamerica

I have one ordered and it will be here on Monday!! I want to pick up a couple Lipos for this and was wondering what type of connectors to pick up for the batteries. Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
2002denali

I believe the kit comes with one extra battery plug.I know my FW 190 did.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
princeamerica

Good to know, Thank you
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Oregon Craig

I chose USPS shipping, and the tracking they provide is completely rubbish.[]
Mine should be here sometime next week. [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
Rowdy_b64

ORIGINAL: princeamerica

I have one ordered and it will be here on Monday!! I want to pick up a couple Lipos for this and was wondering what type of connectors to pick up for the batteries. Thanks
you are best to lose the Tamiya connector on the plane .. it is bad news .. I had always heard this and thought .ah it's OK .. but have had some really bad things happen .. loss of power in the air .. shorting the battery when the pins pull out ..

You are best to cut the Tamiya off the spit and solder on a male deans plug .. and solder female deans to your lipos.
I learnt the hard way ... now all of my connectors are deans ..
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 PM
princeamerica

Great, thank you. I will do that.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
oscarlovel

Quick question. Is there supposed to be any built-in offset to the rudder, or is mine just bent. Haven't flown it yet and thought I'd better find out. I have about 1/4" of right rudder as it arrived from the shipper.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM
tclaridge

Rudder should be straight. Send it back or get it straight!! Also, make sure your horizontal is horizontal. Many are not out of the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.