Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Greetings All

RCU suggested that we start a new thread, something about our thread with over 22,000 posts not working well with their software (Hee Hee Hee).

Here is the link to the last Badius Owners Club (that no one in their correct mind would try to read it all) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2498521/tm.htm this was a continuation of this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1283264/tm.htm

It is our pledge to keep the same format as the previous thread. No Topic, Friendly, Sharing of knowledge and Excess inventory (our version of Paying it Forward).

We currently have quite the collection of participants Glow, Electric, Control line, Fixed wing, Rotary wing, AMA, Outlaw, Self taught, Instructor trained, we pretty much run the gamete of this hobby.

So welcome ALL, to our virtual RC club where you are welcome to ask any question and will NEVER be told toā€¯ just use the search featureā€¯.

I was given the nick name Hollywood by my peers for the reason of the number of movies I have made over the last 3 years. In keeping with my name here is my welcome video http://rayhaywood.com/videoarchive/WelcomeMovie.wmv this includes some of my trips to meet some of the boys during this past summer.

Because I was post 1 on page 1 of the last thread, I was collectively asked to start the new thread and I consider this to be an honor. So lets begin, grab a beverage choice, sit on down, limber up the typing fingers and let the fun continue.

Enjoy

Brent

EDIT: Pappy (Captain Randy) has put a web page together with all our pictures on it, he asked me to put a link to it in this post http://www.sharlottesmith.com/Badius_Boys_Pics.htm .

Edit: for the first time ABer with a million questions. Here is a link to CarlF's set up methods http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#4522103

This page will be dynamic, so check back often

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

HAA HAA, I get post #2 and here is apicture of what my wife is getting me for our anneversary next month. 109 foke wolf 48" wingspan. made for a .25 gasser, but you guys know me, it must be electric! probably go with the same motor that I have on big red. HXT42-50

Brent, also with the 123 cells, here's how I'm charging them. I'm using my Hitec Ni-cad charger set for 16 cells (24 volts). I keep my multimeter hooked up with it. I set it for 3 amp charge rate (maxed out) and set a timer for 35 minutes. When the timer goes f I check to see where the voltage is. Usually it's been around 21 volts. From there I monitor it (boring!!!!) until it hits 24 volts. Then I stop the charge & watch the voltage drop back down on the pack. If it goes under 21.6 volts I set it at a 1 amp charge rate & run it back up to 24 volts again. That usually gets it to where the packs drop back down to 21.6-22 volts. Slightly over charged, but I don't have any other way to charge them correctly. When Rockne made the packs he also put a balancing tap in place. So far the cells have all stayed really close. within .005 volts of each other. Got any idea of how I could modify my Kokam 3 cell lipo cut-off device to shut off at the right voltage & just use that to charge the Dewalt packs with?

Oh yeah, I guess I'll do an intro like Brent & sundance,, I'm Ken a.k.a. Blisters & Kate. For a long time I couldn't do any soldering without getting a blister. Lou started calling me Kate because when he would see the Ktaylor thing it just came up in his mind as Kate. A few others have joined in on that as well. I'm thinking I may have to get a model of that Japanese warbird that they knicknamed "Kate"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93371.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	589717  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I guess I'll get in on this thread early as well. I'm sundance, the youngest Badius boy at 17. I mostly fly a magpie for aerial photography (about 2,800pics) and altitude records (current is 2976ft). I've been flying for about two and a half years, and it all started with the badius.

I'll go ahead and tell you that if you have a question, ask it. There is just about NOTHING we haven't or won't talk about.

So lets go. I think we can get a 900 pager or more here.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood, Thank You for starting this new thread so we can continue to do what we do best, just have fun and share in the stories,

Well I'm Kent or AJ or accasionaly the Beave, I got that nick name because I had a GWS Beaver once and went a little crazy with it and it got to be the brunt of some pretty funny post for a while there, I have been flying for 3 years now, I bought a couple planes so my son and I could go out and fly, he lost intrest and I didn't. I was having serious problems getting my Cub to fly and found this site, the guys here took me in under their wings and walked me through the rough times and helped me learn to fly. I have since become the recipient of a few planes that were being handed down and I made it a point to fix them up to make them proud to have given them to me and to fly them to the best of my ability. I think I'm becoming known as the one that when you think you have trashed a plane send it to me and I can fix it and make it fly again. I do love to build and repair planes. I build and have built many planes now some have flown well some have failed badly but it's all about having fun

So I want to offer a warm welcome to any and all that might come here looking for help
You HAVE come to the right place

I'm gonna start start this show with a little flight report . OK after 2 months of working on my E-Starter I finaly got to take it out for it's maiden flight after all it's mods, It was a bit cool this morning at 45 deg, but it was very nice. Well I set her down and taxi around a little and found the rudder has no effect on the turning on the ground. So any way off we go and she lifts off within 10 ft and gently flys away, picture perfect launch , then I notice it's turing right all the time and is being rather difficult to handle, so I circle around and make a perfect landing. Found the rudder was trimmed right , OK trim it straight and off we go again, another sweet launch, this time everything is right on, trim is almost perfect so I just get some very nice relaxing stick time and then bring her down for another perfect landing. All in all this sounds normal but for those that know me I'm not realy very good at landings. But I nailed them today. I can't wait to get her out again

Carl, realy like the formosa, it's looking good

here's a pic of me hovering the Beaver in some mild winds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pn37002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	589726  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
gunfighterII

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All,
Welcome to everyone! The Eagle has landed.[sm=greedy.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Oh, the intro thing, My name is Mac and I've been flying for close to 18 years now and I'm one of the glow flyers here, although I'm working on my first electric and hope to have it ready in the next couple of months. The plane will weigh as much as the cat! 18lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz77049.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	589737  
Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kent, sounds great! Is that the same E-starter you were using a year ago? Hey, I have something coming your way. Curious to see if you have any better luck with one of them than I had. Not tellin what it is though. It will go in the mail tomorrow.

Brad, I got the nosegear for the p-38 today. I've tried using that foam before. It's also called cross link foam. & your right it is indestructible. The only thing is the wieght. There's gotta be a way to use this stuff in planes without it weighing a ton. And I don't just mean for battery padding, but more along the lines of actual plane parts. Send some big chunks to Kent if you have them. He's our resident foam sctratch build guy.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

looks like the old thread is gently being closed,,,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5203062

EDit,, Mac,, are you saying you're gonna make the Eagle be an electric????????? AWESOME!!!!! You gonna let me help you figure out the power plant for that big guy? Come on, you saw the my video of how much power I was pulling my 5 lb plane with didn't you? That was 576 watts.. 18 lbs, you're gonna be needing about 2000 watts. Yeah baby,,, We can do that...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok guys... Here we go!... again!!!

Welcome or Welcome back to All!!

I have hung out with these guys for about 2 years and I'll tell you, there in not a better place to be on the web if you are into RC Flying!

This is a hobby where learning, sharing, success and failure happens to us all.... Each of which builds lasting friendships.....

We can't wait to hear your questions, read you flight reports, check out your photos and watch your videos...

This it what helps to make it FUN for all..... Again, Welcome!!

OH, one more thing...This really is an Accipiter Badius!!!! [sm=lol.gif]

Carl -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ig12035.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	589750  
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Stingray69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi gang, Fancy meeting you all here.

Since posting a bio is the proper thing to do on a new thread. Hello all. I'm Stingray. You can call me that or Ray, or Sray, or even Raymond when I'm naughty. I've been flying electrics about a year now. I'm self taught but have relied extensively on the senior members here for advice and guidance. Most of it's good info. All the regular folks here are great. The best part of this forum is all the sharing of ideas and passing along spare parts. No other place like it. You can brag, you can moan, and most of all have fun.

Sray
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
patnchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, All,
I'm a self taught newbie, here.....I'm Pat and at 56 I'm not at the stage where I can spend all my time building and flying....Still gotta work fer a livin'.....Pat
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
TerryE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good morning, Happy New Year and Hello Page 1 Nice to be here with my virtual "buds"

OK, a bio: My callsign is Glassman (which has everything to do with me putting my new Badius through my house window when I was learning to fly. I got overconfident, tried to catch it, missed and... C R A S H [:@]) Luckily the windows were under warranty, and I got a new one. Was done so quick the wifey does not even knoiw it happened

I have been with the Badius Boys for quite a while, joining on the original "Does anyone fly Acipiter Badius in here?" thread. I have, and still fly my Badius, and was even contracted by Shun-Da (the factory) to re-write the BAdius manual. If anyone would like a revised manual, let me know and I will send it to them. I have been involved with the RC hobby since I worked in a Hobby shop when I was 16, then took a loooong hiatus and just got back into it about 3 years ago. I am not a great flier (just ask Mark about his Stryker), but I do enjoy flying, and building. Total outlaw - never joined the AMA, and don't plan to unless something really changes; self-taught (believe me - the hard way) and willing to help whenever and wherever I can.

Also, if anything goes wrong around here, it is my fault. Started with me finding a great deal on a $49 chopper, convincing some others to buy it... and none of us were ever successful - was a piece of junk in reality. Anyway, ever since then I am the designated scapegoat.

Anyways...... now on with important stuff - nice day today - may try to maiden the delta.

Mark: Give me a call and we will arrange.

Terry
Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All

I'm Mike and am accused of having an accent and bieing involved with sheep, I think I am the oldest member of this thread although I have not given my age away as yet, I'v been involved with RC aircraft and helis for about 40 years, oh dear thinking about it its 50 years, I am getting old, thats depressing, still as I always say you are only as old as the female you are feeling.

I fly all sorts of aircraft from 10Lb electric too 58cc gas as you Americans are wont to saying, its Petrol where I live.

Welome aboard to any newbies and a happy new year to all.

Mike

EDIT: Forgott to mention when the sun gets over the yard arm its G&T time.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gunns

What Eagle did you get in the end?

MIke
Old 01-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Adam G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I made it back to the office in time to get a post on the first page, yessss! I know this will come as a shock to you , but my name is Adam. I fly gas, glow, and electric planes and heli's.

Just got back from the flying field and had some awesome flights. Flew my Yak and T-rex, and still made it back to the office in an hour. Gotta love having a field close by. We had a "freeze fly" on Jan 1, and a bunch of guys shoveled off the runway so I was able to land. Not much room for error, don't want to miss.

Met a buddy of mine out there and he had ski's on his u-can-do. Can't quite get it to hover with the extra wieght, but touch and goes sure looked like fun.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pn36955.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	589792  
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM
omeiwon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI ALL YOU ROOKIES
SINCE WE ARE new to this thread we should all put up a photo on page 1
so HERE'S MINE With my Daughter FLYIN A 182.
& WELCOME ALL the new guys TO COME. remember TO PAY IT FORWARD GUYS.
omeiwon (JR)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rp44616.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	589793  
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi i'm Doug and i live in Japan because my wife is Japanese. i've currently got 115 planes, about 40 built and 15 more to do over the winter. i fly usually 2-3 times a week at my club (the only place to fly here, no parks or fields to speak of) and i will be busy with maidens for a long time. it usually snows here for 3 months of the year, but this year there's no snow on the ground, but i'm staying by the heater and concentrating on building and flying my new micro heli. anyway welcome to the forum any new people and ask away if you have any questions or feel free to post about plane and heli stuff (sorry cars don't go down too well here). i'm English by the way. we also need some female fliers to keep a gender perspective. any out there ???
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All, I'm a fairly new member here, I think I might be the newest serial poster. My name is Tim, fly modded out aero aces and picco z heli's, and my poor lonely gyrotors occasionally. I try to fly at least 30-60 minutes every day. I'll post plane pic's later.

Omie, I'll look for a pic o me later. Back to work, Custom towel holders. Yippee. Tim

Patnchris, I'll check the PO on the way home and let you know whether the package arrived, Tim

Better bio. I've been flying micro 2 channels for almost a year. I try to fly for an hour everyday. I also mod the planes. My goal is to find good mods that a young teenagers can do with their parents. I try to avoid the exotic stuff. What's in the box or what is easily available. I am a former mechanic and have worked on most everything, Italian and French cars make my head hurt. German and American were my mainstays, most of the "British cars" are either fords or beamers. I am now a custom fabricator. I generally build front of the house restaurant gear. Sometimes I build other odd things. Our website is www.dineart.com. Tim
Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I just have to place our fellow flyer and beloved friend on the first page as well!

Roger Breckenridge (aka Sticks) was a great friend to many of us.

http://weflyelectric.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qo39740.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	589821  
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carl, nicely done, you beat me to it.

Me I'm GG, Best Boy, or just about anything else except Mudflap.
I'm the poor little rich boy of the bunch, or so they think.
Has something to do with the Cobras stashed in the garage, the wifey and her identical triplet sisters who've all worked for some guy named Hef. Could also have to do with the stuff I tend to send out to my buds here. Ok that and I'm building an Outlaw field dedicated to the boys here so they have part ownership in it and free use as long as they live.

Oh and when ever ANYTHING goes wrong it's Terry's fault.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
gunfighterII

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,
I bought the Great Planes giant scale Christen Eagle from Tower, it's quite the portly little unit, fat and stubby.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEUN1&P=0

I'm seriously thinking about this for power, it will fit without cutting holes for the cylinder heads.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBY69&P=0
Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, I'm Austin, and i think this thread is great. I read it all the time as though its a magazine, glad to be on the first page!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
djnsayne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What's up,

I am DJ Nsayne(Insane), real name Koran J and I have been flying for about 4 years now. Completely self taught and teaching a few on the Toytronix T-Hawk in my area. Also just to live up to the standards of the original Badius Boys, I have just ordered a badius and will fly it, crash it, then mod it as soon as it gets here. I am also a regional rep for CEN Racing so if any of you would like to dabble in nitro cars,trucks or buggies. Let me know. HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY POSTING!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Mac, for $899 you could buy a lot of electric stuff
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
djnsayne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yeah... the whole DJ Nsayne thing?..... well that's what I do for a living. I am a real professional DJ which is great cause that gives me a lot of time to dedicate to our hobby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hf97719.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	589940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84304.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	589941  
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
gunfighterII

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug,
I would'nt know where to begin trying to electrify a 18 lb plane, maybe I need to get Ken on his calculator to figure it up for me. I don't know if I can swing the twin, if not I will go for the BGX 3500 2 stroke, or make my first try at a gasser. A DA-50 would fit real nice on there for about $600.

DJ,
You'll make the 3rd DJ in our little group here, with Phil's DJ business and Brent's adult comedy routines, we could create one heck of a radio station.

Search this Thread