Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Now lets see here. Sray says to stop flying where Mark flies because the flying might be banned by the Mayor/Sherrif. Hmm. So lets analize this for a minute. Don't fly so you can continue to not fly. Or fly because you can but risk not flying. Sray, use the shiney metal wrap that clearly says "Foil". The foggy wrap is waxed paper.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
iflyatcae

Lou, I've done everything in the book, and everything you reccomended, but Im still not getting notifications.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Sundance, try contacting rcu, my email notification works fine
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
ktaylor

Sundance, mkae sure that your email adress is correct as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

How, pray tell would the ban work? If I took one of my modified aces would that fall under the ban? Unmod'd they set a blistering 10mph, The single stir stick with a lipo port is closer to 35-40 mph. Both flyable on a standard house lot. The ss is bigger, but I'm told it won't fly much faster than about 20. I doubt the estes p-51 is going to do much more that 25. PM rated the dragon fly at 18 mph. All Lipo, so the same theoretical fire potential. How do they make the ruling? And how about rc cars, are they a problem? Why not? I guess you could make an argument over noise with the gassers, but you had better be able to show that every noisy exhaust on cars and bikes had been dealt with.

I'm not saying some nitwit won't try it, but I think what would be happening is that people were showing that they were afraid of anything that flies. Just my $.02.

Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM
afineman

Ryan

Set a timer for every 30 min, that is the post rate day or night, SSOO the alarm going off will be the notification

TO the NEW GUYS, Welcome aboard ( Kev-Flash, Knighteyes).

Stryker as a first plane and brushless to boot, could be done if you had a lot of simulator time.

Do you still have the Slow Stick?, and would you like to try again.

OOHH OOHH I have an activity suggestion, Skeet Shoot, we'll bring our shot guns (with bird shot) well set up 4-5 position firing line, but each position can ONLY shoot straight (+/- 10 deg angle).

This way there won't be 5 guns going off at once and we will know who gets the kill (if any one), if you shoot out side your zone and get the kill, the kill will be awarded to the person in that zone, not you.

Pilot rules are you must be flying down with in the bounds of the runway and MUST be a MAX of 50 foot high.

Obviously awards, most kills, least kills and on the pilot side, most shots survived, and least, and most spectrala shoot down.

I have a SG GWS Zero that would be PERFICT for this, I have a Walker motor and gear box that would do this proud.

Just a thought

Brent

Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 PM
ConRMan

[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]Question: Where is the CG on a Firebird Freedom? Mine seems to be really tail heavy - CG just inside the rear edge of the wing - I don't think that's good but on this plane it could be.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:54 PM
gunfighterII

ConRman,
CG is 25-30 percent of the wing chord back from the leading edge. This is true for most planes.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have a question. The length on the antenna doesn't matter to freq right? I'm thinking of adding more antenna to one of my fast aces. I know that I will be adding drag, but I would love to have more range. I seem to be in some format of racetrack to keep it in range. More than 10-15 seconds without a bank is a problem. Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
gunfighterII

FAF,
No can do, antennae length is fixed.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Farfignugen, I thought that would be an easy fix. I hate getting to the 1-2 second delay range. And I've gotten the aces fast enough that I get there in a hurry. Three monthes ago this was a minor irratant now if I try to fly at full throttle for any longer than thirty seconds, without banking or catching a thermal I'm bound to get into the bring it around game. Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
d-leet

Gunfighter, is that true for all cases? How about if he doubled the antenna length, therefore keeping a similar ratio to the wavelength? Also I thought there was some leeway, as different channels could use the same antenna. For instance at 72MHz, there is over 5cm difference in wavelength between channels 15 and 60 (72.09 and 72.99MHz). But I haven't studied antenna design much, it's quite possible I'm completely full of hot air on this matter.

I had a mildly eventful day here - while watching some video lectures, I put my new [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedhobbies/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3824]charger[/link] and all 6 of my stock AB packs through their paces. I did slow and fast charges, slow and fast drains, and kept tally along the way. They're all in the same ballpark, but I did identify three packs that consistently do better than the rest. My only issue was, this charger doesn't display a summary of charge (mAh) delivered to the battery. I've been estimating from length of time and charging current, although the latter changes (decreases) as the pack nears full capacity. Any advice on this issue?

After sorting the batteries, I finally had a night flight that went for a full battery and didn't end in disaster! It flew nice, the wind was under 5kts out of the East. I kept the altitude reasonable, and orbited mostly overhead to keep things under control. On the landing, I did have a small issue leading to a divot. As I was getting near eye level, I lost sight of the underwing lights (as expected, since I was banking). I would've been fine, however I lost my trust in the plane's behavior. Now second-guessing myself, I sharply corrected when I didn't need to. I did regain sight of the lights, but I now had to flare hard to miss the fence. I cleared it, but had no choice but to then plop nose-first in to the berm. The 9v LED battery and one rubber band popped off, but otherwise no harm done. A much better flight than my last night experience!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Oh, I think that I should mention that the rubberbands for the SS that the san diego flight club recommend are size 64. My lhs was not interested in figuring this out. On my last crash of the ss the rubber bands all snapped. I went online and discovered that #64 rubber bands are a stock item at staples. 1# for $5. I have rubber bands for ever. Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 PM
ktaylor

Dan, cool job on the night flight. You gotta stop though, makes me want to fly something at night. I used to fly my badius at night using light wire and a string of flashing red LEDs in the tail. Only got two flights off like that until the stock elevator servo failed & it nose dived at full throttle. That was how Liz and I rang in the new year a year ago, sometime around 3 in the morning. Really has me tempted since there has been way too much wind during the day lately, only time there isn't wind is at night.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
export!

Well after the Beaver crash at least I had something good happen today.

5-S I finally got the scale that I won in your lotto! I think it's been about 6 years now! It's nice - very very accurate compared to the scale I was using. I have all my bases covered now. My other scale goes up to 30lbs but it is not at all accurate when weighing parts under 1oz or when comparing parts before and after painting/gluing etc or when comparing servos, escs. Very nice.

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Airbourne in Japan

it's a holiday today here and i went to the club with my 'familiar' planes expecting there to be people there but there wasn't anyone. so i had 5 good flights, f27, old formosa 250 watt formosa, first flight on the old pc9 this year and the zero. broke the gearbox shaft on the old formosa when it landed and the zero was acting like it was tail heavy on launching, it went all over the place and i was lucky not to crash it. anyway i recovered it and enjoyed the rest of the flight. i brought it in just in time as when i checked the motor the gb spur pinion had come loose. probably the reason why no one else was there is that today is the day when people go to the family grave to clean it after the winter and put flowers there.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
five-string

Export, glad to hear you like the scale. I really like mine. The limit of 17 ounces is a little on the light side but I can always weigh components separately.

Glad you enjoyed teh video, Ray. Did it look good or grainy/jumpy?

A unicorn on my pink SS? A little careful trimming with my xacto and he'll be my trusty steed. Hi-ho, Silver! AWAY!!

I hope you didn't put glitter on my plane like you do on yours.

Oh, and I only fly when I know the sheriff/mayor is busy working in the general store, sorting mail.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

How about this for nutty airplanes, my "parameter" plane got stuck on the roof, I made the silly assumption that it woud be blown down in the morning. We had an unexpected freeze that night. The plane was indeed blown down. I put it on the factory charger and it was toast. Never mind, The bloody thing is toast. Tim
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Airbourne in Japan

excellent my gws fw190 is coming this evening. gonna build it soon
Old 03-21-2007, 04:46 AM
gunfighterII

d-leet,
Not sure of your wavelength theory, I guess you could give it a try. I believe the antennae length is determined by the modulation your using, not the channel frequency. This could be different in regards to 27Mhz radios, I've always heard never alter length on 72 Mhz radios.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 AM
Airbourne in Japan

excellent. tired from this mornings flying, had beer this afternoon and went to sleep at 3pm, woke up at 5.30 pm when the wife and kids came back in, but the post man was supposed to be coming with my gws fw 190 between 5 and 7. luckily i hadn't missed him, as he came just now, 6.50 with not one, but 3 boxes, the fw190, the .25 modeltech extra from hobby people and another formosa s/g from tower, all really quick delivery. needless to say i'm a happy bunny. had to sign for them all which was a bit difficult with the dog jumping up on the gate (she loves deliveries). hi Mike !! hey how much wind do you think the serbart katana could fly in ?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guns is correct you can not increase the range by increasing the aerial length, range is down to the amount of millwatts out of the Tx, although you may get a small increase by lengthening the aerial the RF section of the Rx will be overloaded and could burn out.

Have you guys seen this LiPl ballancer/Charger it charges each cell individually, mine arrives today.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23545.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	646441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37382.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	646442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52416.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	646443  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 AM
BaldEagel

Told you it would arrive today, bit dissapointed it took 32hrs to get here thats 8hrs longer than the wing bags took, I just don't belive how quickly everything is getting here from the US, or am I getting my days confused, I may be taking the same drugs as Hazy, no its the G&T's that do it.

Put the charger on one of my supposedly already balanced packs and it showed an inballance of 0.1volts from one cell it ballanced the three cells and then started a charge sequance to get the pack to peak charge, at the moment its showing 4.15, 4.09 & 4.16 during the charge and charging the cells at 0.1, 0.2 & 0.1 respectivly so its bringing the centre cell up to the other two, inpresed so far.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34557.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	646447  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 AM
BaldEagel

Cells one and Three have reached 4.2volts and have stopped charging the middle cell is at 4.19 and is charging at 0.2amps, now down too 0.1amps, both the other cells have an idicator that says OK on the screen, I think I am going to like this charger/ballancer.

Mike
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Mike,

Sounds like a very nice charger. I use the thunder power balancer on the balance leads, and charge through the deans with my triton. I don't know how exact this is, but I can say i am very pleased with the life of all of my batteries, so it must be ok. That would be sweet to know exactly what is going on. Must be a techy "control" thing, but watching the back balance to the hundreth of a volt is somehow liberating. No more concern over an unbalanced pack, or and overcharged cell leading to a fire. That or a few GT's, either one will make the worry disappear.

Fern,

I suppose with as small as those lipo's are it wouldn't take a lot to freeze them solid. I have forgotten mine in my truck overnight in very cold temps and have had no problems. I am not sure what temp those chemicals actually freeze. I have also had them sit in my mailbox in sub freezing temps when I have mail ordered them with no issues. Anyone know the freeze point of lipo's?

Doug,

I think this new Katana will be a whole different animal. Atlanta Hobby and Extreme flight has entered a whole new class starting with the Extra 300. I think that new fiber material would be really strong. I want a Katana and it is between the one I linked for you from Atlanta Hobby, the 3Dhobbyshop Katana, the Fliton Andrew Jesky, and the Serbart. I think they are all good, and they are all within a few buck of each other. the Sebart is a little heavy for a 3 cell I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.