Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B

[8D] belgian, thanks for the additional information, I have filed it also.

Sounds like you are flying in nice dense air. I was stationed on a mountain top in Germany while serving in the USAF there and my plane did not fly nearly as well there as it did down on the "deck" at lower altitude.

I enjoy talking about my combat "missions" flying over Germany. I flew my .049 powered original combat ship against Fox .35 powered Ringmasters. My favorite attack mode was from 12 o'clock high. Because I was using longer lines than the enemy I got a number of "line kills."

Sorry, I got a little carried away there - you know how some of us would-be fighter pilots are. We need to get your plane fixed. I would start by replacing the ESC. That may be all that is required. However, I had one plane that actually required both an ESC and a motor (I forgot to mention that earlier) to be replaced, folded a wing in a high G pull-out and went straight in -very humiliating!

If you can buy a lighter LiPo battery you might find your Spitfire easier to fly. The CG can be adjusted by adding a little clay or "Plumber's Putty" to the plane so that the CG is around 60-63 mm behind the leading edge of the wing. In a lighter configuration it helped me a lot to hand launch the Spit and glide it in for a landing. Emotions can be calmed down a lot by such therapy, and before you know it spectators will think your are really cool even when you may not think so.

TALLY HO!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
pope61

Hey guys just got a Spit the other day, and all I'm getting on the 9cell 10.8 v is 3.5 Min's of flight.
any ideas on what the prob is? Ive got the cut off set at 6 v. any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks Wes
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
the belgian

Flight No 4
By the Belgian
Parkzone Spitfire MkIIB

Pre flight;
battery;full charged
start up RX
enter and secure battery
controls:checked
flight mode:B
wind:10Km/h
Airstrip location;
a nearby soccerfield(2 next to eachother)

Flight conditions are great today!Sun and almost no wind.This time the battery is fully charged(i took care of it myself this time).
Checked windirection an gave full trottle.Trowing the bird,under a light upward angle,into the wind i saw it take of and gaining hight
in a smooth way.I started it's upward circling flight to gain hight.After it reached aproximatly 40 meters i took back some speed and brought it to horizontal flight.It was a real delight to see it circle in front of me."No acrobatics,yet."i told myself.At an altitude from about 50 meters i wanted to make a shorter turn but the wind wiped the plane out of balance!I managed to gain controls but overpulled the stick in sideward direction so it made a looping downwards.
Here i made a fatal mistake;i pulled the stick making it dive even more.Too late i could make a corection so the bird hitted the ground under a 45° angle...

Damage report;
-Eh...see for yourself...

Mistakes made and lessons learned;
-fly high=fly safe
-When your bird goes downward,first of all reduce speed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16104.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	989035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25388.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	989036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90635.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	989037  
Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
bigmann292

OUCH that hurts just lookn at that[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
mad web tv scientist

pope, welcome to Spitfire excitement! Your challenge (we don't have problems here only challenges to be overcome) may be a battery that can't be fully charged. Solution - try a new fresh battery and see if that clears the situation up. Hope this helps.

belgian, we feel your pain. It's good to see that your enthusiasm has not been defeated. Hang in there, you will become a fearsome Spitfire pilot even if you must become an enemy ace (by destroying 5 allied aircraft) first.(LOL) Laughter can sometimes be therapeutic. My efforts at humor may have failed. Hopefully, this will clear any possible misunderstanding up.

By the way, what was needed to make your Spit flight ready from it's last little argument with gravity?

FLYING HIGH INTO THE SUN!

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
bigmann292

Belgian I get about 10 min on my standard battery pack(NI-MH 10.8V 1000 mAh) and I probably could get alittle more fly time Im been cautious DONT WANT TO CRASH AND BURN
Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 PM
the belgian

Well i guess that it will take a while to make it airborne again...
In the maintime i made this as a "monument".

adenda the morning after;
In fact it took me only some hours to fix it.
Below you can see how "forgiving" parkzone planes are on serious crashes.
(i only have to replace the spinner...i hope)

This afternoon;flight test n°5 and 6

Flight report,well this time see for yourself at

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=GJaMO1XYSIE

Name:	Db85907.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	989208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74898.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	989209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49141.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	989210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24601.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	989211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39583.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	989212  
Old 07-12-2008, 03:56 PM
linkadrip

lol thats funny i would have a whole grave yard..
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
taran01

Good day everyone.

I've been looking over the forums for a bit now, and I do really enjoy the stories, and tips that I've read.
About three weeks ago I bought a a Parkzone T-28, along with the Real Flight PC program. I put in enough time on the simulator that I could take of and land all the prop planes. The jets are just too fast.
I then went out and flew the T-28. It is awesome. I now have about 18 damage free flights, and I decided it was time to go buy the Parkzone Spitfire.

It is now all ready to ply. I have the LiPo batteries from the T-28 and I understand how to "train" the system for the Lipo battery.
The issue I am having is the fuselage is a bit out of line with the wings. When looking head (Level) the left side elevator is lower then the right, I would guess the difference is a 1/5 " to 1/2 "

Do you think this is safe to fly?
Is there a way I can correct the issue?

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:25 AM
the belgian

Maybe you can unatach the wings and put a thin plastic belt (on the side that is higher) to level the wings.
(the dotted areas)
and then reatach the wings...

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=GJaMO1XYSIE

Name:	Om33191.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	989731  
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
taran01

Thank you for the reply, and the idea.
I't is actully the rear elevater that is attached to the fusilage that has a slight twist counter clockwise. looking at the aircraft from the front level, the left side tail elevater is lower then the right side tail elevater. This makes the whole rear elevator out of level with the wings by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

I reread my first post, and I saw that was was not very clear about that.
Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
2002denali

If you can see it's off by eye then I would try to rectifie that.The things about these planes is you can bust them up but a little foam safe ca glue and some packing tape and it's back to the air.I busted up my first plane alot and I always managed to put it back together.I would try to fix the problem but I can say that my plane flew many times more than a little crooked.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
taran01

Well, I went out today and flew her for the 1st time. I used a LiPo battery (PZ 2200) and got in two good flights.
I had a friend hand launch my Spitfire for me so I could have my full attention on the stick. I am very happy to say it climbed right up, and after about 5 or so minuets of nerve wracking flight I had it trimmed up. I spent the next few minuets flying some lazy circles and then I brought it down to land in some nice thick 4 feet tall weeds. When I walked in to retrieve the plane I found it suspended about 2 to 3 feet from the ground in said weeds. Not a single mark on the plane.

My friend bought the PZ FW-190 the same time (Yesterday) that I bought the spitfire. He had his first flight prior to mine. Our flight were very similar. We both think the spit flies more stable and seemed to climb better. However he was using the stock battery. I don't know if that made a difference with regards to climb rate.

We both then did a second flight. I really enjoyed this one. I launched it myself and it climbed right up at a shallow assent from my hand. I flew a bit more aggressive this time, however I had the mode switch set for the beginner. I did a number of nice low passes to get a good look at her. Wow, this plane looks GOOD in the air! After about 10 minutes I landed in the nice large field of high weeds. Again not a single mark on the plane. Just bring it in low and do a little flare at the end and it drops right into the weeds. They act as a net and the Spitfire never touched the ground.

My only disappointment was the time of day. The conditions here were too windy all day. By the time the wind died of it was getting late, and darkness was creeping in too much for a third flight.
The bend in the fusilage does not seem to be effecting the flight much if any, so all is well. Over all I am very pleased with the Spitfire, and Parkzone. This is my second Parkzone plane, my first being the T-28. Both planes have been great. I hooked up the XPort drop modual to my T-28 today while waiting for the wind to lesson. So I am eager to try that out.

A big thanks to Parkzone for another fun evening enjoying a great hobby.

P.S. I preordered the PZ Corsair that is due out in Aug. after two very positive experiences with Parkzone I really cant wait for it to get here!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
mad web tv scientist

taran, great to learn about your success, very inspirational story! I will be referring some of my new modeling friends to your posts to see how you did it.

My "Spitfire warp" was fixed by heating the rudder/tail section with my wife's hair dryer. Heating the area while bending it a little past where I want it to end up can work well to eventually straighten it out. I also "cheated" a little bit by adding small shims at points on the stab to bring it up to my "aesthetic standards."

The big challenge for me is to mix paint that will match PZ's Spitfire colors. I've come up with a close enough match to get by for now. It would be nice if hobby shops that sell the Spit would also sell the correct touch-up paint.

I share your appreciation for PZ. I also have a Corsair on order and plan to order at least one more upcoming PZ warbird because of their new fabulous interference free technology.

There is at least one other modeling business that is now selling 4 channel aerobatic warbirds that looks really great after studying some of the numbers, but they do not have (yet) PZ's anti-interference technology. So, in addition to a certain loyalty for all the joy PZ has made possible, I am staying with PZ in spite of the lower prices of the other planes. I must admit though, that beautifully scale landing gear equipped Mustang is REALLY tempting. Yes, I could yield but I am determined to resist as long as possible, especially if I can be reinforced by "friendly forces."

GIVE 'EM THE GUN!

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
taran01

Mad,

Thank you for the reply, as well as the kind words.

I hope my experience helps people decide to get into this hobby. I would highly recommend that beginners DO NOT go out alone and try to fly for their first few times.

(A quick personal history with RC)

19 years ago shortly after getting out of the service I went out and bought a "Duro Plane" and every thing I needed. This was a "Gas" powered aircraft, so I needed/bought all the things that go along with that.
I put it all together and figured out all the little things with regards to fueling, starting, and adjusting the engine etc. I built a field box to hold my battery and gas jug and wires and props etc, etc.
Then with out any guidance I went out and tried to fly it. I eventually flew it 5 or 6 times over the course of that year. I crashed each time, and after all that, I decided I did not have what it takes in skill, or in the pocket book to get into this hobby. That was that. I gave up.

Zoom ahead 19 years. We moved to a new town, and about the second week here I was home working on who knows what when I heard that high pitched whine of an RC air plane. It was close too. I went out the back of my house to find my new next door neighbor flying a PZ Striker (he also has 3 other planes, not counting his new FW-190)out over the corn field (Low early corn). I sat down and enjoyed the show. We got to talking and over the next year he flew that thing out there, and, well I felt the "call" again.

This time I did things right. Before, I had no internet to research what I was looking for in a new plane. This time I did. I also had a vet RC pilot living next door (who I get along with).
So with permission from my better half (most of the time) I went out and bought the Parkzone T-28. I also bought a popular RC flight simulator. It was difficult to spring the cash on the simulator because I could have used that cash on a second plane. After thinking about it, I went with the simulator. I figured it would save me allot of money in the long run. I am very happy to say that it has!
I went home and put together the T-28 then I set it in the garage. I spent about 12 hours over a week or more practicing taking off and landing in both windy, and calm conditions. I crashed many, many times. My goal was to be able to take off and land with every prop plane the simulator had to offer. Once I was able to do that I went out along with my neighbor to fly my T-28 for the first time. With his help on the first flight We got it trimmed up and the rest is history. I now have 18 flight's with the T-28, and two with the spitfire, all without damage to the planes. I am having a blast. It just goes to show you, that if you take the time to do something the right way, and take your time, it will pay off. My late Father in law used to tell me "Slow down, you will get done sooner." He was right.

Another very big thing for me was electric RC technology has come a LONG way. Buy a parkzone war bird with an extra battery. Go down to your local RC hobby store and spend some time on the simulator (If they have one set up), or better yet buy one. get some help from a vet to trim it up when you fly it the first time or two, and you are IN! After that you can enjoy yourself at your own pleasure when ever you have the time and the wind cooperates. You don't need a big old field box to carry a jug of oily, smelly flammable fuel, along with all the rest of that stuff. You don't need to worry about your engine cutting out on you in the middle of some maneuver while your in laws watch you crater into the deck. Just be sure you keep track of your flight time, and you land the plane when it starts getting sluggish (battery is getting low). Replace the drained battery with your back up, stick the used one on the charger (charger has a plug for your car cigarette lighter) and fly some more.

This is an awesome hobby. I would highly recommend that people with an interest in it, take the step. But, don't rush out and try to fly with out preparing yourself. Take you're time at the start, then you can enjoy yourself and not waste 19 years before you try again, like I did.

Semper Fidelis!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
linkadrip

Sounds great and i agree fully. i did the same thing got in the hobby about 28 years ago. and did it for a couple years but couldnt get things right i was flying control line cox gas planes and destroyed many. So i stopped and got back into in 2005 and have had loads of fun.. My spitfire has had 50 or so flights and is still a fun plane to fly. I have moved up to other ep powered aircraft and have a bunch of gas powered planes witch are a pain in the but at times.

But now i'm looking at the corsair from parkzone looks like a fun plane. but i'll wait till there on the market and have been battle tested buy others before i consider one.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM
taran01

Linkadrip,

I think your plan to wait and see on the Corsair is a good one. The Corsair has always been my favorite bird. I'll post here after I look her over and fly a couple times and share my thoughts.

Take care.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
taran01

I am having an issue with my new PZ Spitfire.
I am using the 11.1v LiPo batteries. Other then that its all stock from the box.

I flew it twice the first night out and had a great time. It flies really well.
However last night after one flight that was routine, I landed it and replaced the battery for another flight. Here's the trouble. I did not get any beeps after placing the new battery in. I also do not get any reaction to input on the throttle stick. The motor does not seem to work at all. The control stick work just fine. I can move all control surfaces without trouble.

I am aware and do "Train" the sys for the LiPo battery.

I turn on the transmitter,
Then I set the throttle to max,
Then I plug in the 11.1 V LiPo battery.
The system then gives its series of beeps and I set the system for the LiPo.
I then return the throttle to the minimum position and arm the motor.

So it seems my speed control may be burned out, and or my motor is also damaged. I have no idea how that would have happened. all my flights were smooth and I landed in high weeds with out and mark to the spitfire.

Could one of you who uses a 11.1v LiPo battery reply and tell me what you set "Train" the system for.
The options are:

1 beep.
2 beeps.
3 beeps.
7 beeps.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] taran, it's great to see you continuing to enjoy this hobby. Okay, let's look at this latest little "speed bump" with the somewhat confusing battery programming system. Hopefully, nothing is destroyed in your plane.

First please do the "Boot-Up" procedure as explained in your Instruction Manual. After listening to all the beeps unplug your battery and click on the next url, scroll down to post # 16 and follow the "hopefully clearer" instructions on that post.

KILLER SPITFIRE
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7453530/tm.htm

Let us know if this fixes things.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
taran01

Hello Mad,

Thanks for the quick help.
At This point I don't get any beeps at all when I plug in the battery. So I cant go through the start up.
However I will be bringing the spitfire to the local Hub Hobby and see if they will trouble shoot the issue. I am pretty sure its going to be a speed controller. Which is part of the receiver. So I may end up buying a new one for around 40.00 []
I bought the plane Saturday. I called the store I bought it from last night at 5pm and the guy there said to bring it in today and he will replace it, or fix it.
Well I went there today and there was a sign in the window stating the store is closed and wont reopen until their "Going out of business" sale. So much for getting my moneys worth from that store.
So I am going to Hub in stead.

Any way... I am rambling.
My point was that when I correct the issue, I'll use the links you posted and make sure I am doing things right.

OK, I had to edit to ask this...what the heck are->Both ailerons are now connected with "Z" bends with "V" adjustment areas.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
linkadrip

You could always upgrade the plane like i did. Withan align brushless motor robinson gear and 35 amp ESC mine screames through the air. fun fun fun. but it does take some hobby skills to do but not reallt to bad the alighn brushless motor will bolt righ in to were the stock one goes. But goto the hub first. but if you want to do the upgrade this thread has all the upgrade info you ever wanted to know. may take some searching back a few pages but its there. Just a thought.

I went with the upgrade cause i damaged my motor and it wouldnt beep anymore. Just a thought but find out what the hub says first. an upgrade will cost more then 40 bucks..
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
taran01

Link,

When you fried you stock motor, what sysmptoms did you have?

Does your new motor have the same Beeps to indicate the battery you are set up to use?

Do you have a picture or two of the gear on your Spitfire? I would like to see how you did that.

Ill also look through this post for additial info on upgrades.

I really appriciate these forums. it is great to have like minded people to discuss these topics with.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
mad web tv scientist

taran, sorry about your hobby shop. You have provided such good advertisement for modeling in general and Horizon Hobby Inc. in particular that I have no doubt that they will treat you right about your warranty claim. They may even do a whole lot more.

The last paragraph on page 14 of your Spitfire Manual provides contact info. You might tell them that your situation is clearly described on the "Spitfire thread:" Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...page_33/tm.htm

I am simply going to have to learn how to put pictures on the thread. Aileron connections - the pushrods have a "V" adjustment feature bent into the wire at a point close to the aileron horn connection. This allows each aileron deflection angle to be "fine tuned" independently by widening the "V" shape or by closing the "V" shape in the pushrod wire. The so-called "Z" bend is what is used to connect to the aileron horn so it won't become disconnected once it is installed into the horn. A small "number sized drill" can provide a nice hole in the horn that makes a nice bushing for the "Z" bend that is made using needle nose pliers. Be sure the "bushing section" of the "Z" bend is horizontal and is "square" with the aileron horn connection to avoid any binding.

OFF WE GO INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: taran01

Link,

When you fried you stock motor, what sysmptoms did you have?

Well it wouldnt work anymore and it wouldnt beep or do anything but i fried it on landing forgot to let off the throttle after it alanded and it burnt the armature in the motor shorted the armature out

Does your new motor have the same Beeps to indicate the battery you are set up to use? The Alighn Burushless setup im using is the same one use in a trex 450SE Helicopter i took it out of the helicopter and put it in the spitfire. I forgot which robinson racing gear is used i would have to go back through the thread to find refrence to it. or i may have refrence to it from a tower hobbies list i will have to look..

Do you have a picture or two of the gear on your Spitfire? I would like to see how you did that.

I will see if i still have the pics of the gear setup on the Spitfire.

Ill also look through this post for additial info on upgrades. ALl the info on the upgrades i made are in this thread somewere i'm not the only one who has done it..

I really appriciate these forums. it is great to have like minded people to discuss these topics with.

Thanks.
these are old pictures i have since modified the front and put the spinner back on it so it looks better. Keep in mind putting a brushless motor and differnet speed control i also upgraded the radio sytem to a DX6 Spektrum and receiver and the plane is very light and it will sky rocket out of view really fast if your not careful and the climbe rate is very excessive, there are other things mentioned to keep the plane from wanting to climb all the time i just trim it out after is in flight and trim in down elevator to get it to fly level but you have to rember to trim it back to level before launching again or it will dive toward the ground has made some hair rasing experiences on some launches.. Other recommend bracingthe wing witha carbon fiber rod since the G forces on the plane are incresed due to speed. but i usually just fly mine around in a mild manner and havent had any problems with my wing buckling or folding on me and it's been pretty beat up from landing in the dirt and weeds. Eventually i'll have to buy another wing from the damage that is occuring to the bottom of the plane.

The key two components i had to buy was the prop adapter from tower hobbies and the robison Spur gear to mount to the Brushless motor the rest was scavanged from my Helicopter..

I'll have to take some pictures of it currently here soon i had to shorten the Drive Shaft that the prop adapter slides onto and removed one of the nylon rings to get he prop adapter to mount flush with the front on the bearing in the front so it wouldnt beend on landings as much. I havent flow the plane much lately have so many others that i take out and fly. It has an APC 9X9E prop on it witch puts out alot of thrust and is also a prop that was recomended buy another who did the same to there Spitfire. The nice thing about the upgrade is the Align Brushless motor that the TREX 450 SE hell uses it that it bolt right in to the stock mount with no modifications and the robisnon gear meshes perfectly with the stock nylon drive gear on the drive shaft..

Name:	Ca80725.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	992112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36332.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	992113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23622.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	992114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65101.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	992115  
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
linkadrip

LXEW97 Robinson Racing Pinion Gear 32P 12T 1 $3.69
LXPRA6 Axi Prop Holder 4mm M6 AXI2808 2814 1 $7.40
LXHAP3 APC 9x9 Thin Electric Propeller 2 $4.90
these are the only items i order from tower hobbies for my upgrade. i had the lipo batteries and all the other stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.