Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
I.C.O.N.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Welcome fighting falcons, What do you have for an ESC?

The KV seems a bit high for a direct drive I think. I don't know all the specifics of the motor but a guess from motocalc is.

102MPH @ 57A and 556W... Let me know if this sounds way out of wack guys. I am just getting into the motocalc.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old 04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
fighting falcons

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

The esc is a unitedhobbies H-Wing Pentium 60amp. I am guesing that since it is not the greatest and drap that it will most likely be in the high 80's possibly 90's. I do not know though and would like some more opinions.

Thanks for the help ICON
Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Buggygovroom

If anyone happens to be interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...697&electric=0
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey guys! Finally got all my stuff ready and installed my Carbon Fiber rods. Everything went well. I thought I couldnt even do it. It was fun but got my room into a jungle while carving out the hatch for my huge 3s 4500 td extreme and then installing my rods.
Here are some Pics.

-Adisn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14445.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	655793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40291.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	655794  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Mach62

Fighting Falcons:

Your motor is rated for 30 amps. You will toast it with that prop you mention. Unless you have a wattmeter to check your amps, I would not run any larger than 4.75x4.75 apc(e) on it.

I would be guessing about speed but at 280 watts or so, you might be able to hit 70mph - 80mph if the motor is efficient.

ORIGINAL: fighting falcons

Hello everybody,

I am new to these forums (though I have been glancing at it from time to time), but not the Stryker. I have flown it for a year, give or take a few months. I was wondering what everyone is reading on the speed of their strykers. Currently I have a Hextronic 2200 mah lipo with a donsrc 3200k/v motor. I have only flown it a couple times but is this a good setup and what would the speed most likely be on a 6x5.5 prop ? Oh and from what i hear about some members who wear out their welcome, I am a teenager, but respect the forums and everyone's goals and information.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Gryphon

XxOoCoBrAoOxX,

You mean carving out your battery compartment floor area, not hatch.

Either way, let me know when you are ready for those two 9" tubes to be installed from front to rear, in the lower left and right of the area starting from the nose mounting area going back.

Make sure the tips are sharp, then push them in while twisting. Do it very slowly. Don't cut them to 9" before starting. After the install is finished then cutoff the excess.
This will prevent the front of fuse from breaking off on a hard landing. Two strips of 3M Extreme tape from front to rear running under the center of fuse will help further strengthen the area.
I know how deep you had to go to get that monster battery standing on the side edge. You went deeper than me to install Velcro under battery...WOW...I settled for running 2 pieces of 3M extreme tape on top of battery.

Either way, I want to say that you impressed me on how fast you handled the whole C.F. install
***Next Stryker build, consider doing wooden elevons and wooden T.E.

Those thinner C.F. Strips in the hinge area will surely help you at 110MPH with Stock F-27C Elevons. Keep your promise to run a small prop in the early days.

Again way to go.....I am very impressed.

Have a good day at school tomorrow. I'm sure you are going to bed with a smile.

Later,
Gryphon
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Hagar69

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

That's about the K/V range I'm looking at. I was thinking a max of 1000 k/v. Funny you should mention United Hobbies because that's where I plan to buy the motor- either an 18T or something else in the less than $30 range. Reason being that I plan to order a few of those Hextronicks 20C 2200ma 3 cell packs at $32 from them and might as well get the motor there as well. Yes, don't plan to do any unlimited V or fast speeds for that matter. This plane is going to serve dual duty as an aerial platform so low speed/high torque is in order. I do like what little I've used the 18T and so may just opt for that. Still, plan to investigate some other motors before deciding. I'm guessing something in the 700 to 800 gram of thrust area would be the sweet spot. Thanks for the input.
Critter,
I have used United Hobbies a lot over the last year, they keep getting better all the time. Delivery time is sligthly longer than from Aero-Nuts, but the prices are so low that it is worth the extra 2-3 days. I just found that they have a special section with Power Combos at very low prices, check this link: [link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory= 179]Power Combo[/link]

Also found this nice chart: [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedhobbies/store/tp_motor.html]Tower Pro motor specs[/link]

Now, if you could find a 2908-10T motor , that would probably work well on your big bird.

EDIT: They have it: [link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2047]2908-10T[/link]

Hagar
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Maine_Flyer

critter, I'm running that motor in my scratch-built sailplane at 32oz auw with a 10x5 apc folder w/ 4s 3100 12c... pulls 19 amps WOT and likes it.. I'm guessin that on 3s you could run an APC 11x5.5E for similar amps and push that plane with decent authority... I've run it to 25 amps on 4s in the winter but settled in with the 19 amps 10x5 prop on 4s.. I have a 10x6 folder I run for 3s for similar power but not quite.. just watch the winding color.. if it starts to discolor your on the edge

Since some of us take the liberty of posting non-Stryker builds here and there on this thread, I figured I'd post my latest creation with a 6 foot wingspan...

Last night I did a few cold ones in the garage and worked on my scaled up dual boomer. For the most part I've just doubled the dimensions. This bird is going to also serve as my AP platform. I threw it together with toothpicks for the photo. Everything still needs sanded and it's missing the elevator yet. The horizontal stabilizer also is going to be carved into an airfoil or at least thinned down some. I'm planning to run a 2409-18 motor as a pusher swinging a 10x4 or 10x5 or so, maybe an 11. Have to do the math to see if this motor is going to have enough torque to fly this plane, though I've heard it can lift a two pound plus plane into the air with no problem. Wing is going to be in two pieces and removed from the fuse/booms via nylon bolts. The original design uses a single aileron and elevator but I'm thinking elevator and dual rudders for this build (since AP is easier with rudders), so I'll give the wing a bit of dehidral at the tips for stability. Servos will be HS81s, Battery: 20C 2200ma 3 cell.

A few other statistics:

Foam: Regular White "Box" Foam From Home Depot. Fins Are Cell Foam 88, Fuse: 29", Booms: 40", Wing: 6'x7" Clark-Y, Horizontal Stabilizer: 8x24", Elevator: 4x24" (Missing in Photo), Fins: 11x8"

In the picture is a yard stick laying across the wing for scale. She's a monster. Should be easy to see it real far away for some good aerial video work. The wing loading should be so low that she'll land at walking speed. Then again, I might not be able to get this thing to land.

Name:	Rp42370.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	655929   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45781.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	655930  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
critterhunter

Hello everybody,

I am new to these forums (though I have been glancing at it from time to time), but not the Stryker. I have flown it for a year, give or take a few months. I was wondering what everyone is reading on the speed of their strykers. Currently I have a Hextronic 2200 mah lipo with a donsrc 3200k/v motor. I have only flown it a couple times but is this a good setup and what would the speed most likely be on a 6x5.5 prop ? Oh and from what i hear about some members who wear out their welcome, I am a teenager, but respect the forums and everyone's goals and information.
I see somebody bought the same motor I had. I never got to fly it as I sold it to a friend who put it on his streamlined Stryker. This motor is said to be good for 30 amps and 300 watts, though it can be overpropped to draw close to 40 amps. The 4.75x4.75 is I think about the safest recommended prop size without over propping. You can check my build a bullet proof stryker thread in this forum for more data on it along with some links to info on the 450th which it is a "clone" of. Let us know how you like it. It should do good unlimited V and have really good speed in the 80mph+ range on a stock body I'm guessing.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Hagar69

That's about the K/V range I'm looking at. I was thinking a max of 1000 k/v. Funny you should mention United Hobbies because that's where I plan to buy the motor- either an 18T or something else in the less than $30 range. Reason being that I plan to order a few of those Hextronicks 20C 2200ma 3 cell packs at $32 from them and might as well get the motor there as well. Yes, don't plan to do any unlimited V or fast speeds for that matter. This plane is going to serve dual duty as an aerial platform so low speed/high torque is in order. I do like what little I've used the 18T and so may just opt for that. Still, plan to investigate some other motors before deciding. I'm guessing something in the 700 to 800 gram of thrust area would be the sweet spot. Thanks for the input.
Critter,
I have used United Hobbies a lot over the last year, they keep getting better all the time. Delivery time is sligthly longer than from Aero-Nuts, but the prices are so low that it is worth the extra 2-3 days. I just found that they have a special section with Power Combos at very low prices, check this link: [link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory= 179]Power Combo[/link]

Also found this nice chart: [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedhobbies/store/tp_motor.html]Tower Pro motor specs[/link]

Now, if you could find a 2908-10T motor , that would probably work well on your big bird.

EDIT: They have it: [link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2047]2908-10T[/link]

Hagar
Hagar, I started a thread on rcgroups.com in the Power Sources forum called something like "United Hobby Motors- What Do You Like & Why?". Dr. Kiwi has been kind enough to respond with some input on cheap $30 or less motors from them that I'm looking into. He's done extensive testing of various motors and many don't live up to their claims, so I think I'll use him as my guide and check into a few motors he's recommended. After checking up on the 18T specs I'm sure it will handle my requirements fine. However, I'm leaning towards buying some other type of motor that is more efficient, mounts easier, etc. We'll see...

Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Maine_Flyer

critter, I'm running that motor in my scratch-built sailplane at 32oz auw with a 10x5 apc folder w/ 4s 3100 12c... pulls 19 amps WOT and likes it.. I'm guessin that on 3s you could run an APC 11x5.5E for similar amps and push that plane with decent authority... I've run it to 25 amps on 4s in the winter but settled in with the 19 amps 10x5 prop on 4s.. I have a 10x6 folder I run for 3s for similar power but not quite.. just watch the winding color.. if it starts to discolor your on the edge

Since some of us take the liberty of posting non-Stryker builds here and there on this thread, I figured I'd post my latest creation with a 6 foot wingspan...

Last night I did a few cold ones in the garage and worked on my scaled up dual boomer. For the most part I've just doubled the dimensions. This bird is going to also serve as my AP platform. I threw it together with toothpicks for the photo. Everything still needs sanded and it's missing the elevator yet. The horizontal stabilizer also is going to be carved into an airfoil or at least thinned down some. I'm planning to run a 2409-18 motor as a pusher swinging a 10x4 or 10x5 or so, maybe an 11. Have to do the math to see if this motor is going to have enough torque to fly this plane, though I've heard it can lift a two pound plus plane into the air with no problem. Wing is going to be in two pieces and removed from the fuse/booms via nylon bolts. The original design uses a single aileron and elevator but I'm thinking elevator and dual rudders for this build (since AP is easier with rudders), so I'll give the wing a bit of dehidral at the tips for stability. Servos will be HS81s, Battery: 20C 2200ma 3 cell.

A few other statistics:

Foam: Regular White "Box" Foam From Home Depot. Fins Are Cell Foam 88, Fuse: 29", Booms: 40", Wing: 6'x7" Clark-Y, Horizontal Stabilizer: 8x24", Elevator: 4x24" (Missing in Photo), Fins: 11x8"

In the picture is a yard stick laying across the wing for scale. She's a monster. Should be easy to see it real far away for some good aerial video work. The wing loading should be so low that she'll land at walking speed. Then again, I might not be able to get this thing to land.
Thanks for your input and nice plane once again!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM
fighting falcons

Thank you for your help everyone! I will tell you how the maiden goes once everything gets here. I will also try to include a video.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
DepronJet

Thank you for your help everyone! I will tell you how the maiden goes once everything gets here. I will also try to include a video.
Vid is Good
Good Luck on your maiden flight.. stay focused ..

its been a while since i posted
Hi to all [8D]

just thought i would post a few pics and links

http://media.putfile.com/Tiger-Strip-Venturie

Ray

Name:	Xu62558.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	656295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20573.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	656296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30825.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	656297  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:58 PM
fighting falcons

I am not to worried. Before I flew on the 12T with a lipo I should be fine. Just as long as I do not get cocky.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
DepronJet

I am not to worried. Before I flew on the 12T with a lipo I should be fine. Just as long as I do not get cocky.
[8D] You will once you get comfortable with the Stryker.. it brings out the Best or should i say the Wicked Pilot in us all MmuuuHAhhaha

Ray
Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Buggygovroom

I WANNA GO FAST!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Buggygovroom

IM ON FIRE!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
fighting falcons

VROOM VROOM! off she goes!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Buggygovroom

SHAKE N BAKE!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Buggygovroom

Hey depron,

Will a wemo microfan work fine as far as fitting it into the venturie? I still have it here in the box and I may have a nice power system for it if I can locate a non uk fan.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Yo Gryphon check it out bro! I fixed the thing you told me about and it worked beautifully. Look at the CF that you said I am suppose to put on there. It allitle bit short on both, but tell me when I call you after you see these pics ok bro.

Name:	Yw66767.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	656378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61106.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	656379  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
jeraldjcook

XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Make sure to use that new camera of yours to get a video of your maiden flight. I'm sure anyone who can hover a Typhoon on their first flight won't have any trouble with a brushless Stryker.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Stryker_Viking

Heya to you all,

Thought I should try to respond to some questions and requests regarding my last build before it’s too late and I have become so old so I can’t remember my own name. . .

The idea behind this last build (003 engraved on spruce #1) was to create something of a “flying tank” to meet with the following requirements:

• Indestructible more or less.
• Must survive mid-air collisions forced upon her by this other Stryker (friend to one of our friends)
• Min. 30 mph faster then above mentioned plane.

In the case of a sneaky surprise attack from above, this rival would experience the devastating force of his wicked energy being reversed and find his plane splitting in half after hitting mine…

To achieve this, the following modifications were made:
• Wing profile thinned approximately 30%, not too extreme this first time.
• A skeleton made of CF- tubes and bars.
2 x the amount usually used, joined together with CF-thread and Epoxy.
Foaming glue used to secure CF to foem.
• Body and wing covered with CF-rowing stiffened even further.
• Medusa MR-028-056-2800 motor to keep that Mega behind.

Other details:
• Wooden elevons made of balsa & skinned with plywood.
• Extreme tape for hinging.
• Fins cut back 35%
• Spectrum DX-6
• 75 Amp ESC, 2A UBEC, low voltage alarm, Co-Pilot

Gryphon; I used tape for the sensor, Velcro seemed to flimsy.

Total weight:
oz. batt.
41.9 2100 4s Common Sense
43.5 2500 4s Twenty
45.8 3300 4s TPE
46.0 4500 3s TPE
47.9 3850 4s TPE
48.9 3300 5s TPE
Not too bad actually.

Well, it’s not bullet proof, but close – Gryphon can contest how it looked after maiden crash coming straight down in high speed into the ground. . . nada structural damage what so ever. . .

Hurry up home Gryphon so we can go flying again. . .

Stryker_Viking

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

ronrico418,

MY Stryker was/is 37 O.z with 3800 Extreme. roughly 2 o.z more on 3300-4S. it was also flown on 5000-3S, so that should have been about 40 O.Z. {keep in mind it had stock F-27C elevons and vertical fins and about a dozen feet of mostly thick C.F. strips and tubes}

This new Stryker (2nd one) has 5000-3S and Co-pilot, plus wooden elevons & wooden T.E.. Co-pilot has weight of 1 o.z. for its computer and sensor, add little more for it's 18" ribbon cable. I know in my recent post I guessed about 40 o.z. I want to change that to 43 O.Z. (will weight it when I get home), add Co-pilot and now we are knocking on 45 O.Z. {stock vertical fins)

I am fairly certain that Stryker_Viking's plane is no less than 45 o.z. my guess may be in the neighborhood of 50 o.z. if not more. I wouldn't mind wagering that he has strengthened his body more than most. I am very satisfied with the very small amount of flex/deflection on my wing, but his must be at least twice as stiff. He wanted to make sure to have no deflection if he could get up to 145MPH range on 5S.
I will not say more till he puts a post up, it is wrong of me to talk about his plane. But I'm sure if you ask him about his Stryker's weight. He would be more than happy to answer you. He has built a bad a-- Stryker and he has a lot to be proud of.

ronrico418 You have 4 extra 2ft C.F. pieces at about 0.5 grams per inch. That is about 1.7 o.z. if my math is right, so call that about 2.5-3 o.z. with epoxy, if the rest of your C.F. equals my first bird's 11' to 13' of C.F. you will not be much over 45 o.z. even if close to 50 o.z. you'll be fine.
Keep your minimum speed up to prevent a stall and gradually test the limits of min flying speed while flying up high. Skip those extra 4 pieces on next build and save yourself that 3 o.z.
How are the wooden T.E(trailing edge). and wooden elevon's coming along? I hinged mine in the middle using paper CA hinges for ¼ scale planes because I already had some. But I also used 3M extreme tape to hold the T.E in place, I didn’t want to trust my investment to just have it’s wooden T.E.being only epoxied to foam, neither did Buggy back when he built his.
For now run stock vertical fins, decide if you need to change them later on depending on your bird's flying characteristics. I use Extreme tape in the front and sides of the stock vertical fins.
Point the plane up 45 degrees or so and launch with a semi firm throw. I use full throttle and I think about how to move my hand though the air to clear the prop each and every time I launch. The bird does not even dip an inch and climbs very violently. Be safe and use Bungee launch if desired, but I know it is not required.

I am planning on building a 60 o.z. Stryker next with a 1.25LB battery, nearly 9 o.z. (motor and heat sink), with and without a 90MM Duct fan.......I will not use a bungee launch because none will be needed.
All parts are home, except some epoxy, and another receiver.

If I remember right, Stryker_Viking does have a video cam and we can have another friend take some videos of our birds.

Gryphon

Name:	Mk26017.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	656593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27191.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	656594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57957.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	656595  
Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Gryphon

XxOoCoBrAoOxX,

You know you jumped the gun a little bit, and your C.F. arrangement is more like a hybrid of what I was trying to tell you. Should be alright.
Find those two left over 11" Strips and the rest of the short strips and tubes and we can tie a few points together to make it stronger.

After all you are only flying on 3S and should not go over 110MPH by much in a straight line.
Maiden on 85MPH range, and if it any point you start to have issues we can cut off the trailing edge along with C.F. strip that is in the edge of the hinge line and the F-27C Elevon’s. We can then do the wooden T.E. and Elevon using paper hinge in the middle.
If I was fine on 3S, no reason you’ll have any issues.

We will make your next fuse stronger, but again I really hope you consider wooden elevon's next time.
I can see you getting hungry for more speed later on. Your new TP charger and TP balancer are good for 5S. in a blink you'll itch for 120-130MPH on 4S.
On 4S the stock elevons will not let you fly straight, mine starts to bank to one side.

**This new Stryker that has been built does have wooden T.E. and wooden Elevons, so 92A on 4S should no longer be a problem.
I will soon find out what 5S can do and what problems will have to be resolved in/for a future Stryker..

Personally I love to learn new things and pass on the info. I will tell what worked and I will tell where I failed.
If we are open to share things with each other we can all come out ahead.

Thanks to Stryker_Viking I made my balsa elevon's stronger than hell without any real added weight.

***Buying the parts does not get you welcomed to the DARK SIDE. Flying it successfully and safely will get you in.

Later,
Gryphon
Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Gryphon

Stryker_Viking

HEY THAT IS ME IN THE PICTURE TRYING TO TAKE A CELL PHONE PHOTO OF YOUR BIRD IN CASE IT CRASHED.

Well it did crash at high speed......FOLKS IT TOOK NO DAMAGE...NONE

I didn’t want to say anything till he posted, and he did, just now.

That is the strongest Stryker that I have ever imagined. I don’t know about the Glassed ones, but he is using some thing like a C.F> blanket and epoxy....WOW

He is also talking about my best friend with a big MEGA on his Stryker who likes to ram other Strykers.

Stryker_Viking..it does not matter that I want to be roommates with you, if talk about MEGAs I'm going to ram you myself......Fact is that I will bust my Stryker in half if I do....You have the ULTIMATE STRENGHT FUSE.

I think you will take me on 3S. On 4S it'll be even, but I think I'll take you on 5S. Your higher KV prop will just be too small to generate enough thrust to push you at those INSANE SPEEDS. What are you going to run 4.1X4.1????

You better use your 120A ESC, other wise on 3S I will have to throw you a tow line with your 75A ESC.

That would be some video, the 3 of us going over 120MPH and buzzing each other's Strykers Close way up high.

After I talked to you on the phone, I do agree and I am going to use double sided servo tape to mount the Co-pilot sensor.

You and my other friend are both telling me to hold off on my maiden till I come home...My relatives are working and busy all the time and are not coming with me to the field....In case some thing happens I'll need help to find the wreck spot and recover as much parts as possible.....so I am now thinking of waiting for this maiden till the two of you can be around...

Strkler_Viking when I start freaking out again on my maiden...remember your hand on my shoulder calmed me down last time...LOL...seriously I should be fine this time. Last time was first flight after 7 months and I had 3 times the power...It was just too much.

Miss you buddy, see you soon..... I'm itching to get back home.
p.s. I have an interview for an engineering job here in 5 hours better get off line and to bed.

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.