Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
maxamus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

just a quick one these cams are still available to buy shipped from the uk at indoorflyer he has about 30 left in stock. Shipped to the USA $65.47 shipped uninsured, $71.26 insured. If you live in the UK it will be even less! aprox Β£35 All go out via airmail. thats a good price as i paid about Β£50 for mine

check it out

http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/

anybody have any questions about the cam pm me and i will try my best to answer

maxamus

Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
tims880

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Well I just did something stupid. But not sure what. I just got my lipo's. I changed out the connecotrs to deans. Pluged in lipo and bam smoked my motor and esc. Ok what did I do wrong? No wires shorted and I connected the postive wire to the same connector. Crap 120 bucks down the drain.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
flyfastest

Thanks for the info Gryphon!

Yeah....the 16/15/3 is VERY loud on 4S. Prop is moving right along.... [X(]

Anyway..... I have my 16/25/3 Mega up for sale on fleebay. I'm thinkin I will just run the 16/15/3 cause I can run the 4S and 3S batts and get good power from either battery. Yes...you are correct... 3000 KV.

Can you tell me...... is the advantage of running a 16/25 series motor so that a larger prop can be used with less amp draw??

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 AM
R-racer

for those of you with realflight G3 here is a stryker.Its looks pretty good.This thing is fast/I have had it to 160mph but it will break aprts at those speeds.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...do=file&id=637
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Cali11

Wow she is fast!
Must need some carbon rods,she breaks apart in a tight turn at 120 mph!
Thanks alot of fun
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Gryphon

Somegeek,

There has been 3 maidens of Strykers with 16/25/2 2650KV on this thread and there may be up to 4 more before it is over.
I will not name names....YET.... but at least 3 of them have mentioned it some where on this thread and they are all working on it.

Some very fast Strykers have been built on this thread and I wanted to thank you for doing a great job running this thread and keeping a close eye on everything.

O.K. here are some of their first initials: R, M, B, M. 3 of them have a great chance of maiden in the next few weeks.

That would make at least 8 Strykers (7+1) that can fly at 110-130+ MPH, all in 7 months or so.

*** There has also been lots of upgrades and most everyone here has started to fly faster and faster.

You need to change the name of this thread to WAY WAY WAY past the limits (just kidding).

Gryphon
Old 04-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Gryphon

flyfastest,

Look at it this way, when you start to push much past 30A, the 480 sized 16/25/X is more efficient than the shorter 400 sized 16/15/X.
More efficient as far as less less power is wasted in the motor and more of it is getting to the prop.
If you take a couple of motors with identical KVs the bigger one will either A) turn a little more RPM while drawing a little less, B) turn more RPM while drawing more power, or C) turn even more RPM while drawing a little more power.

As the amps go up the difference grows more and more.
Try running 60+Amps through 16/15/X...Seriously don't do it.
But we have seen example of guys pushing 50-60 amps through 16/25/3 1700KV (same as your motor) without issues, that was on 6S with well over 1000W
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
flyfastest

Thanks for all the info Gryphon!

This is how I understood it and have seen first hand running on the watt meter. I had to ask though. I'll try to keep track of all the individuals with the 16/25/2 motor. This larger motor (16/25/2) seems like a better option over the 16/25/3 as I could use it with 3S or 4S batteries and still have a combination with good power. When flying the 16/25/3 on 3S I was surprised just how much less real world flying power I had. Now on 4S it woke right up. Still... 16/25/2 must really come alive on 4S and ABOVE!

Thanks again for all the help! I think I finally know where I want to be with my Stryker and can't wait to see video of these powerhouses you guys are putting together.

fly!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: tims880

Well I just did something stupid. But not sure what. I just got my lipo's. I changed out the connecotrs to deans. Pluged in lipo and bam smoked my motor and esc. Ok what did I do wrong? No wires shorted and I connected the postive wire to the same connector. Crap 120 bucks down the drain.
That's unusual. The only thing I would think could possibly smoke the ESC would be the polarity of the lipo connection being reversed. A voltage spike when plugging it in could and has happened to others. Still, even with the battery connection reversed I don't see how that would destroy your motor as well.

On another note, here's an updated picture of my dual boomer with the 6 foot wingspan. I've got fiberglass rods in the two wing pieces to join them already and used basswood glued to the top of the fuse/booms that nylon bolts go through the ply on top to thread to. I did this so I can break the wing down to two pieces and pull the booms off for transport. The wing has a good bit of flex to it but I'm sure that will stiffen up some when I use Extreme strapping tape over the rods and on various other places. Still, the coruplast horizontal stabilizer and balsa elevator appear to be sticking out too far for the weight. There is a good bit of flex there, as you can see in the picture by how the tail is not level with the nose. I'm considering gluing carbon tubes into the tops of the booms and attached to under the basswood on them to stiffen the tail up. Not sure if that will cure the problem. I am also considering cutting off the booms at the trailing edge of the wing and then just using carbon tubes for them all the way to the tail and no foam. That will make the rear end very light and stiffen it up, though I think it will distract from the looks of the plane not having foam back there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27407.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	663201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71133.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	663202  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
joe1
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Critterhunter :-}
This was in a box that came from Horizon Hobbies, but my local hobby shop had order for me.
But it is like you said very dry, it's like it is dry rotted!
If you push on it hardly at all it will crumble or put a hole in it, it sure the ( Hell ) is nothing like my first one that was a ARTF Stryker.
Does anyone know of a planes similar to the Stryker that is made of EPP Foam, I know someone mention one, but I have CRS and can not remember what it was called.
Also this Stryker is doing the same thing as my last one and I have the new C mount and I have put some down thrust in the mount and have my CG 1 degree down when holding on balance points and it still climbs alot at anything above 70% throttle, so I would like to find a Epp jet type plane that has a better airfoil.
Thanks To All
ORIGINAL: critterhunter

The only fuse that I would consider junk was the original F27 (NOT B) that came out the first year or so. I bought the ready to fly bird and the body was very "dry", in that it would crumble much like it was dry rotted or something. Well, maybe not to that extent but it for sure was not as good as all the replacement bodies I've bought since then (5 or 10). None of them have been like you describe. Perhaps somebody is making cheap knock offs? Start pinching your Stryker bodies like you do produce in the grocery store to see if they are ripe.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
maxamus

Take a look at the fantom very similar but running an edf unit
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=805

or the multiplex fun jet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-EtimsFP8

ive just orderd a new stryker fuse hope its all ok and not a bag of dust when it arrives lol
Old 04-13-2007, 02:02 PM
tims880

critter I checked the polarity on the battery and it is ok. Yup melted the motor wires and the esc was to hot to touch. I had been flying this setup with 8 and 9 cell ni-mh batteries and all was good. It was a stock C brushless motor and a venom 36 amp esc. I am lost on this one. Oh battery output is 11.6 volts.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 PM
tims880

Well maybe the esc had issues. I bought some venom 1200ma batteries back in my challenger days that were junk from the start.
Anyway I ordered a 40 amp esc and a 2409-12t from aero-nuts. Start over again.
What do I do with this battery? Think its ok?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Gryphon

flyfastest,

Don't even sell your motor short. That is one of THE BEST motors, due to its lower KV you just need more voltage. With high voltage it will also be VERY efficient.
Depending on the battery or batteries used, you can easily make 800-1200W without going to a high voltage ESC(a must for 7S or more).
Your motor is rated for up to 9S.
Give it enough prop and battery and it'll beat your 16/15/3 on 3S, run 2 of your identical 3S batteries in parallel, same voltage, twice the capacity and twice the amp flow and less voltage drop under load so same prop will draw more amps and make more power, Use larger diameter prop than the smaller motor to make big power like the smaller one or to make more.
Don't sell it unless you can get a good price for it. That motor is worth $95, not sure what you were going to sell it for, but consider keeping it. Run it like I mentioned and then tell me if you think it makes less power.

To fly really fast:
16/25/3 6S and medium 40-60A Needs more cells (or 2 batteries)
OR
16/25/2 4S and 60A-90A Needs bigger and better cells
Your motor would be more efficient, but if the 16/25/2 goes to 5S the race results will be clear. 4S and 90+ amps will also win, but I guess the 16/25/3 with over 60A has not been tested yet by people that I know on line. Buggygovroom has pushed it the most as far as I know and I've only been reading the thread a lot for a year or more now like part 4 and such.

I cannot remember what you have for an ESC. IF it is a CC80A or CC60A, they are good for up to 6S, so you can run two of your identical 3S batteries in series. The capacity and current rating will stay the same but your voltage will double.
If you don't want to make a harness, you can buy the Great planes series harness. I know many of the better local hobby stores sell them but call them first. Find the exact info by looking on www.towerhobbies.com
If you cannot find it, then PM me and I'll look and send you a link. I think it goes for $8-9. There are probably other options. Great planes also makes the parallel harness and that is even smaller and lighter due to lack of wires.

Later,
Gryphon
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
flyfastest

Thanks Gryphon!

I already listed the motor. [X(] Hopefully I get a good price for it on Ebay. Anyway....I kind of like the thought of 16/25/2 on 4S. I understand I would have to raise the mah's of battery to handle the amp load but this way I run one battery only. I thought about using two as you discussed but that Stryker is really limited on room. It feels cramped with just a polyquest 4S battery (2150 mah) inside and the extra bec and Isol. Maybe other batt's in the 4S size are smaller. Polyquest spaces the lipo cells for cooling. Makes the battery much bulkier than if the cells were sandwiched together.

Chances are I'll end up with a 16/25/2 with 4S 3800 mah combo OR something along those lines. I guess I can just prop for the proper batt amps.

Thanks so much for ALL the info. Your time and knowledge....including your willingness to openly share in this forum makes you a great asset to this community!

Fly!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
flyfastest

Well I charged the Polyquest 4S 2150 mah 20C Lipo.

FYI,

16/15/3 motor and 4.75x4.75 prop

Amps= 49
WAtts= 640

WOW!!!

Now battery is good for 43 amps continuous so I'm only off 7 amps from this. With a load in the air and a little charge burn off I figure I'll be right in the ball park of where this batt can provide FULL power continuous. Not that I run FULL power all the time but nice to know I could.

Fly!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Kaw1000

Question.......My friend has a stryker b......he is using all the factory stuff....nimh Batterys.........do these nimh batterys wear out after alot of uses??
Yesterday we tryed to fly his stryker b and it had half the power it should have.....do you all think the the nimh factory batterys that came with
the stryker b are wearing out??
Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 AM
fighting falcons

Most likely yes... I ran a regular stryker B for a long time with 4 nimh batteries and after using them for about 6 or 7 months they went flat and wouldn't even hold a charge. Others please tell what you think, becuase I am not 100% sure and wouldn't want his friend to go buy new batteries if I am wrong.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 PM
critterhunter

You can try running the nimhs dead with a light bulb or something and then slow charging them at .3 or so amps. This might recover them. However, keep in mind that I've noticed a slow charged pack doesn't always seem to have the same kick as a normal 1C charge with nimhs, so after the slow charge run them down to LVC and then charge them at the normal 1C rate (.9 or 1.1 amps, depending on the MA size of the pack). You might also have a bum charger. The Parkzone chargers are notorious for not getting everything into the pack. After it's peaked unplug it and then plug it back in for another top off. It would be unusual for all of the packs to go bad at the same time so I'd expect the motor is getting weak. Make sure the pack isn't real cold either when trying to fly it.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
tam popo

Hi cousin! Just joined the hallowed ranks of newbie f27b owners hence my first question to you. Supplies of spare parts in Scotland/Uk(cones, fuse,etc). Don't want to go LiPo for personal reasons so what is best b/less using "C" mount? This thread is so big it's hard to nail down answers without going thru reams of pages. I also need to find body strengthening tips - where? I know you're a busy film director/test pilot but any help will be good. Must go, my cup of tea and your famous cake is waiting!![8D]
Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 PM
wo23dodge

hey,one that starts with a W put his in the air today

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Somegeek,

There has been 3 maidens of Strykers with 16/25/2 2650KV on this thread and there may be up to 4 more before it is over.
I will not name names....YET.... but at least 3 of them have mentioned it some where on this thread and they are all working on it.

Some very fast Strykers have been built on this thread and I wanted to thank you for doing a great job running this thread and keeping a close eye on everything.

O.K. here are some of their first initials: R, M, B, M. 3 of them have a great chance of maiden in the next few weeks.

That would make at least 8 Strykers (7+1) that can fly at 110-130+ MPH, all in 7 months or so.

*** There has also been lots of upgrades and most everyone here has started to fly faster and faster.

You need to change the name of this thread to WAY WAY WAY past the limits (just kidding).

Gryphon
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 AM
maxamus

popo

here is a link to ordering stryker parts in scotland but i only realy use them for a new fuse other spares i order in from across the pond
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/Park...2.html?future=

USA
http://www.hobbyzone.com/

as this is much cheaper and they have c spares and i have found that shipping takes 7-10 days

as for mods here is a link tried and tested and credited to critterhunter
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4790624/tm.htm

so popo now your all set enjoy

maxamus.........

Old 04-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Gryphon

wo23dodge,

W...would that be you? really...do tell, how did it go? Details of setup, and flight my brother....

XxOoCoBrAoOxX,
Good luck with that big jump in prop diameter and pitch. So far so good, but a jump in both...Wow. keep it up high.
Most likely you'll be gliding around a lot, because after a few seconds of full throttle, you'll have to shut off the throttle to calm down and come back down from the stratosphere.
Surprised you flew with 6X4 once.
At max air speed you'll have 2/3 more power. Consider the 7X4 or 7X5 instead.
Watch your hand during the launch; it'll want to accelerate faster than before.
I know you are responsible enough to keep it up high enough. NO FLY BYs, O.K? Not yet
I wish you the best.

Gryphon
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 AM
tam popo

Hiya Max! Thanks for that info, will take a look after my porridge. I have 4 planes (Swift, ME262, Zagi and F27b) and F27b the best, straight from the box. I'm retired at 55 so spend most of my waking life flying/building/researching planes, not easy for an insomniac!! Came back to flying after 20 year lay-off - Gawd, you need a degree in mechanical/electronic science and theory of Quantum Physics just to get airborne. I still struggle with rubber power Your vids are legend in their own lifetime. Going to watch Rab C. then flying. Thanks again
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
wo23dodge

Lets just say I am impressed
I still plan on talking to you more but since our last PM I ran across a new 15/25/2 for $80 so I jumped on it,put it on a stock replacement airframe and went flying lastnight with a buddy(who also maidened his stryker).
I had no idea what prop to use so I tried a 7x3 I had laying around and it screams,put on a 6x4 and made a pass,landed it and pulled that off(never to be used again ) then tried my old tried and true 7x6,half throttle or just above and vertical must be impressive judging by all the comments I heard coming from the guys in the pits.
put in one of my evo 20 4s batteries and 3/4 throttle on the flat and level and you find the limits of the stock body LOL the wings flutter like a humming bird

Bottom line,with the Mega 16/25/2 and either a 7x3 or 7x6 prop this thing is a beast,if the airframe survives today it will be time to carbon fiber her up and if not,guess I am headed back to hobby town for another fuse

I PM'd the guy above selling the 16/25/3,thought maybe it would be a beast in my funjet the Mega 16/15/3 seems to be ok in it but I have not yet ironed out the bugs in that plane.

Brian

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

wo23dodge,

W...would that be you? really...do tell, how did it go? Details of setup, and flight my brother....

XxOoCoBrAoOxX,
Good luck with that big jump in prop diameter and pitch. So far so good, but a jump in both...Wow. keep it up high.
Most likely you'll be gliding around a lot, because after a few seconds of full throttle, you'll have to shut off the throttle to calm down and come back down from the stratosphere.
Surprised you flew with 6X4 once.
At max air speed you'll have 2/3 more power. Consider the 7X4 or 7X5 instead.
Watch your hand during the launch; it'll want to accelerate faster than before.
I know you are responsible enough to keep it up high enough. NO FLY BYs, O.K? Not yet
I wish you the best.

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.