Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Pico Cub on floats

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 AM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Pico Cub on floats

Has anyone tried the Pico J-3 Cub on floats yet? I got one last week and have set it up for some float flying. I changed the IPS motor/gearbox that came with it for a GWS 350 D set to get a little more power. I can go to a brushless set up if that isn't enough. It does look cool setting in my hot tub. The weather here is really nice now so may be able to try it this weekend.

Pete
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: GWS Pico Cub on floats

I have the GWS Beaver with Floats on it. I had the original 350 motor on it and it flew well. I eventually move up to the brushless set up with Lipo power and now get crazy long flight times out of it. It has made for a wonderful little float trainer on my small pond. Because I have a small pond, water take offs were difficult (though not impossible) and I end up hand launching all the time.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 AM
jmupilot

Went overf to the local pond and got a few flights, it was fine until the wind picked up. It is a handful on take off runs 3 flips until i got it right. Landing was like a feather its so slow it just kinda plops down. Took a few pics of it on the water.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23545.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	585113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10130.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	585114  
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
soarhead-RCU

Nice looking Cub jmu. I have one also with plastic picnic plate snow skis, Its still IPS powered but take-offs and lands great , light as a feather. I noticed you also put ailerons on yours. Do they work OK on the undercamber wing, some people say yes and others say they get adverse yaw and the turns look all goofy.
Happy flying
Bob
Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
jmupilot

Nope, not any ailerons on this one. But boy its a handful on takeoff from the water. I have heard also that the underchamber hinders more than it helps

Hand lauchs are fun but withthe added drag of the flots its almost underpwered. I have a Brushless I think I'll try. Never enough power when flying off water.

PEte