Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

North American made Slow Flyers

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

North American made Slow Flyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:22 PM
jskrebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North American made Slow Flyers

I have completed my quest for an American made radio by making my own Microstar out of an old Proline.

Now I am looking for the best North American producers of Slow and park Flyer airplanes, Yes, I know the flight pack will have some asian content!

Best Recomendations:
Old 01-29-2003, 01:09 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a strange request ,, did you actually stop and think what you were typing?, I have seen what is.......... the fastest? the best? the cheapest, the most crash resistent? the lightest? the nicest? and which ones come with........cool decals?, motor(s)? radio systems? , ARF? naked women?,beer? but I have never heard of anyone even caring as to where they/it were/was produced as being a problem.......maybe COX if they are still made in the USA ... I am as american as apple pie white male 44 born in Mass. you want american, i dont know of a manufacturer, you want fun get a GWS stick...Rog
Old 01-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Arrow>>-->

A couple that I can think of are Mountain Models and Todd's Models both mkae excelent looking planes Like the Gym e and Todd's Tiny and Tiny X. Pretty sure both are US Companies.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:10 PM
jskrebs

flyinrog:

You crack me up!
Got my Beer and Naked women covered anyway!

I'm just trying to do my part to support the North American cottage RC industry. I took a 20 year detour from RC and when I came back all my heros were gone!

50'clockcharlie Thanks for the lead.

"If you don't insist on & buy more american content, you may end up washing your friends underware for a living, and how terrible would that be?"
Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay ,welcome back, lots of changes huh? so what engines are you looking at?..I had heard of Mountain Models but forgot about them ,,glad you got the important stuff covered and that they are american, uh wait, you dont drink imported beer do you?..Rog
Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 AM
jskrebs

Believe it or not I have a zip loc full of vintage COX TD's and Golden Bee's. But I am really keyed up about the developments in Electric models in particular the Brushless stuff. I live in a State Forrest and there are not a lot of large open places (lots of trees) so the park flyers have a lot of appeal.

What got me started in the American kick was when I went to get parts for my Wattage Lightning and Firebird II's, and the parts cost me more than the models did in the first place and they were delayed in shipment from China due to the west coast dock workers strike, anyway it became apparent that the RC hobby was being run by MBA Marketing guys and not the hobby guys that invented it in the first place. Typical, Check out WalMart.

I checked out Mountain and Todds and will most likley place an order soon with one of them.

I drink only Pennsylvania brewed Beer from Americas oldest brewery. I would post naked pictures of my wife but she might find out.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 AM
ElectriFan-RCU

I can't vouch for Doug of Mountain Models, but Todd Long is American - well at least he looks American. But I bought his Tiny-X for it's price/performance, and will happily recommend his Gym-E any day.

He is local (only 30 miles away) and have seen all his models and him fly - both among the best. To top it all, he is a great guy too - his store is his 'second' job. He needs to advertise more, and we have no hesitation in recommending his models because they are truly wonderful.

Also, since we do get our share of rain out here, his models are great indoor flyers too (well, the Wing-E needs really agile thumbs).
Old 01-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Arrow>>-->

As soon as my skills increase I will be getting either the Tiny or Tiny X there are very nice looking little planes. It seems that they are made for lithiums as well. If you want to check out some nice looking ones go to ezone and look at some of them on there people are flying.

Here is a link to Todd's Models
Old 01-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Dave_Gherardini

Herr kits are excellent kits. They are american and so is Tom. I wouldnt call them slow flyers because there not undercambered wings but they are but some people call they cloud ranger a slow flyer

Dave G

http://www.geocities.com/xstratus/index.htm
Old 01-31-2003, 12:02 AM
SalvageMan

jskrebs,
Be careful of ordering from Todd or Mountain Models. They use balsa and I don't think balsa grows in N. A.

Now if you want a nice spruce or oak plane.................

Chuck
Old 01-31-2003, 12:08 AM
jskrebs

I am happy with importing Balsa!
NA does not lose much value from that.

Odd thing, we recently uncovered locally (North Central Pa) It is cheaper to import lumber for making shipping skids from Russia, China, and Columbia than it is to cut it from the local forests.

Pretty much gonna have to live with importing micro servos, and battery packs.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:14 AM
KeithK
My Feedback: (4)

Get a Switchback sport from Doug at www.mountainmodels.com and then power it by an Astro 010. Doug and AstroBob are both fine Americans. But to be politically correct, order it on a day that is real windy in Colorado. That way the wind will blow the toxic fumes from laser-cut balsa into another country, or at least out-to-sea
Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a MMglider tech Lil Hornet, or should I say whats left of one. It is a good flying plane. After I get done rebuilding it I am going to put a nice little brushless motor on it. Good quality kit and grown in the USA.

Dru.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:43 AM
jskrebs

Hey,

Anybody remember or have plans for the Q-tee, I believe it was first a RCM plan and then it was kitted by Airtronics. I had one with a golden Bee (still have the motor) and flew the hell out of it.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:42 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Doug at Mountain Models is top notch as well as Bill Stevens at Stevens Aero Model. Both of them are always on E-Zone providing product support. My third Mountain Models kit is on the way and I'm on the waiting list for Bill's RV-4 kit. First rate kits and personal service.

Mountain Models:http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php

Stevens Aero Model:http://www.stevensaero.com/index.html

Oh yeah, they're Amerikans
Old 02-04-2003, 01:29 AM
jskrebs

Doug Rocks,

Getting a DuskStick, flight pak, battery and charger from him. May try a Switchback next!
Old 03-08-2003, 11:26 PM
jskrebs

Default Ye haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

All Done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61348_20421.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	31671  
Old 03-14-2003, 06:09 PM
John@Squadron55

Here's some more N. American parkflyers...although I'm not sure where our balsa comes from...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62928_18809.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	31672